INCOME FROM HOME-BASED TRAVEL AGENCY

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 155)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Athena in Fairfield, California

32 months ago

VOA in Ottawa, Ontario said: PLEASE CAN SOMEONE IN CANADA OR the U.S. PLEASE TELL ME APPROXIMATELY HOW MUCH ONE CAN MAKE AS HOME-BASED TRAVEL AGENT? PLEASEEEEEE HELP! I really interested in this but I would like to know if it is worth it. I like traveling myself.

Hey, I see no one has responded to you, which is wrong. I went to college and earned 3 certificates in Travel in 2008. I started a home-based business through a host agency for a brief time. If you have a good host agency that is legit, and that pays a good commission split (with low fees), and that has good training and a good reputation, you could do o.k. But, you have to hustle to find your business, and you are in competition with the internet. None of these agencies give you leads, the only one I know is American Express, and you have to have sold approx. $100,000 dollars worth of travel in order to work with them. However, if you find a niche, and a good agency, it is worthwhile because you can travel with FAM trips, and get diccounted travel.

Look on NACTA to find a certified, bonified host agency. Check everything out to see which one suits you, and call them to see how they represent themselves on the phone.

Blessings, keep me posted; happy holidays.

Athena

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

shannonhb in Los Osos, California

32 months ago

Athena in Fairfield, California said: I know somebody out there is rocking a home-based travel business and doing well... Give us some inspiration, and let's start a conversation. Maybe we can join forces and get a huge group tour going.

Hello Athena! The GREEK GODDESS of WISDOM! Ahhh My prayers have been answered! LOL! Kidding, no pressure. You've given ME inspiration! I am very new to this travel thing and am weighing my options and doing as much research as I can before I dive head first into something I might regret. You sound knowledable and seem to know a bit about the industry. Do you still operate your home based business? Through a host agency? Can you make a decent living at it? Is there one Host agency you would recommend over another? Would you advise someone looking for a new career to even consider the home based travel business? Did you think you would be involved in a game of 20 questions when you woke up this morning?
HA! I'd love to be able to chat with someone who has some experience in this field. Any info you want to share would be much appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

knowledgeable, WOW, what a bad word to mispell! LOL!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

shannonhb in Los Osos, California said: knowledgeable, WOW, what a bad word to mispell! LOL!

Girl, I don't know if it is worthwhile or not. I just got my information package to sign-up with an agency I got off of the NACTA website. I can't say if they are good or bad yet. If you create a niche, e.g., destination honeymoons, golf tours, senior groups, etc. then you can do o.k. You don't get commission on domestic air fare anymore (that stopped years ago), you might still get commission on International travel, but I am not sure. You can charge a sepearte reasonable fee to book domestic airfare, as long as you are clear with the customer about your fees. If you love to travel, like me, you can get good deals and go on FAM trips to familiarize yourself with different regions. They are really inexpensive. Do you know a lot of people that travel? If so, you can do business with them. I would say it takes time to build a travel business, and don't quit your day job! lol I haven't quite decided if I am even going to send my paperwork in to this agency yet...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

VOA in Ottawa, Ontario said: Thanks Athena for answering those questions from Shannonhb. Did that host agency say you could start benefiting from travel consultant discounted airfares (travel agent rates) immediately or you have to be with a recognized agency for a year? I was checking some airlines and the information they posted says to benefit from AD75/AD50 rates, you must have been working in the industry and affiliated with a recognized agency that has valid IATA number and/or you must have earned commission of at least $5000 in the past year. Although FAM trips will be different, I think.

As soon as you register with an agency that has a CLIA and/or ITAN number and that is licensed to sell travel in the regions that they do business you should be able to get a travel agent discount, or you can book for yourself at published rates and get commission from your trips. You book your travel under the host agency's numbers. For both of you ladies, the best way to make money is to put togather group tours or cruises. It takes months to put a group cruise togather, though. I took a group travel class at Los Medanos College, all of their travel classes are online. A good host agency will train you on how to fill out the forms, and do the math calculations on a group cruise or tour.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

Athena in Fairfield, California said: As soon as you register with an agency that has a CLIA and/or ITAN number and that is licensed to sell travel in the regions that they do business you should be able to get a travel agent discount, or you can book for yourself at published rates and get commission from your trips. You book your travel under the host agency's numbers. For both of you ladies, the best way to make money is to put togather group tours or cruises. It takes months to put a group cruise togather, though. I took a group travel class at Los Medanos College, all of their travel classes are online. A good host agency will train you on how to fill out the forms, and do the math calculations on a group cruise or tour.

