DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY AT WEST COAST ULTRASOUND

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 1165)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Laurel Collins in Los Angeles, California

79 months ago

I went to an unaccredited program...WEST COAST ULTRASOUND - and NOONE ever warned me of how hard it would be to get a job. It is like a cattle call there..too many students, not enough externship sites...certainly not enough hospitals...they'll stick you in an outpatient only-which you need and DESERVE training in an hospital as well. I definitely would not waste my money on this school. They are not much help once you do graduate...because they know there is nothing they can do! These schools should be sued...go to an accredited school ONLY!!! You should be the one making money after all your hard work as a student...not the schools...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (72) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

NDL in Duarte, California

79 months ago

I am so glad I deferred my enrollment date at West Coast Ultrasound. I was going to attend the April 1st start at the Ontario site. I had thoroughly research this school on the internet without finding any defeciencies or complaints about this school. But one thing I didn't get a chance to do but wanted to do it was talk to actual students currently enrolled or that has graduated from this school. I have seen about 3-4 complaints about this school on this forum. I'm glad I have decided to take the community college route that is CAAHEP & JRCERT accredited programs. It may take a little longer; but, overall its accredited by those two and cost alot cheaper than West Coast Ultrasound.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

wei in Van Nuys, California

79 months ago

Please tell me more because I am seriously thinking of starting there this weekend. Are you saying that you don't get the externship that they promise to give to every student?

I have also been told that the sonographer job is everywhere. This is not the case any more? even after pass the ARDMS test?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

79 months ago

Hi Wei,

Do you have a Bachelor's degree? Again, that is only way you will be able to sit for the ARDMS exam after you graduate from West Coast. Otherwise, you will have to wait a year(working for a year) to take the exam - and it is not easy to find a job if you are not registered AND you went to an unaccredited school. Of course, the school will make everything look rosey..they want your money. All I know..is that I have heard that have WAY too many students and not enough clinical sites - that some students are having to wait to even start their externship - this after paying 30k!! If I were you, I would look into accredited schools -take your time and look at other programs...I feel like this school is in for whole heap of trouble as far as their ultrasound program goes...they do not tell the whole truth to incoming students and they are allowing too many students into the program KNOWING they have nowhere to put them once their clinicals come around(quality clinicals anyway)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

wei in Valencia, California

79 months ago

Laurel Collins in Los Angeles, California said: Hi Wei,

Do you have a Bachelor's degree? Again, that is only way you will be able to sit for the ARDMS exam after you graduate from West Coast. Otherwise, you will have to wait a year(working for a year) to take the exam - and it is not easy to find a job if you are not registered AND you went to an unaccredited school. Of course, the school will make everything look rosey..they want your money. All I know..is that I have heard that have WAY too many students and not enough clinical sites - that some students are having to wait to even start their externship - this after paying 30k!! If I were you, I would look into accredited schools -take your time and look at other programs...I feel like this school is in for whole heap of trouble as far as their ultrasound program goes...they do not tell the whole truth to incoming students and they are allowing too many students into the program KNOWING they have nowhere to put them once their clinicals come around(quality clinicals anyway)

Thank you very much for your info, Laurel. So, their problem is that they don't have that many quality hospitals/clinics to put the students. I will ask Tony/Rebecca this question specifically.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sylvie, San Diego CA.

78 months ago

They will tell you and tell you that they have sites and one person I know got her externship almost a year later. I have a bachelors degree and still cannot seem to find anything- most places are now asking for 2-3 years experience, especially in CA.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Wei, just please remember - they will tell you what you want to hear. There are students who are not being placed because they just don't have the sites! They especially do not have a lot of hospitals..which is the best training around. I think it was a huge waste of my time and money and I do certainly blame them for not telling me EVERYTHING! So many techs out there just shake their head at this school....there are just too many quality schools out there that are RESPECTABLE....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Sylvie, San Diego CA. said: They will tell you and tell you that they have sites and one person I know got her externship almost a year later. I have a bachelors degree and still cannot seem to find anything- most places are now asking for 2-3 years experience, especially in CA.

