Central Florida Institute

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 379)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

laj2236 in Seminole, Florida

76 months ago

Hi Julie....

I have researched this school and can find nothing but good things. My boyfriend just finished an MA program at a different school and wishes he went there instead. When are you thinking of starting?
If ya want, email me at laj2236@yahoo.com
Laura

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bluemartini in Brandon, Florida

75 months ago

I just graduated from that school 5 mos. ago and it was the worst school I've ever gone to. We went through 3 different teachers in less than a year, we had to find our own extern site. The people are just plain rude and we did not get any help with job placement like we were told when we signed up for it. All people in my class still couldn't find any job 5 mos. later.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (11) Reply - Report abuse

Jonathan in Clearwater, Florida

74 months ago

bluemartini in Brandon, Florida said: I just graduated from that school 5 mos. ago and it was the worst school I've ever gone to. We went through 3 different teachers in less than a year, we had to find our own extern site. The people are just plain rude and we did not get any help with job placement like we were told when we signed up for it. All people in my class still couldn't find any job 5 mos. later.

I agree. I am currently a student at Central Florida Institute and don't recommend wasting your money on this school. I wish I hadn't but it's too late now. The administration is rude and the instructors are ill-qualified. Once you sign the contract, they really just don't care. Most of my learning has been self-taught even though I attend classes days per week. It's a poorly run school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

Pete in Hudson, Florida

74 months ago

Julie in New Port Richey, Florida said: Just wondering if anyone has attended this school and what your thoughts are on the education you get there, I am interested in their cvt class

Don't waste your time. Any ultrasound school that is not CAAHEP accredited is not worth it. You'll find it extremely difficult to get work. Most of us had to look for our extern sites. I just wasted 2 years of my life for nothing.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

TBT in Port Richey, Florida

74 months ago

Central Florida Institute has applied for accreditation from CAAHEP and is in the midst of waiting for the response from CAAHEP. Trying being unhappy with CAAHEP, not with the school who is doing everything they were requested or required to do by CAAHEP.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

bluemartini in Tampa, Florida

74 months ago

CAAHEP has something to do with the school accreditation but it has nothing to do with the way students were treated by the school employees. They were very uncooperative, unhelpful, rude, they never returned your calls to address some issues. The only calls I've gotten was that they want to know if I'm working yet so they can send their new students to my job for clinicals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

TBT in New Port Richey, Florida

74 months ago

I found just the opposite - the teachers and staff were awesome and cared about all of us. I also saw many students who had no manners and if they acted at work like they did at school they would have been fired. And yet the teachers and staff tried to work with them. I think they deserve a medal for dealing with all of that stuff plus training us. Maybe you should think what it would be like to be one of them and deal with all of our expectations and smart remarks. I know I am getting the best education there is and when I am out in the field I will be really glad that I had those people who you trash - I am pretty sure you will too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

roxy360 in Mesa, Arizona

73 months ago

going there now & love it!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

With all of your years in the medical field and your two college degrees, and working all over the US and other countries - what are you doing at the school anyway? You sound like you know everything but I guess nobody wants you out there because of your "know it all attitude". Did you ever think that maybe the teachers left for other reasons - maybe they weren't that good and the school expected them to do better or whatever. That has nothing to do with what you are being taught. Who cares how many teachers you have? I think it is GREAT to have different teachers and different sides of the story. YOU should know that with all of YOUR education! Talk about seeing the glass always 1/2 empty. What about the recent DMS student who just got offered a job in Buffalo, New York she sure seemed happy with the school. She even got moving expenses and everything. No wonder they hired her and not someone like you! Stop giving hard working, caring people a bad name because YOU have not been successful in your life otherwise you would not be in school right now YOU would be some big wig somewhere, but you are not, YOU are just like everyone else trying to get a good education at our school. Grow up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Monica

73 months ago

Ok I am supposed to start this school next week in their DMS program and you will not even begin to understand how much I have stressed about attending. The fact that it hasn't been approved by Caahep is scaring me. I am a mother who can not afford to lose $20k in student loans if I can not find work. I can't move out of state either for a job. Also, hearing current students calling the school no good is really giving me more doubt. I wish I can turn the cheek but I have TOO much on the line right now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

