Becoming a Tax Preparer.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (23)

Rachel Riggs in Acworth, Georgia

79 months ago

I am a stay-at-home mom and I am considering taking the tax preparation course through one of the Colleges around my area. I guess I am wanting to know if this could possibly be a good job for me as a SAHM. I would just really like to hear from other people as far as their experience and any advice that you could give would be greatly appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

Charles Davidson in Redding, California

79 months ago

Hi Rachel -

I personally think that working as a tax preparer is a great job for someone who wants to stay at home. You really have the ability to set your own schedule and work when and where you want to work.

I would caution you to think through a couple of things first.

1.) You will need to meet clients and interview them. There's no way around this until you build your clientele and can have them mail you their information. So, plan your schedule so that you can book these appointments. You will also need a place to meet clients. But that doesn't mean you need to have a home office. You can meet them at their home, their office, a local coffee shop, a restaurant, anywhere that is comfortable and provides at least a little bit of privacy. I have written quite a lot already on this forum about how to solve some of the problems with working from a home office.

2.) You'll have to meet clients at a time that's convenient for them. The idea of working from an office and staying home with the kids is very appealing, but you must be able to leave to interview clients or pick up and delivery paperwork. As much as your clients might enjoy your children, bringing them with you may not project a professional image. The good news is that your clients might enjoy meeting at the times you are available. For example, if your husband is home at night, can he watch the kids when you go out to meet clients? I am assuming small children, of course, but this might not be a problem if your children are older (like teenagers). Your clients may like it that you offer evening and weekend appointments and you can sell that as a marketing advantage.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Charles Davidson in Redding, California

79 months ago

3.) There are a number of schools and colleges that offer great training is tax law both in person and online. Check them out. Being in California where we have state regulation for tax preparers, I recommend a program that teaches to California standards. The curriculum is well-defined and will give you the best possible foundation. H&R Block's basic course - taught in most states - offers a California-based curriculum as does my own online tax school. However, this is not a requirement. Make sure your check out the school and are comfortable with the instructor and the course materials.

I am glad you are pursuing a good basic education. Too many tax preparers just hang out a shingle and try to learn it all as they go along. Unfortunately many make mistakes and give the industry a bad name sometimes. Get a good, strong education and continue to expand your knowledge each year. I recommend 20 - 30 hours of education each year on new and in-depth topics.

Those are just some quick ideas for you. I'm writing a short book on the ins and outs of a career in tax preparation. I'd be happy to forward it to you when I am done. Send me an email and let me know where to send it.

Good luck to you,

Charles Davidson
Accelerated Education Systems

[Contact information has been removed by a forum moderator]

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jamesd in Boston, Massachusetts

68 months ago

I am taking an online course to become a tax preparer the college is based out of florida do I still quaify to do taxes in mass

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

may03 in Bronx, New York

65 months ago

I taxes for family and friends every year through Turbo Tax. This year everyone is telling me to start a Tax Preparer home business. Althogh I do very well with the software I would like to take a course. So I call H&R block for the course and they tell me I can only take the course for my personal use or to work for them. I think I have to sign some kind of written agreement for this.
I just don't know where to take a course to become a legit Tax Preparer. And I want to know if I could sill use TurboTax once I start prepareing taxes for pay.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (35) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Professional Tax Preparer in Tampa, Florida

65 months ago

H&R Block will not let you take their course unless you want to work for them. There are other options out there. Check out theincometaxschool.com. If you are going to start a business doing this, it is crucial that you get a better understanding of taxation first.

No you cannot use TurboTax because it does not allow you to sign as paid preparer. Check out taxact.com and look for the preparer's version, it's pretty cheap. Also look at drakesoftware.com. It's a little more expensive, but much better software. Also, you should get a PTIN from the IRS so you don't have to give out your SSN and you will need to apply for an EFIN if you want to e-file.

