What qualifications/credentials do I need to be an entry-level technical writer?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

Bui in Paris, Texas

47 months ago

I tried applying twice already to a software company called Reynolds and Reynolds for an entry-level position that required no experience. I graduated from A&M with a degree in English and figured that they would take that into consideration, but in the end, they decided not to call me back or e-mail me to go forward with the interview process.

So, I really want to start a career doing technical writing. I regretfully haven't taken any internships since I've took part-time jobs during the summer to pay for whatever I needed to pay, so that probably hurt me for the job. What else are these companies looking for in an entry-level technical writer? Do I need to take any technical writing classes, even if what they teach there probably don't have anything to do with the way the job entails?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Vanessa in Houston, Texas

46 months ago

Wow, I'm in the EXACT same boat as you! And I applied to that company too. Those fuckers made me take those damn tests and waste my time for nothing. I have no clue how to go about it, but I am going to a headhunter tomorrow. I'll let you know if I figure anything out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.