Have you passed the ARDMS? Is it difficult? I heard that only 15% of all sonographers in CA pass ARDMS/ARDCS.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Laurel Collins in Los Angeles, California said: Wei, just please remember - they will tell you what you want to hear. There are students who are not being placed because they just don't have the sites! They especially do not have a lot of hospitals..which is the best training around. I think it was a huge waste of my time and money and I do certainly blame them for not telling me EVERYTHING! So many techs out there just shake their head at this school....there are just too many quality schools out there that are RESPECTABLE....

You are definitely right. But, there are only several CAAHEP-accredited schools in the great LA area. I called Orange Coast College and Loma Linda University. Both require a lot of prerequisites and have to wait for at least two years to get into the two-year program.

Could you please recommend one or two? Is Maric College good?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

I honestly have not heard anything about Maric. So, I would definitely check them out...or put a post on here to see if there are past students looking at this forum. I mean, you can always take your chances with West Coast since you have a Bachelor's...but again, their reputation - their ultrasound program anyway, does not have a good reputation...and in my opinion? They are unprofessional...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Angie in Sacramento, California

78 months ago

Has anyone graduated from the Western Career College Ultrasound program in Citrus Heights, CA? If so, did you like it? Was it easy to find a job afterwards? It is not CAAHEP accredited but supposedly in the process.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

cyndie in Kihei, Hawaii

78 months ago

live in hawaii does anyone know of a good accredited ultrasound tech school

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Alicia Benitez in New Rochelle, New York

78 months ago

Hi, I currently live in New York. I was looking into Sanford Brown and met with an admissions counselor. They are requiring all students to take the $12,000 medical assistant program prior to taking the ultrasound technician program which is over $20,000. Dont fall for it. They just want your money & I dont even think they're accredited. I currently work in a hospital as a nurse technician and I spoke to an Ultrasound tech at the hospital asking where she went to school. She attended The Institute of Allied Medical Professions (they have several different locations throughout New York). She said she was able to take the ARDMS after one year of working as an Ultrasound technician.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

tamoune in Duluth, Georgia

78 months ago

iamp also have a campus in atlanta,georgia and florida. i hear they are trying to get their accrediation

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Kathy in Beacon Falls, Connecticut

78 months ago

Hi Sylvie.
This question is for you. Please tell me if you took the Ardms exam. you said you have your bachelors, please tell us a little bit about it.
Kathy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sylvie, San Diego CA.

78 months ago

Hi-- no I did not take the ARDMS because I was waiting until I got a job and got settled to study properly-- big mistake-- I am just applying now to take exam and have no idea how complicated it is. I cannot find a job anywhere and need ARDMS ASAP...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lucas C. in Beverly Hills, California

78 months ago

I went to West Coast Ultrasound at the Beverly Hills campus. They had no problem placing me at USC and afterwards I applied and started working as an echo tech at Cedars Sina. The school has RDMS teachers and a good selection of clinical sites in California. I would and have recommended several of my friends and they seem happy. I disagee with most of the negative comments made by Laurel Sullivan.
Lucas

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Jake Conner in Beverly Hills, California

78 months ago

I am a current student at West Coast Ultrasound, I switched from American Career College in Norco and I am so happy I did. I attended ACC for 5 months and left because the school is ran like a business and not like a school. The school is owned by a "business man", and you could tell by being there. The one thing that set West Coast aside from the other schools I looked at is that EVERY teacher could scan, and scan well. In fact even the owner of the WHOLE school is an amazing scanner, and the ONLY thing that matters in this field is how well you can scan. If you can scan well you will never find a job no matter what school you go to. There are a lot of negative comments about the school on this page, but most are from the same person. Don't let something you read on the internet influence your decision about what school to go to. Visit them yourself and ask a lot of questions. I went though a lot finding the right school for me, if you have any questions I could answer about my personal experience feel free to email me LonnieJConner@yahoo.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (8) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

I am one of many - they may place echo techs quickly, but what I have heard about their general ultrasound now-coming from people working at the school? They do not have enough clinical sites for the number of students they have. Echo may be great - I did not take that, so I can only speak for the general ultrasound program. It's all fine and dandy how well you can scan, but if you graduate from a school-and do not have a job lined up with your externship site? Good luck...they are not accredited for you to take your boards..the field is getting tougher...unaccredited schools are looked down on...PERIOD-call the ARDMS or ask any tech out there in the field and a credible hospital...without accreditation, YOU HAVE TO WAIT A YEAR TO TAKE YOUR BOARDS-that's if you can find a job-nothing negative about this, this is just to get across to people, really look into every program out there! Programs that you do not have to pay 30k and are highly regarded! If you read thru some of the other posts, there are other West Coast graduates on here...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Jake Conner in Beverly Hills, California