To all of you aspiring tax preparers, please remember that it is illegal to prepare tax returns for pay without signing the return as paid preparer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No Reply - Report abuse

TLCW in Louisville, Kentucky

62 months ago

TAX PREPARERS.......TAX BOOTH SPACE IS AVAILABLE IN LOUISVILLE KENTUCKY

If you are in the Louisville Kentucky area (40215) and want a public space to prepare taxes for walk in clients as well as your own client base, then I have the perfect space availiable for you to conduct your business. Rent a booth space for only 125.00 per week. I only have room for two more tax preparers. inquiries please email wireless.tlc1@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Trish in South Orange, New Jersey

55 months ago

With H&R Block the agreement you sign informs you that if you are applying for and hired with a competing firm while taking the H&R Block courses, you will be removed from the course with no expectation of receiving a refund. Their are individuals who actual work for the company who take the courses at the same time as other new students and their jobs consist of performing taxes so doing taxes the way you do it currently is ok but you can't credit or blame them until you've completed the course. They teach you so much information that you'll be able to utilize at the end and no sooner.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Chris Tax in Los Angeles, California

55 months ago

trish

The non competing clause to take the class covered 1 year. That is my memory. Sorry if I sound upset. I had no job offer and they make you sign this. I was not working for anyone. SORRY BUT GIVE ME A BREAK.

chris

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

taxservices in Mobile, Alabama

54 months ago

TLCW in Louisville, Kentucky said: TAX PREPARERS.......TAX BOOTH SPACE IS AVAILABLE IN LOUISVILLE KENTUCKY

If you are in the Louisville Kentucky area (40215) and want a public space to prepare taxes for walk in clients as well as your own client base, then I have the perfect space availiable for you to conduct your business. Rent a booth space for only 125.00 per week. I only have room for two more tax preparers. inquiries please email wireless.tlc1@gmail.com

I am about to buy Petz/Crosslink's MSO. It is $2500 for 10 offices. I only have one office though. I'm trying to sub the other offices out so if you want to save some money on software, let me know. myeztaxrefunds@gmail.com
They use Republic Bank and SBB&T. I can do all the setup and even get your EFIN for you if you want. Perfect for people just starting out. Training sessions start in October. Support offered throughout tax season.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

sharkey1 in Long Beach, California

52 months ago

I'd like to set up office space in California for tax preparers to operate out of as well. how are ou set up? do you rent a space and then cover it by asking the preparers to pay you a monthly rental fee? Also, what kind of business license did you apply for to do this? I'm not interested in starting a tax preparation service, just renting the space for others to run their independent businesses out of the space.

TLCW in Louisville, Kentucky said: TAX PREPARERS.......TAX BOOTH SPACE IS AVAILABLE IN LOUISVILLE KENTUCKY

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chris in Grass Valley, California

51 months ago

You would become a landlord. I am not an attorney. It is my understanding it would be the Tax preparer responsibility to get a city license, register with CTEC, etc

You job would be to collect the rent and security deposit. They other concern is that some kind situation occurs with liability such as one of the Tax Preparers clients client slips and is injured. In my opinion you need to carry some liability insurance.

My input,

Chris

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tax Preparer in Jonesboro, Georgia

50 months ago

We are currently looking for Tax Preparer who are interested in branching out to start their own Tax Prep Service.

We will provide you with the software and bank products needed to operate your business.(at no cost to you)

If interested in please feel free to contact me at

taxprep@gmx.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

James in Tampa, Florida

40 months ago

"I only have room for two MORE tax preparers". Seriously!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kareem in Houston, Texas

40 months ago

I am currently using Tax Biz Now and they have a great program going with the Income Tax School. I am not sure if you have to use their software or not, but the Income Tax School was great for me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Advance Tax in Atlanta, Georgia

39 months ago

Advance Tax Pro is a cutting edge tax software with industry leading features. Whether you operate a large organization with multiple locations or a highly driven single-office company, Advance Tax Pro offers a full set of desktop and online solutions to meet your needs.

We also provide software to those businesses who have mulitple ERO working under their EFIN.

For more info on the multiple preparer option and our other product email me at info@advancetaxpro.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jamie sue in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

36 months ago

I live in Oklahoma and i work as a sitter 5 days a week 12 hours a day. I am self-employeed and in dire need for the rules and deductions I can take while doing this job..I have no ideal if I need to save receipts for gas..food...car repairs...I always thought u was allowed only a certain amount. Anyhow...I need help or a site that can help me get organized..Also I would like to take a online tax account course so I can do my own taxs and know all the ins and outs for all the new deductions available...ANYONE have any help or ideals...Thank u

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Debbie in Bellingham, Washington

35 months ago

Where do you take the tax preparer test? Do schools offer it? Or do you have to go to a government office?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Mr Jones in Bronx, New York

35 months ago

jamie sue in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: I live in Oklahoma and i work as a sitter 5 days a week 12 hours a day. I am self-employeed and in dire need for the rules and deductions I can take while doing this job..I have no ideal if I need to save receipts for gas..food...car repairs...I always thought u was allowed only a certain amount. Anyhow...I need help or a site that can help me get organized..Also I would like to take a online tax account course so I can do my own taxs and know all the ins and outs for all the new deductions available...ANYONE have any help or ideals...Thank u

