Tax prparation business and enrolled agent.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (50)

Jack Crespin in Scotia, New York

86 months ago

I am interested in starting a tax preparation business. Is it necessary to be a CPA or will accredidation as an enrolled agent be sufficient? Where do you get your first clients from?

As for enrolled agent. How can I start studying for the exam. I may be a little bit overly ambitious because I don't know business taxation yet. How can I learn this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (181) / No (34) Reply - Report abuse

Jack Crespin in Schenectady, New York

84 months ago

Thank you both for your informative answers. I think that about covers it.

Jack

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Irene in San Diego, California

79 months ago

Soncera LaMar in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania said: Hello Jack,

I am the owner of a tax business called TaxTime Financial and if you need help opening your own business and would like to become a part of TaxTime Financial please check out our web site at TaxTimeFinancial.com or give us a call M-W 11 am to 4pm.

I am planing to open tax preparation business. I will be interesting in any business opportunity. Please response g042@hotmail.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

RAY JONES in Jacksonville, Florida

73 months ago

I AM A TAXPREPARER IN FL I NEED INFO ON WHATS THE BEST BANK TO USE FOR RALS AN OTHER BANK PRODUCTS,SINCE HSCB DOES NOT PARTICIPATE ANY MORE. RAY JONES MAIL RAY JONES114@YAHOO.COM

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Todd in Huntington Beach, California

70 months ago

I used Gleim study materials for the EA exam and I passed. Don't try to study for the exam using the IRS pubs, it's much easier using a study guide.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

271 in Huntington Beach, California

65 months ago

Todd in Huntington Beach, California said: I used Gleim study materials for the EA exam and I passed. Don't try to study for the exam using the IRS pubs, it's much easier using a study guide.

Hi Tod,

This is Tad in Huntington Beach, California. Really that's my name and I work here. I want to become EA and thinking of using Gleim study for the EA exams. I don't have any tax preparing experience at all and this is career change for me. Can you tell me how long it takes to complete the Gleim study and pass the EA exams.

Thank you Tod,

Tad

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Todd in Orange, California

65 months ago

Hi Tad,
When I took the exam, you had to take all 4 parts at once. Now, you can take one at a time. I didn't have any tax preparing experience either and I studied for a few months using a CPA study guide because that was all I had. I then found the Gleim study guides online and crammed for 6 weeks using the Gleim guides. I was unemployed at the time and studied about 6 hours a day and I passed all 4 parts. It's really not possible to say how much study time you will need as everyone learns at a different pace. If you study hard and retain quick, I would say a month or less for each of the 4 parts of the exam. Good Luck

Patrick in Tulsa, Oklahoma

65 months ago

I just took part III today and passed. I used Gleim study book and CD ROM. It certainly helped and I probably wouldn't have passed it without it, but I was a little disappointed in all of the questions that "weren't" included in the study materials. I think a few years ago the IRS stopped giving out the questions from previous tests, so I don't think Gleim has as good of idea of what the questions will be. Many moons ago I passed the CPA exam on the first attempt after taking the Becker CPA review course and it was much better at preparing for the test than Gleim is, at least in my opinion. I don't know if Becker has a EA option. Anyway, good luck. Study hard.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

271 in Huntington Beach, California

65 months ago

Hi Tod,

Thank you so much for your reply. I really didn't expect any response from you. It was a kind gesture to encourage a complete stranger like myself. I am really excited about studying and preparing for the EA exam. I will study hard for at least 3 months and am determined to pass it the first time. I hope all is well for Tod of Huntington Beach. Much success and hopefully I get to meet you someday.

Thank you again,

Tad

kettiap in Pompano Beach, Florida

60 months ago

Im currently taking a tax course in my University. but I also want to take the EA exam in February 28th. I have the Gleim study guide with the CD rom I only have Dec thru Feb to study is possible that I can still pass just by doing the study guide and the CD rom without reviewing the irs publications.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

Yes, it's possible, but I would review the IRS pubs too. If you have full time to study you might get it done by Feb 28th. I have parts 1 and 3 done. Part 2 will wait until next year. I studied probably 35 hours for part 3 and probably 150 - 200 hours for part 1. There is a ton of material in Parts 1 and 2.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

toddw8888

60 months ago

I passed just using the Gleim study guides. I wouldn't recommend the IRS pubs, way to much material and way to boring. A good website to practice on is wiseguides.com, you can take tests for free on many areas of tax.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

60 months ago

I agree that the pubs are boring and have too much information, but I learned a lot by reading them. Gleim's "outline" way of presenting the material is not the easiest to read and comprehend. If you read Gleim and then the Pub's it seems to make more sense. Especially, the parts that are new to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Professional Tax Preparer in Tampa, Florida

60 months ago

Yes, you can do it by the end of February. I used the Phoenix course. I would say you should at least review the outline on the Prometric website and make sure everything is covered in your study materials.