78 months ago

There are only a FEW schools in california that are CAAHEP accredited and im pretty sure none of them are trade schools. West Coast is accredited, just not by CAAHEP. I could really care less where everyone goes to school but the people on this site need to get the facts together before they give out in accurate info. The simple fact in the field of ultrasound is this IF YOU CAN SCAN YOU WILL HAVE NO PROBLEM FINDING A JOB NO MATTER WHAT SCHOOL YOU GO TO. I am taking general ultrasound at west coast and I have 3 months till I go on externship and I have been offered a few spots at really good hospitals. As far as sitting for the ARDMS, you just need to work in the field for one year and you are able to sit for the exam, its really not a big deal. Im not saying West Coast is the best by any means but what I am saying is dont miss lead people because you had a problem with the school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Danielle, Los Angeles

78 months ago

West Coast Ultrasound does not have a very decent reputation and you can even ask them when you go to your clinical sites. I know of one clinical site for certain that does not want to take any more students from West Coast.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

I am sorry-go to ARDMS-call them - ask them their opinion on schools that are not accredited by CAAHEP. If you are one of the lucky ones to snag a job with your externship site, wonderful, but if you don't, you will have a tough time finding a job-and how well you scan will not matter in the least because they will not even consider you without registry or paid experience! Like I said, anyone who reads these posts - consider everyone's opinion and decide what is best for you - but I certainly would take to heart those opinions of those who have already GRADUATED, who were excellent students and still have not found work. Just something to consider.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

sandhya in Castro Valley, California

78 months ago

NDL in Duarte, California said: I am so glad I deferred my enrollment date at West Coast Ultrasound. I was going to attend the April 1st start at the Ontario site. I had thoroughly research this school on the internet without finding any defeciencies or complaints about this school. But one thing I didn't get a chance to do but wanted to do it was talk to actual students currently enrolled or that has graduated from this school. I have seen about 3-4 complaints about this school on this forum. I'm glad I have decided to take the community college route that is CAAHEP & JRCERT accredited programs. It may take a little longer; but, overall its accredited by those two and cost alot cheaper than West Coast Ultrasound.

How long does it take in community college and cost if you don't mind.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Scott Kennedy in Duluth, Georgia

78 months ago

I'm looking to enroll at The Institute of Allied Medical in atlanta or Sanford Brown, can anyone tell me anything about either school. I'm looking to know about clinicals and job placement. i'll be taking diagnostic medical sonography, are there many jobs in cardio?

thanks for anyones help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

NDL in Duarte, California

78 months ago

sandhya in Castro Valley, California said: How long does it take in community college and cost if you don't mind.

Sandhya,

It depends on which community college you are going to. The one I'm going to is a two year program that cost $3k - $4k. Definitely less than the private colleges.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Scott Kennedy in Duluth, Georgia

78 months ago

there waiting list are much longer. you have Emory & Grady hospitials & allied medical, who's located at St josephs hospital. It requires a loan at 30k.
but those are my choices. Is there anyone in atlanta who can help me?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

James in Los Angeles, California

78 months ago

Laurel Collins in Los Angeles, California said: I am sorry-go to ARDMS-call them - ask them their opinion on schools that are not accredited by CAAHEP. If you are one of the lucky ones to snag a job with your externship site, wonderful, but if you don't, you will have a tough time finding a job-and how well you scan will not matter in the least because they will not even consider you without registry or paid experience! Like I said, anyone who reads these posts - consider everyone's opinion and decide what is best for you - but I certainly would take to heart those opinions of those who have already GRADUATED, who were excellent students and still have not found work. Just something to consider.

