Mountain State University-regarding their diagnostic medical sonography online program

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 911)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Agib in Oceanside, California

69 months ago

Hello,
I was wanting to find more information about this university and if the program was a good one. Any feedback or details about the program would be very appreciated. I have searched high and low trying to find a good sonography program to apply to. I am a military wife who moves around alot because my husband is active duty, so I am looking specifically for an online program. I am checking Mountain State University out and wanted to get some feedback from past students or anyone who might have some up to date information about this program or any other synography programs. Thank You so much for your time. Any information helps.=]

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

Shannon in North Richland Hills, Texas

68 months ago

Hi, I am currently enrolled in Mountain State Pre-Dms program. I have about 2 semesters of pre-reqs to go. If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer. Have you enrolled, or are you just looking?

Shannon

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

vail100 in Braintree, Massachusetts

68 months ago

Shannon in North Richland Hills, Texas said: Hi, I am currently enrolled in Mountain State Pre-Dms program. I have about 2 semesters of pre-reqs to go. If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer. Have you enrolled, or are you just looking?

Shannon

How are the prerequisites are they hard? they told me i'd have to take 3 math courses, physics, a computer course and med terminology . Are you taking the classes online at MSU? Plus it doesnt guarentee you into the DMS program right? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

I will begin my pre-reqs on April 20th. They probably arent easy depending on the class. Med terminology should be ok for some, however, physics, A&P and of course online Algebra courses will be more difficult. Im taking Intermediate Algebra and Med Term 1 this semester (only 8 weeks). Then I should have A&P, physics, med term 2, and college algebra. The good thing is the semester is 16 weeks long, however, it is broken up into 8 week terms, so you only do 2-3 classes every 8 weeks, which makes it easier to focus on 1 or 2 subjects at a time. I am taking the classes online at MSU. They also offer free online tutoring for their students, so hopefully that will help me get through it.
Katy said there really are no gurantees, however, people who complete their pre-reqs with Msu have an advantage over those who just apply with their pre-reqs finished. Also, your gpas, plus the entrance exam percentage will determine the top scores to get into the online program, she said if you dont get in, wait 4 months and its likely that you will. As long as you make at least a C in the pre-reqs, you might have to wait a few months, but she didnt sound like there was a problem for students getting in.
But really with other programs you have even stricter requirements, Msu doesnt even consider if you have a healthcare background, its all dependent on your school work and the exam. Its up to you if you want to take the chance, but for me, its a good risk to take.

Shannon

68 months ago

Hi Shannon,

Thanks for your help I appreciate it. I already have a bachelors degree but not in the allied health field. I'm also a few classes away from my masters in kinesiology that is why i'm torn on which way to go. I'm really interested in sonography, i would like to have my masters in kinesiology and also have the degree in sonography...but would prefer cardiac sonography. I don't know, the whole thing is so confusing. Especially some saying if i have a bachelors already i should just go to a non accredited program because i can sit for exams right after graduating. I would prefer an accredited program. I find it very hard to contact anyone at MSU, they don't seem to return calls. Also i heard that some people had trouble getting clinicals their area which made me nervous.

68 months ago

Hey again,

I understand why you are torn! You will have to make the decision on whats best for you. I know money wise, sonography pays great, not sure about kinesiology, but Im sure if you have a masters, then it would offer a great salary as well. I guess the question would be why are you interested in Sonography? Do you want to get into a new field, are you interested in the money, etc. I could see why you would like to do both, you just need to decide if its worth the student loans and extra hassle of doing both.
If you do the bachelors degree program, like I am, then you will get the added experience of cardiovascular ultrasound, which includes vascular and echocardiography. Of course then you would sit for those exams to get credentials. But a consideration would be to go to an unnaccredited program because you already have the degree. You have a big decision to make! I would look at the costs of the unaccredited program versus msu, if the costs are more or equal, then I would consider the msu program, at least you could get the better quality for the money.
Because you have most of your classes, then you wouldnt have much longer to go, which is a thought. I have an Associate Degree, so luckily most of my pre-reqs are complete. Have you applied to Msu yet? I can suggest calling Darilyn, she knows quite a bit about the program. I talked to someone at the campus who said the dms program is so busy and popular thats why it takes some time getting a call back, who knows, but I was registered in time regardless of the wait.
If you call the main campus dms phones, they are messed up, wait for the message that includes Katy's cell number and call that, hopefully she can answer any questions, or lastly, contact Ashley in the Dms dept.
I talked to both Katy and Darilyn about the clinicals. They both stated that Florida and Washington State were the only 2 states they have had issues with clinicals, apparently they are flooded with unaccredited schools.

