Tax preparation software and bank products

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (51 to 100 of 671)
Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

MSBREN478 in Macon, Georgia

65 months ago

Bob Johnson in Joppa, Illinois said: If you’re just starting out TaxVision has a package for you. For $175 you get federal 1040, One State and Bank Enrollment. The TaxVision Starter Package does have a $4.00 federal and $2.00 State transmission fee, however once your volume increases you can upgrade your package to our 1040 standard with unlimited Free E-filing to reduce your cost.

Visit our web site @ www.ntslink.com to request a FREE Evaluation software and sign-up for our FREE TaxVision University Webinar.

If I have an EFIN# do I have to still pay your e-file fees?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

MSBREN478 in Macon, Georgia

65 months ago

If I have EFIN#, do I still pay your e-file fees?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Enrolled in Gainesville, Georgia

64 months ago

Is this supposed to be a place for commercials?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Authorized in Hammond, Louisiana

64 months ago

ACJ in atlanta, Georgia said: I have purchased a software that unfortunately I can not use, due to no banks approving me. I have been told my 5 banks I have no history on my efin. I obtained my efin Summer 08. How do I collect my fees, if I can not get approved by a bank. Not sure if clients are willing to pay upfront.......Any suggestions.

Can anyone answer this...what if you do purchase the software,and can't even get a chance to offer RT's...what out there can you do...as we all know, the time is ticking and the clock is about to start...if there are any experienced ERO's that would be willing to assist new people and take them under their wing just as a help...put it out here...in the form of an email....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mr. D in San Antonio, Texas

64 months ago

As I understood from last tax season, the EROs who were not accepted into the programs were usually denied because they had never been in the fast refund business before and had sent the applicatons in late. I had the same situation but was accepted as the result of the service bureau making some calls and helping me get setup. The other thing that may happen is that you will be limited to the 2 week checks for the first year. Until you have some experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Georgia EA in Gainesville, Georgia

64 months ago

There are some folks that may be able to help you without having to file through other EROs. Please feel free to contact me at kwm8340@yahoo.com. I may be able to point you in the right direction.

Mr. D in San Antonio, Texas

64 months ago

Lawrence,

I used Republic Bank. The software I used was through a service bureau, but the software was Tax Wise. I got a really good price from the service bureau compared to the price for the same package directly from the company

Mr. D

jonesaccounting01@yahoo.com in Orlando, Florida

63 months ago

Mr. D in San Antonio, Texas said: Lawrence,

I used Republic Bank. The software I used was through a service bureau, but the software was Tax Wise. I got a really good price from the service bureau compared to the price for the same package directly from the company

Mr. D

Can you forward your contact information for the service bureau you used to me? I would like to check out their prices also.

Professional Tax Preparer in Tampa, Florida

63 months ago

I use Drake software and offer RALs through Chase. I got approved right away even though I have not offered bank products before. I have had my EFIN for 4 years though.

jobala in Brooklyn, New York

63 months ago

April in Winston Salem, North Carolina said: I'm looking into opening a tax prep business with RAL options but my credit is not so great. Does anyone know if there is a bank that will deal with this type of situation?

If you dont have 700+ dont weste yr time withe republic (I lost application fee) and refund-advantage.com - try somthing else

KKCRAWFORD in West Palm Beach, Florida

62 months ago

IS THERE ANY BANK OUT THERE WHO WILL ACCEPT A NEW TAX PREPARER WITH NO SO GREAT CREDIT IF AND WHO.

Thornell Johnson in Fort Washington, Maryland

62 months ago

lavar jones in Jacksonville, Florida said: is there any way to get fees taken out without offerin g bank products

Taxwise has what's called Fee Collect.

New Preperer in Detroit, Michigan

62 months ago

I am starting new in tax preparing. After reading this, I know that I need a EFIN, tax software, and rapid pay for clients who need a quick refund. Any suggestions from people in the tax preparing business what is a good software company? best place to get good deals for starters pertaining to rapid pay? How about networking if you have more than one computer in the same office and one portable laptop?

