How do I become a travel agent

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 96)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Brad in Stillwater, Oklahoma

80 months ago

Kody, I'm in the same situation. I'm 24 and in college but will graduate in May. I want to do something in the travel industry and I think a travel agent is the way to go! We should start something together !!! hehehehe. Found anything else out? I'm lost too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (29) / No (16) Reply - Report abuse

Sin in Long Beach, California

79 months ago

whats the average salary for those who work with an agancy? and those who work for themselves?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (36) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Susan

79 months ago

Okay everyone. here's the scoop. I'm glad that all of you are WORKING! I have done the research.
YTB, Traverse and GT Trends are all great companies to work for.
I will give you a short list of pro's and con's
They all charge some kind of fee to start(varies) and a monthy fee(which in some cases is waivable).

They all give you a website to "call your own"(You cannot make modifications to them)

They all produce an income for you.

They all offer training and support.

YTB & Traverse- You really don't need a downline to make money.
GT Trends requires a downline or they will "suspend" your account.
Commission structure is confusing with all of them. If you really research thoughly you'll find that you receive a percentage of the percentage that THEY recieve from their "parent company"
They all have a "parent company"
Check out Travelocity and I beleive Experian offers this too. Click on the affiliate link. You will have a few choices.
Affiliate or PARTNER. Keyword here partner. This is what I refer to as "the parent company" If you are web saavy and can build a website like this one
www.travel-vacationpackages.com (it's not quite done yet and is actually a splash page)
You yourself can partner with a parent company for FREE and cut out "the middle men" and sign up fee's.Your monthly web hosting is any where from $9USD and up depending on who your host is. Your still your own agency. You can't adjust the prices, however you can run specials like a % off hotels. They handle all the billing, customer service and so on just like all the above mentioned companies do for you
Last but not least let's talk about RETAIL PRICING
Travel is a big industry but people will shop around for the best deals especially when they can do it from the convieniece of their homes i.e. the internet.
YTB's retail cannot be beat
All claim to get your travel at good prices. Beware you DO NOT RECIEVE A DISCOUNT right away, unless you have your cards
Susan
http:/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

CLETUS WAGBARA in Turks and Caicos Islands

78 months ago

I WANT TO BECOME AN AGENT OF UPS TURKS & CAICOS ISLANDS

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Mary in Long Beach, California

78 months ago

TraVerus Travel
Is this a good company to start MLM. I was interested in YTB. I am finding out that YTB company has many problems from the blogs. If anyone can give me any information Traversus would be appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Cliff in Joplin, Missouri

75 months ago

Poor Kody, sorry these people are trying to recruit you. You are probably fed up with all the selling going on. Just go to a travel agency and set up an appointment with the owner or manager and express INTEREST in potentially becoming an agent. DONT ASK FOR A JOB!!! Find out what it takes, express your dedication, and tell that person that you would like their permission to ask them more questions in the future. They will most likely be so excited to have a pupil for them to mold in the industry (people like to teach others), and most likely offer you a part time position. If that dosnt work at the first agency, go to others with the same intentions. Dont fall for these jokers with "STAY AT HOME" opportunities. I hope this helps.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (66) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Bridgette Harris in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

75 months ago

Cliff in Joplin, Missouri said: Poor Kody, sorry these people are trying to recruit you. You are probably fed up with all the selling going on. Just go to a travel agency and set up an appointment with the owner or manager and express INTEREST in potentially becoming an agent. DONT ASK FOR A JOB!!! Find out what it takes, express your dedication, and tell that person that you would like their permission to ask them more questions in the future. They will most likely be so excited to have a pupil for them to mold in the industry (people like to teach others), and most likely offer you a part time position. If that dosnt work at the first agency, go to others with the same intentions. Dont fall for these jokers with "STAY AT HOME" opportunities. I hope this helps.

Cliff,

I will have to check you on your comment. Home based businesses have afforded many people opportunities they would never ever get working for someone else. You might want to do a lil research yourself before you put your foot in your mouth. I suggest you research the average person who has built an empire simply working from home.