The amount of time you need to study depends on how much tax prep experience and education you have. I actually did not study much at all. I studied the most for Part 1 because I had the most free time available before I took it, around 60 hours. I studied about 20 hours for Part 3. Then by the time I took Part 2 I didn't have much time at all, so I only studied around 15 hours.

josgirl in Saint Louis, Missouri

60 months ago

I used the text book from Arthur's EA Review to study for the EA exam and passed the first time when IRS did an overhaul of the exam in 2006.

I strongly recommend Arthur's EA Review if you're a text book type individual. I think they even have a disk although I prefer learning by text book. By the way, I studied about 12 hours a week for 4 months before taking the exam. Good LUCK!

kettiap in Pompano Beach, Florida

60 months ago

thank you everyone for your encourage respond.

sabidv@yahoo.com in Louisville, Kentucky

58 months ago

anyone can help me with form 1099-S
How do you report it on Schedule D part II
I am not able to figure it out.
Is there any other form that should be used to.

Chuck McCabe in Richmond, Virginia

57 months ago

The IRS provides samples of prior years' SEE exams and answers to sample questions on the IRS website at the link below.

www.irs.gov/taxpros/agents/article/0,,id=100711,00.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

7523 in San Antonio, Texas

57 months ago

I am an authorized e-file agent and I have gotten examined by the IRS for the past 2 years. Is anyone else experiencing office examinations? or Does anyone know what would prompt an examination of my small office out of the 1000 of tax office in my city? Why me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Professional Tax Preparer in Tampa, Florida

57 months ago

How small is your office? Do a lot of your returns have EIC? Do all of them get refunds? There are many reasons why this could be happening. What type of examination is it- EIC, e-filing compliance, etc?

Smitha in Bethesda, Maryland

48 months ago

lee in Brookings, Oregon said: I'd like to talk to you about the books, please contact me at 541-4-12-9429-thanks, Lee

Hi Lee,

Thanks for your contact details. I have sold all my EA books which I mentioned on my earlier post.

Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kin in Saint Paul, Minnesota

47 months ago

I bought Exam Matrix at the IRS Tax Forum Orlando this past July. I agree with someone from an earlier post that it's a waste money. I purchased the Gleim books after discussions with some EA's in the MN chapter. I scheduled Part 1 for December 20, 2010 and started to study for it early December (appr 2 weeks). Passed on first try. Immediately scheduled Part 3 for yesterday, December 29th, and studied for about a week. Passed. I hope to take Part 2 middle January before tax season kicks into full gear. I own and operate my own tax service and I thought the two exams I took were difficult. You are given 3.5 hours to take each exam. It took me 1.75 hours each exam and while going through the exams I thought for sure I did not pass as the wording in the questions made it difficult and kept confusing me.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ray in Jacksonville, Florida

47 months ago

7523 in San Antonio, Texas said: I am an authorized e-file agent and I have gotten examined by the IRS for the past 2 years. Is anyone else experiencing office examinations? or Does anyone know what would prompt an examination of my small office out of the 1000 of tax office in my city? Why me?

usually these audit are triggered by the amount of self-employed returns that you do,you will notice that your taxpayers that file self employed are getting review letters or audits,check it out.

SWOhioTaxPro in Dayton, Ohio

38 months ago

ray in Jacksonville, Florida said: usually these audit are triggered by the amount of self-employed returns that you do,you will notice that your taxpayers that file self employed are getting review letters or audits,check it out.

They are considering your office to have produced an extremely high volume of questionable returns. Could be Schedule C, EIC or any other refund producing credit. Take a closer look at how you are preparing these returns.

Terry J Richard III in Beaumont, Texas

36 months ago

I have passed the SEE all parts and have been admitted to practice before the IRS as an Enrolled Agent, I have the following correspondence for sale which helped me extremely...

