Tricky question for data analyst

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (11)

fabian, argentina in J.M. Bosch, Argentina

96 months ago

I will use it to learn that who gives it to me, is an idiot, and who is asking me the question... also is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

clvandyke@gmail.com in Seattle, Washington

96 months ago

Monty Livia in Johannesburg, South Africa said: Good day, i was asked this question in a n interview and i still dont know what the interviewer was looking for or trying to establish, please help

Questions asked: If you are given one brick, how or what would you use it for?

I was just reading this question in "Don't Blow the Interview" by Ralph Ferrone. This was his answer:

"This is another one of my favorites. One the surface it appears to be an innocent, no-strings-attached question. But in fact it is very revealing. Note that the sentence is structured to say: For what purpose would-as opposed to could-you use a brick? Saying would implies a specific action on your part, not a suggestive thought. Some common answers: as a doorstopper, a weight, part of a house, a walkway and so on. All are functional but passive uses that may reflect the personality of the interviewee; nothing aggressive or exciting that would breathe new life into a project or company. In contrast, the response, To throw through a window possibly indicates a proactive risk taker, who knows that being caught will lead to consequences. However, he or she is still willing to take that chance and profit from that action."

Not an answer I would think of giving but I hope this helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Monty Livia in Johannesburg, South Africa

96 months ago

Thank you so much fo the response clvandyke, much appreciated

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Shanda Thomas in Hattiesburg, Mississippi

94 months ago

If I were asked this question during an interview, I would respond by first indicating that the brick would represent the shell of an environment. The shell is hard on the outside, but soft on the inside. It can be broken with conclusive tools or it can held solid by content warehousing. The brick may also represent the company as a fortune 500 company, and you are given it to hold on to until you make your mark or you transition it to another person.

This would give the employer indication that you can think outside the box on any question asked, however, there is no right or wrong answer to this "tricky" question.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Joe in White Haven, Pennsylvania

81 months ago

No one in Phoenix, Arizona said: No offense, but I would use the brick to bash in my skull after listening to your answer.

I would have said, If I had no apperent use for it at the time I would probably stored it away under my porch to be use be used later when the a situation requiring a heavy cubed object presented itself.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

martti in Singapore, Singapore

70 months ago

Monty Livia in Johannesburg, South Africa said: Good day, i was asked this question in a n interview and i still dont know what the interviewer was looking for or trying to establish, please help

I'll bury it and hope that it will grow as a brick tree that will produce brick fruits. (Then poke the interviewer)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

SFA in Denver, Colorado

70 months ago

Reply with a question in turn: "If you found yourself wasting your time considering employment with a firm that had HR people too stupid to asking weird psycho-questions attempting to do so, what would you do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

joanllacey@hotmail.com in Bradford, Ontario

58 months ago

This brick would represent the new beginning or building block upon which I will build my career with your company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

joanllacey@hotmail.com in Bradford, Ontario

58 months ago

This brick would represent my new beginning or the building block upon which I will build my career with your company. As I grow with your company, then I will add check marks on it to represent more bricks. Thank You, Joan Lacey

mefromgtx in Grapevine, Texas

58 months ago

"I'd put the brick on a pallet and look for the rest, so we can build something. Just like in buiness. Take the smallest piece of the company and put all the pieces together and we are making something of significate value. Saving us $1 goes to the bottom line, saving a pallet of $1 really generates $$ for the bottom line."

That's my answer and I'm sticking to it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dineo Molobye,South Africa in Bellville, South Africa

44 months ago

My response would be:"I will use the brick as a steping stone to help have a different and higher understanding or perspection of the situation I am in(Status quo).

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.