All I can say is this - I feel sorry for you. The school gave you a gift of knowledge and you trashed it. Just think how you would feel if you trained someone on all the wonderful things you know, they learned, and then they trashed you. Oh wait, that's right YOU wouldn't care - because that is what you do. I may be young, but with God's help, I will never be like you. Central Florida Institute is the best!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

Don't believe negative, ignorant people. They already have one accreditation ABHES and they are seeking a second accreditation CAAHEP. They have to follow CAAHEP's requirements. I know they just got their sleep technician program approved by CAAHEP - take a look at caahep.org and look under polysomnographic programs - they are the only ones in Florida that are dual accredited. You could even call or contact CAAHEP and ask them what is going on if you don't believe the school. That is what I did and CAAHEP assured me that Central Florida Institute has applied and is being reviewed. Oh yeah another thing - every program that the school has applied for through CAAHEP, they got their second accreditation - so lets see that is 4 for 4, that is 100% - so I think it looks really good for them. Again, don't listen to someone who trashes a school that cares - but they didn't have the smarts to contact CAAHEP directly. Good luck in your program, I am sure you will do well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

a) Thank you for proving my point about your skewed point of view and anger - not facts.

b) Try calling CAAHEP sweetie; the website lists the schools that have completed the entire process. CFI is still in the midst of this process - they have been visited and are awaiting their report. Oh, and by the way it was CAAHEP who told the school that they were going to visit and then didn't because there are over 250 schools in the nation that applied for CAAHEP accreditation and they did not have enought personnel (since there only used to be 75 schools). But I am sure you knew that and just happened to forget to mention that. Also sweetie you neglected to say that you could have taken the certification exam after working in the field for one year - the school did not require the additional accreditation for that. Oh and about the externship sites, how dare the school help you to work directly with the hospitals that might hire you. I on the other hand have already done that and have my externship site set. I have pride in who I am, where I go to school and whom I will be, so it gave me great pride to go to sites and ask to extern there. But who would hire YOU? Oh, but that is right - then you couldn't have complained for no reason. What's the matter, did the school not bow at your feet to have you there and tell you daily that you were God's gift to the world? YOU are so pathetic.

I truly will pray for you and hope that God will fix your skewed point of view and your anger.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

73 months ago

One last question for you. You did take your registry with ARDMS right? Because if you really have your BA, you are eligible to take it right after your graduate, with a letter from the Program Director. You did know this - right? So for you it did not matter if the school had CAAHEP approval, you could take the test right after you graduated. Interesting isn't this.

Here is my parting comments to you and I wish you a good life:

One day a while back, a man, his heart heavy with grief, was walking in the woods. As he thought about his life this day, he knew many things were not right. He thought about those who had lied about him back when he had a job.

His thoughts turned to those who had stolen his things and cheated him. He remembered family that had passed on. His mind turned to the illness he had, that no one could cure. His very soul was filled with anger, resentment, and frustration.

Standing there this day, searching for answers he could not find, knowing all else had failed him, he knelt at the base of an old oak tree to seek the one he knew would always be there. And with tears in his eyes, he prayed:

'Lord- You have done wonderful things for me in this life. You have told me to do many things for you, and I happily obeyed. Today, you have told me to forgive. I am sad, Lord, because I cannot, I don't know how. It is not fair Lord, I didn't deserve these wrongs that were done against me and I shouldn't have to forgive. As perfect as your way is Lord, this one thing I cannot do, for I don't know how to forgive. My anger is so deep Lord, I fear I may not hear you, but I pray you teach me to do the one thing I cannot do: Teach me to forgive.'

As he knelt there in the quiet shade of that old oak tree, he felt something fall onto his shoulder. He opened his eyes. Out of the corner of one eye, he saw something red on his shirt. He could not turn to see what it was because where the oak tree had been was a large square p

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

EDIR in New Port Richey, Florida

73 months ago

I am an Educational Director at one of the Tampa Bay hospitals that has had hundreds of Central Florida Institute externs in our facility. We have also hired many, many graduates of Central Florida Institute. The externs and graduates we see are very well skilled and knowledgeable. I can honestly confirm that all information that is supplied by Central Florida Institute is honest and reliable. The information that TBT stated regarding the ultrasound program is accurate, as we have confirmed this information. We will continue hiring graduates of Central Florida Institute and their externs will always be welcomed at our facilities. They are truly one of the best training facilities that we have found.