VOA, I just assumed you are a female. If you are not soooorrrry. lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

Athena in Fairfield, California said: VOA, I just assumed you are a female. If you are not soooorrrry. lol

You need to sell a certain amount of travel to get YOUR OWN cards; however, as I mentioned you reach your quota by selling through you host agency. They in turn will help you get your cards.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

Hi VOA & Athena! Thanks for answering some of my questions. You guys have lots of good information. I am planning on getting into Group Travel Athena and I'm very interested in the online classes you mentioned! Can't wait to look into it. I will check it out. What made you choose the angency that you chose? Any specific service you were looking for? Fill out those papers and get going! It's a big step but it's the first step!!!! Keep us posted!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

VOA in Ottawa, Ontario

32 months ago

Awesome! That is what my proposed host agency said but I wanted to be sure the info was correct. This is the advantage of an informative forum like this....where one can seek further clarification. I am enrolling with them in January. It is a Canada-based agency since I am in Canada. Anthena, I am a gentleman..lol but it does not matter! Thank you very much for providing useful info. I am happy Shannon is getting some tips as well :)

VOA in Ottawa, Ontario

32 months ago

Athena in Fairfield, California said: You need to sell a certain amount of travel to get YOUR OWN cards; however, as I mentioned you reach your quota by selling through you host agency. They in turn will help you get your cards.

Awesome! That is what my proposed host agency said but I wanted to be sure the info was correct. This is the advantage of an informative forum like this....where one can seek further clarification. I am enrolling with them in January. It is a Canada-based agency since I am in Canada. Anthena, I am a gentleman..lol but it does not matter! Thank you very much for providing useful info. I am happy Shannon is getting some tips as well :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

YEAH! Love it you guys!!! You are really inspiring me. Here's a question for ya, do you know if you can sell group travel under a host agency? Wow, I'm getting really excited! Are we the only ones in here? Anyone interested in switching to regular mail?
I'm Shannon, 44, female, (thanks for clarifying Voa!) on the Central Coast of California. Recently changed careers! Would love to continue this, I'm at shannonhb@msn.com.
:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

Ok, not "Regular " Mail, EMAIL of course.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

VOA in Ottawa, Ontario said: Awesome! That is what my proposed host agency said but I wanted to be sure the info was correct. This is the advantage of an informative forum like this....where one can seek further clarification. I am enrolling with them in January. It is a Canada-based agency since I am in Canada. Anthena, I am a gentleman..lol but it does not matter! Thank you very much for providing useful info. I am happy Shannon is getting some tips as well :)

Hey VOA, I thought you might be a gentleman after I said something about girls. lol I am excited that you are signing with this agency, but how much is the fee, if any? Do they have a website that customers can book travel on and that the credit goes directly go to YOU. Sometimes the agencies steal your customers. Do they have good training? Do they pay overrides? Do they provide E & O insurance (Errors and Ommission)? Do they have a behind the scences "office" where you can look at and track all your sales? How many agents do they have? Is there a sales quota you have to make? Do they have a lead generating program? Most importantly are they affilated with NACTA, and other travel industry leaders. These are some of the questions I ask. My agency is free to join with no monthly fees. I think there might be a 20.00 dollar a month fee if you want a website.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

shannonhb in Los Osos, California said: YEAH! Love it you guys!!! You are really inspiring me. Here's a question for ya, do you know if you can sell group travel under a host agency? Wow, I'm getting really excited! Are we the only ones in here? Anyone interested in switching to regular mail?
I'm Shannon, 44, female, (thanks for clarifying Voa!) on the Central Coast of California. Recently changed careers! Would love to continue this, I'm at shannonhb@msn.com.
:)

