Surgical Technology questions

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (23)

AshClarke in Jacksonville, Florida

78 months ago

I am currently enrolled in the ST program at Concorde. I have lots of info hit me up sometime. Ashleyclarke1@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

BRINA in Georgia

78 months ago

DO ANYONE LIVE IN SAVANNAH GEORGIA WHO WOULD LIKE TO CARPOOL TO STATESBRO TO OGEECHEE TECH COLLEGE FOR SURGICAL TECH

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

chelsea30 in Riverdale, Illinois

78 months ago

Hi my name is Chelsea I live in IL and I completed the Surgical tech program in august of 07 and I havent found a job yet as a Surgical Tech I took a job as an OB Tech but most of my time was spent doing Patient Care and I wasnt utilizing my skills enough and I started to notice how I was loosing my skills everything I learned during school and my externship started to fade away It is getting close to april of 08 and I still havent found a job. This is a good field to get into and the pay is great here in IL, but only if you can get a position in a hospital as a surgical tech try finding a hospital that does not discriminate against new grads but most of them do here in IL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Clairabell in Evans City, Pennsylvania

78 months ago

Hello, I am a Surgical Tech. in the Pittsburgh PA area. I know in this area we are always short techs and looking for people to come and work in our hospitals. I don't know if moving is an option for anyone.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kris E. in Rochester, Michigan

78 months ago

Hi David:

I myself am currently enrolled at Oakland Community College & know that Macomb Community College is the only one who has a Central Sterile Tech program (you recieve a certificate upon completion). You being from Taylor; that might be totally out of the way but it's definatly a good start for sure! A lot of the times these programs will help you get a job once you get out; especially at the hospital you will extern at. If you can't find a CST program near you, Purdue University also has an online CST program you can take. I think it's in the $400.00 range; you should check it out.

In order to even get in the CST field, you must either have experience or a certificate; no-one especially a hospital will hire you without it. I work at Crittenton & have been here for 3 years trying to get into that department & they won't talk to me because I'm not certified.

Anyways, Surg Tech's make decent money & our ST program no matter what college should definatly hook you up with a job once you're out. Good luck to you & tell your wife to look on Craig's List or local college web boards; there's always jobs for MA's posted on there too! Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

David in Taylor, Michigan

78 months ago

Hi Kris. I actually just enrolled in the CST program for the Summer semester at Wayne County Community College Western campus in Belleville.I am going to take the clinical portion of it in the Fall...I just want to know that I will be able to get out a find a job as long as I get certified, although preferrably from my externship.
Wow, Oakland Community, that is not too far from where I am at.
I still have to take all of the Biology prereqs and then I am going to apply to the ST program at the Downtown campus in the Fall of 2009. Thanks for your tips on the job boards/craigslist...she still has had no luck, although a couple of interviews from which we are still waiting to hear back from.

jonesrp in Northville, Michigan

65 months ago

Did you ever complete the program David? I noticed that the program is now offered online so I definetly would like to consider it. If you completed, did you find a job?

David in Taylor, Michigan said: Hi Kris. I actually just enrolled in the CST program for the Summer semester at Wayne County Community College Western campus in Belleville.I am going to take the clinical portion of it in the Fall...I just want to know that I will be able to get out a find a job as long as I get certified, although preferrably from my externship.
Wow, Oakland Community, that is not too far from where I am at.
I still have to take all of the Biology prereqs and then I am going to apply to the ST program at the Downtown campus in the Fall of 2009. Thanks for your tips on the job boards/craigslist...she still has had no luck, although a couple of interviews from which we are still waiting to hear back from.

ddaniel87 in Flint, Michigan

65 months ago

no, I switched to Radiology instead. I got a job working sterile processing for Oakwood, and after seeing that the ST's only get paid around $15-$17/hr, I changed my major. I was just accepted to the Radiology program at Sinai-Grace hospital in Detroit, and it starts in July.
I also got a job working there as a transporter, so it will be very convenient.
I wish you all the best. Feel free to email if you have any more questions. I do have a much better idea of the health care field as I have done a lot of research and work for 2 hospitals. My email is ddaniel_87@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

jonesrp in Northville, Michigan

65 months ago

Thank for your feedback. I am currently enrolled in the CST program online at Purdue. I would like to work in Sterile processing P/T while getting my associates for ST. How easy was it to get a job at Oakwood in sterile processing? What was the pay range if you don't mind me asking.

Thanks for all your help.

ddaniel87 in Flint, Michigan said: no, I switched to Radiology instead. I got a job working sterile processing for Oakwood, and after seeing that the ST's only get paid around $15-$17/hr, I changed my major. I was just accepted to the Radiology program at Sinai-Grace hospital in Detroit, and it starts in July.
I also got a job working there as a transporter, so it will be very convenient.
I wish you all the best. Feel free to email if you have any more questions. I do have a much better idea of the health care field as I have done a lot of research and work for 2 hospitals. My email is ddaniel_87@yahoo.com

ddaniel87 in Wyandotte, Michigan

65 months ago

I really kind of lucked out. I actually work at Oakwood Southshore in Trenton, not Oakwood Main in Dearborn. I took all of the Sterile Proc. classes @ WCCCD and landed the job before I started my clinicals, which for CST are only one semester.
I have worked there since May 2008, and I get paid $12.35/hr, plus .75 shift differential for weekends/afternoons. However, at Dearborn location, all positions get paid a little higher. CST is closer to $13 plus shift diff.
Oakwood is on a hiring freeze right now b/c of the economy, and no raises for the next 6 to 12 months. I am earning the same pay that I started at in May of '08
I would suggest trying to get hired @ the DMC. Start for CST is $14. your chances are much better, and you will not need to be certified as long as you complete a program or have 2 years experience. They will not let me into that department unless I go back to WC and complete the clinical portion so that I can say I have completed the entire program.
I am about to get my year raise (I am a patient transporter) and I will be earning the same as starting wage for CST. So I am going to stay a transporter, then after 1 year in the radiology program, hopefully there is an open spot for a student tech.
Hope this was helpful.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

