Legal Liability

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 82)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Mike in Turner, Maine

82 months ago

I just started preparing taxes after taking several courses. can I be sued by a client for wrong information/return on a tax return if I honestly thought the information was right?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (71) / No (17) Reply - Report abuse

priscilla udave in fontana, California

69 months ago

i purchased a errors and emisions insurance policy for 10,000 of coverage for around $250 through a company called target insurance services, they are broker/agent and the insurance company is hartford. they specialize in insuring tax professionals. i think this is very important to have. also you should have your customers sign a tax disclosure and privacy letter so that way they are aware what you are responsible for. (usually interest and penalties only and a free amended return) thats what i promise to my clients

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

priscilla udave in fontana, California

69 months ago

Mike in Turner, Maine said: I just started preparing taxes after taking several courses. can I be sued by a client for wrong information/return on a tax return if I honestly thought the information was right?

i purchased a errors and emisions insurance policy for 10,000 of coverage for around $250 through a company called target insurance services, they are broker/agent and the insurance company is hartford. they specialize in insuring tax professionals. i think this is very important to have. also you should have your customers sign a tax disclosure and privacy letter so that way they are aware what you are responsible for. (usually interest and penalties only and a free amended return) thats what i promise to my clients

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Maria in Los Angeles, California

69 months ago

Hi Priscilla,

I just recently took a qualifying education course and became a CRTP, will be starting in 2009 with my own (very) small business preparing taxes. Thanks for the info on the insurance - I will definately look into it as well.

I wanted to see if maybe you would send me a copy of that "tax disclosure and privacy letter" you use. Planning on having some kind of document like that for my clients to sign and wanted to get an idea for a basis to start with.

Thanks again!

Maria
maria at reyestaxes.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer Gastelum in San Diego, California

69 months ago

Good Morning,

Could any small business/private preparers send me a copy of their tax disclosure/privacy letter? Like Maria, I am also stating up trying to focus on only individual preparation. I can be reached at jenngastelum@gmail.com.

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

The Tax Guy in Chula Vista, California

68 months ago

I am more than happy to assist any small preparers with getting their business set up and networking together. Fell free to email me at taxrelief@easytaxinfo.com.

John

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Melfrank in Ballwin, Missouri

68 months ago

Could any small business/private preparers send me a copy of their tax disclosure/privacy letter? Like Maria and Jennifer, I am also trying to focus on only individual preparation. I can be reached at mfrankenberger@gmail.com.

Thanks!

Rihan in Columbus, Ohio

68 months ago

I just started doing taxes this year and would like to protect myself too. If anyone could share and send me the disclosure/privacy letter, I would really appreciate. I can be contacted at oceanaccounting@gmail.com.

Thanks
Rihan

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ronald Gustaron in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

68 months ago

I'm employed by a retail tax preparation provider. Problem is i'm situated in a low-income zone and clients are falsely claiming dependents to qualify for EIC. To my knowledge, their dependent claims is their business and I am only inputting data; how else can I verify if the child is truly his or hers to claim? A lot of them are getting rejected by the IRS (SSN already claimed). Will I be liable for this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Nikki in Santa Barbara, California

67 months ago

Hello Colleagues, I was just reading on the White House portal, on the TAXES section.President Obama plans to simplify Income Tax return, so that millions of middle class individuals can prepare their own taxes in less than five minutes without an accontant. I am not an accountant but I rely 100% on below middle and middle class clients. What Do you think? Are we all losing our jobs as Tax Preparers?

Ronald I get that a lot in this area. It is the client who has to worry about how to respond to the IRS, Good luck!

Taxes in Brem WA in Bremerton, Washington

66 months ago

Ronald,
The IRS has a due diligence requirement for EIC, you have to prove you showed due diligence when determining EIC for a client. You have to ask questions and I would note each question in your client notes showing what you asked and what their response was. The IRS website The IRS can actually conduct due diligence audits on tax preparers and tax prep firms. I have put a link here to the requirements.

www.irs.gov/individuals/article/0,,id=150531,00.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kati in Kansas City, Missouri

62 months ago

Lawrence Hill Group in Irving, Texas said: What software did you use this past tax season?