I have to agree with Laurel Collins on this one. I went to an unaccredited school and am finding it really difficult to get a full time job. Even after doing 5 months externship at a big hospital, no one would give me an interview without the ARDMS license or 2-3 years experienced or graduate from an accredited program. I was one of 2 students lucky enough to go to a hospital for our extern, many of the other students got placed in clinics and imaging centers. Right now I am only getting about 15 hours of work weekly and this is after about 5 months of applying to numerous hospitals and facilities. As for the other student shes getting about 20 hours weekly and the job she got was through a connection from one of her friends, and this was also after about 6 months of applying non- stop. Yes, I know there are some people who are lucky enough to get full time jobs coming from unaccredited schools, but the rate of percentage that can't get jobs I say is around 90% and that is unacceptable. I can't speak for the Echo Techs as my studies were general and vascular ultrasound. In the end, the school is making the money here instead of the students, which is very unfortunate

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Sylvie in San Diego, CA.

78 months ago

Sharp Hospital (one of the biggest and the best) in San Diego has just changed the requirements recently. They require 2-3 years exp. and must be a graduate of an AMA approved program and AMA is in bold---same thing for other San Diego area hospitals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

If anyone else doubts what most of us are saying in this one thread, look at the others under ultrasound and see just how many people are looking for jobs-having gone to an UNACCREDITED school - how hard it is now to find work...it's nice that these schools inform their students that they can take the test after a YEAR - but they fail to tell students how difficult it can be to snag jobs to work for that year...we ALL were optimistic as students, but once out of school it is another story altogether...I was an A student, awesome scanner - this is not a bunch of slackers giving their two cents...I worked hard, went to school, paid a lot of money for something I cannot find a job in...again, hopefully you can get a job thru your externship, but I know many that did not and are still looking for work. Places are just not willing anymore to take beginning techs without registry...it is a LIABILITY..this coming from many hospitals I have applied to...and YES, they do ask me if I went to an accredited school...I had one tech even suggest that I scrap this school and go back to an accredited school...sorry, but these schools are definitely looked down on-again, call the ARDMS and get their opinion..I am sorry Jake, but you are the one who is misinforming people on here and you are the one who needs to get your facts right...it goes WAY beyond how well you can scan....

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

James in Los Angeles, California

78 months ago

Laurel, you definetly are telling it how it REALLY is. I was an optimistic student too just like you and figure I can get a job right after graduation, since I myself was also an A student and exceptional scanner.I was the top 2 students that graduate at the time and thats how we got placed at a big hospital versus the other students who got placed at imaging clinics.
As for the "IF YOU CAN SCAN YOU WILL HAVE NO PROBLEM FINDING A JOB NO MATTER WHAT SCHOOL YOU GO TO" crap posted by Jake,it is something that these schools will tell him and every other students. Look here, I was scanning about 8-10 patients daily while doing my externship and LEARN SO MUCH, and these are some of the most difficult patients you can think of, ranging from the obese(most Americans aren't exactly the skinny type) to the crazy inpatients(mostly geriatrics)to the frighten ones(coming through ER)that I can go back to school and scan the students with my eyes closed(and I'm being serious). Yes, you need to be able to scan to become an ultrasound tech, but without your ARDMS and coming from an unaccredited school, the hospitals WILL NOT or cannot hire you. It's as simple as that, maybe 3-4 years ago it was different, but now the only way to get into a hospital for a new grad is to either 1)Graduate from an accredited school or 2)ARDMS certified. There is no other way, TRUST ME. If you don't believe me, just do an online job search of any hospital in your area for an ultrasound tech position and you will know what we are talking about. My advice, if you don't already have your bachelors then stay FAR AWAY from unaccredited schools. As long as you have your ARDMS, you will get into a hospital as long as you can show competency in scanning when they call you for an interview. Not having your ARDMS and coming from an unaccredited school well.... you won't even get that call:( Comprende

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Aries45 in ontario, California

78 months ago

Jake Conner in Beverly Hills, California said: There are only a FEW schools in california that are CAAHEP accredited and im pretty sure none of them are trade schools. West Coast is accredited, just not by CAAHEP. I could really care less where everyone goes to school but the people on this site need to get the facts together before they give out in accurate info. The simple fact in the field of ultrasound is this IF YOU CAN SCAN YOU WILL HAVE NO PROBLEM FINDING A JOB NO MATTER WHAT SCHOOL YOU GO TO. I am taking general ultrasound at west coast and I have 3 months till I go on externship and I have been offered a few spots at really good hospitals. As far as sitting for the ARDMS, you just need to work in the field for one year and you are able to sit for the exam, its really not a big deal. Im not saying West Coast is the best by any means but what I am saying is dont miss lead people because you had a problem with the school.