I have found through my years of experience in this field that when someone is as angry as Chroma in Brandon displays, there are other underlying issues. TBT makes a point that you should check out regarding anger management. I am quite certain that someone in your hospital would be more than happy to help you, as it is evident that this assistance is warranted.

Thank you Central Florida Institute for the training you supply for our health care professionals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Rob in Tampa, Florida

73 months ago

I am looking for Ultrasound Technicians for freelance work in the Tampa Bay Area. Complete Medical Services specializes in providing “Turn-Key” solutions for implementing diagnostic testing in family practice, internal med, hospitals, clinics, diagnostic centers etc.

Our company is the leading provider of refurbished bone densitometer equipment. We work with GE and Hologic bone density systems. Including Lunar DPX IQ, Lunar DPX MD, Lunar Prodigy Pro, Lunar Achilles Express, Hologic QDR 4500, Hologic Delphi, Hologic Discovery. Ultrasound, CT, MRI and other diagnostic imaging equipment are available from leading manufacturers, GE, Siemens, HP, Phillips, Toshiba. All of our equipment is fully refurbished to meet OEM specifications.

I have a doctor in the Town and Country area that is purchasing ultrasound and needs a technician for freelance work. Please contact me if you or if you know somebody that might be interested. Also if you know of any doctors, hospitals etc. that might be in the market for diagnostic imaging equipment please let me know as CMS does compensate for the referrals. rwhipple@completemedicalservices.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

DRCL in New Port Richey, Florida

73 months ago

Central Florida Institute is an INCREDIBLE school. As an employer in this region for many years, we have hired MANY graduates from this school and they are outstanding. In addition, we have heard only the best about the school from the students who come here on externship and become our associates. Students are well trained (up-to-date), have good skills, and are very knowledgeable. We have recommended CFI to many people, and will continue to do so. We have visited the campus - their equipment is state of the art, their faculty are caring and extremely knowledgeable, their administration is honest, follows the rules in the industry and cares for their students and their outcomes. Our hat is off to Central Florida Institute for all they do.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

vipergirl in Tampa, Florida

72 months ago

This school is great! The instructors care and are willing to tutor you one on one if necessary. You are NOT just a number to them. I am currently in the DMS program. A few of us were struggling with Physics, and our instructor was willing to come in early and stay late to help us. No matter what your problem might be (personal or curricular), the instructors care and are there to help you. In 2005, I went through the MA program. The program is set up for you to learn above and beyond what is required of you. They also helped me find a job. Unfortunately, I worked for two doctors that were horrible humans, and mistreated their staff. I wanted to stay in the medical field, so I checked online with CFI to see if they had any new programs. I saw that they started the DMS program, what a lucky break. When I went in, I was told the truth about everything. The students who went before me knew what they were in for. They knew that the program was not accredited, but that the school was working on it. The school has to have two classes go through the program before they can start the accreditation process. The school was VERY upfront about this. Anyone who blames CFI for not finding work needs to look in the mirror. I have heard horror stories about some students who went through the program. These types of people give the field a bad name. When you have students who can’t follow dress code, think they know everything, have attitudes, and can’t follow instructions, it makes the rest of us look bad. Students are sent out on clinicals and externship. Some are sent back because they have attitudes towards their preceptors, and they think that they are too good to do whatever they are told to do. Every time a student is sent back, it makes the school look bad. Some sites will send the student back and say that they will no longer accept CFI students. Since the DMS program is very new, it is hard to find sites for the students. The program is not accredited yet, so some places w

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

vipergirl in Tampa, Florida

72 months ago

-part 2-
The program is not accredited yet, so some places won’t accept a student until that goes through. Then when students don’t know how to act professionally, and make us lose a site, that hurts the future classes coming through. Unfortunately, we had a former instructor from another program heading up our clinical sites. He was truly worthless. A lot of the students in my class found their own sites. One of our instructors was so fed up with his laziness, that she stepped up to the plate and has found us all sites. Yes, it was a little rocky in the beginning, but now we have someone who knows what she is doing.
So, yes, I highly recommend CFI. Just leave your attitudes and childish behavior at the door, and be willing to absorb everything that you can. The instructors are highly knowledgeable, and if you are willing to learn, with an open mind, you will go far.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Curious in Palm Harbor, Florida