68 months ago

Hey,

I'm very interested in sonography...but more in cardiac sonography...and i don't think that msu has a specific program for that. The unaccredited programs are like 28K so they are not cheap either. The bachelors program is the only one that even touches on cardiac at MSU. Also what are the hours for clinicals each week...did they tell you any of that or even when you would begin them? I'd like to continue to work while i earn my sonography degree...do you think that is impossible to work full time while going to MSU full time?

68 months ago

Hey there!

You may want to call and ask about the cardiac sonography classes. The only thing I have heard is that with the bachelor degree program, you cover more topics, including some cardiac sonography. of course, I would call Darilyn or Katy to verify what credentials you can get with the bachelor degree program.
From what Ive heard the unnaccredited programs are about the same price, so for me, I can handle online classes so obviously it is easier taking the classes from home. I read another msu student post on here that stated she was taking the online msu program and she was doing clinicals 3 times a week about 30 hours a week. Not sure if thats what you start out doing. You begin clinicals the second semester of the dms program. So after you finish your prereqs, you take one 16 week semester or beginning book work on ultrasound and then the next 16 week semester you begin clinicals.
Personally, I think the online program is designed for those of us who work full time, but of course thats up to you and what you think you can do. In regards to the clinical times, I would also verify that with Msu, you might be able to do the clinicals around your schedule.

Shannon

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Thanks for all your help. I would prefer MSU because i'm not too excited on going the unaccredited route...just doesn't seem right to me to only have a diploma after 30K. I like the idea of getting a bachelors degree in the end. I've tried calling but seem to get through to Darilyn via email better...never get through on the phone. If they would allow me to do my clinicals part time when i go back to work...that would be great and i would sign up right now because the clinicals are my biggest worry right now. Although i think MSU is like 40K for the bachelors program right? They said the bachelors takes 30 months?

ABGibson in Oceanside, California

68 months ago

Hi,
I have not enrolled. I am a little nervous...I am still in the process or completing my associates. I am debating on if I should complete that before I even think of trying to get into Mountain State. I called and spoke to Ashley in the DMS office there, she seemed so helpful and told me if I wanted to send an unofficial transcript to them so they could look over it and see what I needed for their college, the DMS program etc. The real problem is that math isn't really my thing and I would be happy to take the pre-reqs with Mountain State online but I think in the math area I need to be with an actual instructor etc...So maybe the best thing for me is to complete my math classes on ground and than after those are done look into Mountain State more thoroughly...So all there pre-reqs for the program are online? This seems like the way to go...I'm just nervous about what move to make. Its a huge decision-obviously all of you already know about! =] Anyway I appreciate any information about Mountain State I'm definetly looking into their college, it seems really on top of things so far anyway.

Thank You!

68 months ago

You should do whats best for you. I have my associate degree, do I understand how important it is to complete something. I guess really the question is, is sonography your career choice? If so, then you might want to get on that path as quickly as possible, or at least make sure that you are doing some of the pre-reqs they require in your associate program and that they will transfer over. The good thing about the math pre-reqs at mountain state is that they want you to take basic algebra, intermediate algebra and the college algbra, so that you will have a better chance of passing. While math is hard, the msu program offers free online tutroing through tutor.com and if you take the basic algebra and intermediate first, that should really help you with college algbra. Another thing to consider is that sonographers use math and physics often in their work, so really the algebra is just a stepping stone into physics and ultrasound physics, etc.
You should probably ask yourself if your fear of math is really an anxiety that will disapate once you understand it or is math truly something that is very hard to conquer. Either way, online classes are more difficult, but if you have a great support system and take advantage of the tutoring offered, Im sure you can do it! However, you could always consider completing the math on campus so you do have that one on one instuction, just make sure msu will take the transfer credits first, so you dont waste your time.
All of the pre-reqs and program classes are online, so yes, you can do it all from home with the exception of the clinicals.
I understand what a huge decision this is both academically and finacially! So you should take the time to think it over and Im sure you will make the best decision for yourself. You can always call and ask Ashley anything else, Im certain she will be happy to help.
Shannon