Jake,
Is it true that you work for the school that you speak so highly of? I think the most important thing is that the school is not CAAHEP, and now in this time, that is all that Employers are looking at, if West Coast Ultrasound is so great, then what is the problem with getting the correct accreditation, you speak so hightly of them, what is the problem, is it not true that it cost 30,000.00 per student, you talk about ACC being all about the money, well people could say the same for them, because without accredidation there will be less students finding jobs, the truth is some students will find a job, but most won't

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Stuart Talley in Sacramento, California

78 months ago

Our office has been bombarded with calls from students attending unaccredited schools who want to pursue litigation. We currently have a case on file against Western Career College. Here is a link to a story about our case:

www.careercollegecentral.com/press-releases/20-students-sue-western-career-college/

However, note that the link to our website in the story is incorrect. Our site is actually located at kcrlegal.com.

Liberty Sands in Alta Loma, California

78 months ago

What are you talking about? I went to West Coast Ultrasound and I had a great clinical site and after two months of finishing my externship I got a job at a major Hospital as a General Ultrasound Tech. IT WAS NOT MY EXTERNSHIP SITE. I started sending out my resume during the last month of my externship. I asked for reference letters from techs I met along the way. I had three interviews and I was hired. I didn't have a BA either and I will be taking my ARDMS soon. Don't you dare try to discredit my
school. West Coast Ultrasound Institute did everything they said they would do for me and more. They gave me a great education.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Sylvie in San Diego, CA.

78 months ago

Liberty,
Where are you working and are they currently hiring at all? I am willing to relocate anywhere.
Thanks,
Sylvie
sylvieandsimon@aol.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Liberty Sands in Alta Loma, California said: What are you talking about? I went to West Coast Ultrasound and I had a great clinical site and after two months of finishing my externship I got a job at a major Hospital as a General Ultrasound Tech. IT WAS NOT MY EXTERNSHIP SITE. I started sending out my resume during the last month of my externship. I asked for reference letters from techs I met along the way. I had three interviews and I was hired. I didn't have a BA either and I will be taking my ARDMS soon. Don't you dare try to discredit my
school. West Coast Ultrasound Institute did everything they said they would do for me and more. They gave me a great education.

Liberty,
The rules have changed, now that Medicare is requireing that all techs or at least the labs be certified, employers are requireing registration or certification sooner than later, so yes you will be sitting soon, but how long ago did you attend WCUI and how many students did you acutally have in your class. How many times did you get to scan, I have several friends who attend WCU at this moment and all they talk about is not enough scan time, and they are weekend students, there are at least 60 weekend students and more each module,there are days when they only get to scan once, they are expected to be in the lab for 4 hrs and only get 30 min. of scan time. They put in all the extra time that they can, stay late, come early and they have even taken off there job to go on Fridays. Currently there is a problem with no sites especially for people that do not live in LA or the surrounding area.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Yelena in Kalamazoo, Michigan

78 months ago

Guys, check out this school (www.jccmi.edu). It is an on-line program and it is accredired. I went to school there and we had people in our class even from Hawaii. I had an awesome clinical site(specialized in high risk ob)and got hired right in after my clinicals, and so did our other student and four other students from previous years. I now passed my OB/GYN and Abdomen boards and going to take physics in a month. I'm trying to find a job in San Diego area due to my fiance being stationed there. There aren't that many jobs out there and it's scary.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

laopan in Van Nuys, California

78 months ago

It sounds like the ultrasound technician job market has saturated in california? how come i still see many job opennings? some don't even need you to pass the board.

check it out (160 job opennings in california right now):

www.indeed.com/jobs?q=Ultrasound+Technician&l=ca

who is misleading here?

laopan in Van Nuys, California

78 months ago

btw, laurel collins, wcui is claiming that you are not a graduate of wcui, but from a competitor of them.

who is telling the truth?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Nope, not a competitor, just wish to remain anonymous. I feel I can give my opinion along with other graduates on here-this IS what the board is set up for -to give opinions-I am not the only graduate or current student on here who does not have the best opinion of this school ...and btw, I have friends going into their externships and they have NO sites for them...laopan, try applying to those jobs on indeed-it may be registry eligible, but they want experience out of your clinical..see how far you get - because I have excellent references and a strong resume and have applied to every job I see..I have heard nothing. Hardly anyone is willing to take new techs-no experience, no registry - you are a liability. Just read thru all the other posts of students who are in the same situation - and not even with this school, but others just like it! I can by all means warn others that are seeking this career-make your life a lot easier and go to an accredited school that you can take your boards right away - because if you are not one of the lucky ones to find work right out of your clinical or a couple of months after, it will only be hurting you, not the school..good for those who have found work because there are MANY who have not.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

laopan in Van Nuys, California said: btw, laurel collins, wcui is claiming that you are not a graduate of wcui, but from a competitor of them.

who is telling the truth?