Hey Shann,

I am calling you Shann for short from now on. lol You need to find an agency that has a good group sales department to walk you through it. After you do it the first time you will be fine. As I menitoned there are forms, time schedules, payment plans, travel confirmations, and then final payments. Always, always recommend that your customers get travel insurance (a good agency will give you commission on it too). Be careful of exclusions; for instance, if a person with high blood pressure gets sick on a plane, the insurance company might not pay for early termination of their trip due to illness because it was a pre-existing condition. Check out the website www.insuremytrip.com. READ EVERYTHING and click every link, tab, and anything else clickable to understand the policies before you reccommend them to a client. Lastly, you goes need to check out some of the other Indeed travel forums. They are breaking it DOWN!! Sad to say it is what I thought it was...It is very slow to build business; they are booking charity cruies with hospitals and only selling to cabins. They are spending thousands on marketing and not making much of a profit. This is down economy, if you are going to sell travel do it for the love of the business. One more thing people don't seem to understand on these sites is that companies have a co-op marketing program that will help you pay for some of your marketing expenses. If you want to book a group tour on Royal Cruises

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

Athena in Fairfield, California said: Hey Shann,

I am calling you Shann for short from now on. lol You need to find an agency that has a good group sales department to walk you through it. After you do it the first time you will be fine. As I menitoned there are forms, time schedules, payment plans, travel confirmations, and then final payments. Always, always recommend that your customers get travel insurance (a good agency will give you commission on it too). Be careful of exclusions; for instance, if a person with high blood pressure gets sick on a plane, the insurance company might not pay for early termination of their trip due to illness because it was a pre-existing condition. Check out the website www.insuremytrip.com . READ EVERYTHING and click every link, tab, and anything else clickable to understand the policies before you reccommend them to a client. Lastly, you goes need to check out some of the other Indeed travel forums. They are breaking it DOWN!! Sad to say it is what I thought it was...It is very slow to build business; they are booking charity cruies with hospitals and only selling to cabins. They are spending thousands on marketing and not making much of a profit. This is down economy, if you are going to sell travel do it for the love of the business. One more thing people don't seem to understand on these sites is that companies have a co-op marketing program that will help you pay for some of your marketing expenses. If you want to book a group tour on Royal Cruises

I have so many typos, I am going too fast. I meant you guys and sold two cabins. Overlook any other typos, because I am tired of proof-reading. I am about to watch a movie. lol

32 months ago

VOA and Shann, one last IMPORTANT thing you HAVE to make sure that the agency of your choosing is a member of many travel accrediting agencies. If they are not you and your customers might get ripped OFF! I have heard of travel agenices shutting down, and not paying ANYONE for ANYTHING. They took the monies and ran, or shut down! Accrediting agenices make the travel agencies follow strict guidelines, and they most have a certain background to even become a member. Most agencies are going to want you to carry your own E & O insurance, too.

Hope this info helps... movie time--I am watching "The Help".

32 months ago

correction: must

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

VOA in Ottawa, Ontario

32 months ago

Athena in Fairfield, California said: Hey VOA, I thought you might be a gentleman after I said something about girls. lol I am excited that you are signing with this agency, but how much is the fee, if any? Do they have a website that customers can book travel on and that the credit goes directly go to YOU. Sometimes the agencies steal your customers. Do they have good training? Do they pay overrides? Do they provide E & O insurance (Errors and Ommission)? Do they have a behind the scences "office" where you can look at and track all your sales? How many agents do they have? Is there a sales quota you have to make? Do they have a lead generating program? Most importantly are they affilated with NACTA, and other travel industry leaders. These are some of the questions I ask. My agency is free to join with no monthly fees. I think there might be a 20.00 dollar a month fee if you want a website.