68 months ago

vail100 in Braintree, Massachusetts said:

I agree, I would prefer to have a degree to show for all my work at the end of it all. I dont know whats going on with the phones there, apparently there is a problem with the phone extensions? Who knows, regardless, I have found email is best with Darilyn also. The bachelor degree will be a bit more, of course because there are more requirements. However, if you do have any pre-reqs, you get charged the online general education fee per credit and you only get charged the dms online fee per credit once you start taking the dms classes. From what I have read, the bachelor degree has 7 semesters at roughly 16 weeks each, plus your pre-reqs.

Shannon

68 months ago

Hey,

I think it's more fear of the unknown with math for me...once i learn it i will be fine. When i asked darilyn how much math was in everyday sonography she didn't know...but gave me the impression that it wasn't alot. I mean does a sonographer have to perform constant math equations to figure out sound waves? It's all on a machine isn't it?

68 months ago

Oh trust me, I understand, Im not mathmatician myself. I really couldnt tell you how much is used in everyday life, maybe you could ask a sonographer in one of the other forums. The only thing I have read is that the math is a pre-req to physics and then the physics and math are involved in the ultrasound courses, not sure how much. There might be an msu student who could help and answer that for you.

Shannon

68 months ago

Hi,

I know what you mean about how MSU has the 3 levels of algebra...instead of just throwing you into the hard course. I think that is part of the reason why i got lost in math because they did that to me in my undergrad. I think that taking them online and having online tutoring would be great. I emailed Katie to see if she could tell me how much math is in everyday sonography and also if is possible to do clinicals part time. I'll let you know if i hear anything. Thanks again.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

68 months ago

Thanks, I would love to hear the reply to those questions. If you dont hear anything soon, I would call Ashley, sometimes Katy doesnt email back soon.

Shannon

ANA in Bellingham, Washington

68 months ago

Good to hear i am not the only one having trouble getting a response back from MSU. I am very interested in the DMS online program, and wonder how it works. I live in Washington state which from what I've read is one of the states that has difficulty with the clinicals. As a full time mom, I can not attend a full time program. The MSU online program seems to be a better fit for me but I need to know how the clinicals would work? And where and for how long would I go to do them? Another issue after reading what others have posted is how do you get in the DMS program? What prereqs do I need before I will be considered. I have a B.A. in Psychology. Will they consider any of the classes I took nearly 20 years ago?

68 months ago

Hi,

Go to their website and look at prerequisites they have them listed and exactly what you need for credits for each subject. You can have a bachelors in any subject so psychology is fine...it's just that the prereqs are required if not in a healthcare field. I'm not sure about the clinicals i'm still trying to find that out...it's impossible to get any answers out of them. If i find out anything i'll post it on here. Good luck.

Vicki

68 months ago

ANA,

I would recommend looking at the required pre-reqs to see what you may need. I would also suggest calling the transcript evaluator to see if you would have any issues with classes transferring because of the age. I dont know much about that, but I called the transcript evaluator and she was able to help me with my credits. I would also try calling Darilyn, she is the one to call if you havent really applied yet.
Regarding the clinical sites, that would be something to talk to Katy about. She told me that those two states had issues with clinical sites, however, it might be just a certain part of the state, I dont have the details on that. Also, I cant answer about the clincal times and how long because I havent started myself, I think someone is going to ask Katy about clinical times, so keep checking back. The only thing I have read is where someone stated they were taking 30 hours of clincals 3 times a week, of course who knows if thats later in the program or not, you would have to ask.
When you apply to the program you have to give a list of 5 clincal sites near your home that you would like to work at, if they cant arrange those clinical sites, then I believe you would have to go to the closest place, but again, thats something you would need to discuss with Katy, or the Dms online clinical director (dont know her name.) From what the website states, the clincals begin the 2nd semester of the dms program after you complete the prereqs, so for the bachelor degree there are 7 semesters, 6 of which should include clincals and the semesters are roughly 16 weeks long, if that gives you a better idea.
All of this is on their website if you want to check it out. If you hear any info from the staff, please share for others who have questions. Hopefully those who register can begin an online support group for the program, let me know!

