Florida Institute of Ultrasound

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 72)
Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

Divine in Treasure Coast, Florida

72 months ago

Does anyone have any information good or bad about Florida Institute of Ultrasound in Pensacola, FL?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

scanner in uhhuh, Utah

72 months ago

It's very hard academically. Below an 80 is failing. If your sum average of all your courses is below an 80, you are out. You are taught abdomen, ob/gyn, physics, echo, vascular, and some small parts. There are generally 3 to 4 very hard tests every week, with lots of homework, and you also have timed scan tests. There are 6 or 7 machines in the school which is fantastic. You scan practically everyday for the year you go to FIU, with them even opening the school to students on sunday to practice. However, it can be very disorganized in the scan rooms with students running in and out and generally only one scan instuctor. There are 6 months total of clinicals which is great experience also.
The bad part about FIU is that they are accredited, but not by the right agency so that students without a bachelors degree or a degree in allied health may come out and take the registry. If you only have an associates or lower, you will have to work in the field for a year before you become registry eligible. It is very hard to get a job if you are not registered, and that is only going to get worse as insurance companies are requiring sonographers to be registered in order to pay for the procedure.
Fiu doesn't offer job placement or help. And if you are planning to stay in the pensacola area, there are hardly any jobs in ultrasound because there are so many schools in the area. There are FIU graduates here without jobs.
I feel like I got a fantastic scanning education, we come out able to scan because we do it everyday under such a stict a grading scale, but it would be better if they had the proper accredidation for all students to be able to come out and become registered.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No Reply - Report abuse

Divine in Somewhere in, Florida

71 months ago

scanner in uhhuh, Utah said: It's very hard academically. Below an 80 is failing. If your sum average of all your courses is below an 80, you are out. You are taught abdomen, ob/gyn, physics, echo, vascular, and some small parts. There are generally 3 to 4 very hard tests every week, with lots of homework, and you also have timed scan tests. There are 6 or 7 machines in the school which is fantastic. You scan practically everyday for the year you go to FIU, with them even opening the school to students on sunday to practice. However, it can be very disorganized in the scan rooms with students running in and out and generally only one scan instuctor. There are 6 months total of clinicals which is great experience also.
The bad part about FIU is that they are accredited, but not by the right agency so that students without a bachelors degree or a degree in allied health may come out and take the registry. If you only have an associates or lower, you will have to work in the field for a year before you become registry eligible. It is very hard to get a job if you are not registered, and that is only going to get worse as insurance companies are requiring sonographers to be registered in order to pay for the procedure.
Fiu doesn't offer job placement or help. And if you are planning to stay in the pensacola area, there are hardly any jobs in ultrasound because there are so many schools in the area. There are FIU graduates here without jobs.
I feel like I got a fantastic scanning education, we come out able to scan because we do it everyday under such a stict a grading scale, but it would be better if they had the proper accredidation for all students to be able to come out and become registered.

Hi again, I have some more questions about the school. Can I email you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kha in New Orleans, Louisiana

70 months ago

Divine in Somewhere in, Florida said: Hi again, I have some more questions about the school. Can I email you?

I along with many of my friends went there and we all have well paying jobs now. It was rough at first because it was hard to get a full time job not being registered, but we got our foot in the door and we can't complain. In fact, I've come across a lot of sonographers in the New Orleans area that came from FIU. School was affordable and the city of Pensacola is very laid back. The instructors there know their stuff and taught us quality stuff if we wanted to learn it. The negatives were mentioned in the previous post. Overall I enjoyed my experience there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Kha in New Orleans, Louisiana said: I along with many of my friends went there and we all have well paying jobs now. It was rough at first because it was hard to get a full time job not being registered, but we got our foot in the door and we can't complain. In fact, I've come across a lot of sonographers in the New Orleans area that came from FIU. School was affordable and the city of Pensacola is very laid back. The instructors there know their stuff and taught us quality stuff if we wanted to learn it. The negatives were mentioned in the previous post. Overall I enjoyed my experience there.

Hi, how challenging is it to get into the school

Kha in Metairie, Louisiana

70 months ago

It wasn't difficult at all... call them up and ask to speak to Polly. She'll inform you of the core requirements. Things might have changed now... but I took a lot of basic classes (very basic) to get in.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

70 months ago

Kha in Metairie, Louisiana said: It wasn't difficult at all... call them up and ask to speak to Polly. She'll inform you of the core requirements. Things might have changed now... but I took a lot of basic classes (very basic) to get in.