Yes save all receipts just in case the IRS audits you...you will need proof of purchase. In addition anything you spent pertaining to your business is a writeoff...If you drove your car to transport the kids you will need to know mileage...gas spent...if you provided snacks...if you use your cable a portion can be written off if you use it for the children...your electricity as well...arts and crafts etc and the list goes on...Make sure you keep a recipt book of payments...create invoices so you can track your payments and money recieved. Good Luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Robert1965 in Escondido, California

3 months ago

Charles Davidson in Redding, California said: Hi Rachel -

I personally think that working as a tax preparer is a great job for someone who wants to stay at home. You really have the ability to set your own schedule and work when and where you want to work.

I would caution you to think through a couple of things first.

1.) You will need to meet clients and interview them. There's no way around this until you build your clientele and can have them mail you their information. So, plan your schedule so that you can book these appointments. You will also need a place to meet clients. But that doesn't mean you need to have a home office. You can meet them at their home, their office, a local coffee shop, a restaurant, anywhere that is comfortable and provides at least a little bit of privacy. I have written quite a lot already on this forum about how to solve some of the problems with working from a home office.

2.) You'll have to meet clients at a time that's convenient for them. The idea of working from an office and staying home with the kids is very appealing, but you must be able to leave to interview clients or pick up and delivery paperwork. As much as your clients might enjoy your children , bringing them with you may not project a professional image. The good news is that your clients might enjoy meeting at the times you are available. For example, if your husband is home at night, can he watch the kids when you go out to meet clients? I am assuming small children, of course, but this might not be a problem if your children are older (like teenagers). Your clients may like it that you offer evening and weekend appointments and you can sell that as a marketing advantage.

If I already have my CTEC cert. How do I put it do use? What program would I use to start my own practice? I've called other tax offices and they want to hire you at minimum wage? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Robert1965 in Escondido, California

3 months ago

If I already have my CTEC cert. How do I put it do use? What program would I use to start my own practice? I've called other tax offices and they want to hire you at minimum wage? Thanks

WoodinvilleTaxPro in Woodinville, Washington

3 months ago

Robert1965 in Escondido, California said: If I already have my CTEC cert. How do I put it do use? What program would I use to start my own practice? I've called other tax offices and they want to hire you at minimum wage? Thanks

Robert, I would check out www.mytaxprepoffice.com if you're thinking about starting out on your own. They seem to have really reasonable prices for people starting out. I can't vouch for them, I received an email and checked them out and it looks interesting, but the software isn't there yet. I signed up to be notified of when it will be.

GannonServiceBureauDOTcom in Memphis, Tennessee

2 months ago

FREE Tax Software & FREE Bank Products! www.GannonServiceBureau.com

At Gannon Service Bureau, we’re offering professional Tax Preparation Software and Bank Products ABSOLUTELY FREE!

Santa Barbara (SBTPG) Bank Products – FREE! Due to a special arrangement, we are able to offer free bank products from one of the biggest names in the industry – Santa Barbara Tax Products Group… absolutely free! Direct Deposit bank products are absolutely free to you and your clients. Prepaid Visa/Debit Card bank products are also absolutely free to you and your clients. That’s right, SBTPG will not deduct anything for Direct Deposits and Prepaid Visa Cards! Checks are just a low cost of $25, deducted directly from the taxpayer’s return.

State Bank Products – FREE! State Return bank products are also absolutely free when a Federal Return bank product is filed. Free Direct Deposits, Visa/Debit Cards, and even Checks!

Industry Leading Software – FREE! We can’t say the name of the software on this forum, but let’s just say it’s one of the biggest names in the industry... absolutely free!

Increase Your Own Prep Fee! – $$$ With our free bank products, your clients will save up to $60 per return when compared to your current software provider’s bank product fees, transmission fees, technology fees, and junk fees… this is money you can stick directly into your pocket by increasing your own prep fee $60, while keeping the overall cost to the client the same. How much are you and your clients currently paying for bank products, transmission fees, tech fees, service bureau fees, and other junk fees? Add it up. Wouldn’t you rather have more breathing room to increase your own prep fee?

Superior Training & Support. The important part – you can call us anytime during our extended business hours for help. Let Gannon be there for you when you need us this tax season, providing an unparalleled level of service and support!

Toll-free at 855-GANNON-1 or www.GannonServiceBureau.com

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.