Bridgette

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (25) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Last time I checked the initial question wasn't about starting a home travel business. If you have been successful with a home business, thats great, but that wasn't his question. No doubt a home travel business could be successful. And i tried to find a legit person who has built their own empire and NOT to my surprise I couldn't find anyone who could PROVE it. Thanks for your comment.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Hey,

Google "Tim Miller"
Google "David Manning"
Google "Donald Trump"
Google "Irvin Magic Johnson"

they all have had huge success with home based travel businesses

Take care,
Bridg

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

COOL...Could you get me their phone numbers so I could talk to them. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

maybe u should start your own business as a comedian, at least then you dont have to worry about someone actually taking you or the comments you make seriously. The only reason I inquired about your interest is I know some really cool informative websites that could provide you with loads on information on several types of home based businesses.

As for Kody, his request was info on becoming a travel agent. There is more than enough response given to Kody for him to make an educated decision without your curt comments.

Take Care,

Good luck with your endeavors

Bridg

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

There is now thanks to me. Peace.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

Now cliff, do you really really believe that he has been waiting all this time for your comment? Be honest quite a few intelligent people visit this site.

Best Regards,

Bridgette

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

75 months ago

You're right, got me, you win.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

bowling champion in Bakersfield, California

75 months ago

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

BNTG in Arlington, Virginia

73 months ago

If you are going to try and go Virtuoso, know that you must be be extremely serious about the sell of travel do discerning clients...Virtuoso has a very intense program but is most certainly an affliation that you want...

to give you an idea...most Virtuoso agencies want you producing anywhere from $800,000 and up yearly in gross sales...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

scott in Peoria, Illinois

73 months ago

I have been in the airline and travel business for 21 years and its a tough business. To be a travel agent you probably have to go to a travel agent school to learn one of the main computer systems.....sabre,apollo or worldspan...you either need to know someone or go to school

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

geo treo in st louis, Missouri

71 months ago

Bob J in Las Vegas, Nevada said: Hey everyone...... I will switch anyone for FREE to World Ventures. If you are not going anywhere but want to keep your travel status this is the place for you. I will place you on a power leg and then you will get the benifit of everyones efforts. I spent 18 months in YTB and switched 2 months ago to WV. Already I have 32 people in my downline. And I only pay $39.94 a month. I was paying $49 at YTB. Check out www.clearviewtrips.biz click on #1 Good Luck to all.....Bob

Hey Bob,

I have a long time friend that is wanting me to take a hard look at World Ventures Biz. I see that you posted this some 50 days ago. How is this gig? Be analytical please. Is this a single source income opportunity from the start-up? A great secondary income with cheap travel as the big benefit? How about prospect response? Company support? Let me know your thoughts.

Geotreo

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jessica in Westmont, Illinois

70 months ago

This is ridiculous. The original poster stated he didn't want a home-based business. He wants to start in an agency, not a MLM, not internet-based.

And so do I.
I also want to focus on ecotourism, as my degree will be in cultural studies and environmental studies.

To the original poster --- there are some travel certification programs out there, mainly at community colleges. I imagine it'd be pretty easy to do that while doing your main degree. The agents I've talked to say it's really good to know a second major language, or language of where you want to focus. Also, to know cultures, geography, etc and hopefully to have traveled yourself. If you want to be the type of travel agent who can get people hooked up to really local places, it's good to know the language or the culture (for example, if someone wants to go to Japan, you can get them set up with a really nice guest house instead of the Holiday Inn.) I know that's what I'd like to do. I'd suggesting checking out community colleges, talking to agents via email or anyway you can, and searching for travel schools (there are some which are independent of CCs.) There's also online training programs which are easily found via Google.
Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Panther_S in Chicago, Illinois

70 months ago

That person that wanted to start at a travel agency must not be aware that brick and mortar agencies are being replaced by online travel.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Panther_S in Chicago, Illinois

70 months ago

Boog. in Kansas City, Missouri said: In the past Travel Agent were the only one were people were able to go to find good deals or stuff about the location they are going to. And if you dd not want to Book your travel with Travel Provider Directly tthen you would go to Travel Agent. We live in the world of technology and you do not realy have to go to Travel Agents. You Can do it yourself
on internet and save ton of money, on Airfare, Hotels, Cruises and find more info about places you travel to than most TA would have knowladge about. That is why it is better to be Referring Travel Agent, you do not sit at your desk all the time, but you go out and find customers. More Flexebility, And If you seel travel for your vendors, you are elligable for the same discount benefits as regular RTA.
Now every one that is trying to recrute you on this forum are giving you recruting website. Well I want to do something different, please got to my travel website: www.GlobusAdventures.com look around see the great things that I offer to my clients, if you like it and thing you would like something like that for yourself send me an e-mail to:
vlad_ua1@yahoo.com or call me.

