Technical Writing Degree

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1)

Dante in Royal Oak, Michigan

58 months ago

Hi all -
There are so many roads to becoming a Technical Writer, it is very confusing!

I don't have any science classes - nor do I have any experience but I am about a year away from finishing a Bachelor's degree of my choosing - and I have to now start choosing. I am great at writing and am able to learn software very quickly. Also, several interest inventories have confirmed my suspicions that Technical Writing would be a good fit for me...

Having read "The Tech Writer's Survival Guide", by Janet Van Wicklen, I have found that I simply do not have the experience to break in without first getting both a degree and an internship. I don't have the funds to get too technical (ex: learning C++ , Physics, or Medicine).

Which of these types of programs are best for getting hired? Technical Communication BS, English BA with courses in Tech. Writing, or Professional and Tech Writing? If the name itself means nothing, what should the minimum requirements be that most employers are seeking?

Anyhow, I would welcome your advice as I may be moving to get closer to a school that has a better chance at getting me hired post-graduation.

Thanks,
Dante

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.