Mike Sash in Pekin, Illinois

62 months ago

New Preparer in Detroit, visit www.ntslink.com Check out the 'Starter Package' under the 'products' link. It gives you everything you need for 1040, 1 state (all states also available), efiling and RAL signup. Our bank accepts new EFINs for RALs (Must hurry, deadline is Dec. 4). Only $275. Completely Network Compatable.

New Preparer in Detroit, Michigan

62 months ago

Mike sash said Check out the 'Starter Package' under the 'products' link. It gives you everything you need for 1040, 1 state (all states also available), efiling and RAL signup. Our bank accepts new EFINs for RALs (Must hurry, deadline is Dec. 4). Only $275. Completely Network Compatable.

Do I have to have my EFIN for this software you mentioned? because I don't have one yet

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

You can sign up for software but the bank approval will have to wait until you get your EFIN. (it's required on the ERO Bank Application).

adriana26 in paris, Texas

62 months ago

Try CLMRSYSTEMS.COM they can help you out this upcoming tax season. No EFIN required

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

62 months ago

Mike Sash in Pekin, Illinois said: New Preparer in Detroit, visit www.ntslink.com Check out the 'Starter Package' under the 'products' link. It gives you everything you need for 1040, 1 state (all states also available), efiling and RAL signup. Our bank accepts new EFINs for RALs (Must hurry, deadline is Dec. 4). Only $275. Completely Network Compatable.

One more thing I forgot to ask you. What is the cost to update the software the following year? Also, how do I get training on the new laws and how to use your software?

62 months ago

The cost to renew your program in the following years is the roughly the same as year one, unless you decide to upgrade your package. Training on the software is simple and free. Go to www.ntslink.com/taxvision_university.aspx and sign up for TaxVision University. You can take the class as many times as you want. It's every Wednesday at 2pm ct. Sign employees up as well so they receive free training.

62 months ago

Mike Sash in Pekin, Illinois said: The cost to renew your program in the following years is the roughly the same as year one, unless you decide to upgrade your package. Training on the software is simple and free. Go to www.ntslink.com/taxvision_university.aspx and sign up for TaxVision University. You can take the class as many times as you want. It's every Wednesday at 2pm ct. Sign employees up as well so they receive free training.

How about pay roll software and small usiness accounting? Does this software have any such things for someone who wants to do bookkeeping and payrolls for small businesses?

62 months ago

adriana26 in paris, Texas said: Try CLMRSYSTEMS.COM they can help you out this upcoming tax season. No EFIN required

This site you provided me with has nothing about pricing or share splitting.

juju in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

62 months ago

Try CLMRSYSTEMS.COM they can help you out this upcoming tax season. No EFIN required. Does any one know how it works with them . They have no pricing and it requires you to fill out a form to be "member" which ask for personal info. With out having any details about it and when you call it says no rep is available to leave a detailed mesg.

bjohnson in Pekin, Illinois

62 months ago

I would be cautious on NO EFIN required and leaving messages on answering machines. First of all it's required to have an EFIN to file with the IRS. If your not filing your customers returns who is and what are the bottom line fees your going to pay? I can tell your cost for a bank product just just tripled if your utilizing someone's EFIN and I can't say for certain, but it may be against IRS regulations and laws.

Belinda Hernandez in San Antonio, Texas

62 months ago

My provider is a Service Bureau. They have relationships with at least 5 different banks. They also have a really good price for software. $299 and includes states, bank products, training, etc. They will also help you get an EFIN. www.dlcfastax.com

juju in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

62 months ago

I know i"m running out of time.But I'm gonna push my luck. I don't have an EFIN # The application was a little intimidating it states if you get denied for any reason you can't re-apply for two years. So I'm a little hesitant. I have been doing taxes for 7 years and have instructed tax courses. But I have worked under someone else (franchise)I would like to start my own business. With little to no capital and no EFIN#. ????????? What can I do??? I have so many?? When you purchase software do you have to apply to the banks seperate?? or by buying the software it entitles you to use the bank products??

