What are the best telecommunications technician qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a telecommunications technician? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective telecommunications technician?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

scphoneguy in Greenville, South Carolina

69 months ago

Cisco, Nortel, Avaya...in that order

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Warren in Grove, Oklahoma

69 months ago

I second what scphoneguy said.

Though, I learned Nortel first, working on Cisco certs now.

ymdhzkr in Lebanon, Tennessee

47 months ago

Warren in Grove, Oklahoma said: I second what scphoneguy said.

Though, I learned Nortel first, working on Cisco certs now.

I worked Bellsouth before AT&T, got some good training w Nortel stuff, then I went to Tellabs which was booming there for awhile until things went boom. My question is where is the hookup for the Cisco certs or is it possible,(advisable) to get anything from ebay? In that regard, would you want to part with your training material? $

ts

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Richard Parker in Saint Paul, Minnesota

38 months ago

Host said: What is the best training for becoming a telecommunications technician? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective telecommunications technician?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

What I need to brush up my telecom skills

MarcosAli in Imperial, California

36 months ago

look for certifications of
COMPTIA www.comptia.org
and
ETA (electronics technician association)they have many certificate areas of telecomm

www.eta-i.org/certifications.html

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

David in London, United Kingdom

8 months ago

Hi,
I worked for some of the vendor companies like Alcatel-lucent, Huawei Ericsson and NSN. From my experience don't always run for top best certifications. Just study the job market and the technology updates in your field. [My Example ( When I gone for Huawei training I never believed it will more useful,As other major telecom vendors had 90% live networks. But this Chinese company came up with more technology updated and cheapest product, it almost penetrated every telecom market].

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.