Thank you for your help. I just have one more question, would you recommend working while attending the school?

Kha in New Orleans, Louisiana

70 months ago

As the person from Utah mentioned, below an 80 was a failing grade. Myself along with my other two roommates did not have jobs while we were in school. I know some of the girls that were local to the area did have jobs while in school... most didn't though. It's different for everyone.

tara in Milton, Florida

70 months ago

I am also looking at FIU. When I was pregnant, I noticed all the Sonographers at the OB/GYN center were graduates of FIU. I've also looked at Pensacola Junior College. I'm trying to figure out which is the better program. Does anybody have any insight? Thanks in advance.

scanner in uhhuh, Utah

70 months ago

Divine in Treasure Coast, Florida said: Does anyone have any information good or bad about Florida Institute of Ultrasound in Pensacola, FL?

FIU is a one year program offered through a private school. They teach abdomen, vascular, echo, and ob/gyn. Because it's private, it's more expensive. It was about $16000 to go for the year. There was 6 machines at FIU, (don't know if thats changed), so you get to scan everyday, and that's really important.
PJC is a two year program, and generally there is a waiting list to get in. They teach abdomen, and ob/gyn. Not vascular and echo. PJC is less expensive. Not sure how much is actually costs. I've heard PJC doesn't scan as much as FIU, but come out better prepared for the registry. I don't know that for a fact.
Hope that helps some.

scanner in uhhuh, Utah

70 months ago

Kha in Metairie, Louisiana said: It wasn't difficult at all... call them up and ask to speak to Polly. She'll inform you of the core requirements. Things might have changed now... but I took a lot of basic classes (very basic) to get in.

When I went, the college requirements were Biology with a lab, College Algebra, and Anatomy and Physiology. They enroll new students four times a year, so there isn't a waiting list or anything. I thought it was easy to get into.

tara in Milton, Florida

70 months ago

Thanks. I have my B.S. - I've experienced the private school financial ruin already. I'd prefer not to do that again. What I did notice is that neither FIU or PJC has the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs. Does anybody know how important this really is? I didn't know anything about it until I came across a job opening and this was a requirement. At your convenience.

srg in Gulf Breeze, Florida

62 months ago

tara in Milton, Florida said: I am also looking at FIU. When I was pregnant, I noticed all the Sonographers at the OB/GYN center were graduates of FIU. I've also looked at Pensacola Junior College. I'm trying to figure out which is the better program. Does anybody have any insight? Thanks in advance.

FIU to me had the better program. I just graduated from there and we had more overall scan time between what we got at the school and clinicals and scan labs than the students from PJC. Also, PJC's ultrasound program is not accredited, so even with the 2 yr degree from there you have to work in the field for the year after graduation before taking the registry whereas, if you have a Bachelor's degree or other health related experience you can take the registry immediately after graduation.

miranda in Tallahassee, Florida

60 months ago

i need some more info,wat do you need in order to go there?
im very young but its something i would like to do

newstudent in Pensacola, Florida

60 months ago

srg in Gulf Breeze, Florida said: FIU to me had the better program. I just graduated from there and we had more overall scan time between what we got at the school and clinicals and scan labs than the students from PJC. Also, PJC's ultrasound program is not accredited, so even with the 2 yr degree from there you have to work in the field for the year after graduation before taking the registry whereas, if you have a Bachelor's degree or other health related experience you can take the registry immediately after graduation.

r u sure i can take the regestry exam if i have bachelor degree with out experience.

MamaErin in Navarre, Florida

59 months ago

scanner in uhhuh, Utah said: It's very hard academically. Below an 80 is failing. If your sum average of all your courses is below an 80, you are out. You are taught abdomen, ob/gyn, physics, echo, vascular, and some small parts. There are generally 3 to 4 very hard tests every week, with lots of homework, and you also have timed scan tests. There are 6 or 7 machines in the school which is fantastic. You scan practically everyday for the year you go to FIU, with them even opening the school to students on sunday to practice. However, it can be very disorganized in the scan rooms with students running in and out and generally only one scan instuctor. There are 6 months total of clinicals which is great experience also.