Hi Athena, the total cost of signing off is about $10K but you can put down $2995 and pay the remainder as instalments. The agency has over 700 home-based agents working with them and they are affliated with NACTA, IATA etc.They have an online initial training plus a 5 day onsite training for new agents. There are not many reliable agencies in Canada unlike the U.S. 70% of the commissions goes to the agent, not sure yet of overides but i think they mentioned something like thst. It also includes E & O insurance coverage. You have access to your sales and commission and you can track both using your unique ID. They will also help process your own IATA number once you are qualified, so you can book your discounted airfares/hotel at agent rates and FAM trips directly yourself. How does your host-agency work? It seems you dont have to pay as much as mine requires but do you get all those benefits? Although I am not sure I can join from Canada???. How does yours compare with CRUISEPLANNER AND CRUISEONE - both in the U.S....they both charge as much as 10K

VOA in Ottawa, Ontario

32 months ago

Hi Athena, the total cost of signing off is about $10K but you can put down $2995 and pay the remainder as instalments. The agency has over 700 home-based agents working with them and they are affliated with NACTA, IATA etc.They have an online initial training plus a 5 day onsite training for new agents. There are not many reliable agencies in Canada unlike the U.S. 70% of the commissions goes to the agent, not sure yet of overides but i think they mentioned something like thst. It also includes E & O insurance coverage. You have access to your sales and commission and you can track both using your unique ID. They will also help process your own IATA number once you are qualified, so you can book your discounted airfares/hotel at agent rates and FAM trips directly yourself. How does your host-agency work? It seems you dont have to pay as much as mine requires but do you get all those benefits? Although I am not sure I can join from Canada???. How does yours compare with CRUISEPLANNER AND CRUISEONE - both in the U.S....they both charge as much as 10K. My proposed host agency is TPI.

32 months ago

Ok Athena, you can call me anything you'd like. Really great information, thank you. Makes sense about the travel insurance, and good call on being extra thorough.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

First of all Athena, How was The Help? Thinking of ordering it.
Second, did you get all of this incredible knowledge from your courses at Los Mendanos???

32 months ago

VOA, Are you speaking about purchasing a franchise? I hope so for that kind of money.

32 months ago

shannonhb in Los Osos, California said: First of all Athena, How was The Help? Thinking of ordering it.
Second, did you get all of this incredible knowledge from your courses at Los Mendanos???

The help was fabulous, tear-jerking, and funny and I love, love it! Yes ma'am, I got all of my travel info from a year of grueling, no-nonsense, work your azz off courses at Los Medanos. lol I attending a university now earning a BA degree in Leadership. Los Medanos's Travel course is just as hard (classes like Group travel) as my university level courses. The instructors are all good, with many years of working in the travel industry behind them, plus degrees. If you take all the courses, you WILL know your stuff. lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

VOA in Ottawa, Ontario said: Hi Athena, the total cost of signing off is about $10K but you can put down $2995 and pay the remainder as instalments. The agency has over 700 home-based agents working with them and they are affliated with NACTA, IATA etc.They have an online initial training plus a 5 day onsite training for new agents. There are not many reliable agencies in Canada unlike the U.S. 70% of the commissions goes to the agent, not sure yet of overides but i think they mentioned something like thst. It also includes E & O insurance coverage. You have access to your sales and commission and you can track both using your unique ID. They will also help process your own IATA number once you are qualified, so you can book your discounted airfares/hotel at agent rates and FAM trips directly yourself. How does your host-agency work? It seems you dont have to pay as much as mine requires but do you get all those benefits? Although I am not sure I can join from Canada???. How does yours compare with CRUISEPLANNER AND CRUISEONE - both in the U.S....they both charge as much as 10K. My proposed host agency is TPI.

VOA, ruuunnnn don't walk away from this agency. They are not offering anything better than anyone else! You can get everything you mentioned, PLUS a better commission split from another agency that might only charge you $200.00 dollars to join. In my case it is FREE with no montthly fees. My agency is a full service agency whereas the agencies you mentioned specialize in cruises. They can do everything that they do regarding booking cruises, plus they have many other travel products. My friend, I'd strongly advise you to look on the NACTA list for an agency that is less expensive. I can't speak for Canada, but as a whole the internet and economy has made it VERY hard for Travel Consultants. Again, read the other threads about travel and listen to what the working agents are saying. Proceed with caution...