62 months ago

If you have no capital and no EFIN, I think you should keep working for someone else until you do have capital and an EFIN. When you buy software you have to apply to the bank separately, buying the software does not entitle you to offer bank products. You are better off having an EFIN and doing your own bank products than using service bureaus or going through some kind of shady company that offers the bank products on your behalf.

If you are looking for low cost professional software for individuals, look at TaxAct and ProSeries. They work well and have bank affiliations.

Why are you afraid of the EFIN application? If you are clean you will not get denied.

If you have no capital, how will you market yourself? How will you pay for E&O insurance? You will be more successful if you start off the right way from the beginning. Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

New Preparer in Lake Orion, Michigan

62 months ago

Professional Tax Preparer in Tampa, Florida said: If you have no capital and no EFIN, I think you should keep working for someone else until you do have capital and an EFIN. When you buy software you have to apply to the bank separately, buying the software does not entitle you to offer bank products. You are better off having an EFIN and doing your own bank products than using service bureaus or going through some kind of shady company that offers the bank products on your behalf.

If you are looking for low cost professional software for individuals, look at TaxAct and ProSeries. They work well and have bank affiliations.

Why are you afraid of the EFIN application? If you are clean you will not get denied.

If you have no capital, how will you market yourself? How will you pay for E&O insurance? You will be more successful if you start off the right way from the beginning. Good luck!

Thanks for your honest and professional advice. I think you are absolutely right about everything. I am jst a biginner in this and running too late this year to get established on my own as self-employed. That is why I have decided to wait till next year when I can start getting prepared earlier. If there is any more advice, and recommendations from you, please let me know because they could be valuable when I start doing taxes on my own. Again thanks a million.

62 months ago

I think you made the right choice. Some pointers:

1- Get your EFIN and PTIN as soon as you can
2- The software companies offer discounts if you pay for the software early, usually between April-May, so try to buy it then if you can, but test them out first with a demo
3- Try to make sure you're up to date on tax laws, there are low cost books and courses you can get out there
4- If someone ever comes to you with a tax return you cannot handle, do not be afraid to send them to someone more knowledgeable. Actually, I encourage you to find an Enrolled Agent or CPA in your area to work with. Let them know what you do, send them the difficult ones you cannot handle, and maybe they will even send you some of their easier ones
5- Consider taking the Enrolled Agent exam if you really like this field and plan to stay in it. The IRS is going to start regulating preparers anyway so everyone will have to take a test.
6- Get professional liability/E&O insurance. Landy Insurance is very cheap, Google them.

62 months ago

The Service Bureau owner that I use is an enrolled agent and was very helpful. He helped me with a low price on the software and I made small payments on it. He also helped me fill out the forms required for for the EFIN and helped guide me through the process. Training was also provided.

Abe in Detroit, Michigan

62 months ago

What is the name of that tax software company?

Abe in Detroit, Michigan

62 months ago

Belinda Hernandez in San Antonio, Texas said: The Service Bureau owner that I use is an enrolled agent and was very helpful. He helped me with a low price on the software and I made small payments on it. He also helped me fill out the forms required for for the EFIN and helped guide me through the process. Training was also provided.

What is the name of that tax software company?

62 months ago

The company that I purchased software from last year and again this year is DLC FASTAX.
www.dlcfastax.com

62 months ago

Why would you want to go through a Service Bureau? The only people I know that have done that are the ones that cannot get approved for an EFIN or bank products on their own. You can get reliable, reputable software for a low price and training/support is always included. And I'm sorry but if you cannot fill out the EFIN application on your own you should not be preparing taxes.

gone with the wind in Fort Lauderdale, Florida

62 months ago

you say why would you use a service bureau, but i have an efin, and still got denied...i went through a service bureau and was accepted off back...it made me feel so good this year.

62 months ago

The problem with that is you will be stuck with that service bureau forever because you will not be able to include the bank products you get as your own. Most of them want to see your bank products history. What banks did you try? Chase is more lenient.