Shannon

qyandela in Blackwood, New Jersey

68 months ago

Shannon in North Richland Hills, Texas said: Hi, I am currently enrolled in Mountain State Pre-Dms program. I have about 2 semesters of pre-reqs to go. If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer. Have you enrolled, or are you just looking?

Shannon

I WOULD LIKE TO APPLY TO THE PROGRAM I HAVE TO DO MY PRE-REQS FIRST BUT IS IT HARD APPLYING FOR THE PROGRAM?

68 months ago

qyandela in Blackwood, New Jersey said: I WOULD LIKE TO APPLY TO THE PROGRAM I HAVE TO DO MY PRE-REQS FIRST BUT IS IT HARD APPLYING FOR THE PROGRAM?

Hey there!Actually, you can do your pre-reqs through the online program at Mountain State, in fact, if you do your pre-reqs through them, you will have an advantage when you are ready to apply for the actual DMS program. I am still working on my per-reqs, so I can only tell you what I have been told regarding applying to the DMS program. Maybe someone who has experience with that part will chime in here.
Basically, after you finish your pre-reqs with Mountain State, you take an entrance exam that is based on the pre-req courses. Katy, the DMS advisor, looks at your Mountain State pre-req gpa, your transfer gpa, and your entrance exam score (which is worth 15 percent or points of the calculation. The top 15-20 online students get accepted 3 times a year, if you dont get in right away when you apply, wait 4 months and you will probably get in the next time. I dont think it is a problem to get into the program as long as you pass the pre-req classes and the entrance exam is based on those classes, therefore; you should retain some knowledge to help you with the exam. I believe the course grade requirements are a 2.5 gpa in the pre-req classes (at least) to get you to the program. Also, if you have to retake a class because you didnt make a good grade, Katy will not count the 1st grade in your total calculation, she will only count the second one.

Hope this helps, you can always call MSU if you have any questions,
Shannon

67 months ago

Shannon

Hello Shannon, I've just applied for admission, I have to start with the pre-reqs first starting next month. How are you liking the program so far? Please keep me informed of your progress.

67 months ago

qyandela,

Congrats on making the first step! Im so happy for you! How many pre-reqs do you have left to take? Are you going through the Associate or Bachelor program? I actually am loving the online format so far and Im not even in the DMS program yet. I am taking 2 courses right now that will last 8 weeks and then I believe I will take 2-3 courses the following 8 weeks.
The pre-reqs Im taking arent the easiest and they do take alot of time, however, there is so much support and the textbooks are very easy to follow. To be honest, I am doing better in this online Algebra class then I ever did in the in person math classes. Now Im sure online is not for everyone, but if you can make it work for you, its definatly worth it!
Where are you from again?

I would love to keep in touch as well!

Shannon

67 months ago

Shannon, i just signed up, they are telling me classes don't start for me until june 22nd I believe. I took another online class at another college in NJ and I loved it. I'm gonna be taking 4 classes. I didn't do well at my last college the math I didn't do well at all. So now I'm trying to get my transcript which is taking for ever and my birth certificate. I had to mail away for that because I wasn't born in NJ I was born in NY. But I'm looking forward to this so much and the online line works for me. I'm from New Jersey, I read you were saying about an entrance test is that to get into the actual DMS class? Shannon actually with the pre-reqs and all, how long is the entire program? Please stay in touch!!!

Jackie in Atlanta, Georgia

67 months ago

Hello,
It sounds like Mountain State University is the way to go, but has any finished the pre-requits and are actually in the DMS program? Are there any graduates out there who can offer any feed back?

