surgical tech

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

trying in Southfield, Michigan

17 months ago

i am a mother of three thinking about being a surgical tech does anybody think or know is it hard because its been a long time since i've been in school

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

catzii2 in Cumming, Georgia

17 months ago

Dear Trying, I also have 3 children and had been out of high school for 20+ years. When I made the decision to try to go back to school, I started out slowly. I enrolled at my local technical college in the Nursing Assistant program. (filled out the FAFSA forms online) It was only a 6 month program and the classes seemed fairly easy. So I balanced kids, work, and homework. It was a little difficult at first but I loved it and kept a 4.0 (sometimes I don't know how I did it). When I was almost done with the program I decided to take another step forward. I signed up for the Diploma program in Surgical Technology. The core classes were fairly easy, then studied my tail off for 2 1/2 months for the NLN. It is the pre-entrance exam to let them know if you are smart enough to even apply to the program itself. I got in, I was one of twelve in my class. They are very selective! A lot more homework, and the studying was intense! Later during Clinical Rotations... balancing family, work and school was a little more difficult. But I finished and kept a 3.88 gpa. The experiences, training, studying, tests every week, background screenings and vaccination updates, early hours... all worth it, every minute! **I say go for it** Try the core classes first to see if you can make it work with your schedule. Apply for state and federal funding assistance if you can. By the way, my kids were so incredible and supportive when I was in school they would ask me "Mommy, how was school today?" And they got to come to my graduation ceremony. It is worth it, Good Luck! Catherine, CST, CNA

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.