Please stop believing everything the school is telling you, they will say anything to keep you and make you happy. They will bend over backwards as long as you are a student because they do not want you to be unhappy, but they will turn on, I assure you they will and if they do not turn on you they will find another way to charge you more money, if you continue in the program just listen always keep your ears open without makeing it obvious you are listening, you will learn so much. They talk a lot in the hall when they think you are not listening, again you will learn a lot by listening and not talking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Anonymous in Claremont, California

78 months ago

I considered this career but agree with the person who said it's a saturated field. That's an accurate assessment. I talked to the admissions rep (a guy) at this school who gave me honest information. He even told me to check out other schools before I made a decision, which I did. I have friends who attended LLUMC who are not working and theyre supposed to be the best. So its not just this school. I researched schools and then I researched jobs for Ultrasound Tech and all of them said the same thing. Two years experience, or a minimum of 1 year in an acute care facility, ARDMS in at least two modalities.

When you visit these schools you get a tour. I have to give this school credit because they had more machines than the two other schools I toured. The staff was friendly and answered my questions. My gaol was to work at Kaiser and I asked if they placed at Kaiser. They told me yes but I called Kaiser and was told they have a contract with students from OrangeCoast College and not this school. My point is that you have to do your research before you enroll. Between my home and Los Angeles there are at least 8 schools offering Ultrasound. There are more students than clinical sites for all these schools. Less than half of students from each school will make it through to their goal.

You have to attend a school that is CAAHEP accredited with an AS degree and even then there is no guarantee you will get a job because you won't have experience required.

I had a friend who went to one of these schools for Pharmacy Tech four years ago and she got a great job, but now the PT jobs are like Ultrasound, saturated. I decided to go back to college and finish my BA degree in business. The chances of getting a good job are better. Look at the trade papers. Ultrasound programs pop up every month. With each new program your chances become fewer and fewer. These schools are competing for the same sites. One school is no better than the other. RESEARCH!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

And that is my point in all of this...I was told the same thing..plenty of clinicals with hospitals...not so.(and I was told the same thing about Kaiser - only to do what you did and call - I have heard they have actually called the school to ask that the students stop calling.)This isn't about how great the classroom and lab instruction is...I was an A+ student, so obviously I can study well and do well on tests to pass the course - but none of that matters once you are out of school! No book or basic lab course will help you because this is a hands-on field..you must be scanning or your skills will start to diminish...you need to be seeing that pathology! And every month that I am not able to find work, this career will become harder...that is what this school and others do not tell incoming students - they can have the greatest teachers in the world while you are in school, but your REAL learning is out in the field - ask how many techs out there how much they remember from their classroom time and lab - it is working with patients, radiologists, etc that mold you in this field - scanning is the only way to succeed, and again, if you found work? Of course you will not understand the frustration of graduating students who have not! But there are many of us who are more than qualified who are UNEMPLOYED and paying a 30k loan while the investors and owners of these school bank. I have a friend who has been a tech for a long time - she has tried to help me get myu foot in the door as well where she is...but I have to be registered AND theyu did indeed ask if I went to an accredited school...she said that when she wnet into the field, that question was rarely asked and even registry was not all that important..but she said times have changed...they are pushing all techs to become registered where she is and any incoming tech now should be registered and attend an accredited school...so yes, it is upsetting the school never relayed any of this information to me!

Lisa, L.A.

78 months ago

That is a very true comment that they will bend over backwards while you are a student. That's only while you pay them.

