Alabama schools

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 57)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Stephanie in Dothan, Alabama

73 months ago

Hi everyone. I am looking for some help from other professionals in this field. I am considering attending Virginia College in Birmingham, AL and joining their Diagnostic Medical Sonography program. I would be getting my Associates degree from there and then hopefully finding a job immediately after completing. Is an associates enough to begin in this field? How hard is it to find a job in Alabama in this field? What do I need to make sure I have and have done to be qualified for this job?
Also, I was hoping to find a hospital or clinic that offers tuition reimbursement. I am not sure if that is exactly what it is called but it's a program where the hospital/clinic would pay for my education as long as I plan work for them for a period of time. Anyone know how I could find out about those programs and possibly what places might offer them?

Any help you may have is appreciated. I am extremely excited about this potential career and what to find out as much as I can about it. The best way to do that is ask professionals about their experiences and opinions.
Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

bw in Belleville, Illinois

73 months ago

Stephanie in Dothan, Alabama said: Hi everyone. I am looking for some help from other professionals in this field. I am considering attending Virginia College in Birmingham, AL and joining their Diagnostic Medical Sonography program. I would be getting my Associates degree from there and then hopefully finding a job immediately after completing. Is an associates enough to begin in this field? How hard is it to find a job in Alabama in this field? What do I need to make sure I have and have done to be qualified for this job?
Also, I was hoping to find a hospital or clinic that offers tuition reimbursement. I am not sure if that is exactly what it is called but it's a program where the hospital/clinic would pay for my education as long as I plan work for them for a period of time. Anyone know how I could find out about those programs and possibly what places might offer them?

Any help you may have is appreciated. I am extremely excited about this potential career and what to find out as much as I can about it. The best way to do that is ask professionals about their experiences and opinions.
Thanks!

Sorry, but I would not look at Virginia College. They may offer an associates, but you don't need one. You only need to be registered ARDMS and Virginia College can't offer you a chance to take the registries until one year after graduation as long as you are able to work in the field that entire time. You will also come out inexperienced, because you have very little hands on training. I would look into Montgomery, AL. Glenn E. Vickery school of Diagnostic Ultrasound. It is associated with Baptist Health in Montgomery.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Tasha in Decatur, Alabama

71 months ago

Look into Wallace State Community College in Hanceville AL. I'm graduating from there in December from the Ultrasound program. It's a good one and clinicals start right away.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shawn in Huntsville, Alabama

71 months ago

The problem with Virginia College is that you are not eligible to take your Registry unless you work for a year first. If you graduate from Wallace it will take you longer, but you should get a job faster because you can take your registry the day after you graduate. Also Wallace is literally TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars cheaper than Virginia College. This is a great career, but it does take some time to learn properly.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dorothy in Birmingham, Alabama

71 months ago

Shawn in Huntsville, Alabama said: The problem with Virginia College is that you are not eligible to take your Registry unless you work for a year first. If you graduate from Wallace it will take you longer, but you should get a job faster because you can take your registry the day after you graduate. Also Wallace is literally TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars cheaper than Virginia College. This is a great career, but it does take some time to learn properly.

Virginia College may not be accredited but at least we know how to do vascular and alot of sites will hire a Virginia College student over a Wallace student just of that fact. We have two scanning labs over your few machines. When we go to clincials we are put on our own faster than wallace students because we already know all the scanning techinques.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Amy in Alpharetta, Georgia

66 months ago

I agree Dorothy! I just recently graduated from VA college and we have more than enough hands on training and we learn how to scan PROPERLY! We learn general, OB, and vascular. VA college may be expensive but its well worth it. As a matter of fact, you can sit for the science portion of your CCI registry right out of graduation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

chat in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

65 months ago

Stephanie in Dothan, Alabama said: Hi everyone. I am looking for some help from other professionals in this field. I am considering attending Virginia College in Birmingham, AL and joining their Diagnostic Medical Sonography program. I would be getting my Associates degree from there and then hopefully finding a job immediately after completing. Is an associates enough to begin in this field? How hard is it to find a job in Alabama in this field? What do I need to make sure I have and have done to be qualified for this job?

Thanks!

