salaries

Comments (4)

Carrie in Windsor, Connecticut

88 months ago

What kind of salary should I be looking for in Chicago as a non-management senior technical writer? This is for a friend, so I don't have a lot of other details. Any ideas? Or questions I should ask?

Techone in Portland, Oregon

76 months ago

That's a big question depending on the area and the technology. Research the Internet for your area. Senior level writers can make anywhere from $45 to over 100K.

CyberMikey in Valrico, Florida

61 months ago

Carrie in Windsor, Connecticut said: What kind of salary should I be looking for in Chicago as a non-management senior technical writer? This is for a friend, so I don't have a lot of other details. Any ideas? Or questions I should ask?

Without any research, and given the cost of living for the Windy City, I would "guess" somewhere in the $65K/year range, easily. But don't take my word for it. There are online "salary calculators" you can find that will tell you the median income for a particular area, for a certain job profile. Go by this. The person who said "anywhere from $45 to over 100K" is pretty much "blanketing" the whole country and, I expect, not telling you what you wanted to hear. I hope this gives you a little more direction. Good luck!

D Ann in Ironton, Ohio

44 months ago

Your best bet is to go to www.indeed.com, scroll down to tools, click on Salary finder, enter the title of "technical writer" or "senior technical writer" and the city/state. Indeed will show you the AVERAGE salary for that job in the city.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.