Interview Preparation

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Host

Do you have any tips to help prepare for an upcoming technical writer interview?

Are there common interview questions that come up again and again?

Reply - Report abuse

Techone in Portland, Oregon

89 months ago

Rehearse all possible questions and answers in your mind before the interview.

Don't say negative things about anyone during the interview.

Don't focus on yourself. Focus on how you can help the company thrive by hiring you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

missaugustina in Seattle, Washington

81 months ago

Be prepared to show knowledge/expertise of any skills you have listed on your resume. If you said you know a particular computer language or tool, you will likely be asked to demonstrate knowledge of that item.

When given the opportunity, discuss projects you've worked on and how you were able to contribute given your unique perspective as a technical communications professional. Discuss your standards of writing and how you approach problem solving.

Depending on the job, you probably won't be interviewed by other writers, but by managers or even engineers. Being able to connect instantly and build a rapport with those people is the most important thing you will need to do as a writer. Being able to make that connection in the interview is a key indicator of whether or not you will be a good fit for the job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Anne in Contoocook, New Hampshire

75 months ago

I am a tech writer and have been to one interview where they gave me a piece of equipment and told me to write how to take it apart as though I was hired. Be prepared to hit the ground running.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Paul- Lewis in Yakima, Washington

75 months ago

yeah the equipment test is a pain. Just remember interviewing 101 stuff for the behavioral portion and you'll be ok. As said above focus on how you can help the company.

As for the equipment test, have a comp or pencil +paper ready, then remember to recite the steps in your mind, or shorthand them down on a piece of paper.

On commonly asked questions, look for software questions and group questions to be a strong primary focus.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Techone in Hillsboro, Oregon

71 months ago

The great HR conversation starter (or stopper): Tell me about yourself.

Be prepared with an elevator speech for that one. If you don't have an elevator speech, research how to prepare one on the web.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.