I would not suggest Virgina College in B'ham the tution is way too expensive and the school is not accrediated, and alot of students who come from there has said its hard to find a job afterwards...I once even applied but the tution in 2005 was 33,000 for two yrs. but there are other school in Alabama...Wallace State in Hanceville and one in Mobile,Ala. and Montgomery,Ala.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

friendlysonographer in Alabama

65 months ago

dont go to school in montgomery, al

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

B in Camden, Alabama

65 months ago

is Glenn E. Vickery school of Diagnostic Ultrasound a good school?

peaches902 in Columbus, Georgia

63 months ago

Friendlysonographer, what is wrong with the school in Montgomery, Al? I was actually thinking about going there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Riimix in Chelsea, Alabama

63 months ago

i was wondering if there are any diagnostic ultrasound programs that can be taken in Huntsville?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Donna Key in Birmingham, Alabama

62 months ago

Shawn in Huntsville, Alabama said: The problem with Virginia College is that you are not eligible to take your Registry unless you work for a year first. If you graduate from Wallace it will take you longer, but you should get a job faster because you can take your registry the day after you graduate. Also Wallace is literally TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars cheaper than Virginia College. This is a great career, but it does take some time to learn properly.

What is the program length at Wallace vs VA?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

jenny in Union Springs, Alabama

56 months ago

my husband is planning on attending school in Montgomery for his associates degree in diagnostic medical sonography, but when we checked online for possible job listings we could not find many in Alabama. Are there job openings for sonographers in Alabama?

elaine in Birmingham, Alabama

56 months ago

Very few job openings in Alabama. It really is who you know to get a job around here. Might consider on relocating to another state.

jenny in Union Springs, Alabama

56 months ago

elaine in Birmingham, Alabama said: Very few job openings in Alabama. It really is who you know to get a job around here. Might consider on relocating to another state.

Thank you. I think we are going to hold off on this field for now. Maybe nursing instead. We really need to have a good chance of finding job as soon as he finishes school.

henry in Birmingham, Alabama

56 months ago

jenny in Union Springs, Alabama said: my husband is planning on attending school in Montgomery for his associates degree in diagnostic medical sonography, but when we checked online for possible job listings we could not find many in Alabama. Are there job openings for sonographers in Alabama?

There are not many jobs in the Alabama market,The only reason i got a job was b/c i worked for the radiologist as her tech.

me in Birmingham, Alabama

56 months ago

Virginia college is not refferable to any one I think teachers are great but far as contnuing furher education they are not creditable to any local or university I got my 2 year program till now I get no jobs. So good luck anyone then.

elaine in Birmingham, Alabama

56 months ago

me in Birmingham, Alabama said: Virginia college is not refferable to any one I think teachers are great but far as contnuing furher education they are not creditable to any local or university I got my 2 year program till now I get no jobs. So good luck anyone then.

#1 you need to go back to english class or typing class for starts.

#2 the way the economy is, you need to take what you can get, even if it's a prn shift, at least get your feet in the door and show them what you can do. You never know you might be what they are looking for.

#3 once your registried in various modalities, job offers will come. It doesn't matter if you have a 2 year degree or 4 year. The experience you have is what counts.

Help 4 School in Dora, Alabama

54 months ago

Are there any students out there who have attended Wallace? Its tuition and accreditation is very attractive to me. I want to go beyond the 2 year program. Am I correct in my thinking that should I go to Virginia, I will not be able to further my education in the Sonography field? But, on the other hand, I hear it is very hard to get into the program at Wallace.

Any help, comments or suggestions will be most appreciated! Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

mike in Mobile, Alabama

54 months ago

any one knows about institute of ultrasound diagnostics in spanish fort alabama. hows the training ? does it have a good reputation .

Jen in Desert Hot Springs, California

54 months ago

mike in Mobile, Alabama said: any one knows about institute of ultrasound diagnostics in spanish fort alabama. hows the training ? does it have a good reputation .

Yes, this school does have a good reputation. I do know someone who attended the school and had ALL good things to say.
I hope that helps.

www.academyofultrasound.com

mike in Mobile, Alabama

54 months ago

Jen in Desert Hot Springs, California said: Yes, this school does have a good reputation. I do know someone who attended the school and had ALL good things to say.
I hope that helps.

www.academyofultrasound.com

thanx for ur reply.do u know if ur friend did the 1 yr. course? and the labs have one on one instructor as they say? if possible can u send me the e mail add of ur friend as i need more information about the institute & the program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Katelyn in Cullman, Alabama

54 months ago

Can I possibly go to Virginia College for my sonography classes, and then maybe go to Wallace State to get certified?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

theresabl in Birmingham, Alabama

54 months ago

Tasha in Decatur, Alabama said: Look into Wallace State Community College in Hanceville AL. I'm graduating from there in December from the Ultrasound program. It's a good one and clinicals start right away.

hey Tasha how long is the program there? Do you need prior college because this will be my first time in school sinc High school

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

theresabl in Birmingham, Alabama

54 months ago

Dorothy in Birmingham, Alabama said: Virginia College may not be accredited but at least we know how to do vascular and alot of sites will hire a Virginia College student over a Wallace student just of that fact. We have two scanning labs over your few machines. When we go to clincials we are put on our own faster than wallace students because we already know all the scanning techinques.