Is there a book you recommend I start studying prior to starting at FIU? I have turned in my application and hope to be accepted! Thank you. Erin

59 months ago

srg in Gulf Breeze, Florida said: FIU to me had the better program. I just graduated from there and we had more overall scan time between what we got at the school and clinicals and scan labs than the students from PJC. Also, PJC's ultrasound program is not accredited, so even with the 2 yr degree from there you have to work in the field for the year after graduation before taking the registry whereas, if you have a Bachelor's degree or other health related experience you can take the registry immediately after graduation.

Do you recommend any particular book that can help me to begin to study on my own before I actually begin at FIU? Thank you. Erin

jamie in Milton, Florida

58 months ago

MamaErin in Navarre, Florida said: Is there a book you recommend I start studying prior to starting at FIU? I have turned in my application and hope to be accepted! Thank you. Erin

FIU is AWESOME I graduate in 3 months and have learned so much!

discouraged in Everett, Washington

58 months ago

i went to fiu. decent school. teaches you alot. but i think total of 6 months of book work. its kind of pump and dump. you have to study alot on your own for the registry...i'm still jobless however! they graduate so many students each year...

58 months ago

Hi there! Thanks for your post - what if anything does FIU do to help you secure a job? Is that part of it? Or does your time interning help you get a foot in the door? Thank you again for your information.

Needing a job in Everett, Washington

58 months ago

MamaErin in Navarre, Florida said: Hi there! Thanks for your post - what if anything does FIU do to help you secure a job? Is that part of it? Or does your time interning help you get a foot in the door? Thank you again for your information.

Nope. No Job placement. Interning just helps you learn and pass the courses. I enjoyed my time there even though it was tough. Graduated with a class of 18 and I think maybe 6 of us have actually RECENTLY found jobs. (graduated 6 months ago.) I think two of my classmates are going back to nursing school... I think the market is oversaturated..... I think FIU pumps and dumps there students too. But who wouldn't if you were making $16,000 off of every student? They do provide you with a good basis I guess...But with the economy being the way it is... I'm not sure if I made the right decision..

taytay24 in Virginia Beach, Virginia

57 months ago

I have been rading all the comments and questions,and alot of my questions have been answered,but i do have one,who makes more money radiographers or sonographers? I am movng to pensacola in dec and was wondering about that school too(FIU),it doesnt seem like pensacola has alot of schools down there for healthcare,is the healthcare jobs the same way,

I went to FIU in Sevierville, Tennessee

57 months ago

I have found over the years that sonographers generally make more than Rad Techs.......especially starting out. With that said there are alot of variables and of course finding a job is the difficult part these days. You have to consider speciality areas for both sonographers and rad techs when you consider their salaries as well.

57 months ago

THANK U FOR REPLYIN,So u went to FIU ,AND HOW LONG DID IT TAKE U TO FIND A JOB,AND DO U STILL LIKE SONOGRAPHING?

Nina in Midlothian, Virginia

57 months ago

Would those former students recommend FIU? If not, do you know any other schools that are good one year programs? FIU seems extremely intense and the first comment definitely gave me second thoughts on it now...

57 months ago

I went to FIU in 1995. My situation was much different in that my wife (at the time) had already finished the FIU program 4 years earlier and was already working in the field. She had three hospitals in Florida and more work than she could handle. I had already spent 5 years in college and my ex father-in-law suggested that I go to FIU (Ultrasound was never on my target screen as a career choice!) I went and arranged to do almost all of my clinical rotations with my wife and that gave me an extreme advantage with hands-on scanning because it was just my wife and I and no scanning competition. She has so much work that she was happy for me to scan. (She later developed many musculoskeletal injuries and had to quit the field of ultrasound within 10 years).
We had scan lab at West Florida Hospital in Pensacola and we were able to scan at FIU when there was time. I do not know who the instructors are now but we had great instructors in 1995. The radiologist owner was our physics instructor. He was well respected in the field of ultrasound.
Obtaining a job in 1995 was much easier and registry requirements were different. It was a little easier to qualify for the ARDMS registry in those days. Now the prereqs have changed and it is much more difficult. Also, with the economy the way it is.....the over saturated job market has become difficult to enter in the field of ultrasound. Registry is now "required" almost everywhere and the days of easily "obtaining" an ultrasound job are over.
I now live in Tennessee and there is supposedly an accredited school in Chattanooga, TN. We have a few of their students working at our hospital that went through the Echo/Vascular program but my understanding is that they rotate between offering Echo/Vascualr and DMS programs depending on interest. I think that program is only 1 year or slightly longer.
I am in my 15th year of ultrasound now and at one point in Florida I was working 4 hospitals!!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

