Career Transition to Tech Writer?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Paul in Waterford, Michigan

81 months ago

I'm contemplating a complete career transition and would like to consider technical report writing as an option. I have a 4-year degree in business and have had several non-fiction books published in a field that requires solid analytical and writing skills, though none are technical in nature. I'm willing to go back to school and take more classes if necessary. Let me also mention that I'm in my late 40's. Do I have a reasonable shot of breaking into this field? Any suggestions, advice, or cautionary tales?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

PL in Iron Mountain, Michigan

80 months ago

Why do you want to become a tech writer? Have you considered being a Business Analyst? Speaking as a tech writer, you get little respect and any respect you do get, you have to fight for.

What industry are you considering?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Marry in Kingwood, Texas

79 months ago

Paul in Waterford, Michigan said: I'm contemplating a complete career transition and would like to consider technical report writing as an option. I have a 4-year degree in business and have had several non-fiction books published in a field that requires solid analytical and writing skills, though none are technical in nature. I'm willing to go back to school and take more classes if necessary. Let me also mention that I'm in my late 40's. Do I have a reasonable shot of breaking into this field? Any suggestions, advice, or cautionary tales?

You may be able to get a position right now. Just put the word out about your publications. Read up on the type of tech writing you would like to do and perhaps get a certification or two.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Techone in Portland, Oregon

66 months ago

If I were you, I'd consider a better career. Not because of you, but because the field can be a dead end.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dacoh

56 months ago

Techical writers are the first to be let go in layoffs, so it's not exactly a stable career path. I am in my 10th year doing it, I'm facing another layoff (this will be the 2nd), and I am burned out. The poster who said you get little to no respect and you have to fight for it was correct in my opinion. I found the experience writing corporate / financial policies and procedures to be better than software documentation in terms of respect / position in the organization. Of course, with the mortgage industry meltdown, those positions are now few and far between. My current position will likely be outsoruced to India soon.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Techone in Portland, Oregon

53 months ago

Heed Dacoh's message in terms of the tech writing career. But there is a good point in this message. There are many opportunities cropping up in terms of writing processes, policies and procedures. Especially with government agencies such as the utilities.

It requires focus and attention because the writing can be quite dry but if you apply yourself, you can find other avenues to develop within a company.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.