Are telecom technician job opportunities growing or declining?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Host

Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most telecom technician opportunities?

Reply - Report abuse

rick in Gravois Mills, Missouri

88 months ago

Mohit in Delhi, India said: Yes jobs are rising telecom industry will boom atleast for another 5 years.

www.ktpl.com

Thats in INDIA,telecom tech is in decline in the u.s.as wireless takes over.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rod

83 months ago

Mohit in Delhi, India said: Yes jobs are rising telecom industry will boom atleast for another 5 years.

www.ktpl.com

Well I have 35 years experience in most aspects of telecommunications and I haven't found anything. I have been unemployed since July 2007! Where are all these alleged jobs? I think Telecom employers are predjuced to age also!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

robert in Albuquerque, New Mexico

82 months ago

Rod said: Well I have 35 years experience in most aspects of telecommunications and I haven't found anything. I have been unemployed since July 2007! Where are all these alleged jobs? I think Telecom employers are predjuced to age also!

I think you hit the nail on the head as far as there being age discrimination with our years in the business. I don't think that albuquerque has that many jobs ie. (telecom) here,and if you find one the pay is usually low like most jobs in albuquerque!! I have many years also and alot of experience in various facets of the telecom industry,underground work(manholes)cat6 cabling jobs,air pressure underground, telephone system installations etc. Yes!, it has been very difficult to find work that will pay you a decent wage,but that has been going on for years here,as you well know. Email me back if you locate some work here in albuquerque. Thanks, Bob N.

Rod

73 months ago

Well it's Nov 2008..I am still unemployed since July 2007 except for a few temp labor jobs. I still have 35+ years experience in all aspects of telecom work. I guess I need to move to India..Its over when you hit 60..I have recently applied for several jobs I was more than qualitfied for,but the HR depts out there now are too rude and unthoughtful to acknowledge your resume whether declined or not!!

Steve in Summerville, South Carolina

73 months ago

Host said: Are jobs in this industry on the rise? Are there any sub-sectors that are growing?

Where are the jobs? Which places have the most telecom technician opportunities?

Where are the jobe? There aren't any.

I'm a senior level tech with one a telecom company and I'm lucky to have a job at all. This is the most dead end career path imaginable. The companies are constantly merging and changing while technology keeps shrinking and shrinking..

Run far and run fast from this industry. I know we all enjoy and take pride in our work, but at the end of the day we still have to make a living and keep our sanity. Personally, I'm going back to school and leaving telecom behind completely..

Donny in Hooksett, New Hampshire

70 months ago

Rod said: Well I have 35 years experience in most aspects of telecommunications and I haven't found anything. I have been unemployed since July 2007! Where are all these alleged jobs? I think Telecom employers are predjuced to age also!

As far as age descrimination;I have job postings that openly state the applicable age is 18 to 40.I am almost 51,with a wealth of knowledge/experience along with excellent health.Outside plant and commercial installations will do that if it doesn't kill you first! I am in the process of consulting a "HUNGRY SHARK" about possible legal action regarding this matter.I won't go any further @ this because I don't want to tip my hand.Anyone else out there who may have similar info regaarding this matter should do likewise.Your 'SHARK' will work for a piece of any settlement,but their legal fees will run up quickly! On average $100-$250 an hour for anyone worth their salt. IF YOU CAN'T BEAT EM' STICK EM'!!! Best of luck to all of you!

QT in Cape Coral, Florida

63 months ago

It was great down here in Florida after Charlie, Whilma, & Rita. We were 2 of the last 3 still working when they closed up shop in March, 2008. We Worked cable after Ike, but even Comcast won't touch my husband or my application. If they think your female or over 45, forget it.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.