Actually you need to be a certified travel agent in order to directly contact and book with most suppliers or vendors. Certified travel agents with my company can book directly with vendors as well as recruit, so we're not sitting behind a desk all day unless we choose to.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

mckde in Alexandria, Virginia

69 months ago

I must comment on this.... I have been in the industry for 15 plus years. I have had a good career. I have traveled over seas many times to Africa, Asia, Caribbean and Europe. I have found my niche! My advice is that it is good to work for a reputable agency or airline. I started with Amtrak and then worked with the airlines, travel agency and then Operations and now I am a business owner.

PLEASE be careful! Do not be pulled into these scams like TRAVERSE and YTB. They are not travel agencies. They are company's that sell memberships basically to people with a promise of discounts and free travel. If you ask them what is a fare basis or what airline code or what is a pnr, they couldn't tell you to save their lives. They don't know. All you have worked for in school is being cheapened by these scammers. They are taking your jobs! Now let me tell you about their back office. In the back office, there are people that work for a small amount and get this...they really are travel consultants who have lost their jobs in the industry due to DL, AA, US's dropping their commissions in the early 2000's but they really liked their jobs or they dont know another trade and they will work like a DOG while these YTB types are making money.... $400.00 a sales from an un suspecting person and later the person finds out that in order to get the discounts they will have to travel a certain date or to certain places. If you work with them you will not learn a thing and you will leave the business quicker! Listen I have been told that they dont need TA's anymore! Remember you have invested in a profession because you have a passion for it. Yes you want to travel but you also want to help people realize their dreams by sending them to far away places. Working out the simplest to the most difficult itinerary or creating that round the world trip. Don't sell yourself short. You are a travel professional. They are not. If you need ideas, email me at mckde@hotmail.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (30) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

R P in Atlanta, Georgia

69 months ago

Hate to burst your bubble Mckde, but Traverus and YTB are in 2 different leagues.

What you mentioned above, has Traverus NO where on it.

YTB maybe.

Question...have you even looked at any information or spoke with someone about Traverus, or are you just throwing them in your area of thought because of other companies you speak of?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Certified Travel Agent in Chicago, Illinois

69 months ago

R P in Atlanta, Georgia said: Hate to burst your bubble Mckde, but Traverus and YTB are in 2 different leagues.

What you mentioned above, has Traverus NO where on it.

YTB maybe.

Question...have you even looked at any information or spoke with someone about Traverus, or are you just throwing them in your area of thought because of other companies you speak of?

If we were doing any of the things mentioned above, we would not be in business. The person who made those comments doesn't have the slightest idea what they're talking about and should try to get some knowledge and understanding. Traverus has Travel Consultants as well as Certified Travel Agents, that a very capable of booking very nice trips and cruises and more for thier clients. THANK YOU

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

kathy

60 months ago

I need a little assistance also, I used to be a reservations agent with Air Florida based in Miami at the time, loved the freedom of all the free flights I got to take..then I worked for some luxury resorts in membership and also a hotel in NYC. Now after not working for a long time and raising kids, I am ready to get back into the travel or hospitality business. I would like to have the perks because I love to travel. Can anyone steer me in the right direction and away from any scams that are out there! Thank you, Kathy

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

kathy

60 months ago

hi everyone, just a few questions, I used to be an agent for Air Florida based in Miami, then went on and worked for various hotels, in membership and also as an administrative assistant.
what are the main quaulities a successful travel agent has? Do you have to be a true sales person with a sales personality??

I also miss the travel perks I had while working in the travel business.

angela spickler in Cathedral City, California

60 months ago

Panther_S in Chicago, Illinois said: Actually you need to be a certified travel agent in order to directly contact and book with most suppliers or vendors. Certified travel agents with my company can book directly with vendors as well as recruit, so we're not sitting behind a desk all day unless we choose to.

