What are typical tax preparer salaries?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (14)

Host

Do some companies pay a lot more for this position than others? What does a top earner make in this field?

What skills should you learn to increase your salary?

Reply - Report abuse

Roger in Tulsa, Oklahoma

36 months ago

If you work for one of the big tax prep companies, you'll be an employee and they will withhold taxes.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

dian66@aol.com in Pharr, Texas

34 months ago

Looking for Software and banking products, any suggestions? Would like to get contacted by preparers who reside in the South TX area, Hidalgo County.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

pbmsdiv in Fenton, Missouri

32 months ago

dian66@aol.com in Pharr, Texas said: Looking for Software and banking products, any suggestions? Would like to get contacted by preparers who reside in the South TX area, Hidalgo County.

TAXWARE is a great software company and Refund Advantage is a great bank. I have had great success with both and I have been in the industry for over 30 yrs before the bank products started.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

mj in Huntsville, Alabama

30 months ago

tlchristian@ymail.com in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Can someone tell me the best tax software to use. I am currently taking class from a Liberty Tax Franchisee and I have learned a lot. Especially in ethics. Being an honest Tax Preparer is by far the best angle given.

I've been in the business 11 years now. It's been great but it will take some time for u to become financially successful. You have to get your name out there. By the way Liberty is a rip off. I've had new clients come in my office after leaving Liberty. Said they tried to charge them $100 for single 1040ez. I charge $40 for that. I mean it only takes 10-15 minutes to prepare. I use ATX tax software, have from day one. It's great!! Very easy to use, and affordable. As for first year gross income I would expect around 10k. and thats if you advertise. would be more if you get a franchise, but not for me! Good luck great biz if you make it!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

csam in Waldoboro, Maine

30 months ago

I find these post helpful. I have one year left for my BS acctg degree. I am a number person. I am also a volunteer tax preparer. I was thinking of taking HR Block's tax course. I am wondering what the pay rate in maine is. I am not sure I want to because I feel uncomfortable with a company like this. I feel good that I can do a tax return for free and no idiotic gimmicks they force people into.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

aaaaa in Jamaica, New York

28 months ago

$8/hour

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

joy in Kansas City, Missouri

27 months ago

I work for H&R Block currently, but not as a tax professional. I was thinking of taking the course this summer so I could come back next season as a TP. I know the first year TPs only make $9.50 an hour (I'm in CA). The second years make $9 an hour but earn a commission. The commission percentage goes up with more experience/more years spent here, but is it worth it? I don't really know, and I don't feel comfortable asking my coworkers.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (64) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

dork in New York, New York

16 months ago

The 3 big companies (H&R, Liberty and Jackson Hewitt) pay minimum wage or barely above it.

Jackson Hewitt hired me at a higher starting rate since I had 2 years of prior tax preparation experience; when I got my first paycheck, it was at a lower rate and they refused to acknowledge the rate that they'd hired me.

One year I interviewed with Liberty tax and they would not disclose their pay rate until I agreed to come to training (for which I had to obtain a PTIN). However, I took the Liberty tax course, and I would definitely recommend it since you actually fill the 1040 forms by hand and in the process learn about all the rules.

I have worked through VITA (the IRS' volunteer tax preparation program) and was paid $15 an hour both seasons (through different nonprofits). That was a decent salary and the added bonus is that your clients aren't being ripped off with high fees (if that's the kind of thing you care about).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

parker1981 in Phoenix, Arizona

16 months ago

I worked four_non-consecutive_tax seasons at Jackson Hewitt in a storefront or Walmart ending 04/2011. I did training at Liberty Tax as well. The Jackson Hewitt tax jobs were with the same franchise. I had no problems at all with the "agreed upon' pay rate at any year. What I found out in my last tax season at JH was the 'idea' of 'you earn the hours you work'. This was quite a surprise to me and I worked two locations just to attempt to work the amount of hours I thought I was going to get. I really had to think this through with the cost of commuting, etc. ANY short-comings of my experience I interpret is due to my own performance. I will NOT disparage Jackson Hewitt nor Liberty for ' it is what it is '.

Make sure that you understand each environment / job demands before you sign any contract. I still like both companies and will consider working with them, dependent on the "IRS RTRP"

dork in New York, New York said: The 3 big companies (H&R, Liberty and Jackson Hewitt) pay minimum wage or barely above it.

Jackson Hewitt hired me at a higher starting rate since I had 2 years of prior tax preparation experience; when I got my first paycheck, it was at a lower rate and they refused to acknowledge the rate that they'd hired me.

One year I interviewed with Liberty tax and they would not disclose their pay rate until I agreed to come to training (for which I had to obtain a PTIN). However, I took the Liberty tax course, and I would definitely recommend it since you actually fill the 1040 forms by hand and in the process learn about all the rules.

I have worked through VITA (the IRS' volunteer tax preparation program) and was paid $15 an hour both seasons (through different nonprofits). That was a decent salary and the added bonus is that your clients aren't being ripped off with high fees (if that's the kind of thing you care about).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Onhill99 in New York

11 months ago

tlchristian@ymail.com in Charlotte, North Carolina said: Can someone tell me the best tax software to use. I am currently taking class from a Liberty Tax Franchisee and I have learned a lot. Especially in ethics. Being an honest Tax Preparer is by far the best angle given.

Tax Act

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

ken in Carlsbad, California

11 months ago

I just signed up for the H&R Block tax prep. course. My question is this: How much can I expect to make my first year and second? Also, do you need continuing ed courses? Do most 1st year prep. only work peak tax time or can I work year round. Is this really worth it if i'm 43 and looking to start a new career, but don't have the luxary of making min. wage for two years. Should I cancel my class. I do have financial services background and have passed the Series 7, 63 and real estate exams in the past. Please help!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

BPDoranCPA in Sugar Land, Texas

11 months ago

ken in Carlsbad, California said: I just signed up for the H&R Block tax prep. course. My question is this: How much can I expect to make my first year and second? Also, do you need continuing ed courses? Do most 1st year prep. only work peak tax time or can I work year round. Is this really worth it if i'm 43 and looking to start a new career, but don't have the luxary of making min. wage for two years. Should I cancel my class. I do have financial services background and have passed the Series 7, 63 and real estate exams in the past. Please help!

Ken, regardless of your past knowledge you're not a lot of good to a big firm like H&R block and based on earlier posts you are probably only looking at minimum wage to maybe $10 / hr. I would recommend that you try and find small CPA firm that is looking to add or grow their financial management services. Leverage the knowledge and experience you have.

My 2 cents.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No Reply - Report abuse

meecojohn1954 in Phoenix, Arizona

9 months ago

csam in Waldoboro, Maine said: I find these post helpful. I have one year left for my BS acctg degree. I am a number person. I am also a volunteer tax preparer. I was thinking of taking HR Block's tax course. I am wondering what the pay rate in maine is. I am not sure I want to because I feel uncomfortable with a company like this. I feel good that I can do a tax return for free and no idiotic gimmicks they force people into.

if you can get H&R block to answer their phones or email you back to take the course.. Went to liberty tax..because they answered the phone and emails. their course is very friendly and knowledgable. they know and teach tax prepartion Well!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.