sheeba7714@aol.com in Chesterton, Indiana

61 months ago

chelsea30 in Riverdale, Illinois said: Hi my name is Chelsea I live in IL and I completed the Surgical tech program in august of 07 and I havent found a job yet as a Surgical Tech I took a job as an OB Tech but most of my time was spent doing Patient Care and I wasnt utilizing my skills enough and I started to notice how I was loosing my skills everything I learned during school and my externship started to fade away It is getting close to april of 08 and I still havent found a job. This is a good field to get into and the pay is great here in IL, but only if you can get a position in a hospital as a surgical tech try finding a hospital that does not discriminate against new grads but most of them do here in IL

You're lucky you are working in the ob unit.Yes it is hard to get a job in IL.I DID MY EXTERSHIP OUT THERE SO RUDE THEY ARE!EVEN IN Indiana or Michigan it is hard to find a job.

Ms. Gray in Southfield, Michigan

51 months ago

i was thinking about going into surgical tech. but when i found out what they really make $15.00 an hour or $16.00 an hour i said no way!!!! They really think iam going to work with a surgeon and just make that chump change. To everybody dont go for this field because its very hard to find a job!!! alot of these surgical tech schools will try to hype it up and say you will make 19.00 or 20.00 starting out please!!! So to everybody if you want to be in the health care field just go for NURSING!!! you will always have a job also i just got my lpn license and iam making $25.00 an hour. And i get as much overtime as i want!!!! going for surgical tech is a waist of time trust me!!!

ERICA26LOVE in baltimore, Maryland

51 months ago

David ST student in Taylor, Michigan said: Hi, my name is David and I am interested in becoming a Surgical Tech where I live in Taylor, Michigan.
The economy is very bad here!! Has anybody out there completed a certificate program for central sterile tech before completing there ST Program? If so, is your chances of being hired to this position from your clinicals good? I want to do this while I work my way through the ST program, b/c right now I work at Kroger, and my family andf I really ned better income right away!!! My wife just finished a 9 month program for Medical Assisisting and now she can't find a job...I really don't want the same thing to happen to me. Any advice fropm someone who has been there would be greatly appreciated!!

go for lpn , rn

DOAM in Houston, Texas

51 months ago

ERICA26LOVE in baltimore, Maryland said: go for lpn , rn

erica26love do you how much CST's get paid in DC,MD????

51 months ago

DOAM in Houston, Texas said: erica26love do you how much CST's get paid in DC,MD????

In md usually between $22-25 starting out. But CST's are'nt in demand here if the are hiring they want 1-2yrs experience.

51 months ago

Ms. Gray in Southfield, Michigan said: i was thinking about going into surgical tech. but when i found out what they really make $15.00 an hour or $16.00 an hour i said no way!!!! They really think iam going to work with a surgeon and just make that chump change. To everybody dont go for this field because its very hard to find a job!!! alot of these surgical tech schools will try to hype it up and say you will make 19.00 or 20.00 starting out please!!! So to everybody if you want to be in the health care field just go for NURSING!!! you will always have a job also i just got my lpn license and iam making $25.00 an hour. And i get as much overtime as i want!!!! going for surgical tech is a waist of time trust me!!!

thats true schools just tell you what you wanna hear to get ou in the door !!!

DOAM in Houston, Texas

51 months ago

ERICA26LOVE in baltimore, Maryland said: In md usually between $22-25 starting out. But CST's are'nt in demand here if the are hiring they want 1-2yrs experience.

Thanks for responding, i was thinking bout coming out there but its a big maybe. ill see in a year.

msb in Detroit, Michigan

51 months ago

@Ms.Gray What lpn program did you attend. I just completed cna and wanted to go further in the nursing field. So I wanted to start lpn and go to rn

frank in Detroit, Michigan

49 months ago

AshClarke in Jacksonville, Florida said: I am currently enrolled in the ST program at Concorde. I have lots of info hit me up sometime. Ashleyclarke1@yahoo.com

im in the st also im thinking of doin the central service tech to get work and cintinue with the st program help me wit some advice email me

j hon in Saginaw, Michigan

33 months ago

soo this is my question what will my major bee if i want to become a surgical tech ???

ImNotHisGirlfriendImHisWife in Randallstown, Maryland

32 months ago

ERICA26LOVE in baltimore, Maryland said: thats true schools just tell you what you wanna hear to get ou in the door !!!

Thats y i tell ppl to do there research first

Lyf Jaket in San Diego, California

14 months ago

I finished Surgical Tech school in 2009 and due to medical reasons I haven't been able to do surgery. Now I'm as good as new and I can go back to work as a surgical technician, problem is, I need to brush up on my skills. How do I find a place to give me a few hours a week to practice my skill?

jason habbo in Southfield, Michigan

10 months ago

I currently enrolled at Oakland Commnunity College, I am going to apply to the Surgical Tech Program after leaving the Respiratory program i have a 3.59 gpa i am just wondering has anybody taken the program at OCC, if so what was the Average Gpa that they accepted,if there was a waiting list and how many people they accept, how long the program is? thanks hopefully i hear something positive!

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.