Having been in the travel industry for over 20 years; first as an agency owner, then working corporate travel for American Express and then leisure for AAA. You do NOT need to be a certified travel agent to book with any vendors. An extra cost that you do not need to incur. Once suggestion you might look into is www.americasvacationcenter.com. There is a fee with most host agencies, however this does not play into MLM. It is not based on how many recruits you can get, it's based on how well you manage your own business and the affiliation you have with your host agency. If you are good at promoting yourself, have the drive and determination to do well, then you will! Don't spend your time recruiting people to do the work for you. Owning a brick and mortar agency for over 10 years was HARD back in the 90's. In today's world online is what people want and having a good host agency and a good reputation is what will make you successful. I am not affiliated with AVC nor am I currently in the travel industry. I just wanted some misconceptions to come to light. I have considered AVC because of their association with American Express and only for that reason. Good luck to all who pursue the dreams of a travel agent, just be aware that the perks that were there 10 years ago, most no longer exist. Though there are still some great bargains! Happy traveling!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Completely Lost in Senatobia, Mississippi

56 months ago

I agree with mckde whole-heartedly. I love everything about travel but was thrown a horrible curve ball called Traverus. I DO speak from experience! A "friend" of my fiance's told me that she was trained and working as a certified travel agent and that I should try it out. I normally research every thing but I had wanted to be a travel agent for years and let it go for so long that I jumped at the chance. BAD IDEA! I was told by a few agents that for what the CTA certificate was worth, I might as well use it as scrap paper. I listened to 8, 3-15 minute audio clips, took a test and got a link with a certificate that I could print out. From that point on, I was pretty much left to fend for myself. They have a manual that gives you airline codes, airlines, cruiselines, etc., what you will need for your home office, etc. Their message is pretty much about how many people you can recruit. I have never been so disappointed. I wanted this but it is my own fault because I didn't research it. I can see why David Manning is so wealthy. All of these people spending $400 to be a "certified travel agent" makes for a lot of money. It is sad, really. People are so hard up these days due to the economy and unemployment and MLM companies like Traverus prey on them. I am not trying to be insulting, just telling my experience with them and my opinions. Try to find an honest travel agency or hosting company before you ever think about MLM's. I am still looking for a way to become a REAL travel agent without paying out the nose. Okay, I have let it out and will go back to my quiet corner.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jas rmrz in los angeles, California

56 months ago

Jas rmrz in los angeles, California said: hi

Are u serous?

My friend approach me to enroll but i been thinking about it. Maybe the company is getting better, don't you think? how can i look the company's back ground? Do you any one one that i can talk to about it?

J.J

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Experienced Agent in Georgia

56 months ago

"Your Promised Land," a 'faith based" MLM base selling "Divine Water" , 5Linx, 7 Figure School of Marketing, ACN, Agel, AIM, AlltheCashYouWant.com, Ambit Energy, Amway-Quixtar, Biometics International, Bioreadyrice.com, Biz Calling Card, Black Business Builders, Black Shopping Channel, BlastOff, Britt World Wide Group, Business in Motion (in Canada), Carbon Copy Marketing, Daily Income Maker, Ecoquest, Efusjon, Elite Activity (tu prosperiedad hoy), Enlyten, Escape International, Forever Living, Fortune High Tech Marketing, Freesitesignup.com, Gifting Schemes, Global Resorts Network (grn), Gold Mine international, Gotomeeting.com, GreenIrene, GuardIt Technologies, Healthy Chocolate, Herbalife, ICF WORLD HOMES, Ideal Health (part of the Trump Network), Ignite, Ijango, Instant Massive Cash Flow, Isagenix, Juice Plus, Liberty League, Local Ad Link, LTD (div. of Amway), Mannatech, MaxGL, Maximum Success, Melaleuca, Millionaire Club, My Great Opportunity, Monavie, National Chamber of Commerce, Nexagen, Nikken, Nuskin, Online Business Systems, Organo Gold, P 2 P" or "Carbon Credits, Pre-Paid Legal, Primerica, Process at Home, Quattro University, Quest International, Questnet, Quixtar, ReGenesis Marketing Group, Send Out Cards , Shop To Earn, Syntek Gas Additive, Tahitian Noni, Team, Team National, The Magicofmakingup.com, Travel Ventures International or TVI, Traverus, Trump Network, UFirst Financial or MMA, United Pro Media, Usana, Vemma/Verve Corp., Wealthy Affiliate University, World Financial Group (WFG), World Ventures (Travel Agency), www.allxclub.com, Xango, Xocai Chocolate, Yourhealth.com, YTB, ZAMU, Zoegetics or Zoe life, Zones, ZRII.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Experienced Agent in Georgia

56 months ago

Above are companies listed on falseprofits.com:
In the last few months alone, here are just some of the schemes that consumers asked about, and some of the schemes generating numerous inquiries: they are listed above.
On pyramidsschemealert.org:
“MLM in the travel business in particular preys upon those that can least afford to lose money. They promise riches, free travel, etc. and all then end up doing is ruining the reputation of honest Travel Agents. Among those that need to be stopped are YTB, World Ventures, Traverus, Coastal Vacations, and I'm sure many others. These pyramid schemes do nothing but make the people at the top rich and those at the bottom lose their whole “investment.”
More later.......