72 months ago

Will someone that is curringly going to this school give me some information on it? The information on their site is vague. When I called them they refused to give me any information on the phone. They said I had to come in and could not receive any information about classes or tuition any other way. I e-mailed for info and they did not respond except to ask me for my phone number to set up a meeting. I found their refusal to provide any information unless I am there in person very poor on their part. It really turned me off. These are time-share tactics. Some of you have said some encouraging things though. I am interested in the DMS program. Can anyone tell me what tuition is, how the classes work(semesters? day classes? when classes start? etc). Thank you for the help.

teegirl

72 months ago

Hi Vipergirl,
I am currently in the DMS program at CFI. However, I just started the program. I have to say I like it so far just kind of nervous because of the mixed reviews and also us losing that big site. I am hoping we get some information about the accredidation soon but either way Im just trying to remain positive. My class is worry about the physics portion none too lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

teegirl said: Hi Vipergirl,
I am currently in the DMS program at CFI. However, I just started the program. I have to say I like it so far just kind of nervous because of the mixed reviews and also us losing that big site. I am hoping we get some information about the accredidation soon but either way Im just trying to remain positive. My class is worry about the physics portion none too lol

Hi, teegirl.

When did you start the program? Are the classes days or nights? How long is the program and how much? Do the classes go by semesters? Do you have any idea when the next class is supposed to start? How far into the program until clinicals start? Thank you so much for any information you can give me!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida

72 months ago

TBT IN PORT RICHEY: How old are you? I'm guessing you're between 20 and 24.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Why do you ask?

72 months ago

I found just the opposite - the teachers and staff were awesome and cared about all of us.

This is axactly what I mean. "Awesome" is not a word used by the mature population. "They caredy about all of us."

Get it Girl - they're getting paid to make you feel special!!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

What are you talking about? From what you can see about what I write? I ASKED about the school. I didn't say anything about it other than they didn't give me any information over the phone. You are rude and just an all around nasty person to put someone down for something they didn't even say. You must be getting senile.

Hello in Palm Harbor, Florida

72 months ago

I see good and bad information about this school. Both providing backup. Everyone has different experiences. Can anyone provide information on the school that Curious has asked for? I am interested as well but would like more specific information on the program. All I was told over the phone was that it would take a little over a year. Nothing about costs, classes, start dates, clinics, etc. I have a degree from USF but would like to go for something medical now. Anyone who has gone or is currently attending this school for the DMS program - information would be great. If you have never gone to this school and are not affiliated with it in any way, then please don't waste people's time with your useless comments.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

TBT IN PORT RICHEY: How old are you? I'm guessing you're between 20 and 24.

I found just the opposite - the teachers and staff were awesome and cared about all of us.

This is axactly what I mean. "Awesome" is not a word used by the mature population. "They caredy about all of us."

Get it Girl - they're getting paid to make you feel special!!!!
_________
This was directed to TBT, not Palm Harbor.
When you respond to something, be sure you know who it was directed to. I asked TBT, and it says TBT - not Palm Harbor.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

teegirl

72 months ago

Curious in Palm Harbor, I started the program about a month ago, you can either go day or nights I know day classes are from 8:30-2:30 M-F Im not sure what the night schedule is at this point. The program is roughly 18 months long (so I was told) but if you choose night then its a little longer because night classes only meets 4 nights a week. As far as tuition goes, its roughly $27k. The school is a clock hour school so I believe its broken up into terms, Im not sure when we start clinicals because there are a few general ed course we need to get out of the way first, Im thinking my group will start in May/June. Im not sure when the next class start you would need to talk with the advisors.

So far I like the school and I think that no matter what school you choose there will be people who absolutely hate everything about it and students who loved the school. I went to HCC and I cant tell you the numerous times they messed up or gave me wrong information but that still doesn't make it a "bad" school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

teegirl said: Curious in Palm Harbor, I started the program about a month ago, you can either go day or nights I know day classes are from 8:30-2:30 M-F Im not sure what the night schedule is at this point. The program is roughly 18 months long (so I was told) but if you choose night then its a little longer because night classes only meets 4 nights a week. As far as tuition goes, its roughly $27k. The school is a clock hour school so I believe its broken up into terms, Im not sure when we start clinicals because there are a few general ed course we need to get out of the way first, Im thinking my group will start in May/June. Im not sure when the next class start you would need to talk with the advisors.

