DEPENDENT WITH ITIN NO.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

ED in Long Beach, California

67 months ago

Do someone know if a resident of Mexico can be claimed as DEPENDENT in someone's return filing with ITIN #

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

brent in Baumholder, Germany

64 months ago

yes of course. keep in mind that ITINs usually are a disquallifier for things like EIC if applicable to the situation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ed in San Francisco, California

55 months ago

ED in Long Beach, California said: Do someone know if a resident of Mexico can be claimed as DEPENDENT in someone's return filing with ITIN #

Yes, the person can be claimed as a "dependent", however, the person must also have an ITIN number or must apply for one at the same time as the return is prepared, and if the person is a minor, the tax payer can not receive the child tax credit as the minor must have lived with the tax payer at least more then 6 months.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marinda in Athens, Georgia

43 months ago

Hi I hope I'm not too late to ask a question regarding ITIN#'s? I just started doing taxes professionally this year, and so far I have had two customers needing ITIN#'s. This is something that for whatever reason as many times as I am reading the Instructions I don't seem to be grasping what the requirements are to apply for an ITIN. I know that the return would need to be mailed in along with the completed return. But what needs to go with it and format the documentation needs to be in is lost on me. Can someone please explain it to me in clearest way possible so that I can know? Particularly I had someone who needed an Itin for 2 children they wanted to claim.

Thank you soo much.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

The Bear in Phoenix, Arizona

43 months ago

Hi Marinda,
What you need to do is this:
1. Download the latest W-7 form from www.irs.gov
2. For each person that needs an ITIN# you will need 2 documents (exept if they have a passport, which is that case they only need the passport)
3. For adults you'll need the birth certificate, credencial de votar, matricula consular, licencia de Mexico (Mexico DL) whichever 2 documents they have.
4. For minors (14 or younger) you'll need the birth certificate and the cartilla nacional de vacunacion (shot records)
For minors (17 or younger) you'll need the birth certificate and the constancia de estudios (school letter) WARNING: never ask for a boleta de calificaciones (grade report card) make sure they understand this.
Have them bring all originals
You can go to www.estafeta.com (which is like the Mexican UPS and click on the oficinas tab. Ask them where the documents are going to be coming from and search for the nearest office. This will only take 2 days and they'll charge them like 30 bucks.
5. Make copies of all documents and give them back to the customer.
6. Have each and every one of the copies notarized.
7. Staple each application together in this order from top to bottom. W-7>Birth Certificate>Second document
8. Now staple all applications to the 1040 making sure the 1040 goes on top and send them to the ITIN unit

I hope this information helped you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

Marinda in Athens, Georgia

43 months ago

This helps very much. As far as needing the documents notarized, is it up to me to have it notarized absent of the client? Or does the client need to present to have notarized?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

The Bear in Phoenix, Arizona

43 months ago

I wouldn't focus on that, what I would focus on if you're not a public notary is that the notary will have to see the actual documents not just copies.
One of the parents of the child have to sign the form though and if they're in Mexico you'll have to send the W-7 forms to them to sign.
I've heard of people that will just have the customer sign the name of the parent on the W-7 but that is at your own risk and discretion.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jackso in Stone Mountain, Georgia

33 months ago

Marinda,
But the child must live in the US, right? I heard IRS is changing the system now. And asking customers to fill out a form 8332, I think it is, as to whether the child lives here. I am not sure. Can you tell me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

jackso in Stone Mountain, Georgia

33 months ago

Marinda,
But the child must live in the US, right? I heard IRS is changing the system now. And asking customers to fill out a form 8332, I think it is, as to whether the child lives here. I am not sure. Can you tell me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.