When working 4 hospitals there was not much time for anything else and that will burn you out. I cannot say that I "love" ultrasound but the career has been good to me. It is hectic and stressful at times and the different demands placed upon you at any hospital are at times difficult. There are always clashes of personalities within the work place and differing of opinions that might cause issues. You will do useless exam after useless exam on patients that are a-symptomatic all day long or you will scratch your head wondering why you are doing diagnostic exams on 98 year old patients who don't even know they are in this world any longer. But....that is part of the great system we call HEALTHCARE at this time. Then there are times that you are able to find the answer to a patient's problem or you just happen to discover an early malignant tumor that a patient and their physician did not even know they had. Some patient's truly have problems and many of them search for a long, long time for answers. When you can help provide that much desired answer for them it makes you feel as if you have some sense of worth in the field of medicine despite all of the garbage that surrounds you daily.
As a male tech and a father (with one on the way) the OB exams sometimes give me a difficult time. Especially when there is a woman or couple who desperately wants a baby and has come to you in the middle of a miscarriage. You honestly feel terrible and helpless during those times because usually they know what has happened and there are no words you can say that will make them feel any better.
It's a ride that takes you over peaks and down through valleys. There are highs and lows but you work with some great people (usually) and have some interesting patients along the way. Enjoy the ride!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

ok so i have to ask you this ,im a military wife with a 2 yr son ,and i will be getting my degree for MA in nov,then moving to pensacola in dec i want to start at FIU ,but i do want to work ,do think work and goin to FIU is a good idea ,becuz it is so demanding.....

57 months ago

You would have to work a night job or weekends in order to go to FIU and work at the same time. I'm not sure how they do their scan lab and if it involves a week night like it did in the old days. Anything is possible but there is a lot to learn in a fairly short period of time and work makes that difficult. I don't remember many students who actually worked much when I was at FIU. I did not work at the time but luckily my wife was making good money as a sonographer while I was at FIU. One guy worked as a car salesman on weekends and he ended up dropping out of the program. You don't want to get behind and you cannot afford to make too many low grades on your tests considering their grading scale. That was the same grading scale we had in 1995 at FIU as well.
If anatamoy and physiology, medical terminology, and of course scanning a patient using ultrasound is all new to you then it takes time. Learning to scan properly is something that some seem to have the talent for and others seem to never acquire.
I can tell you this-----ultrasound takes time to develop scanning skills and knowledge. So many schools put out students that cannot scan a basic abdomen. As a student you have to be bold and want to learn how to scan. Standing there and watching will not teach you to scan. You must be assertive and take the transducer into your hand and scan every opportunity you can. If you are not assertive and your nature is to be passive and shy then ultrasound might not be for you. When you have a full schedule of patients, plus add-ons that doctors "have to have done today!", plus ER patients and extra in-patients ordered on top of those.....you must learn to scan fast and yet very efficient and accurately at the same time. That is something that is developed and will not come easily to some.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

57 months ago

U just dont know how helpful u have been,but i have another questions, what do u receive from FIU a degree and diploma?Oh one more ,how long did u go after u finished before u received your registery,and did FIU prepare u enough to take it

57 months ago

did u work while in school,and was there any scan labs in the evening?

57 months ago

I believe you also have to have 52 College credits to apply...unless you are transfering from another allied health profession. I think? It is a bit frightening to think of paying $16,000 and not be able to secure a job.