Gleim 2009
Part I,II,III review textbook and CD whole set $180
Gleim 2010
Part I,II,III review textbook and Cd whole set $200

Both sets are in excellent condition

Soga in Hyattsville, Maryland

35 months ago

I've just passed all parts of the SEE exam, am located in Laurel, MD, got 1 year experience in 1040 and 1120S, Heamstead is about 48 miles from laurel, but I can still cope if the exposure and pay ok.

MEllis in Jessup, Maryland

35 months ago

Please email me your resume as a Word attachment to maude.ellis@fiducial.com.

Soga in Hyattsville, Maryland

35 months ago

Hi MEllis,
Thanks. I tried several times to mail the resume to you on the address maude.ellis@fiducial.com., but the mail did not go indicating error in recepient address. You may wish to provide a link to demisoga@gmail.com., which may aid the sending. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

JOHANN in Elmsford, New York

31 months ago

toddw8888 said: I passed just using the Gleim study guides. I wouldn't recommend the IRS pubs, way to much material and way to boring. A good website to practice on is wiseguides.com, you can take tests for free on many areas of tax.

150-200 HOURS IS TOTAL OVERKILL AND CONFUSES THE SH** OUT OF ANYONE. 30 - 40 HOURS PER PART IS MORE THAN ADEQUATE.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

AD in San Ramon, California

30 months ago

Hi Taxmomma,

If you haven't sold your books already, pls email me at ap.fleur@yahoo.com

Thanks,
-AD.

30 months ago

Hi,

I'm looking to sell me Gleim EA book Part 1 for $40. If interested, pls reply to this post or email me at ap.fleur@yahoo.com.

Thanks,
-AD.

30 months ago

taxmomma,ea said: I just passed all three of the SEE exams part 1,2 and 3. I am selling my 2011 Arthur EA books. Good condition.

Part 1 $50
Part 2 $50
Part 3 $50

alisavlz@yahoo.com

Hi Taxmomma,

If you haven't sold your books already, pls email me at ap.fleur@yahoo.com

Thanks,
-AD.

Wes in Concord, California

29 months ago

Anyone selling their study books?
I'm looking for some.
morganw1@live.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

AJ in San Jose, California

26 months ago

I have 1 each for sale
- Gleim 2012 SEE Review Part 1 - Around $100
- Arthur EA Review 2012 Part 1 - $65

Books have no markings.

kcchicks@yahoo.com in Santa Cruz, California

24 months ago

AJ in San Jose, California said: I have 1 each for sale

Books have no markings.

Do you still have these?

Anvi in San Ramon

24 months ago

I have Arthur EA Parts 1 and 3, 2012 books for sale. $65 each. Very good condition, lightly marked in pencil.

AJ in San Jose, California

24 months ago

kcchicks@yahoo.com in Santa Cruz, California said: Do you still have these?

Only have :
Arthur EA Review 2012 Part 1 - $55
Arthur EA Review 2012 Part 3 - $55

sonia67torres in Harker Heights, Texas

23 months ago

when you go to file for an indepent contractor, however, they don't own the bussiness, the get an 1099, which schedule do you use, schedule C or C-EZ?

Monique in Houston, Texas

17 months ago

sonia67torres in Harker Heights, Texas said: when you go to file for an indepent contractor, however, they don't own the bussiness, the get an 1099, which schedule do you use, schedule C or C-EZ?

Congratulations in wanting to own your tax business. Let my company save you some money by joining our affiliate program as an independent contractor. We specialized in computerized state and federal preparation of individuals and businesses income tax returns for taxpayers living anywhere in the United States which is why your a good candidate for our program.

We extend to the independent contractor our 16 plus years experience, our dedicated support network of Preparers and EROs, and tools to include but not limited to software and bank products needed to operate your business.

Our company will work as an extension of your company offering you a professional discount on our services, arrange a percentage based commission or discuss any other options you may be more comfortable with making this offer an affordable opportunity for a contractor to enter the tax industry. After we assist you with the setup of your office, our team will help you with completion of your customer's tax file as well as with resolving tax questions which is a plus for someone looking to start their own tax business.

Thanks for your time and consideration and we look forward to hearing back from you. Please visit our website for more information about us.

LuskTaxService.com

For more information on becoming an independent contractor, please request through email.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Ankit Singhal in India

11 months ago

AJ in San Jose, California said: I have 1 each for sale

Books have no markings.

