Surgical Technology and job satisfaction

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

WhitRid in Another small town, South Carolina

12 months ago

Hello all,

I appreciate any feedback I get because I really am unsure of what to do.

I have enrolled to begin at a local technical college to get a diploma in surgical technology. I've looked at several job search sites to see what career had the most openings (between surg tech/radiology tech/ and what I really want to do: diagnostic medical sonography). The one with the most openings: surg tech. Besides, there is no school within 2 hours of me that offers an ultrasound program. A local hospital even says new grads are accepted on their job listing. So as long as I can pass and do a good job hopefully there would be a job somewhere nearby that would take me when I complete the program.

A close friend is a RN and started out with surgical technology and loved it. He made good money and has friends that are still making good money as CSTs. To be totally honest, I really need a job making decent money and do not have the patience to work with patients while they are awake (nursing). I just want to know that for those of you out there that have been CSTs for a while- what are the pros/cons, other than finding a job (which will be difficult no matter what really if you aren't a nurse in these small towns).

Any advise is welcome.

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

AddyRaddy in Waxhaw, North Carolina

11 months ago

I've been a Surgical Tech for about 8 years now. While there are positive and negatives, the bottom line I would tell you is to go for Nursing. Here's the thing about nursing I didn't realize until I actually became a Surgical Tech...there are so many avenues to go down besides bedside patient care!!! If working with "awake" patients isn't your thing, go for OR nursing. You'll make triple the money & do a lot less work (sorry to my OR RN's but you know it's the truth). I make about $23 an hour, but that's because I've worked Saturday & Sunday every weekend for the past 8 years. Our shift diff for weekends is $4 v/s the OR nurse whose shift diff pay is $10. I'm in school for my BSN right now with 2 more semesters to go. While Surg Tech is a fast degree to get & good money for the time put in, there is no advancement in the career & only so many avenues to go down. Right now we have 6 techs going back for RN b/c they're burned out & want better pay. Almost all of our OR nurses were surgical techs. Good luck though & best of luck :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Average in Winnersville, Massachusetts

10 months ago

AddyRaddy in Waxhaw, North Carolina said: go for Nursing. Here's the thing about nursing I didn't realize until I actually became a Surgical Tech...there are so many avenues to go down besides bedside patient care!!! If working with "awake" patients isn't your thing, go for OR nursing.
I think those avenues are only available to experienced nurses who have paid their dues and have patient care experience under their belt. I don't think anyone can get around interacting with patients.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.