So far I like the school and I think that no matter what school you choose there will be people who absolutely hate everything about it and students who loved the school. I went to HCC and I cant tell you the numerous times they messed up or gave me wrong information but that still doesn't make it a "bad" school.

Thank you, teegirl! I have an appointment this week to meet with them. I wanted to have some info before I went in. So I really appreciate it. I read another blog on this forum and I'm really concerned about this school not being accredited. I may still choose to go to HCC but won't be able to get in until Aug 2010 because I have to take physics. I took chemistry. I'll keep my fingers crossed that this school gets accredited soon!

Teegirl in Wesley Chapel, Florida

72 months ago

Yeah I really debated about the HCC and going to CFI situation. However, I ended up choosing CFI because I was able to confirm with Caahep that CFI was in the process and was at the exact stage where CFI had told me they were at. Im crossing my fingers we hear something soon. I can say that so far things have been great, there are a few things I could complain about but honestly Im sure that is with any school. The DMS program is a fairly new program so its almost as if CFI is still trying to tweak it until they have a great program. All other programs they offered are also caahep accredited so that gives me lots of hope that the DMS program will be accredited as well.

Good luck!

72 months ago

Thank you again, teegirl! Any chance you were told by CAAHEP how long the review process is expected to take?

72 months ago

Since I've been there and done that, let me give you a suggestion. If (which I don't know) are unaccredited, decide which one by either: (1) Comparing the program (classes) from one to the other; and/or (2) take the one with the lowest tuition.

You don't want to end up with a sheitload of student loans.

72 months ago

Mary inTampa in Tampa, Florida said: Since I've been there and done that, let me give you a suggestion. If (which I don't know) are unaccredited, decide which one by either: (1) Comparing the program (classes) from one to the other; and/or (2) take the one with the lowest tuition.

You don't want to end up with a sheitload of student loans.

27k is a ton of money. HCC is accredited and costs MUCH less. I would really rather do it sooner than later. With HCC I still need to take physics which means I couldn't get into the program there until Aug 2010. Application for this Aug has to be in by mid next month. No chance. If I went to CFI, I would be done before I would even start at HCC. If I can't get a job because of CFI not being accredited . . . So frustrating.
By the way, Mary, let me sincerely apologize. You are absolutely correct. I totally misread your comment earlier. I was completely wrong. I'm sorry.

72 months ago

Is it hard to find a job in sonography even if you're from an accredited school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Do a job search in Indeed - "Sonography". Once you get there click on the Forums. That will give you all the forums regarding sonography.

I had one more thought last night. (Then I will shut up).
When you're 30 years old, you're going to want to use your money to buy a house, condo, hot car, etc. With the more extensive program, you will probably still be paying a student loan of $250.00 a month. You may one day end up thinking, "Oh, why did I spend all that money on that program when I could have taken a better and cheaper one."

Good luck in whatever decision you make. Which ever one you choose, try not to look back with regret.

Lynn in Saint Petersburg, Florida

72 months ago

I am a recent graduate of CFI's DMS program and I would not recommend it. I did have 2 really great instructors. Unfortunatly, neither are at the school anymore. It is very hard to get in touch with the adminstration or have them answer questions. I do wish instead of the school assuring us it would be accredited by the time we graduated (which it wasn't) they would have advised of the hardships one would face as a graduate of a program that is not accredited. The admissions personnel are now telling prospective students they should be prepared to relocate upon graduation. If I could do it over or had a suggestion for someone considering going into the Ultrasound field, go to HCC. You will spend far less money and get a much better education. At CFI you will have a 5 week OB class, if you go to HCC you will do 2 semesters of OB and be far more prepared and knowledgeable once you get into the field. Sometimes faster isn't always better, especially in a field like Ultrasound.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Curious in Tempe, Arizona

72 months ago

Lynn in Saint Petersburg, Florida said: I am a recent graduate of CFI's DMS program and I would not recommend it. I did have 2 really great instructors. Unfortunatly, neither are at the school anymore. It is very hard to get in touch with the adminstration or have them answer questions. I do wish instead of the school assuring us it would be accredited by the time we graduated (which it wasn't) they would have advised of the hardships one would face as a graduate of a program that is not accredited. The admissions personnel are now telling prospective students they should be prepared to relocate upon graduation. If I could do it over or had a suggestion for someone considering going into the Ultrasound field, go to HCC. You will spend far less money and get a much better education. At CFI you will have a 5 week OB class, if you go to HCC you will do 2 semesters of OB and be far more prepared and knowledgeable once you get into the field. Sometimes faster isn't always better, especially in a field like Ultrasound.