57 months ago

Believe it or not.......our program was only 6 months. Their goal at the time was to incorporate the 2 year program from Hillsborough Community College in Tampa, FL into a 6 month program with all general, vascular, echo, and physics combined. It was much more difficult on us to learn all of that in only 6 months time compared to the one year program they have now. Much of my success (as I mentioned earlier) was due to the fact that I had hospitals where I could work and had jobs waiting for me when I was finished. We earned a "certificate in diagnostic medical sonography". We also had a radiologist that was very "laid back" and was easy to work with and non-demanding early in my career. That made the job easier, less stressful, and allowed a better environment to learn. I cannot cay that about all radiologists these days!
Registry requirements were also different in those day and I avoided registry for a long, long time. We had to have at least a two year degree or be a RAD Tech before the would accept you into FIU in those days and I am not sure what the admissions protocol is now. One of the major reasons they went to a one year program in recent years is the fact that no one was hardly eligible for registry coming out of a 6 month program. We had to gain some work experience first. It was a different world in the 1990's. Registry was not quite as essential and we were given more time to gain registry. Hospitals were just happy to have ultrasound technicians and they overlooked the fact that you were not registered as long as the radiologists felt like you could scan they were happy.
I cannot comment on how well FIU prepares anyone for registry these days. You really need to look at the requirements listed by the ARDMS and CCI. Look at your own education and see if going to FIU will allow you to even take the registry once you are finished with their program.

boggles in Florida

57 months ago

MamaErin in Navarre, Florida said: I believe you also have to have 52 College credits to apply...unless you are transfering from another allied health profession. I think? It is a bit frightening to think of paying $16,000 and not be able to secure a job.

Imagine how I feel! My school is $34,000. They will finance-but will end up paying them $52,000. by the time it's all done (interest). I hear market all over Florida, for u/s techs is saturated!! It's rather a hefty price to pay, especially if the few jobs available are practically nonexistent, which is what I am hearing from recent grads. I used to think it was the boards I had to worry about. Turns out, looks like I will be worrying about finding a job after I pass the boards. Yikes! The the way I understand it from talking to sonographers, w/ and w/of years of experience, at the hospitals and clinics where I do my rotations. Seems newbies, if they are lucky enough to find employment, will get paid considerably less, compared to the experienced sonographer. I was even told by a sonographer who has been in field for 10 years now, that she had such a hard time because of the saturation of florida sonographers that after months of unsuccessful searching, she moved to the mid west for 4 years just to gain experience-she said the market, at that time, was not saturated in the mid west. After 4 years, she moved back to Florida, and because of her experience, had no problem finding a job. I guess I may have to consider relocating if things are really as everyone is saying. : (

Steph in Pensacola, Florida

56 months ago

Can anyone tell me about the PJC program? I am wondering if it will be easier to find a job after that program instead of FIU..
HELP:)

Steph in Pensacola, Florida

56 months ago

I really need advice because im currently at PJC waiting to get into the program, i've been waiting half a year already and still have until January. In the mean time i'm getting my A.A. because i'm finished with my pre-reqs for the Ultrasound program and i'm taking the HOBET in 4days. I'm still unaware if i'll be accepted in Jan and I cannot sit around and wait for another year so i'm considering FIU. Please help, any advice is great advice:)
Thanks. Stephanie

Palm Beach State in West Palm Beach, Florida

56 months ago

We are based in South Florida, but offer ONLINE courses in Medical Billing & Coding, to name a few.
Visit us at: www.PalmBeachState.info

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Sapphire in Pensacola, Florida

49 months ago

Steph in Pensacola, Florida said: I really need advice because im currently at PJC waiting to get into the program, i've been waiting half a year already and still have until January. In the mean time i'm getting my A.A. because i'm finished with my pre-reqs for the Ultrasound program and i'm taking the HOBET in 4days. I'm still unaware if i'll be accepted in Jan and I cannot sit around and wait for another year so i'm considering FIU. Please help, any advice is great advice:)
Thanks. Stephanie

Steph, I hope you havent started the Ultrasound program at PJC (PSC). They are NOT accredited & you will need like 1500 clinical hours after you graduate in order to sit for the regisry. Around P-Cola...thats impossible to get! PJC is just out for the $$$ & dont tell you this important info.

liz in Pensacola, Florida

47 months ago

FIU will help you find a job if you are willing to relocate!

sonographer in Jacksonville, Florida

47 months ago

Needing a job in Everett, Washington said: Nope. No Job placement. Interning just helps you learn and pass the courses. I enjoyed my time there even though it was tough. Graduated with a class of 18 and I think maybe 6 of us have actually RECENTLY found jobs. (graduated 6 months ago.) I think two of my classmates are going back to nursing school... I think the market is oversaturated..... I think FIU pumps and dumps there students too. But who wouldn't if you were making $16,000 off of every student? They do provide you with a good basis I guess...But with the economy being the way it is... I'm not sure if I made the right decision..