Jackie in Atlanta, Georgia

67 months ago

WOW I really need to proof read before posting :)

Houston

66 months ago

ABGibson in Oceanside, California said: Hi,
I have not enrolled. I am a little nervous...I am still in the process or completing my associates. I am debating on if I should complete that before I even think of trying to get into Mountain State. I called and spoke to Ashley in the DMS office there, she seemed so helpful and told me if I wanted to send an unofficial transcript to them so they could look over it and see what I needed for their college, the DMS program etc. The real problem is that math isn't really my thing and I would be happy to take the pre-reqs with Mountain State online but I think in the math area I need to be with an actual instructor etc...So maybe the best thing for me is to complete my math classes on ground and than after those are done look into Mountain State more thoroughly...So all there pre-reqs for the program are online? This seems like the way to go...I'm just nervous about what move to make. Its a huge decision-obviously all of you already know about! =] Anyway I appreciate any information about Mountain State I'm definetly looking into their college, it seems really on top of things so far anyway.

Thank You!

Hello I am Houston I am attending MSU online DMS B.S program I do find the math classes very hard but however there are online tutoring and some of the math classes there is virtual teacher which can help out alot I started out in DEC 08 by end of the summer I am going to around 24 credits the best way to about this program to start with AAS in DMS and than you can finish up your BS in about 10 month it takes about 2.5 years to have BS I have did alot seraching in this program and MSU is the one of the best beside YALE after finishing up you can go into alot areas in medical imageing plus MSU it is one the best I look for this program to become the best in the nation.

Housotn Donald

Judy in Las Vegas, Nevada

66 months ago

Hello, everyone

I'm a stay at home mom and I'm very interested in the program.
I just turn 30, and 2 or 2.5 years does not sound bad at all. I'm so nervous to go back to school but now that my son is in school, I don't want to waste time. I only have a couple of credits from college. So I really need help, I have a million ? should I take all the classes online, should I go see a counselor, where do I begin really?. Any suggestions anyone. I'm not getting any younger I have a little one that is 19 moths old and my goal is to finish school before she turns 4. I'm so ready Please help and thank a million in advance...........

Shannon in Hurst, Texas

66 months ago

Judy,

Hey there. This is the best time for you to go back to school. I am a stay at home mom as well and this program, although challaging, is very worth while. I would suggest talking to someone at MSU about your concerns. While it would be easier to do all the pre-reqs with MSU before the program, it can be quite costly if you have very few credits to transfer. The positives for taking your pre-reqs online with MSU are that you are given preferance over others when applying for the DMS program, also, you are able to maintain a good GPA with MSU while taking the course and you can get used to the format. I only have a few classes to take before I apply to the program and I cant wait. I think if you do have to take most of the pre-reqs, its only about a year or so until you are ready to start the program. Another consideration of course, is to complete a few of the courses at a local community college, however, you would have to make certain that the classes would transfer prior to wasting your time.
I think you have a great goal and just keep your eye on the prize so to speak and you will get there! The advisors for the DMS program are very helpful and they should be able to answer any questions you have.

Much luck,
Shannon

66 months ago

Shannon
Thank you so much for your time, I cant wait to be contacted by the school. I emailed them last week, but I have not heard anything. I will give it another day or two and I will also try to give them a call. I'm so glad that you are a stay home mom as well.I get nervous just to think that I have not been to school in so long. How are the math classes, math is my main concern.Thanks a million for time.

Judy :)

Shannon in Hurst, Texas

66 months ago

Judy,

No problem! I love this program so much that I want to help everyone I can. The school is probably a little backed up because online classes just started yesterday for this term (which lasts 8 weeks.) My suggestion would be to call and leave a message for Ashley, the DMS online secretary. She will call you in a few days and she might be able to answer your questions a little better. I believe she also has an email on the MSU directory, her last name is Coleman. I took Intermediate Algebra last term and I am starting College Algebra this term. The math classes arent easy, but as long as you devote time to study, you will pick it up. If you have college credits to transfer, that will depend on which math class you will take.
While the website says that College Algebra is the DMS pre-req requirement, they want you to take the pre courses to College Algebra in order to help you. Trust me, if I didnt take Intermediate last term, I would not want to just jump into College (which uses the same book.) For me, I had already taken Intro to Algebra at college, so I got transferred into Intermediate Algebra last term and College this term.
If you have no college credits to transfer and no ACT scores, then you will start out with Basic Math, then I belive Intermediate Algebra, and then College Algebra. They want you to succeed and really this is the best route for everyone. If you have taken your ACT or SATs then depending on your math score, you will be placed. You can get the details from the DMS secretary. Also, MSU offers us free tutoring online, so if you arent picking something up, you can utilize the tutoring.