32 months ago

VOA and Shann,

The best bet out here is to find a good agency (with a good reputation and low fees) and sell $100,000 worth of travel, and then try to get on with American Express. They have LEADS, LEADS, LEADS! You can sit by the phone and take calls and sell travel without having to bust your azz, and bank account trying to market your business. My plan (if I even decide to send back my paperwork) is to put togather some trips and advertise--spending as less money as possible--and see how it goes. I might use some Twitter and Face Book chat about the trips as well. If I go back into this business it is because I love to travel, and it is a fun business. I am not expecting to make a living, it takes years to build a thriving business in travel. Again, read the threads... I don't want to bust anyone's bubble, but I am the voice of reason (Athena) lol. One more thing, in California (again, don't know about Canada) you can go to jail if you don't deal with customers' money correctly, all payments should go directly through the travel agency. I remember taking a one-day travel course at Berkeley City College, and they said something about having a separate travel business bank account...Ask your agency about the laws and regulations regarding money, and don't go with an agency where the people are unavailable or non-supportive. I say go for what you know, but make sure you KNOW before you go. Good luck and make it happen!

Blessings and much love.

32 months ago

VOA,

Is this a franchise your buying into? If so do you get profit-sharing? Have you looked at their financial statements? If it is a franchise you should be able to see that information. Man, think twice about laying down that kinda cash, you might be better off buying a couple of Red boxes around Canada and going to collect your money every day. That is what I plan on doing when I get the money. You do have Red boxes in Canada don't you? One think I know for sure people are always going to watch movies, especially if they can't afford to go out to the theater.

You are more fortunate than we here in the States because your economy is stronger. Lucky you. lol

32 months ago

correction: "thing"

32 months ago

HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYBODY! WOOOO-HOOOO!

VOA in Ottawa, Ontario

32 months ago

Athena in Fairfield, California said: The help was fabulous, tear-jerking, and funny and I love, love it! Yes ma'am, I got all of my travel info from a year of grueling, no-nonsense, work your azz off courses at Los Medanos. lol I attending a university now earning a BA degree in Leadership. Los Medanos's Travel course is just as hard (classes like Group travel) as my university level courses. The instructors are all good, with many years of working in the travel industry behind them, plus degrees. If you take all the courses, you WILL know your stuff. lol

No wonder, Athena, you have paid your dues in the industry - you have invested a lot in acquiring knowledge. Knowledge is power. Do you know if Los Medanos College have few days to a week course?

32 months ago

VOA and Shann, check out the "Host Agency" thread on Indeed. Go to pages 3 and 4, and read the recent comments about the travel business and agencies. Good current information there, it will help you make a solid wise decision.

VOA in Ottawa, Ontario

32 months ago

Athena in Fairfield, California said: The help was fabulous, tear-jerking, and funny and I love, love it! Yes ma'am, I got all of my travel info from a year of grueling, no-nonsense, work your azz off courses at Los Medanos. lol I attending a university now earning a BA degree in Leadership. Los Medanos's Travel course is just as hard (classes like Group travel) as my university level courses. The instructors are all good, with many years of working in the travel industry behind them, plus degrees. If you take all the courses, you WILL know your stuff. lol

No wonder, Athena, you have paid your dues in the industry - you have invested a lot in acquiring knowledge. Knowledge is power. Do you know if Los Medanos College have few days to a week course?

VOA in Ottawa, Ontario

32 months ago

Athena in Fairfield, California said: HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYBODY! WOOOO-HOOOO!

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU TOO ATHENA, AND SHANNONN AND OTHERS...TO COME

VOA in Ottawa, Ontario

32 months ago

Athena in Fairfield, California said: VOA, ruuunnnn don't walk away from this agency. They are not offering anything better than anyone else! You can get everything you mentioned, PLUS a better commission split from another agency that might only charge you $200.00 dollars to join. In my case it is FREE with no montthly fees. My agency is a full service agency whereas the agencies you mentioned specialize in cruises. They can do everything that they do regarding booking cruises, plus they have many other travel products. My friend, I'd strongly advise you to look on the NACTA list for an agency that is less expensive. I can't speak for Canada, but as a whole the internet and economy has made it VERY hard for Travel Consultants. Again, read the other threads about travel and listen to what the working agents are saying. Proceed with caution...