Hi,
I was looking to do the short term Echo/vascular program at FIU. I would really value your insight as you are an alumni. Could you please tell me how much scan time you actually get? More importantly how much time do get to scan on actual patients at a clinic or hospital? Do all the students have clinical sites? Also is it true that I can sit for my boards as soon as the program is over?--because the ARDMS website is asking for 12 months clinicals. I have my Bachelors and I am also a reg. sonographer (AB&OB).

Steph in Milton, Florida

45 months ago

Sapphire in Pensacola, Florida said: Steph, I hope you havent started the Ultrasound program at PJC (PSC). They are NOT accredited & you will need like 1500 clinical hours after you graduate in order to sit for the regisry. Around P-Cola...thats impossible to get! PJC is just out for the $$$ & dont tell you this important info.

I have not done that program at PJC..lol. Thanks for the information. I'm actually about to start at the university and get my bachelors in something.. maybe exercise science, then try out FIU. I've heard its hard to find a job in exercise science though but I thought it'd be easier to register after FIU with a B.S. in Exercise Science. ? any thoughts? Thanks:)

Stephanie in Mount Jackson, Virginia

43 months ago

sonographer in Jacksonville, Florida said: Hi,
I was looking to do the short term Echo/vascular program at FIU. I would really value your insight as you are an alumni. Could you please tell me how much scan time you actually get? More importantly how much time do get to scan on actual patients at a clinic or hospital? Do all the students have clinical sites? Also is it true that I can sit for my boards as soon as the program is over?--because the ARDMS website is asking for 12 months clinicals. I have my Bachelors and I am also a reg. sonographer (AB&OB).

Hello I am a graduate of FIU and I would just like to let you know that the teachers there are excellent! All of the students are assigned clinical sites by the clinical coordinator. The second didactic portion is Echo and Vascular and the last three months of the program is the clinical portion. During the didactic portion of the program, you will have classes from 8am-12pm (lunch for an hour) then scanning from 1pm-4pm monday-thursday this is the same. There was usually about 3-4 people to a room and your room can decide how long each person scans. Friday is all day scanning from 8-4. Whether you spend your time scanning vascular or echo that is up to you. I personally feel as though I received plenty of scanning time and teaching during the school year.
During the clinical portion, I was expected to pick up on how the tech did things and begin to introduce myself to the patient and start the exam on my own. All clinical sites are different but they are all out there to help you succeed. I definitely recommend FIU. Good luck on your decision making!

Stephanie in Mount Jackson, Virginia

43 months ago

sonographer in Jacksonville, Florida said: Hi,

Also, If you are already an US tech or have an allied health associates you are able to take the ARDMS registry as soon as you graduate. I did not have this allied health associates and had to work for 12 months before being able to take my registry. The physics registry you are able to take as soon as you finish the class, which is after the first 3 months of the school.

Lynda in Largo, Florida

41 months ago

Just to let you all know. FIU is an excellent ultrasound school. I completed the school in 1991 which was 6 months at the time and approx. $4000.00. Talk about "intense". We didn't have any US machines in the school at that time. We instead went out to clinical assignments and did rotation. It is great that they have equipment now but the clinical assignments really gave us great on the job training. I have now been doing ultrasound for 21 years. It is a great field but not quite what it used to be because of the restrictions and the over abundance of new techs in the field. I immediately got a job in Atlanta (very low pay) working for a vascular surgeon but it taught me a lot. I am registered in vascular. I have been doing vascular, echo, and general for 20 plus years but now they want you to be registered in everything regardless of experience so if I had to offer any advice it would be to get registered in everything you can and be willing to move to a different location if need be to get a job and to get your foot in the door. Good luck to all of you!

RVS in Sevierville, Tennessee

41 months ago

Lynda, didn't you have that old Diasonics machine at FIU back in 1991? Those were the good old days with Rob, Karen, and Dr. C !!!

Linda in Owens Cross Roads, Alabama

41 months ago

Lynda in Largo, Florida said: Just to let you all know. FIU is an excellent ultrasound school. I completed the school in 1991 which was 6 months at the time and approx. $4000.00. Talk about "intense". We didn't have any US machines in the school at that time. We instead went out to clinical assignments and did rotation. It is great that they have equipment now but the clinical assignments really gave us great on the job training. I have now been doing ultrasound for 21 years. It is a great field but not quite what it used to be because of the restrictions and the over abundance of new techs in the field. I immediately got a job in Atlanta (very low pay) working for a vascular surgeon but it taught me a lot. I am registered in vascular. I have been doing vascular, echo, and general for 20 plus years but now they want you to be registered in everything regardless of experience so if I had to offer any advice it would be to get registered in everything you can and be willing to move to a different location if need be to get a job and to get your foot in the door. Good luck to all of you!

