Advice for Passing out Flyers

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

christax in Los Angeles, California

67 months ago

I have been daily passing out my tax business flyers at a Super Market shopping center in the parking lot.

I introduce myself, tell them I grew up here, and that I am passing out a flyer for my tax business.

I am warm, friendly, and low key.

Any advice to be more effective?

Chris

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

EA in New York, New York

67 months ago

Let us know what kind of results you get. I distributed 2,000 flyers last tax season offering a discount and I think I only got one client. I distributed them at shopping centers and also left small stacks at some businesses that allowed me to. So far my best results come from the internet and to a lesser extent direct mail.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

I have distributed personally 600 flyers so far. I am giving people a second time flyer. These are being given directly to people, not put on car window. I know and expect a low return.
Plus i am low balling prices. This is my first yr. I need a customer base and refferrals. I will let you know my results.

I have done heavy internet marketing too
A plus Web page
High in the goggle searches and multiple results

Chris

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

EA in New York, New York

67 months ago

Why are you low balling prices? What's going to happen next year when you want to raise them? All of those clients will leave. Would you rather do 20 tax returns for $200 each and make $4,000 or do 80 tax returns for $50 each to make the same amount of money? In the long term you will not make money in this business like that.

67 months ago

I am a register Calif Tax preparer. I worked for Liberty for 4 years. I have been passing out flyers at shopper markets. Take a look at net Free Turbo tax filing plus 14.95 for state. People are going to their friends who are not tax preparers and they are doing them for $40.00. The low end is only able to charge alot because the waived the next day RAL check in front of the client. And that has gone away this year. I have no client base. It is end of January and is prime time for the first waive of tax customers

Chris

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

EA in New York, New York

67 months ago

I don't care about the people letting their friends do it for $40 or doing it themselves online. Those same people will pay people like me $200+ to fix the mess they created when they get a letter from the IRS.

Your business model will not work because you are basically telling your clients that you aren't worth anything more than their neighbor that also does it very cheaply, so they have no reason to come to you. People like you are de-valuing the profession and it is truly sad. What people are paying for when they use a professional is your expertise (ie your education and experience), and that is worth may more than an uneducated/inexperienced person using TurboTax is worth.

I know many people that have done what you are doing (advertising ridiculously low prices) and they did not make it, either because they still couldn't get enough clients, or because they were working for almost nothing and could barely cover their costs, or because they could make more money working for someone else that charges reasonable fees.

Now that you are on your own I hope you are getting CPE to keep up with everything and that you really know what you are doing. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

I understand your point

I am a registered California Tax preparer. California is one of the very few states that have complied with 90 per cent of the new IRS testing and education requirements for like 10 yrs.

Please tell me how to get customers. I have no magic wond. I have been guerrilla marketing almost every day personally passing flyers out. Most people in their first year of business low ball to get clients. This is a refer business

Chris

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

SWOhioTaxPro in Dayton, Ohio

59 months ago

Chris Tax in Los Angeles, California said: I understand your point

I am a registered California Tax preparer. California is one of the very few states that have complied with 90 per cent of the new IRS testing and education requirements for like 10 yrs.

Please tell me how to get customers. I have no magic wond. I have been guerrilla marketing almost every day personally passing flyers out. Most people in their first year of business low ball to get clients. This is a refer business

Chris

EA from Philly is right! Your fees are WAY too low (I realize this post is old) and handing flyers directly to people very rarely works especially if you are tryng to talk to people in the process. People dont want to talk to a stranger approaching them outside of a grocery store. Putting them on cars is actually better. They will be more likely to make it into their vehicles. People are less likely to toss them on the ground. If you hand them to the people they will have a better opporunity to throw it in a can on the way to their car. If you get it on the window it atleast gets inside 8/10 and they will look at it. Now it will only register in their minds if the flyer is a) cathchy and b) offers some sort of discount. i.e a $200 fee with $50 off for a referral or something like that. $50 off in BIG PRINT. PS you'll need upwards of 2000 flyers to make this worthwhile... thats a lot of colored paper and ink!

Re direct mail. Marketing research shows that you have to send direct mail to the same household 3-5 before the person would even really read it. Then another 2x AND the flyer would need to be for a service they actually need at the time they receive it before they would actually remember seeing your flyer and make the effort to call you. You would have to send to at least 5000 households between 5-7 times. THAT IS ALOT OF $$$ OUT OF POCKET UPFRON.My point is, direct mail is pretty much a waste of time unless you have the money to really dig in

SWOhioTaxPro in Dayton, Ohio

59 months ago

Chris Tax in Los Angeles, California said: I understand your point

Chris

This is a referral business, you are right there. BUT instead of low balling your fees the first year and trying to raise them subsequently (you wont keep clients that way) why not offer an incentive for bringing a friend or telling people. That works much better. Keep rates where they need to be and then offer them something to tell a friend.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.