Travel Agent for Non-Profit Organization

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (2)

glhigdon in Tuscaloosa, Alabama

25 months ago

I'm currently working for an international non-profit organization. We're just getting started and figuring some things out. Recently the idea has been proposed that one of us should get a travel agent certification so that we can get discounts on our travel as we work. How does one get a certification and does it seem feasible to save us money if I became a registered travel agent?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Nimeje97@gmail.com in Newark, New Jersey

25 months ago

I recommend getting it from "the horse's mouth." To do that, visit the Airline Reporting Corp. site (ARC) at www.arccorp.com/join/arc-accredited-travel-agency.jsp. This application will allow you full access to everything that the industry offers as a fully accredited travel agency/agent ($20k min. bond/letter of credit or cash & numerous other requirements will apply). The alternative is to become a VTC (Verified Travel Consultant), where you will be recognized, will have limited access to what ARC offers (therefore less requirements) but you will not be able to issue airline, train or bus tickets (no ticketing privileges). I believe that this is the venue used by what is now commonly known as "Home Based Agents" (I think). The website will clarify that and any other questions you may have.

SECOND OPTION: Quickest/most economic way is for you to become an outside sales representative through association with an already established ARC fully accredited agency (recommended for non-profit organizations where funds are limited). Normally, an agreement is all that is required where a percentage of the commission will revert to you upon receipt from vendors (full payment often required) but you can sell ANYTHING in the industry.
My agency offers that based on: ARC rules us all, payments through credit card in accordance with our requirements, vendor requirements are reservations' primary "rulers", you assume liability for credit memos/disputes related to your sales, you're responsible for cancellations due to missed deadlines, & predetermine the level of your involvement - commission is generally 10% or higher and percentage share is 40/60 (greatest to whoever does most of the work payable upon receipt PLUS you're eligible to get your own IATA or IATAN card based on sales, which gives you personal discounts. We are reputable, establish in the early 40s as a fully accredited agency, so Email me if want to discuss further

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.