I use TaxAct is is cheaper for the small tax business. I've used if for 6 years now. Good luck

Kbrown

57 months ago

When I had my taxes done a couple of years ago, I recieved a letter saying we were overpaid. Went to the tax preparers and showed them the letter in Nov 2008. They said that it will just come out of our federal refund. Okay, here comes Feb 2009. We are still getting letters saying that we still owe money. Went back to the preparers and they said that the department that has the money has not caught up with the other department yet. So finally after getting certified letters for the next couple of months, we called the IRS, they stated that the letter says we have to give them permission to take our refund. So they did not take it, and they said that we can wait till tax time and they will take the money. Okay, so here comes thanksgiving and we get a letter saying we have to pay this money in 60 days or they are going to garnish our checks and put a lean on our house. They did tell my husband we can get an extention for 120days but he was transferred and they told him no he can't. So we have this money to pay and the money we had saved for christmas is gone because we have to pay the IRS. Tried the tax advocate people and they wanted to charge us $100.00 to make a payment arrangement and it was not even extended. It get my taxes back by Feb 5th, but the IRS wants their money by Jan 11th.. Is there something that can be done?
We have 6 kids with a limited income of 40,000 a year and my husband is disabled. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Los Angeles, California

57 months ago

Hello,
I had my 2008 California Income Tax form done by a long-time friend and tax preparer. He is a CPA. This year, we owed taxes to the state of California again (as in the past few years) and he asked if we just wanted to pay it directly from our bank account like usual (he has it on hand for IRS refunds and payments) but he neglected/forgot to include it for payment. What should have been a 370 dollar payment has almost turned into a 1200 dollar bill (with charges and interest.

My wife and I received an order from our employer to have our taxes garnished from our paycheck. Our letters from our employer included the Franchise Tax Board order to our employer (we work for the same company), but TO A DIFFERENT ADDRESS on both my wife's and my letter! In other words, the Franchise Tax Board sent a request for payment to a different address trying to collect their taxes; in short, my wife and I NEVER realized that a) our tax preparer forgot/neglected to write the correct bank information, and that b) the state hadn't been paid,thus making us delinquent in taxes and c)the State of California was looking for their money. We simply didn't/couldn't know, because we were under the impression that it had been paid by our CPA/Tax preparer as it always has; we never received anything from the state because it was sent to the wrong address (many people with my name in this state, apparently.)

The first we heard of it, again, was when we received the garnished wages letter.

My question is: is my tax preparer responsible for any charges, penalties, and/or interest?

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Charles Davidson in Redding, California

57 months ago

Steve -

Unfortunately, no. The tax return in yours and you signed it at the bottom of the 2nd page. When you signed the tax return you took full responsibility for all of the information that is contained on the form. There is no law that holds a paid preparer responsible in any way for mistakes that appear on your tax return. If the tax preparer had committed fraud, perhaps listing his bank account instead of your, for example, then you might had grounds for a claim against him but as it stands, it's your responsibility. You might check with the guy and see if he had errors and omissions insurance, against which you might be able to file a claim. Otherwise, you may be out of luck. Sorry for the problems you're having.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Pat in Tulsa, Oklahoma

57 months ago

My question would be how does a $300 tax bill turn into $1,200 in a year? Couldn't be interest, so are the penalties that high in California?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Professional Tax Preparer in Tampa, Florida

57 months ago

Most reputable tax preparers will pay at least some of the penalties/interest if they are caused by a mistake they made. I know I always tell my clients I will do this but luckily I have not had to. Even if they have no E&O insurance you might be able to get them to pay. If they don't, use someone else next year who does.

However, before you point the finger at the preparer, be absolutely sure this was really caused by their error and not by you or the state. I have seen too many cases where clients blame their preparers for things they had no control over. Sorry to hear about your situation.

Steve in Los Angeles, California

57 months ago

Thanks to all for the replies....got it straightened out. Spoke to my tax preparer, who showed me the forms that were used. My bank account info was there. The state of California neglected to collect/withdraw the payment. When they realized their mistake, the Tax Board sent a bill TO THE WRONG ADDRESS. When they didn't find us there, they found us via our jobs; it is only one account (a little over 600 dollars; 372 originally, plus interest, and collection fees) but they sent an order to collect from both of us, and this apparently is state policy for people who file jointly, meaning we would have to request one of the payments back from them if we ever figured out we were overcharged...clever racket.
According to 2 employees at the Franchise Tax Board, it is the state's position to never admit fault; in fact, the state does not recognize an argument or grievance if you haven't paid yet...meaning, you have to pay first, then request or file to have a portion of it returned.
One of the employees was extremely helpful. He tried to figure out why our address had been changed by someone mid-year, resulting in the state sending out a notice to the wrong address. He could not figure out why. He also could not figure out why the money hadn't been taken from our account in the first place. He basically sided with us, made a notation on our record, and suggested we write to Sacramento to try to get our collection fees returned.