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

New Agent in Enfield, Connecticut

56 months ago

IT all boils down to the individuals effort, not the effort of others.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

New Agent in Enfield, Connecticut

56 months ago

Completely Lost in Senatobia, Mississippi said: I agree with mckde whole-heartedly. I love everything about travel but was thrown a horrible curve ball called Traverus. I DO speak from experience! A "friend" of my fiance's told me that she was trained and working as a certified travel agent and that I should try it out. I normally research every thing but I had wanted to be a travel agent for years and let it go for so long that I jumped at the chance. BAD IDEA! I was told by a few agents that for what the CTA certificate was worth, I might as well use it as scrap paper. I listened to 8, 3-15 minute audio clips, took a test and got a link with a certificate that I could print out. From that point on, I was pretty much left to fend for myself. They have a manual that gives you airline codes, airlines, cruiselines, etc., what you will need for your home office, etc. Their message is pretty much about how many people you can recruit. I have never been so disappointed. I wanted this but it is my own fault because I didn't research it. I can see why David Manning is so wealthy. All of these people spending $400 to be a "certified travel agent" makes for a lot of money. It is sad, really. People are so hard up these days due to the economy and unemployment and MLM companies like Traverus prey on them. I am not trying to be insulting, just telling my experience with them and my opinions. Try to find an honest travel agency or hosting company before you ever think about MLM's. I am still looking for a way to become a REAL travel agent without paying out the nose. Okay, I have let it out and will go back to my quiet corner.

Question: How many training calls did you attend?
Did you take the time after taking the test to go and research different vendors and see how to be more effective as a travel agent?

Did you reach out to any other agent in traverus to say you need help?

I'm not trying to pick a fight. I am hoping to help you with some extra info.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jas rmrz in los angeles, California

56 months ago

New Agent in Enfield, Connecticut said: Question: How many training calls did you attend?
Did you take the time after taking the test to go and research different vendors and see how to be more effective as a travel agent?

Did you reach out to any other agent in traverus to say you need help?

I'm not trying to pick a fight. I am hoping to help you with some extra info.

bpdem in Burke, Virginia

56 months ago

Simply .. look at the concept and think about why you are getting in to this business. If you are trying to get rich quick, not help others, not interested in a FULL career, not interested in knowing the back office i.e. how we do what we do...join Traverus and YTB
organization because this is what they are about. They give you good visual,nice presentations but none of them are true travel consultants.Meaning the ones that are coming AT yo for your money. I have been approach by many. You can tell true travel consultants. I agree with mckde.. Planning a trip? My money is on mckde.

1ncentives in Southport, United Kingdom

55 months ago

Where you are in the circle makes NO difference!! Even companies,
organisations who have been #1..Have fallen and crumbled, so its No
comfort to learn that you are this or that in Travel weekly!!Who
are they, in the over-all scheme of things..#27 in someone else's
listing..LOL

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

former travel agent in Marietta, Georgia

54 months ago

i operated my own completely independent agency from home for 6 years until my daughter came along and commanded all of my attention. Now that my children are in school full time, i am considering re-entering the travel industry. I am not certain just which direction I will take at this point, but know it is a lot of work that i no longer have the desire nor the time to do all by myself.

Kody, I suggest that you research IATAN, TRUE, and CLIA to get a good idea of what being an authentic travel agent is really about. You may also consider reputable host agencies like AVC or CruiseSpecialists. However, If you intend to recruit, and maintain your own customer database you may want to steer clear of these outfits and go it alone.

Best Wishes

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Angela in Fort Mill, South Carolina

49 months ago

Kody in Las Cruces, New Mexico said: I am a freshman in college, and have been thinking about becoming a travel agent. I basically have no idea how to get my foot in the door, though. I know a college degree isn't required, but how helpful is it? And if so, are any particular majors more preferred over others?

I'm just not finding a lot of good info about the career on the web, so any info would be very helpful.

I was actively involved with GT Trends at one time; I still use my Travel Center. I have a wonderful opportunity to share with you. As a result in recent changes in the law, 280 million American cell phone users are now required, by law, to buy hands free technology if they want to continue to use their cell phone in their cars. So in other words, Kody, this is a brand new market. My question to you is this, If I can honestly show you how to get in front of this new market and make some serious money, would you invest 7 minutes to learn how? www.nohands.me

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

JET-nyc in Manhattan

49 months ago

It seems as if internet bookings has taken over trvl angencies, yea or ney.