62 months ago

You are not really stuck with the Service Bureau. I spoke wht the bank a few days ago. The Service Bureau is rated by averaging all the EFINs that it represents. So it makes sure that all do the correct job and screens all applicants properly. But if as an individual office you did well, you can apply to the bank and get rated on your own EFIN. I will be able to offer all bank products. The bank told me this would be the case either through the Service Bureau or individually because of my past record. I stay with the service bureau because I get high priced software for a fraction of the cost.

Pro Tax Preparer

61 months ago

All I am saying is that the service bureau is making money off of you somehow. Otherwise they would not be doing it. I am an Enrolled Agent and know some others that tell me theirservice bureau income is quite large. What software are they giving you? Do you know how much it really costs? Also, are they charging you for bank products or efiling? Maybe they keep a percent of your revenue?

I know some servicebureaus that are run by great people that are there to help while others are pretty much loan sharks, but in the end they all make money.

61 months ago

They in fact make money. That stands to reason, since we are all in business to make money. The people I deal with are more than fair. They gave me a package that included the 1040, e-filing, bank products, states, 1041, 1065, 1120C, 1120S, 5500, 706 and more. They gave it to me for under $400. I also checked with the software company and the exact same package retails for over $2,300.00
They also have packages starting at $269.00 They helped me every step of the way. Answered all questions, etc. I'm staying with them.

Abe in Detroit, Michigan

61 months ago

Pro Tax Preparer said: All I am saying is that the service bureau is making money off of you somehow. Otherwise they would not be doing it. I am an Enrolled Agent and know some others that tell me theirservice bureau income is quite large. What software are they giving you? Do you know how much it really costs? Also, are they charging you for bank products or efiling? Maybe they keep a percent of your revenue?

I know some servicebureaus that are run by great people that are there to help while others are pretty much loan sharks, but in the end they all make money.

Which software company do you recommend or which one are you using presently?

Abe in Detroit, Michigan

61 months ago

Belinda Hernandez in San Antonio, Texas said: They in fact make money. That stands to reason, since we are all in business to make money. The people I deal with are more than fair. They gave me a package that included the 1040, e-filing, bank products, states, 1041, 1065, 1120C, 1120S, 5500, 706 and more. They gave it to me for under $400. I also checked with the software company and the exact same package retails for over $2,300.00
They also have packages starting at $269.00 They helped me every step of the way. Answered all questions, etc. I'm staying with them.

What is that company's website if yo don't mind so I can look into it because I am shopping arond right now for next year's season.

Pro Tax Preparer

61 months ago

If you do only individuals, TaxAct for professionals and ProSeries Basic are good. If you need an unlimited all inclusive package look at Drake. And by the way, that $269 or whatever they charge is just to be in their bureau. They probably charge another $4-5 for every return you prepare and maybe take a percent of your revenue. There isn't anything they can do that you cannot do without them, trust me. They prey on new preparers that are too afraid to completely do it on their own or simply don't k ow how to search for information online. The $2300 the software company charges is the total, there are no additional fees or revenue sharing.

TaxAct is $120 for federal, with fees added for states and efiling. ProSeries does not charge for efiling and the fee includes 1-2 states. Drake is $1300 for absolutely everything- 1040, 1041, 1120, 1065, payroll, accounting, PDF printer, document management system, efiling, etc. Support and training are always included.

itanana@gmail.com in Detroit, Michigan

61 months ago

Pro Tax Preparer said: If you do only individuals, TaxAct for professionals and ProSeries Basic are good. If you need an unlimited all inclusive package look at Drake. And by the way, that $269 or whatever they charge is just to be in their bureau. They probably charge another $4-5 for every return you prepare and maybe take a percent of your revenue. There isn't anything they can do that you cannot do without them, trust me. They prey on new preparers that are too afraid to completely do it on their own or simply don't k ow how to search for information online. The $2300 the software company charges is the total, there are no additional fees or revenue sharing.