Giovanni Sacks in Los Angeles, California

78 months ago

I went to West Coast Ultrasound in Ontario and I had a great experience. Both in the class and afterward. I was able to find a job, a great job. The staff helped me find a job and were so helpful. I can't imagine how frustrated you are without a job after going to school. However, they are accredited and I sat for the boards. I don't fell that slamming the school is the right way to go. It makes me feel bad because I had such a great experience there, along with all the people I went to school with and continue to talk to. Finding a job in any career in this city is competitive... Just keep at it. You will find something. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

THEY ARE NOT ACCREDITED - only by the ACCSCT which amounts to nothing with the ARDMS! They are not accredited by the CAAHEP..the most important..you cannot sit for your boards unless you work for a year or you have a bachelors - of course it is competitive! Slamming the school is not what we are doing, we are giving our opinions and experiences for others to make the best decision - not everyone thinks highly of the school for reasons I am sick of explaining..just look back thru previous posts by me and others...the point is stay away from OVERPRICED, UNACCREDTED SCHOOLS!! I certainly wish I would have read thru boards such as this before signing on the dotted like with WCUI or any other unaccredited school..call up to the school and just ask why most of their students going into clinical are not going to clinicals at all-why do you think public schools have a waiting list??? Because they will not just take anyone, break your pocket book to make a book..they will not overpopulate their programs to make money! and then when the time comes for clinicals, not have anywhere to put those students..think about it? Why are these schools not accredited???

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Sylvie in San Diego, CA.

78 months ago

I actually enjoyed the whole learning process at West Coast Ultrasound Institute, but have found it impossible to get a job. I keep in touch with people that I graduated with, which wasn't the largest group and know at least 10 not working. Actually one of them is currently working for the school and she is just happy to have that job. We all talk about how hard it is to find employment. I am searching every day and remain optimistic, but truth is it is a very frustrating experience because I can't even get the interview.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Hope in San Diego, California

78 months ago

Has anyone hear about Institute of Medical Ultrasound in Atlanta, GA? I am planning to go to this school next year however, it's not accredited but it's fit my work schedule since this is an online program. I also do notknow where to look for good clinical sites?

PLEASE HELP!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

CC 29

78 months ago

FINALLY, STUDENTS FROM WEST COAST ULTRASOUND INSTITUTE ARE SPEAKING OUT!
When I was a student there I worked part time in the student placement department, so I knew what was really going on. Here goes...
The owner made us fraudently change and raise all the job placement stats so that they looked good
EVERYONE who ever applied was admitted to ultrasound or echo (as long as they could pay the 30K). It didn't matter if they had a high school diploma orpassed the admissions exam or could understand English at all

The owner changed all the teacher's grades so that everybody ALWAYS passed. She said if they flunk we have to give back the money. She told the teachers to make it so easy so nobody would fail. Former students, think about it. Did any of you classmates ever flunk out no matter how bad they did on their tests? I bet you can't name one. If EVERYBODY ALWAYS pass what does your A+ mean?

Some student didn't even come to class very often and they still got diplomas.

Students were promised anything and everything they wanted, top salaries, externships wherever and whenever they wanted, how easy ultrasound is to learn....

"Don't worry about getting a job, you can teach for us as soon as you graduate."

Sure they want you to be happy when your're there, so you won't complain or drop out. They'll promise you anything you want to hear. But after you've paid you won't ever hear from them again. All they care about is your money, no matter how friendly they are.
I don't think it's so important that the school is CAAHEP, but that the school you go to has a good reputation in the field. After a while the word gets out that ANYONE and EVERYONE can graduate from WCUI. Employerers will tell you they won't hire you because the school isn't CAAHEP, but it's really because you come from WCUI. At this point, I'm too embarrassed to say that I graduated from there.

Trust your instincts, if what they're telling you sounds too good to be true, it is

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Syndi Levin in Los Angeles, California

78 months ago

As a matter of fact I did not pass the course and did fail. I was dealing my grandfather's stroke at the time and couldn't concentrate or make it to class. Two years after I failed the class I called the school and they were nice enough to take the program again for FREE because they remember all I went through. This is a GREAT school and I highly recomend it! By the way, I work at USC now.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jessie

78 months ago

I had a phone interview with someone at Kaiser Hospital and the guy was so nice and told me they could probably get me in even though I was not ARDMS yet. I spoke to him a few times and he seemed willing to bring me in. He asked about my school and when I told him WCUI he told me he would check into it. I not only never heard from him again, but he would not even return my phone calls.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.