Grad School for technical writing

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

scytheye in Berkley, Michigan

53 months ago

HI, I'm about to graduate with a BA in English and would like to pursue grad school. What is the best degree to pursue in Grad School for technical writing?

Thanks
Josh

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dacoh in Los Angeles, California

53 months ago

scytheye in Berkley, Michigan said: HI, I'm about to graduate with a BA in English and would like to pursue grad school. What is the best degree to pursue in Grad School for technical writing?

Thanks
Josh

I would strongly recommend against a grad degree for technical writing. Most in the field have a BA or BS and most have degrees not related to technical writing. I have an MA and I've met other technical writers who also have MAs, but they are also unrelated to the profession. I would suggest looking at a certificate program and also looking at training courses to help you learn how to use the tools of the trade.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Josh in Berkley, Michigan

53 months ago

I should have said that Technical writing is one option I am looking at. I was wondering what other M.A. or PhD programs you have heard English majors going into besides English?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Dacoh in Los Angeles, California

53 months ago

I know the question, "what do you want to do?" is not easy to answer. I am 39 and have not answered it. I honestly think one of the most versatile grad degrees is an MBA. If you are interested in academia, a PhD is worth it and if not, it's usually not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

mlyn in Pine Bluff, Arkansas

52 months ago

A M. A. in Professional/Technical Writing or in Technical Communication is a good degree to pursue. Technical writing is not the same as English because I have both, a B. A. in English and a M. A. in Professional and Technical Writing. I work as a technical writer now. Yes, you can learn things on the job, but I work with people who have English (Writing) degrees. They know how to do technical writing, but they don't know why they do this instead of that. The M. A. provides you with the "why" behind the "how," which is very important to know. You take theoretical courses and receive more indepth knowledge of the field that you don't receive even with a B. A. in technical writing. You definitely don't receive it with a B. A. in English. It guides the decisions you make instead of just following instructions from a handbook or just doing what someone else tells you to do. You also learn how to use the software in a technical writing setting and knowledge of how it relates to the field regardless of what type of technical writing you do. The skills you learn and the full understanding of the field transfers to any type of technical writing. Just learning the "how" in one context and having to transfer into another context will be overwhelming when you don't have the "why" to help you make decisions not taught or given to you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Technical Writer in Westerville, Ohio

52 months ago

I have an Master of Science in English with a specialization in Technical Writing from Utah State Universtiy. The entire program is online and is designed for technical writing professionals already working in the field.

The program is excellent, and is well-respected. I worked full time while pursuing my degree -- so I took one class per semester. It took me four years to complete, but you can certainly take a much faster track.

Here's a link to the program's website:

techcomm.usu.edu/grad/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

AV in Columbus, Ohio

50 months ago

Just moved to Central Ohio a month ago, Westerville is just down the road and am looking for job opportunities in the area. In addition, I am a senior pursing a BA in tech comm. Becamed overwelmed today as I was trying to find an online accrediated school that would help get me to the next level. I attend DeVry and Keller is the next logical sister school. Dont see any sense in pursing a M.A. as a means to an end...must have purpose. I was just about to click off and complete my finals this week when I saw your post. Thank you. Also, if you have some something encouraging to add I would listen. Please feel free to post as I do want to earn a Masters in Tech Comm.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.