Dorothy how long is th program at VIRGINIA COLLEGE? I want to start there program but don't know what to do this will be my 1st time in school since graduating high school. Did you have to take pre requisites

Ellie in Anniston, Alabama

53 months ago

Help 4 School in Dora, Alabama said: Are there any students out there who have attended Wallace? Its tuition and accreditation is very attractive to me. I want to go beyond the 2 year program. Am I correct in my thinking that should I go to Virginia, I will not be able to further my education in the Sonography field? But, on the other hand, I hear it is very hard to get into the program at Wallace.

Any help, comments or suggestions will be most appreciated! Thanks!

I went to Wallace and loved it! It is much cheaper than vc and you can take your exams immediately. You also get more clinical time. Vc does have more machines than Wallace but they are scanning eachother. Scanning a classmate is so different than scanning in the hospital setting. Vc does have it's good points like learning vascular but I learned all vascular in the clinical setting and was more than competant in them when I graduated. I got a job immediately after graduation and was working nights alone. Whatever school you decide to go to, ultrasound is a great career!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Help 4 School in Dora, Alabama

53 months ago

how hard was it to get in? I hear it is so hard and that an applicant needs straight A's to get in. I have SEVERAL business course where I have B's. I am going back to finish up my prereq's at Bevill. What is your opinion on how hard it is to get into Wallace?

Amy in Birmingham, Alabama

48 months ago

Is Jefferson State a good school for ultrasound tech?

Shawn in Huntsville, Alabama

48 months ago

Amy in Birmingham, Alabama said: Is Jefferson State a good school for ultrasound tech?

I don't think Jeff State has an ultrasound program, but you can take your prerequisites there and transfer to Wallace for the Diagnostic Medical Sonography program.

J in Palm Springs, California

48 months ago

Amy in Birmingham, Alabama said: Is Jefferson State a good school for ultrasound tech?

I am not familiar with Jefferson State;however, have you considered an online ultrasound program that offers "hands-on" scan labs? look at www.academyofultrasound.com They have Echocardigraphy, Vascular, and General/Vascular sonography programs.

Good luck with your search.

Katie in Atlanta, Georgia

46 months ago

I was wondering if there was a school with the ultrasound program in Dothan, AL?

J in Palm Springs, California

46 months ago

Katie in Atlanta, Georgia said: I was wondering if there was a school with the ultrasound program in Dothan, AL?

Hi, Katie. I am from Alabama; however, I am not sure if there is an ultrasound school in Dothan. There is an online option for completing an ultrasound program. Take a look at www.academyofultrasound.com . All didactic work is completed online; but, there are scan labs required where the instructor travels to a location convenient to student. The labs are completed in addition to clinical rotation. It is a very convenient and easily accessible program to complete especially if you have a full-time job and/or a family.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Ginelle in Pelham, Alabama

44 months ago

Hi, Does anyone know if there is a program at UAB???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

E in Oxford, Alabama

44 months ago

Last I checked, there was not.

E in Oxford, Alabama

44 months ago

Last I checked, there was not.

jls in Grand Bay, Alabama

44 months ago

Ginelle in Pelham, Alabama said: Hi, Does anyone know if there is a program at UAB???

I do not know of a sonography program at UAB; however, I do know of an "online" ultrasound program - www.academyofultrasound.com
This program offers "hands-on" scan labs and assistance with setting up clinical sites. They also have a blog - academyofultrasound.com/blog

I hope this helps. Good luck in whatever you decide.

JLTech in Robertsdale, Alabama

44 months ago

mike in Mobile, Alabama said: thanx for ur reply.do u know if ur friend did the 1 yr. course? and the labs have one on one instructor as they say? if possible can u send me the e mail add of ur friend as i need more information about the institute & the program.

Mike, I attended the program in question if you are still considering it...

arshi in Mobile, Alabama

44 months ago

Hi,JL its actually good to have information from someone who has actually attended the program. how is the 1 yr. program? at what sites do they send for clinicals? i am a bit concerned as some of the posts are not in favor of this program .Is it worth spending this much money ?can u plz tell about ur experience ? thanx.