Thank you for the information. Do you know anyone that was in the CVT program? I see that one is accredited. Are there jobs in the bay area for sonography if you do come out of an accredited program?

72 months ago

I have heard good things about the CVT program. And it is CAAHEP accredited. There are jobs for Ultrasound Techs in the Bay area. In my own personal experience and I can't speak for anyone else, I have spoken to HR at Tampa General, St Pete General and Baycare and they won't even look at your resume unless you went through an accredited program. Once you are registered, there are many opportunities out there. It's a great field to get into if you go to a good school.

72 months ago

Lynn in Saint Petersburg, Florida said: I have heard good things about the CVT program. And it is CAAHEP accredited. There are jobs for Ultrasound Techs in the Bay area. In my own personal experience and I can't speak for anyone else, I have spoken to HR at Tampa General, St Pete General and Baycare and they won't even look at your resume unless you went through an accredited program. Once you are registered, there are many opportunities out there. It's a great field to get into if you go to a good school.

Thank you, Lynn. I really appreciate it. What is the appointment like? I have mine this week. Is it high pressure? Does everyone take the same classes at the same time when you start the program? How often do they start? Does the tuition vary or is it a flat rate?

72 months ago

Curious in Tempe, Arizona said: Thank you, Lynn. I really appreciate it. What is the appointment like? I have mine this week. Is it high pressure? Does everyone take the same classes at the same time when you start the program? How often do they start? Does the tuition vary or is it a flat rate?

Everyone takes the same classes at the same time so you will be with the same group of students through out the entire program. The cost varies by the program. I know the DMS program is around $30,000 and I believe the CVT is a little bit less. The classes start periodically throughout the year so I'm not sure when the next start date is...but let me know...I might go back to school for CVT ;)

72 months ago

I will let you know. Thank you again for your help! Telling people to expect to relocate just isn't a good option. Especially because most other places are probably going to want accredited graduates as well. How long was your DMS program? Did you only receive 5 weeks of ob/gyn or did you time as well like abdominal, heart?

72 months ago

I had my tour last week of CFI. They were very honest with me about the accredidation for DMS. They said they were in the process but did not know when it would go through. They did not tell me I should be prepared to move once I graduated. They said if I was in the program when the accrediation went through, I would be grandfathered in. Meaning, they didn't have to already be acreddited when I started the program. They said if the accredidation went through after I graduated, then I would have to do the one year of work before I could sit for the boards. I did call the CAAHEP and they would not give me any information at all.

72 months ago

Curious in Tempe, Arizona said: I had my tour last week of CFI. They were very honest with me about the accredidation for DMS. They said they were in the process but did not know when it would go through. They did not tell me I should be prepared to move once I graduated. They said if I was in the program when the accrediation went through, I would be grandfathered in. Meaning, they didn't have to already be acreddited when I started the program. They said if the accredidation went through after I graduated, then I would have to do the one year of work before I could sit for the boards. I did call the CAAHEP and they would not give me any information at all.

If you ask CAAHEP about being grandfathered in, they will tell you there is no such thing as being grandfathered in. We were all told that by the school and once we ourselves contacted CAAHEP we were advised they do not grandfather students in. You do have to work for a year in order to sit for your boards, however, finding somewhere that will hire you if you went through a program that is not CAAHEP accredited is extremely difficult. I know half the class that graduated in April are still looking for jobs. I have been looking for 2 months and I will relocate for a position so I have sent my resume EVERYWHERE and I get the same response they want someone who eligible to sit for their boards. Just be cautious when making your decision. Oh and I heard from a school adminsitrator's mouth that the admissions people are now advising people to be prepared to relocate when I spoke with her about how I can't find a job and felt misled by the school. Did you look into the CVT program as well?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

"They said if I was in the program when the accreditation went through, I would be grandfathered in. Meaning, they didn't have to already be accredited when I started the program." I don't know how else to explain it. If the program gets accredited while you are taking it, then your degree gets accredited. The program doesn't have to already be accredited before you start for it to count. If the program doesn't get accredited until after, then you have to try to find a job for a year. They did not tell me to be prepared to move. I see everywhere that it is hard to get a job without the accreditation. I will keep working on prereqs for HCC and hope CFI gets theirs before then. For CVT they said it was 2 years for about $28k. The first year is the technician part. The second year is the technologist part. They said books and scrubs are included. You go 4 days a week. How many sets of scrubs did they provide you with?

