Job Fairs and Technical Writers

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

KMurphy in Cranford, New Jersey

64 months ago

Just wondering if it's worthwhile to attend job fairs when looking for a job in technical writing. If yes, how do I know which ones to attend, and which to skip?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Paul- Lewis in Yakima, Washington

59 months ago

Attend everything.

I went to a job fair about half an hour from where I was and maybe handed out half of the 20 resumes I printed. The demand at the fair was mostly for finance and computer science. I was able to find contacts with construction firms, media, health care and Technical writing (after several interviews).

Remember that tech writing gives you a unique skill set. You might not be a tech writer at your first post, but as long as you keep your skills sharpened, you'll have a good shot at your second, or create the role at your original job.

PRan in Oakland, California

59 months ago

I am a tech writer with over 15 years of experience, mostly documenting CRM software. After I got laid off last year, I started contracting in the pharma industry. I miss the software biz, and I am losing my technical chops because like most of health care, pharama is still paper-based and rarely uses online or publishing tools.

My question or delimma is this - should I just stay in health care where at least I can find a contract until the economy recovers, or try to find a spot in software? Has anyone seen or heard about any trends in this area, especially in other parts of the country (I am on the West Coast)?

Thanks!

Techone in Portland, Oregon

59 months ago

I would attend every longshot I hear about. If only for the moral boost and experience giving a 3 minute speech of your experience.

To PRan: It doesn't hurt to apply for software jobs while you are working somewhere else.

I would consider staying in healthcare and biotech. There seems to be good money in it and lots of opportunity. Also, they sometimes have inhouse software groups if you do some networking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

PRan in Oakland, California

59 months ago

Thank you for you reply, it was quite helpful. I know you are right about the bio and pharma industries being the most robust right now but I also find the work to be incredibly boring. Right now I need a job so I won't complain out loud!

Andrew Pass

22 months ago

Interestingly, I am trying to find a way to find really good writers to work with my company. We are an educational development company that works with educational publishers and other organizations to develop content. Our writers must be very skilled in their subject matter and in pedagogy. It's always a challenge to find good people. I sometimes wonder if it is worthwhile going to job fairs to try and find new writers.

By the way, if you are interested in learning more about our company the website is www.apasseducation.com.

nicinmn@gmail.com in Minneapolis, Minnesota

22 months ago

Andy,
I'm responding to your note about looking for educational developers. I'm experienced in that area. Would you please contact me at nicinmn@gmail.com?
Thank you very much.
Nic Baker

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.