JLTech in Robertsdale, Alabama

44 months ago

PM me. Too much info and not enough room...something_like_ruth@yahoo.com

Stacey in Birmingham, Alabama

44 months ago

theresabl in Birmingham, Alabama said: Dorothy how long is th program at VIRGINIA COLLEGE? I want to start there program but don't know what to do this will be my 1st time in school since graduating high school. Did you have to take pre requisites

I graduated from Wallace and am now working at UAB. Wallace is tough to get in and tough to stay in but you can take your certification tests as soon as you graduate and the clinical experience is better. It's also ridiculously cheaper. If money means nothing to you go to virginia. There are not a lot of jobs out there right now in my opinion. The ones you do find say they want a tech who is registerd and the only way to get registered when going to virginia is to get a job and do a certain amount of exams- get a note from your boss & then take your test. But how can you get a job to get the experience to take the test if noone will hire you because they want you registerd already?!? We have a couple techs here who went to school in rome georgia and they know their stuff. Also if you live in georgia for a certain amount of time and you keep your grades up you can get your school paid for because of the hope scholarship (I think thats what its called)

scjamesRDMS in Birmingham, Alabama

40 months ago

Dorothy in Birmingham, Alabama said: Virginia College may not be accredited but at least we know how to do vascular and alot of sites will hire a Virginia College student over a Wallace student just of that fact. We have two scanning labs over your few machines. When we go to clincials we are put on our own faster than wallace students because we already know all the scanning techinques.

1) Wallace has adjusted their course requirements to include vascular.
2) Wallace state accepts 25 students at a time. There is no need for more than a few machines.
3) Scanning protocols are learned (with few exceptions) before any clinicals begin.
4) With new ARDMS regulations 95% of my graduating class (2009) had already passed the SPI exam before graduating and the majority of us had passed at least one other exam within 6 months of graduation.

scjamesRDMS in Birmingham, Alabama

40 months ago

Ginelle in Pelham, Alabama said: Hi, Does anyone know if there is a program at UAB???

UAB school shut their program down in 2006. There is not one through the hospital as of 2009. If you are looking specifically for a program through a hospital, DCH Regional in Tuscaloosa, AL has one, they require a 2 yr healthcare degree before starting it & prefer x-ray if I remember correctly.

liz123 in Birmingham, Alabama

38 months ago

what is some good colleges for ultrasound tech. (diagnostic medical sonographer) in alabama?

J in Mobile, Alabama

38 months ago

Are you interested in Echocardiography, Vascular, or General/Vascular ultrasound? Echocardiography (Cardiovascular) is a great option.
Depending on what type of learning environment you are looking for, "brick-and-mortar" versus "online", you might want to look at online. Look at www.academyofultrasound.com

I would suggest doing your research for the program that best serves YOUR needs. Good Luck with your search.

www.academyofultrasound.com/blog

trowasmom in Odenville, Alabama

38 months ago

I am currently in the program at VC and have met several Wallace students in my clinical rotations. According to a current student, they study no vascular at all. There is a program available after you graduate to try to learn vascular in 3 months. Which in my opinion is a complete joke because we study vascular for 2 years. We have just as many clinical hours and while yes, we do scan each other for general and vascular, I have been told by Wallace students that they do the same. We have patients for OB of course and scan very early in our education at clinical sites. It cost a little more than Wallace but that is because there is a lot more to our program. We have 2 scan labs with up to date equipment and learn almost every technique currently used. Our teachers are very knowledgeable and have decades of knowledge between them all. The market is saturated and it may take relocating to find a job, but there are a few in the area if you are willing to fight for them.

Brenda in Bakersfield, California

38 months ago

In my opinion you need to be VERY careful of online schools. Even if you ask the "right" questions, make sure you get your answers in writing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

carmenpaigee in Tuscaloosa, Alabama

38 months ago

If you go online and read reviews of Virginia college you will find nothing but BAD things! I was thinking about going there but thankfully I read the reviews first! I am hoping to transfer next year to Wallace! I am so excited to get my career started!!

sassy in Birmingham, Alabama

38 months ago

Better think again. At Wallace they don't teach Vascular. You will have to learn Vascular at your clincial site. Virginia College teaches Vascular so that you are ready and able to scan Vsscular when you do go to your clincial site. Those sites are really amazed at how much more skilled the Virginia College students than the Wallace students. Also at Virginia College you scan actual OB patients and you will already know the proctols for OB when you go to your clincial site. Virginia College may cost more, but you are getting more skills and are ready to scan when you go to your clincial site. The clincial sites look for that, because they have to take more time will the Wallace students than they do for Virginia College students, because they already know how to scan and can be put on their own without supervision. If it will help you, talk to some different sites and get their opinion for which they would prefer.

carmenpaigee in Birmingham, Alabama

38 months ago

Ok, this is probably a very dumb question but do you even need vascular if you are only wanting to do OB? I have only been researching DMS since yesterday so I am full of (duh!) questions..

Visitor in Tulsa, Oklahoma

38 months ago

Which is the best school in Montgomery?

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.