Graduating with a degree in technical writing...how do I get a job?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

kitan in Saint George, Utah

43 months ago

I'm graduating with a bachelor's in English with an emphasis in professional and technical writing on May 6. I want to get a job as soon after graduation as humanly possible. I know that I'm going to have to move to get a tech writing job because there are no jobs like that in this rural area...I'm open to moving anywhere except Alaska or Hawaii.

I've been looking at technical writer job listings on Monster and I find that virtually all of those jobs want at least 2 years (most want more) of technical writing experience. This is my problem...how can I get experience in technical writing if I can't get a technical writing job without already having experience? Seems like kind of a Catch-22 :(

I know that this experience requirement probably is due to the fact that there weren't always degree programs in technical writing available. That doesn't help me much, though. :/

Does anyone have any advice for me? I need a job, and I owe too much money in student loans to work fast food. :(

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

BCamp in Phoenix, Arizona

43 months ago

I too am looking for the answer to this question. I will be graduating from a 4 year university with a technical communications degree and over my head in debt with student loans. I can't work for free during school because I have bills to pay. Many of us aren't fortunate enought to have our education already paid for. It seems like my degree alone doesn't weigh too much. I will be joining STC to try and gain more experience and be around people in the industry. Other than that, I am not sure what else I can do unless I know someone who can get me an in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.