Angela in Fort Mill, South Carolina

48 months ago

I'm already a Travel Agent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

2-blackcats in Olympia, Washington

46 months ago

I'm looking forward some ideas on becoming a good Travel Agent.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

shannon slattery in Port Orchard, Washington

45 months ago

Angela in Fort Mill, South Carolina said: I'm already a Travel Agent.

Can you tell me what you think of Travel Planners International? I am new to the travel business, I am looking for a host agency.

Shannon

45 months ago

shannon slattery in Port Orchard, Washington said: Can you tell me what you think of Travel Planners International? I am new to the travel business, I am looking for a host agency.

Shannon

Hi Shannon...the agency I go through is KHM Travel...they give you a website and will help you through any thing you need help with.

45 months ago

I have never heard of the Travel Planners International..Im very new to the travel business to..when I was looking on line thats when I came across KHM Travel..I pay $39.00 a month..but since then they have up the price per month..they give you homework and some test to take before you start..then if you have any questions they are there to help you out...you can also look them up on facebook....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Giley in Manchester, United Kingdom

44 months ago

Giley in Manchester, United Kingdom said: Is this site any good to anyone?
<a href="http://05c0bdrgoq96ez1aw4la0lwfwi.hop.clickbank.net/" target="_top">Click Here!</a>
I would be very interested in anyone who has used it.
Thanks

Sorry that should just be
http://05c0bdrgoq96ez1aw4la0lwfwi.hop.clickbank.net/
just copy and paste into the address bar.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

The Dude in San Antonio, Texas

43 months ago

I was an agent for 12 years at American Express...Travel Agent is a dying field, its all going online...the real jobs that are left treat you like dirt, and beisdes, youll never make decent money doing it and all of the travel perks are gone. Dont ruin your life...its a black hole...seek another career altogether. Its a low wage stressful job and I'm glad I was in a position to tell them to finally shove it....And all of those "online" and "work for home" agencies are a rip off.

Its a dying field. Stay away. Be afraid. Be very afraid. You have been warned.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

shannon slattery in Lakewood, Washington

43 months ago

There is opportunity in every field if you are creative and have a positive outlook. I have been in the business world for 20+ years and have always been successful. The travel business, like all business is alway changing and that is a good thing. I say "Go for it" if you have a passion and good ideas!

Shannon

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

The Dude in San Antonio, Texas

43 months ago

No Shannon, There is NOT opportunity in every field if you "have a positive outlook". Just ask the companies who make buggy whips and carriage wheels (oh wait, there ARENT any of those anymore). You have provided no credentials whatsoever to back up your sunny claims of "just do it". Just do what? Go into a dying field? Give me a break.

If youre thinking of becoming a travel agent in this day and age, you may as well also consider a career in the buggy whip or carriage wheel industry also!!!!

There is no opportunity. There are few real jobs left. The companies that are left treat employees like absolute dirt. The wages are low. There is NO, I repeat NO opportunity for advancement whatsoever, EVER. So youll be stuck there as your employer treats you as if they are doing you a favor as you watch the jobs fade one by one onto the online tool....And again, the FEW travel perks that are left are HARDLY worth the agony...You can get a better vacation deal on Priceline or Orbitz or whatever....so dont go talking about things you obviously know nothing about.

The longer a person spends in a dying field like that of "Travel Agent" they could be using that time more wisely to obtain skills which would better benefit them in the REAL world, in their lives and in their FUTURES.

DO NOT BECOME A TRAVEL AGENT. Your time and effort would be better spent elsewhere.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

acscat in Cathedral City, California

43 months ago

Jennifer in Phoenix, Arizona said: You know, I really must disagree, I work from home as an online travel agent, part time and made 40K last year, part time.

Do you work for Amex?

Robert in Shizuoka, Japan

40 months ago

I have a group of English students (mostly older people). At the end of the year, we plan to take a trip together to the US and Canada, where they will use their English. I will be going with them. If this group tour is successful, I plan to do many more. Since I am the tour organizer, I would like to know work out a split with a travel agent. I have been looking on the web, and so far, it seems that Japanese travel agencies aren't big on affiliate agents. Does anyone have anything insight into this?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.