Educational Advise for Technical Writing Career

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1)

Taggize in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma

23 months ago

Hello,

I am currently a student struggling to decide on what educational path I should pursue in order to get my foot in the door to eventually be a Technical Writer. I have a passion for writing, designing and gathering information and am currently enrolled in a B.A. for Communication. However I realize this is a rather soft degree. I have always had a knack for technonolgy and would someday like to be part of companines such as Microsoft, Google, etc. I figure since technical writing is my goal that I would need to combine both my passions of writing and technology together in order to have more of an advantage in those fields.

So now I will get to my point. I am currently looking at obtaining an A.A.S. in Computer Information Systems as I believe that this added knowledge will hone my skills in understanding technology and how it works in the business realm, and also help me translate complex information from programmers, techs, etc. more appropriately. I am wondering if I would be steering myself off track to take time in getting this technical degree or would I be adding to my education and goals by becoming more familiar with computer information?

Thanks to all who take the time to reply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.