Getting Into Tax Preparation

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Colton Colcleasure in Stephenville, Texas

19 months ago

I have been looking into becoming a tax professional for a while now. Last week I applied and got approved to take a distance learning course to become a CTP (Chartered Tax Professional) through the local Ranger College here.

I'd like to know from someone who has been in the business and actually knows what they're talking about, rather than someone who has just researched on Google, is it necessary to spend almost $2,000 and up to eighteen months to learn the ins and outs of tax preparation? I want to learn as much as I can and hopefully run my own tax preparation business within a few years.

I know some places teach you how to use their software and conduct an interview with a client in a day or a week or so, but I want to learn it all. I want to know it all, not just how to ask questions and skim through a program. But, maybe it's really not necessary to know more than that? You tell me!

Here's a link to the info for the course I'm looking at.
www.gatlineducation.com/unbranded/chartered_tax_professional.html

And here's the outline to show you all the things that the course covers.
www.gatlineducation.com/unbranded/chartered_tax_professional_outln.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Colton Colcleasure in Stephenville, Texas

19 months ago

No input?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kay in Olympia, Washington

19 months ago

Colton Colcleasure in Stephenville, Texas said: No input?

I've been a preparer since 2001 and now I have my own franchise. Let me be the first to say that there is no way to "learn it all" before you get started preparing on your own. I've been preparing since 01 and I still learn new things all the time. If your serious about it, your best bet is to take the steps to start small and climb to the point of where you would like to be at in some years. As far as the course, it won't hurt to learn that way but keep in mind that there are other resourses that you can learn as you go instead of being in a course for 18 months.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kay in Olympia, Washington

19 months ago

Also, the IRS will require preparers to take the RTRP compentancy exam before they can prepare taxes. Is that class certified by the IRS to give the compentancy exam?

Also, it would be a great idea to get your PTIN before December 31, 2012. Starting on Jan 1, 2013, the IRS will not issue a PTIN number unless the applicant has passed the 120 question compentancy exam first. If you have any questions about the test or taxes in general feel free to ask.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Monique in Houston, Texas

13 months ago

Colton Colcleasure in Stephenville, Texas said: I have been looking into becoming a tax professional for a while now. Last week I applied and got approved to take a distance learning course to become a CTP (Chartered Tax Professional) through the local Ranger College here.

Congratulations in wanting to own your tax business. Let my company save you some money by joining our affiliate program as an independent contractor. We specialized in computerized state and federal preparation of individuals and businesses income tax returns for taxpayers living anywhere in the United States which is why your a good candidate for our program.

We extend to the independent contractor our 16 plus years experience, our dedicated support network of Preparers and EROs, and tools to include but not limited to software and bank products needed to operate your business.

Our company will work as an extension of your company offering you a professional discount on our services, arrange a percentage based commission or discuss any other options you may be more comfortable with making this offer an affordable opportunity for a contractor to enter the tax industry. After we assist you with the setup of your office, our team will help you with completion of your customer's tax file as well as with resolving tax questions which is a plus for someone looking to start their own tax business.

Thanks for your time and consideration and we look forward to hearing back from you. Please visit our website for more information about us.

LuskTaxService.com

For more information on becoming an independent contractor,

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

BPDoranCPA in Sugar Land, Texas

11 months ago

Colton,

I would actually recommend you try and get a job with a tax preparation company before you invest your time and energy into your own practice. Don't go with H&R Block, Jackson Hewitt, or any of those folks. Find a job with a local CPA who does everything and get experience now how to prepare a real return. Then setup you company with the Texas SOS, get you EFIN, apply for a PTIN, get your ERO and then decide on Software and where you want to setup.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

The Finance Writer in Georgetown, Texas

9 months ago

Colton,

I hope you have advanced substantially in your tax career planning over the past few months. My transition to the tax industry in Texas over a decade ago has certainly been rewarding.

I recommend gaining tax education by studying for the Enrolled Agent exam. A really good course is available at fastforwardacademy.com/enrolled-agent-exam-prep.htm. Becoming an Enrolled Agent provides the skills and credentials to work for a local CPA or EA with a tax operation. That experience is crucial if you want your own tax business in the next few years.

The post by BPDoranCPA is correct, the national tax stores are only part-time seasonal sidelines... they are not avenues for a true tax career.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.