Again, thanks for your replies!

Chris Tax in Los Angeles, California

57 months ago

Steve in Los Angeles, California said: Thanks to all for the replies....got it straightened out. Spoke to my tax preparer, who showed me the forms that were used. My bank account info was there. The state of California neglected to collect/withdraw the payment. When they realized their mistake, the Tax Board sent a bill TO THE WRONG ADDRESS. When they didn't find us there, they found us via our jobs; it is only one account (a little over 600 dollars; 372 originally, plus interest, and collection fees) but they sent an order to collect from both of us, and this apparently is state policy for people who file jointly, meaning we would have to request one of the payments back from them if we ever figured out we were overcharged...clever racket.
According to 2 employees at the Franchise Tax Board, it is the state's position to never admit fault; in fact, the state does not recognize an argument or grievance if you haven't paid yet...meaning, you have to pay first, then request or file to have a portion of it returned.
One of the employees was extremely helpful. He tried to figure out why our address had been changed by someone mid-year, resulting in the state sending out a notice to the wrong address. He could not figure out why. He also could not figure out why the money hadn't been taken from our account in the first place. He basically sided with us, made a notation on our record, and suggested we write to Sacramento to try to get our collection fees returned.

Again, thanks for your replies!

You are not liable for clients false statement i am extremely careful with EIC. I told one client to find someone else. The state of calif franchise tax board is extremely difficult to deal with

Chris

Chris Detzer in Oakland, California

57 months ago

Hello,

I'm yet another preparer who is starting his own practice. I need tax preparer disclosure form which I can send to my clients who are following me from my prior firm so they will release the files to me. Can anyone please send a form that I can use to forward to clients? Thank you. chrisdetzertax@gmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Teany in Lakewood, California

57 months ago

Hello,
I have started my own tax preparation service myself. If someone can email me a disclosure/ privacy form. Please and Thank you!... send to teany@saferoadinsurance.com

tanglewood in Cambridge, Massachusetts

56 months ago

I have been doing taxes for 6 years for friends and family only I have the same 15 people i have been doing paper returns and sending them in I would like a disclosure letter also and I would like to know if there is anyone I can contact to get started with a small business and do the taxes on a computer software program and get insurance is there some place I can go to or email to get started on this thanks

rjohn in Cedar Hill, Texas

56 months ago

I'm starting my home tax preparation business. I have basic start-up questions..need software, etc. Can anyone help? Need to speek with someone ASAP

CoachB79 in Vancouver, Washington

56 months ago

I am in the same boat as many of the people on this board. I have just started my own tax prep business and I am looking fro any and all advice.

If someone can send me their disclosure/privacy form I would be greatly appreciative.

-Coach
EagleEyeTaxes@gmail.com

jeannie in Cincinnati, Ohio

56 months ago

Rihan in Columbus, Ohio said: I just started doing taxes this year and would like to protect myself too. If anyone could share and send me the disclosure/privacy letter, I would really appreciate. I can be contacted at oceanaccounting@gmail.com.

Thanks
Rihan

Me too Me too. Please
I'm working this winter to begin the next tax season. I just couldn't get it rolling for this season. I usually just "help out a few people" but decided to go for it.
I've done taxes for a few years and feel like some of the big guys that I've worked for overcharge. I really want to help low income people like myself get the best return possible.

If anyone has anything that they think will help me as I prepare to do this I would be grateful. I have learned so much by just going through the forums here.

Please feel free to email me anything you think will help me like disclosure forms etc. I've made some of my own but would like to make sure I covered all bases.

Thanks for reading.
ojvalandingham@gmail.com

tfrench810 in Treynor, Iowa

56 months ago

Kati in Kansas City, Missouri said: I use TaxAct is is cheaper for the small tax business. I've used if for 6 years now. Good luck

I am looking into starting a small business doing taxes in IA....I have read about the privacy policy and tax disclosure signature papers....anything else anyone could give me heads up on? A good Online Tax Software?

rjohn in Cedar Hill, Texas

56 months ago

taxonline is very good. Free if you choose recommended sites by the irs.