Good luck and let me know how the process goes!
Shannon

66 months ago

Shannon,

Sounds good to me. Do you know of anyone that has finish the DMS program. I will give them a call. I apreciate all your time, keep me updated to see how everything turns out for you.

Thank, Judy :) -

Shannon in Hurst, Texas

66 months ago

I personally have not spoken with anyone who has finished the program. From my understanding, the DMS program online is fairly new, if you look at the website. So the graduates might not have found us yet. Give it some time, Im sure someone will chime in shortly.

Shannon

Houston

66 months ago

I feel like that MSU DMS program is the best in the nation beside Yale New Haven Hosptial which Yale is the top medical school in the nation. YOU must remember that you need to be registar with american asst in order to get registar as DMS after school there is site tells you about it i cant remember it. which i am taking immediate algeba right now which i will go into program after this class if make in the class. The best thing about the program you can earn a A A S in DMS and go back get BS in program.You have alot to think about what you like to specialist in the program is a lot more than just learning to a sonograph on aspecting mothers. I know one thing I very to be at MSU in this program plus you have the credits to contiue into a PA program Nursing Nuclear Med as well. MSU is the best program out there plus there isnt that many schools to offer a strong program in this area of medice.

houston donald

Houston

66 months ago

MSU has cetain dates for enrollment for the DMS program you got to make you the dates in order to get in and get start with the program. MSU and the department for the DMS is very busy the best way is to require imformation about the program by phone email and someone get back to you the way I got into the program I just apply to the school and than choose my major thats the route to go about it yes they do offer you to specialize in certain areas in DMS it covers than all.

Shannon in Hurst, Texas

66 months ago

Actually the DMS program accepts students 3 times a year. If you dont pass the entrance exam the first time, wait 4 months and you will more then likely be able to get in the next time around.

Houston

66 months ago

Shannon in Hurst, Texas said: Actually the DMS program accepts students 3 times a year. If you dont pass the entrance exam the first time, wait 4 months and you will more then likely be able to get in the next time around.

is the exam hard to get into the program

Shannon in Hurst, Texas

66 months ago

Im not certain exactly what you are comparing MSU too, does Yale offer an ultrasound program as well? There are many great sonography programs, however, MSU offers online and the requirements are a little less strict then most schools. I am going for the Bachelor Degree, if you go all the way then you will be specialized in more areas. Im not certain if you are aware but you need to have College Algebra as a pre-req before you can start the program. Maybe I misunderstood because the algebra class was misspelled, however, if you are taking Intermediate Algebra, you will need College prior to taking the enrollment exam for the DMS program.

Also! I would make sure you get all of your questions answered before just enrolling in the program. You want to make sure this is the right route for you before you make such a big investment.

Shannon in Hurst, Texas

66 months ago

I cant really comment on the exam since I havent taken it yet. However, Katie said that the entrance exam is based soley on the pre-req course info. So it should cover some of the material from the list of pre-req classes you need to get into the program. The test is worth, gosh, I think maybe 15%, its been a few months since I talked to her. The rest of the consideration is based on your transfer GPA and your MSU GPA. The combination score will determine the top 15-20 students who will get into the online program 3 times a year. Like I said before, she said that if your score isnt high enough, just wait a few months and you will probably get in the second time. Im certain there wont be much of a problem, however, because the exam covers all of the material we had to cover in pre-req classes. I wouldnt worry.

Alexis in Watertown, New York

66 months ago

Shannon,

How many pre-requisites can pre-DMS students take every 8 weeks?