TaxAct is $120 for federal, with fees added for states and efiling. ProSeries does not charge for efiling and the fee includes 1-2 states. Drake is $1300 for absolutely everything- 1040, 1041, 1120, 1065, payroll, accounting, PDF printer, document management system, efiling, etc. Support and training are always included.

Are you saying that Drake is the best of the 3 you mentioned? Which one do you use? Someone told me that ProSeries is what he uses for $2,000 without bank products because he doesn't need it.

Pro Tax Preparer

61 months ago

I use Drake now, but used TaxAct and ProSeries before. If you only do individuals and want something with a low upfront cost, TaxAct is a good solution but it's not the best out there. I liked ProSeries Basic but they raised their price a lot for next tax season and I just couldn't justify paying so much for the Basic version. Plus I do business and trust returns and was paying PPR fees on those. It is good software though and the upfront cost still is not that high, plus efiling is now free.

Drake is the best value because it includes all entities and all the features for one low price. The functionality is similar to ProSeries Professional. If I only did individual returns and I didn't do write up and payroll I would probably stick with ProSeries Basic. I would pay I Intuit over $2,000 for everything I get from Drake for $1200.

61 months ago

I liked the software that I got from the Service Bureau that I used. They gave me the
Taxwise Power package for under $400. It gave me everything I needed to do both individual, and business returns as well as the states that I needed. Its also easy to learn and use. I was very pleased. I know that the service bureau gets paid for what they do, but they did help me alot.

Pro Tax Preparer

61 months ago

And by the way Drake is only $995 if you pay for it in May. This includes the payroll and write up software of unlimited clients as well.

I have heard great things about TaxWise.

Abe in Detroit, Michigan

61 months ago

Belinda Hernandez in San Antonio, Texas said: I liked the software that I got from the Service Bureau that I used. They gave me the
Taxwise Power package for under $400. It gave me everything I needed to do both individual, and business returns as well as the states that I needed. Its also easy to learn and use. I was very pleased. I know that the service bureau gets paid for what they do, but they did help me alot.

Could you please elaborate more on what you meant by stating " know that the service bureau gets paid for what they do, but they did help me alot."

61 months ago

Service Bureaus charge you either a fee per return that can be as high as $40, as far as I have seen, and/or they take a percent of your revenue. In the end, even though they give you the software for a low price, you will probably end up paying them more than you would have spent without them. However, they help a lot- training, get an EFIN, PTIN, etc. If you are going to use one, make sure they are trustworthy and are not trying to squeeze you out of every dime you earn.

Belinda Hernandez in Houston, Texas

61 months ago

The service bureau helped me get my EFIN, they sent me the forms, fingerprint card and helped by answering questions. They helped me learn the software, they gave me free lessons on preparing taxes, and even a copy of their own test prep simulator for the enrolled agent exam. They answered questions during the tax season and even remotely got into my computer to help me with problem returns. I only did between 150 and 200 returns but the cost was minimal and once I calculated it out I didn't pay what the software would have cost directly from TW. It was well worth it to use the service bureau. They helped get me up and running.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Abe in Canton, Michigan

61 months ago

Belinda Hernandez in Houston, Texas said: The service bureau helped me get my EFIN, they sent me the forms, fingerprint card and helped by answering questions. They helped me learn the software, they gave me free lessons on preparing taxes, and even a copy of their own test prep simulator for the enrolled agent exam. They answered questions during the tax season and even remotely got into my computer to help me with problem returns. I only did between 150 and 200 returns but the cost was minimal and once I calculated it out I didn't pay what the software would have cost directly from TW. It was well worth it to use the service bureau. They helped get me up and running.

Who are these service bureau, and where do you find them? Is there a phone number or a website to contact them? Or do they have a different name.

Meme in Plaquemine, Louisiana

61 months ago

April in Winston Salem, North Carolina said: I'm looking into opening a tax prep business with RAL options but my credit is not so great. Does anyone know if there is a bank that will deal with this type of situation?

Did you find a company that works with people that want to do the RAL with not so perfect credit?

Page:  « Previous   1  2  3  4  5  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.