72 months ago

Lynn,

Where did you do your externship? Will they not hire there eventhough they let students do their clinicals there?

Chanelle in Tampa, Florida

72 months ago

Curious in Tempe, Arizona said: I had my tour last week of CFI. They were very honest with me about the accredidation for DMS. They said they were in the process but did not know when it would go through. They did not tell me I should be prepared to move once I graduated. They said if I was in the program when the accrediation went through, I would be grandfathered in. Meaning, they didn't have to already be acreddited when I started the program. They said if the accredidation went through after I graduated, then I would have to do the one year of work before I could sit for the boards. I did call the CAAHEP and they would not give me any information at all.

Hi Curious,
I'm one of the first batch of students that graduated last summer from the DMS program. I could tell you that there's no such thing as being "grandfathered" per CAAHEP. That's just another way of enticing you to get suckered in to get into the CFI's program. And even if that is the case, if you didn't graduate before the school was accredited you would still need to document 2080 hours of FT job as a ultrasound tech before you could even sit in for the registry per ARDMS criteria. What I have been finding out is that most of these jobs are only interested if you are registered or not and only a few considers the school you went to. My advise is that check with the registry board (ARDMS)for their criteria or prerequisites. On their web site it will tell you everything you need before you can sit for the registry. Lynn was right. I too was told to look for a job out of state! Florida has a lot of schools for US and is saturated with newly graduates but what's going to set you apart most of the time is if the school is accredited and their reputation but most importantly if you're registered. To give you another perspective: of all the students that graduated from CFI last summer,only 3 of us got jobs(Two ended up out of State and I'm the only one who's working here in FL).

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Can you tell me where you the extern sites are at?

Chanelle in Tampa, Florida

72 months ago

Curious in Tempe, Arizona said: Can you tell me where you the extern sites are at?

To Curious,

There were maybe a couple of students whose sites were within a 30 minute distance but most of us had to drive more than 1 hour from school or from where we live. A lot these students didn't even have sites for clinicals or externs so most of them had to stay in school just waiting (most of them waited at least 2 mos. to be sent to the sites). Towards the end a few of the students had to find their own sites themselves because they couldn't get any help from the coordinators and most of the intructors left the school in the middle of the program. I found my site on my own. The school lost a lot of sites because they never follow up with these people. The school just send the students to the sites and that's it. All of my sites wanted to talk to my intstuctors and coordinators to update them on my progress but no one bothered to call or visit my sites. I got my job now because of my husband. He's a Physician Assistant who does heart surgery and interventional radiology and knows people in different imaging centers that they use for their patients. Please don't waste money and time. Go directly to an accredited school so you can sit for the registry right away. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Chanelle in Tampa, Florida said: To Curious,

There were maybe a couple of students whose sites were within a 30 minute distance but most of us had to drive more than 1 hour from school or from where we live. A lot these students didn't even have sites for clinicals or externs so most of them had to stay in school just waiting (most of them waited at least 2 mos. to be sent to the sites). Towards the end a few of the students had to find their own sites themselves because they couldn't get any help from the coordinators and most of the intructors left the school in the middle of the program. I found my site on my own. The school lost a lot of sites because they never follow up with these people. The school just send the students to the sites and that's it. All of my sites wanted to talk to my intstuctors and coordinators to update them on my progress but no one bothered to call or visit my sites. I got my job now because of my husband. He's a Physician Assistant who does heart surgery and interventional radiology and knows people in different imaging centers that they use for their patients. Please don't waste money and time. Go directly to an accredited school so you can sit for the registry right away. Good luck.

Thank you. I'm glad your husband was able to help you find a position. I see CFI does have several programs that are accredited. Do you know if they have the same issues with the clinical sites?

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.