Shannon in Hurst, Texas

66 months ago

Alexis,

You might want to call to verify with MSU, however, the DMS department pre-enrolls you in your courses for each term. You normally take only 2 courses per 8 weeks, however, some people can take up to 3 classes depending on their need and their program requirments. The 8 weeks flies by super fast and really its beneficial to only have to focus on 2 - 3 subjects at one time.

Hope this helps.

66 months ago

Shannon,

Your reply is very helpful. I have already begun the application process, and I can't wait to get started. I'm so excited about this!

Shannon in Hurst, Texas

66 months ago

Congrats! Im so happy you have found this program. I found it on this website after a very unhappy interview with Sanford Brown. I didnt want to give up my goal and MSU really offeres the best alternative to going to class in person. I like to answer any questions I can because this site was so helpful to me, also because the online DMS degree is so popular, the people in the office cant always call back right away.

Good luck!
Shannon

66 months ago

Shannon,

Believe it or not, I didn't even know about this program until I stumbled across your posts about it here on indeed!

I've been in contact with most of the ladies in the online-DMS office, and they were helpful as well. Fortunately I was able to speak with each of them on the same day that I called.

What classes are you currently taking? Have you taken A&P or Physics yet? I'm trying to get an idea of how difficult these courses are.

Shannon in Hurst, Texas

66 months ago

Im so happy you were able to speak to the ladies in the office. Hopefully you got most of your questions answered. Thats awesome that you were able to find out about MSU from my posts, thats exactly how I heard about it from the other threads.

Do you have a lot of transfer credits or are you starting your pre-reqs from the beginning? I am currently taking College Algebra and Med Term 2. Haha, the only three classes I have left to take are A&P 1 & 2 and Intro to Physics, so I cant comment on those, however, another classmate just told me that Intro to Physics is pretty hard. I will let you know when I get there, probably next term or so. I do know that Intermediate Algebra is a pre-req to Intro to Physics for MSU, so if you have already taken that, you might get into the class when I take it. The classes arent easy, they are just as challanging as in-person classes. The one positive is you get points for engaging in discussions and doing homework, more points then you would for just going to class. So it really makes up the difference if you dont do well on your exams.

66 months ago

I'm transferring to MSU with half of the pre-reqs already completed. I have to take A&P I, A&P II, Beginning Algebra, Intermediate Algebra, College Algebra, Intro to Physics, English Comp. I, and English Comp. II.

So I've got a while to go before I'm accepted into the program. But it's worth it!

Shannon in Hurst, Texas

66 months ago

You arent too far behind, some people start from the beginning and with the 8 week terms, you will have those knocked out in no time. Let me know if you have any math questions, Im not math expert, but I have taken the Intermediate, and now the College, so feel free to email if you need any help. Most of the teachers are super helpful though and Im sure you wont need much help at all. We might take some of the classes together, if you take A&P next term. It is worth it and the classes will keep you busy enough that you will cherish the little week breaks between terms. lol

Let me know how everything goes. Once you get into the program, I will give you my school email so we can keep in touch.

Shannon

66 months ago

Thank you so much Shannon!

How long did it take them to give you a class schedule, and student email after you submitted your application and college transcript?

Shannon in Hurst, Texas

66 months ago

No prob. It depends on the class schedule. First, you need to make sure you have done all the administrative stuff like mailed your college application, paid the 25.00 fee, got official college transcripts sent over-etc. They will send you a list of what they need. Once all that is completed and they have received your college transcript, they will determine what you will need, class wise, and what transfers. Then, once everything is received, they wait until the fall college schedule online is not out yet-to see how your schedule will be. Also, make sure you are applying for fin aid, if you need it. Once you have everything completed, and the fall online schedule it out, you will then receive a preliminary course schedule by email for the 8 week term. You have to sign the schedule and get it back to them.
I cant remember about the email address, if Im not mistaken, you get that once you have done everything with the school, send application and payments.

66 months ago

Oh okay, well that works out, because I've taken all of the steps that you mentioned, but I'm going to give them until the middle of next week to see if they have received my college transcript yet.

Thanks again Shannon!

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.