Hi ,

This is to inform you that i have soft copies of Gleim books 2013 edition for Enrolled agents. Please mail me at ankitsinghal09jan@gmail.com, if you are interested.

Part 1 - $ 20
Part 2 - $ 20
Part 3 - $ 20

if you buy all parts you will save $ 10, so you can get all the parts for $ 50.

Please note it's a limited period offer.

Thanks,
Ankit Singhal

Ankit Singhal in India

11 months ago

kcchicks@yahoo.com in Santa Cruz, California said: Do you still have these?

Hi, i have 2013 edition Gleim Ebooks, reply me if interested. My Email id ankitsinghal09jan@gmail.com

The Finance Writer in Georgetown, Texas

10 months ago

The content of Enrolled Agent exam courses is copyrighted. Vendors with whom I'm familiar do not permit distribution of previously acquired materials. Attempting to transfer or re-sell these materials is a copyright violation.

Buyers of study materials should understand that courses from last year have outdated information. You can purchase an affordable online course with updated Enrolled Agent review materials at fastforwardacademy.com/enrolled-agent-exam-prep.htm. This site even has free access to sample questions.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ankit Singhal in Kolkata, India

10 months ago

CPA Ebooks on sale for $ 50. it's a 2013-14 wiley study guides.

Please let me know if you are interested. Email me @ ankitsinghal09jan@gmail.com

Thanks,
Ankit

10 months ago

Hi ,

This is to inform you that i have soft copies of Gleim books 2013 edition for Enrolled agents. Please mail me at ankitsinghal09jan@gmail.com, if you are interested.

Part 1 - $ 30
Part 2 - $ 30
Part 3 - $ 30

if you buy all parts you will save $ 10, so you can get all the parts for $ 80.

Please note it's a limited period offer.

Thanks,
Ankit Singhal

10 months ago

CPA Wiley 2014 Study Guide & Focus notes soft copies for sale just for $ 80, please note they are not scanned copies. If you buy it from Wiley all the parts including study guide & focus notes both will cost you $ 420. Email me if in case you are interested, Email - ankitsinghal09jan@gmail.com . Please note that all the transaction will be done through paypal which is safe for both buyer & seller.

10 months ago

Ankit Singhal in Kolkata, India said: CPA Wiley 2014 Study Guide & Focus notes soft copies for sale just for $ 80, please note they are not scanned copies. If you buy it from Wiley all the parts including study guide & focus notes both will cost you $ 420. Email me if in case you are interested, Email - ankitsinghal09jan@gmail.com . Please note that all the transaction will be done through paypal which is safe for both buyer & seller.

Hi,

Becker CPA 2014 study material, question, & simulation Ebook available for sale for $ 120, Market price is $ 1000. Wiley CPA is available for $ 80, market price is $ 420

Let me know if you are interested. All the payments will be done through paypal.com. Price negotiable, Email me ankitsinghal09jan@gmail.com

GannonServiceBureauDOTcom in Memphis, Tennessee

10 months ago

Free Tax Software & Free Bank Bank Products!

At Gannon Service Bureau, we’re offering professional tax preparation software ABSOLUTELY FREE! How do we do it?
We charge a small Service Bureau fee that is added to the line-item fees deducted directly from the taxpayer’s return – There is never any cost to you, and we never take your credit card information or any other form of payment!

Due to our agreement with the corporate office, we can't say the name of the software on this postcard, but when you call, you’ll discover it’s one of the biggest brands out there – this is the full-featured cloud-based online software sold on the corporate site for thousands of dollars! And with our conversion utility, you can seamlessly carry-forward your clients’ 2012 tax information into your new software for 2013!

Check us out on the web at GannonServiceBureau.com or call us at 1-855-GANNON-1

Julie Burgess in Vero Beach, Florida

7 months ago

Did EA application online 2/20/14, received certificate 3/29/14 (cert dated 3/24/14)

Chris Tax in Los Angeles, California

6 months ago

I am a CTEC California Income tax preparer. It takes a 60 hour course to get this

Chris
Owner CEL Financial Services
www.taxprepfillmore.com/santa-paula-tax-preparation

Julia in San Jose, California

3 months ago

Hi, I have an accounting degree with no working experience in taxation other than doing my own taxes and a short internship. I am interested in becoming an enrolled agent. Does anybody here know how someone like me (with no working experience)can prepare for the EA exams? Thank you.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.