Lynda,
Hey you! I think I went to school with you in 1991. I was just thinking of how long its been since we went to school and 20 some years sounds so long ago! I remember how good the classroom lectures and test were, although the tests could be so hard!! We had Rob, Karen and Dr. C. Especially liked our classes with Karen in OB and Hearts. I am now thinking about classes in MSK. I am registered in Abdomen and Vascular.
Anyway, good to hear you are still working in US and looks like you are in Largo now.
Good luck to all the new students on your choice of ultrasound and I also feel if you are flexible in moving for your job you will find employment.
Linda

Lynda in Largo, Florida

41 months ago

Oh my goodness. I think you are right! Yes it was Rob, Karen, Dr.C. and remember Darrell? I am still really good friends with Carol. She was the smiley face when we walked in. We see each other every year and talk at least 2 to 3 times a month. Carol and her husband Terry go to my mom and dad's house and stay and then go to the Critt's house. She is one of my dearest friends.
I hope you are doing well. I lost my job last month. They said that there was not enough volume and the economy was poor so they were closing my department (which I was in charge of). Arrggg! I have a real estate license so I will see what I can do with that.
It is so good to touch base with you. I spend as much time as I have getting this president un-elected next year. He has ruined the medical profession. We had two major doctors leave our practice because obamacare passed. That led to many people getting let go, including myself. Oh well...Take care. It is just a different world.
So good to hear from you and I am really happy that you are doing good. Please keep in touch girl. I remember how much fun we all had. We really made good friends.
Love, Lynda

Lynda in Largo, Florida

41 months ago

RVS in Sevierville, Tennessee said: Lynda, didn't you have that old Diasonics machine at FIU back in 1991? Those were the good old days with Rob, Karen, and Dr. C !!!

Yes, I forgot about that old machine......Maybe on purpose..LOL I agree. I miss those days. We had the BEST teachers. It would be fun if we could all re-connect. What a fun class. Remember when we all went to Flounders Resteraunt for our graduation. Oh and Mguires. What a great time!

Lynda in Largo, Florida

41 months ago

I know that you all love ultrasound but you need to have a back up plan. The medical field that you think you love is not the medical field that I grew up with. I hate to be a downer but it is the truth. If you are young please just have a back up plan. Look in to other things such as sales. If you really want to do ultrasound as I did, be very willing to move. I did. You have to move out of your comfort zone. If you are in NYC then move to Texas ect. I wish all of you the best of luck. You will do well.

Linda in New Hope, Alabama

41 months ago

Lynda in Largo, Florida said: Oh my goodness. I think you are right! Yes it was Rob, Karen, Dr.C. and remember Darrell? I am still really good friends with Carol. She was the smiley face when we walked in. We see each other every year and talk at least 2 to 3 times a month. Carol and her husband Terry go to my mom and dad's house and stay and then go to the Critt's house. She is one of my dearest friends.
I hope you are doing well. I lost my job last month. They said that there was not enough volume and the economy was poor so they were closing my department (which I was in charge of). Arrggg! I have a real estate license so I will see what I can do with that.
It is so good to touch base with you. I spend as much time as I have getting this president un-elected next year. He has ruined the medical profession. We had two major doctors leave our practice because obamacare passed. That led to many people getting let go, including myself. Oh well...Take care. It is just a different world.
So good to hear from you and I am really happy that you are doing good. Please keep in touch girl. I remember how much fun we all had. We really made good friends.
Love, Lynda

Lynda,
I'll try again. I had long reply, no longer than our previous ones and now it is not allowed, less than 200 characters! I would like to say I agree with your comment about healthcare and the cutbacks are everywhere, plus I think the u/s market is getting saturated with students right now, especially if you are in an area of new students graduating. Supply and demand, somewhat the same as nursing, but if you can be flexible, have a backup plan for awhile and don't give up, you can make it happen.
So good to talk to you again, wish we could exchange emails but don't know how to keep private.
Linda

Page:   1  2  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.