BETTY in El Paso, Texas

55 months ago

CHARGED WITH DOMESTIC VIOLENCE, CAN I STILL CONTINUE PREPARING RETUENS AS A BUSINESS. SOME OF MY CLIENTS HAVE QUESTIONED ME ABOUT IT

The Tax Guy in San Diego, California

55 months ago

I don't recall El Paso being that small of a town that everyone would know your business.

Since you've only been charged and our Constitution prohibits the presumption of guilt without due process I can't see hwy that would affect your business.

Is this something that you are required to disclose?

tanglewood in Boston, Massachusetts

55 months ago

If i declare bankroptcy cN I STILL PREPARE TAX RETURNS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

55 months ago

Yes,

The bond is only a guarantee that you will complete the tax returns in a proper manner and should have no reflection on your personal financial issues.

KT&BS in Tyler, Texas

55 months ago

I have worked as a tax preparer for another company for the last 7 yrs, and have decided to break away and do my own thing. I've registered with the IRS, decided on software, purchased start-up equipment and supplies, applied to e-file with the IRS... I need to know if I am required to have a certain license and be bonded in order to operate as a sole-proprietor in the state of Texas? I haven't registered my DBA with my county clerk's office, but plan to in the near future. Anything else required of me or that I need to know?

Lene in Chicago, Illinois

54 months ago

My tax preparer signed my name without me even seeing what she had done. Now i owe. Am I still responsible for paying even though she fraudently signed my name?

54 months ago

Lene in Chicago, Illinois said: My tax preparer signed my name without me even seeing what she had done. Now i owe. Am I still responsible for paying even though she fraudently signed my name?

I never sign a client's tax return on their behalf and always make it a point to call or email them regarding a refund or tax liability.

Did did not mention whether this was a paper (via mail) or electronically filed return.

Lene in Chicago, Illinois

54 months ago

Thanks. It was paper she mailed it off before i even reviewed it. Is there anyway I can fight this. Am I responsible even though Its not my signature?

pudave

54 months ago

Hello, if you disagree with owing you can ask for a copy of your tax return and then see another tax preparer and have them review the tax return and see why you owe, then if possible they can amend your tax return if the original tax preparer missed deductions or credits that you may qualify for. also how do you know she/he signed your tax return? did you sign a efile authorization form? need more info please thank you.

pudave

54 months ago

Lene in Chicago, Illinois said: Thanks. It was paper she mailed it off before i even reviewed it. Is there anyway I can fight this. Am I responsible even though Its not my signature?

ok if it was paper and they signed that is absolutely not acceptable! now if there is a balance due on teh tax return... and there are deductions/credits missed then all you need to do is have a ethical tax preparer amend it. however if the tax return is correct and there are no missed deductions/credits, you will still be liabile to pay the balance due to the IRS. then the only issue left is to report the tax preparer to IRS so that way they are fined for signing your tax return. hope this helps

The Tax Guy

54 months ago

Well if you genuinely owe the money then you are liable. The last time I checked, no one can legally sign your name (even a spouse) without your signed authorization for them to do so on your behalf. Your preparer committed forgery unless that signed authorization exists feel free to email me at easytaxinfo@gmail.com. I would be more than happy to examine your situation for no charge
Your tax preparer should be held liable for forging your signature on a federal tax return. The last time I checked, someone can only sign your name with your signed authorization for them to execute documents on your behalf.

awest in Los Angeles, California

54 months ago

I just found that my accountant has been depreciating a residential property as commercial property. It should be done at a 27.5 year rate, and he has been using a 30.5 year rate. The difference amounts to about $1800 a year--for twenty years. In the early years I was in a high tax bracket but not now. This error has cost me thousands of dollars. What is his liability?

chris tax in Norco, California

54 months ago

Hi
Typically liability is for penalty and interest on mistakes. He can amend for 2 yrs. That is what my guarantee statement says. Turbo Tax and Block has same guarantee. My guess is statues of limitation are here. You might want to contact an attorney

Chris

chris tax in Los Angeles, California

53 months ago

Anyone find an answer on tax liability? I thought about it. if a mechanic makes a mistake on your car 10 years ago I doubt u can now sue him. In my opinion, prepare is responsible to amend 2 years of tax returns and is only responsible for initial fees and interest. even this did not occur here. he can only make returns correct within the limits of IRS He cannot force the IRS to accept 10 year old amended return.

If I was in your shoes I would be mad too.

