surgical tech or medical assistant

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Chavon in kennewick, Washington

54 months ago

I have always wanted to be a RN that works with babies, but I now have 5 kids and don't have time to finish nursing school... I am torn between surgical tech and medical assistant.... I can't seem to find any surgical tech jobs in the tri cities and I don't want to waste my time... where do surgical techs primarally work and does anyone know how in demand they are?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

michelle

36 months ago

Not sure what decision you have made in regards to tech school. But I wanted to add that nursing school could last 2 - 2 1/2 years. This could be the same for Surg Tech school if an Associates Degree is attached. It took me 2 1/2 years to complete and I was going full time and working full time, until clinicals came up. I have my Associates Degree in Applied Science with a Certification in Surg Tech. I sat for the National Board Testing and I am now a CST have been for three years and I love everything about my job except lazy circulators (RN's). Good luck to you, I hope you have found a great school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Drew in Burke, Virginia

6 months ago

Not sure about your school or your credentials this is important. If u have no schooling in any healthcare but show intrest and have customer service background or are premed students started working in private practice Derm offices, $16-17 an hou they are high volume and they are always looking to hire. Some will do all your training on site including aseptic tech, surgical tool sterilization, fillers botox and pathology book keeping, they will teach u history taking and vital signs. and they will give you more tasks as u prove worthy like contacting patients with both benign and malignant reports. after two years go to ARMA American registry of medical assistants and u can become registered. You will not be a certified medical assistant but they are viewed as the same by almost all places. these jobs are plentyful if u get fired or get bored or sor like a doc who cares u will get snatched up in a heartbeat if u are a good communicator, multitasker, can prioritize, and above all have compassion for the ill. Pay in in dc baltimore area17-25 an hour plus benefit and bonus. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.