As of last night, after spending several hours of the day searching and researching, I decided NOT to proceed with my proposed enrolment with this host agency bcos of the high fees. It does not worth like you said, Athena. Do you know anything about expedia cruishshipcenters?

32 months ago

VOA in Ottawa, Ontario said: HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU TOO ATHENA, AND SHANNONN AND OTHERS...TO COME

Hey VOA,

All the courses are online, they do have some short term courses online. I am currently trying to find good lead generating companies. Hmmmmm....I think that might be a good investment. Does anybody know of some good lead generating companies?

VOA in Ottawa, Ontario

32 months ago

Athena in Fairfield, California said: VOA,

Is this a franchise your buying into? If so do you get profit-sharing? Have you looked at their financial statements? If it is a franchise you should be able to see that information. Man, think twice about laying down that kinda cash, you might be better off buying a couple of Red boxes around Canada and going to collect your money every day. That is what I plan on doing when I get the money. You do have Red boxes in Canada don't you? One think I know for sure people are always going to watch movies, especially if they can't afford to go out to the theater.

You are more fortunate than we here in the States because your economy is stronger. Lucky you. lol

You are right, Athena. It is not franchise and yet, the exorbitant fees. I dont know much about red boxes but they are available in canada. Will find out more about them.

32 months ago

VOA in Ottawa, Ontario said: As of last night, after spending several hours of the day searching and researching, I decided NOT to proceed with my proposed enrolment with this host agency bcos of the high fees. It does not worth like you said, Athena. Do you know anything about expedia cruishshipcenters?

OMG, I am so proud of you! Good thinking and very wise decision. They talk about it on that thread I told you about. Check it out and get back to me on what you think about what they are saying. Go to the last pages to get the most current conversations.

32 months ago

VOA in Ottawa, Ontario said: You are right, Athena. It is not franchise and yet, the exorbitant fees. I dont know much about red boxes but they are available in canada. Will find out more about them.

TPI is making their money by charging inflated fees to agents! Shame on them!

32 months ago

Athena in Fairfield, California said: TPI is making their money by charging inflated fees to agents! Shame on them!

Knowledge is power, and I am grateful for the opportunity to have a running conversation with everyone on this forum.

VOA,

I have thought about moving to Canada, I am about to finish my Certifed Medical Coding courses in the next 8 months. Do they have many jobs for that field in Toronto? Do you like living in Canada? What is it like?

32 months ago

VOA in Ottawa, Ontario said: You are right, Athena. It is not franchise and yet, the exorbitant fees. I dont know much about red boxes but they are available in canada. Will find out more about them.

The people on the host forum discuss franchises, the reports are NOT GOOD!

32 months ago

VOA,

I found a travel agency in Canada called Fresh Tracks Canada. If you get a good person on the phone they can give you some guidance. Also, find out the accrediting agencies for travel out there. You can check out their websites for listings of agencies. I don't want to see you lose your money on scammers (and there are a lot out there in the travel industry). I will keep looking for things for you.

32 months ago

Athena in Fairfield, California said: VOA,

I found a travel agency in Canada called Fresh Tracks Canada. If you get a good person on the phone they can give you some guidance. Also, find out the accrediting agencies for travel out there. You can check out their websites for listings of agencies. I don't want to see you lose your money on scammers (and there are a lot out there in the travel industry). I will keep looking for things for you.

I also just found Brewster Travel Canada. I love their website, it is great. I don't see any travel agency affiliations. I guess it is different out there, because they seem to be a stellar company--from the website's info.

Happy hunting, good luck you WILL find something great.

32 months ago

Athena in Fairfield, California said: I also just found Brewster Travel Canada. I love their website, it is great. I don't see any travel agency affiliations. I guess it is different out there, because they seem to be a stellar company--from the website's info.

Happy hunting, good luck you WILL find something great.

Hey, I just found ARTA Canada it is a trade association for travel agents. THAT is where you should start. They have good information, and can answer ALL of your questions. I think they had some agency listings too.

Well, VOA, my job is done here. lol. Get back to me on my questions about your great country.

VOA in Ottawa, Ontario

32 months ago

Athena in Fairfield, California said: Knowledge is power, and I am grateful for the opportunity to have a running conversation with everyone on this forum.