Just curious,

chris

awest in Torrance, California

53 months ago

The error got worse as I looked into it. He had used 31.5 years not 30.5. I found that last year he showed that two properties were shown as changed to declining balance instead on straight line. A few years ago for one year he shifted to a forty year rate and took less depreciation, then shifted back. In another year he took $8,000 in depreciation but added $16,000 to the total depreciation carried forward. I lost close to $40,000 in depreciation due to his poor work. Part of this was when I was working and paid taxes in high brackets. Now retired, I am in much lower brackets. Recovery? I am going to make an appointment with him and request that he go back through twenty years of records and show me the exact depreciation for each year. I don't know how this will resolve, but I will post the result.

awest in Torrance, California

53 months ago

Thank you for the data of what happens when I sell.

All the properties are residential and placed in service after 1998. I don't plan to ever sell them even though residential renting basically changed when the government started practically giving houses away. Anyone who could pay rent could buy a house.

The accountant admits that he made a mistake. We are talking about damages.

Susan in Dayton, Ohio

50 months ago

Maria in Los Angeles, California said: Hi Priscilla,

I just recently took a qualifying education course and became a CRTP, will be starting in 2009 with my own (very) small business preparing taxes. Thanks for the info on the insurance - I will definately look into it as well.

I wanted to see if maybe you would send me a copy of that "tax disclosure and privacy letter" you use. Planning on having some kind of document like that for my clients to sign and wanted to get an idea for a basis to start with.

Thanks again!

Maria
maria at reyestaxes.com

Hi, Maria. How did it go your first year? I am starting up next year. Would you send me a copy of the disclosure and privacy letter you received from this forum? Thank you.

Chris Tax in Los Angeles, California

50 months ago

Hi Maria:

I am am here to help. Do you have experience in taxes? Are the classes CTEC classes. I have copies of disclosures etc.

I live in Ventura

Chris

powerless in New York, New York

47 months ago

I need help. My tax preparer committed fraud against the IRS on my 2008 tax return. He filed for a New Homeowner Credit in my name (without my knowledge and which I wasn't eligible for) and diverted the funds to his bank account by direct deposit. I only found out about this in 2009 when my taz return was held up. I finally found out my account was in collections with the IRS as they had reversed the credit realizing I was not eligible. Apparently they had been sending "me" letters but the tax guy had also changed my address to his PO box and had hidden this info. The criminal investigators for the IRS are working on a case against him, and have evidence that he has done this to several other people as well.... but it does not resolve the fact that I am STILL in collections with the billing side of the IRS. I have been trying to work with them for months and all they do is give a reprieve of another 30 days before they garnish wages and tell me I can make a payment plan. Do I need to get a lawyer? Do I sue the tax preparer? Do I use the lawyer to work with the IRS? I am at a loss. Has anyone else experienced this???? Please help!

John G. in San Diego, California

47 months ago

Dear Powerless:

You really aren't powerless you know. The only problem with the IRS is that they think they know everything and it can take the common man to prove them wrong.

I would recommned that you immediately speak with an attorney familiar with tax matters or an Enrolled Agent (usually in the Yellow Pages). Either of these parties should give you at least 1/2 hour of their time free of charge or they are not worth hiring. The Enrolled Agent may be a better bet since that persona has to jump through differnet hoops and sit for an extremely hard exam to earn that title.

You should also have filed a police report by now. That is one of the things that someone not on your side may want to see as documentation of the fraud. Documentation is everything.

Good Luck

Chuck McCabe in Richmond, Virginia

47 months ago

Powerless - I would be reluctant to incur legal expense. Often the only one who profits is the lawyer. An EA or veteran tax preparer who is experienced in dealing with such IRS issues would be a better choice in my opinion. Have you talked to the offiec of the IRS Taxpayer Advocate? If not, you should do so. You may be able to get the penalties waived, but not the tax that would have been owed if your return had been prepared correctly; that is your responsibility. Why is a payment plan not a desirable option for you?

Ana in Kailua, Hawaii

47 months ago

Mike in Turner, Maine said: I just started preparing taxes after taking several courses. can I be sued by a client for wrong information/return on a tax return if I honestly thought the information was right?

Why not ask a CPA? I think they usually sign a liability waiver, and you
can probably get one from the internet or from a CPA office/ friend.

Chuck McCabe in Richmond, Virginia

47 months ago

Not all CPAs are qualified as tax professionals. Tax is law, not accounting and they rarely teach in-depth courses in individual tax preparation in accounting school; nor does the CPA exam test for such knowledge. An EA would be a better choice in my opinion unless the CPA is educated and experienced in individual tax preparation.

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.