VOA,

I have thought about moving to Canada, I am about to finish my Certifed Medical Coding courses in the next 8 months. Do they have many jobs for that field in Toronto? Do you like living in Canada? What is it like?

Hi Athena,
Canada is a good but quiet country to live in. I like the stability (both economic and political) as well as other opportunities here. However, the business environment here seems to be a bit more restrictive (stringent rules must be followed), compared to the U.S. We seem to pay more taxes here, but we have better access to healthcare, I think). Like other medical professions, it is never a problem getting jobs in your field. I have a biomedical background at masters level,and work for the federal government. My wife and I are looking for a home-based business that could provide additional income with opportunities for leisure (we love traveling). I am very serious about this travel agency business and I am investing as much time as I have into it...with the goal of acquiring my own IATA, etc. Perhaps register with AmericanExpress, someday.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

VOA in Ottawa, Ontario

32 months ago

Athena in Fairfield, California said: Hey, I just found ARTA Canada it is a trade association for travel agents. THAT is where you should start. They have good information, and can answer ALL of your questions. I think they had some agency listings too.

Well, VOA, my job is done here. lol. Get back to me on my questions about your great country.

Thanks Athena, I will check them out!GOOD INFORMATION

VOA in Ottawa, Ontario

32 months ago

Athena in Fairfield, California said: Hey VOA,

All the courses are online, they do have some short term courses online. I am currently trying to find good lead generating companies. Hmmmmm....I think that might be a good investment. Does anybody know of some good lead generating companies?

I think from what I gathered elswhere and what you said elsewhere, AmericanExpress is the most reputable company providing leads. Someone in another post mentioned another agency but he was not even sure himself.

32 months ago

VOA in Ottawa, Ontario said: Hi Athena,
Canada is a good but quiet country to live in. I like the stability (both economic and political) as well as other opportunities here. However, the business environment here seems to be a bit more restrictive (stringent rules must be followed), compared to the U.S. We seem to pay more taxes here, but we have better access to healthcare, I think). Like other medical professions, it is never a problem getting jobs in your field. I have a biomedical background at masters level,and work for the federal government. My wife and I are looking for a home-based business that could provide additional income with opportunities for leisure (we love traveling). I am very serious about this travel agency business and I am investing as much time as I have into it...with the goal of acquiring my own IATA, etc. Perhaps register with AmericanExpress, someday.

Thanks for that info, once you find the right host agency you will do fine. I loved my at home travel business during the short time I had the business. Good luck, ttyl.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

VOA in Ottawa, Ontario

32 months ago

Athena in Fairfield, California said: OMG, I am so proud of you! Good thinking and very wise decision. They talk about it on that thread I told you about. Check it out and get back to me on what you think about what they are saying. Go to the last pages to get the most current conversations.

Oh yes, that is why one should not be in a haste to sign up with any host agency. Thorough research must be done. If one rushes in, one is never able to rush out...unless you are ready to lose all the so-called investment.

32 months ago

VOA in Ottawa, Ontario said: I think from what I gathered elswhere and what you said elsewhere, AmericanExpress is the most reputable company providing leads. Someone in another post mentioned another agency but he was not even sure himself.

American Express is IT! I have tried to get on with them for YEARS. They won't let me work with them because I have not sold enough travel, (sigh). I am so busy with school, family, etc. That I don't know if I have the energy to make that $100,000 sales quota. I might wait until I have more time. The next best thing is to find a lead generating company that offers real-time, viable leads.
I was going to sign on with a company that said they had leads, when I inquired further they said they just cancelled the leads program...hmmmmmmm didn't sound right too me. Some of the agencies have dead-end leads...sigh

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

32 months ago

VOA in Ottawa, Ontario said: Thanks Athena, I will check them out!GOOD INFORMATION

No problemo, I got your back, VOA. lol

32 months ago

VOA,

I am checking out the ARTA Canada website. It appears you could start your agency, and sign on with them for a nominal yearly fee. It looks like you can book your travel through them when you are a member. That is what it looks like, anyway. That might be a good idea, and in California you can get good tax write-offs for at-home businesses. Keep me posted

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.