Online Accredited Sonography Schools

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 1033)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

DeniseH in youngstown, Ohio

89 months ago

I am looking at an online school in Michigan for an associate degree in Medical Sonography. Do you have any opinions regarding online schooling versus classroom setting? I work full time and have young children and find it impossible to do anything else! Will I be less employable earning my degree online? The school is an Accredited school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1258) / No (190) Reply - Report abuse

katb in Lake Winola, Pennsylvania

89 months ago

I am wondering how the school you are looking at is accredited. Where is it accredited from. If not Allied, then it is probably useless. I am in school now, almost finished, at an accredited school. It is alot of hands on. You have to be taught how to scan. I am also a mother who did work full-time but sacrificed this past year some work hours for school. It is by far easy, but definitely worth it! Good luck with your search :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

DeniseH in youngstown, Ohio

89 months ago

The school is accredited with Allied and I found out that they hook you up with a local company that teaches you that hands on part.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (83) / No (19) Reply - Report abuse

cynthia dipierro in Southgate, Michigan

89 months ago

what online school is it? Im also looking.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (37) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Linda

86 months ago

Mountain State University also has an accredited online diagnostic medical sonography program. They offer certificate, associates and bachelors.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (106) / No (29) Reply - Report abuse

Pam in Duluth, Georgia

86 months ago

I am interested in getting my degree in Sonography, but do not know where to find an accredited school in my area. If anyone knows of an accredited program in the Gwinnett County area of Georgia, I would be so grateful!

Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (139) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

tamoune in Duluth, Georgia

86 months ago

iamp.edu. has a sonography program. grady hospital in atlanta,georgia.sandford brown institute

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

tamoune in Duluth, Georgia

86 months ago

Grady only teaches advanced level in sonogram. iamp.edu does not. call them or search their website for more information. You can also try sandford brown institute. in atlanta,georgia on hammond drive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Roseleine in Atlanta, Georgia

86 months ago

Has anyone heard of anything good about Sanford Brown in Atlanta, GA?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (34) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Scott in Houston, Texas

86 months ago

Roseleine in Atlanta, Georgia said: Has anyone heard of anything good about Sanford Brown in Atlanta, GA?

I believe the Atlanta campus is one of the infamous bad locations that is also not nationally accredited. So in my opinion you would be far better off waiting for something else, even if there are waiting lists.

People say finding work without the ARDMS cert, or the ability to sign onto the registry's is extremely difficult.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Scott in Houston, Texas

86 months ago

Actually, I'm wrong it is accredited. I'm not sure why I thought this one was one of the ones that wasn't. In that case, if you dont have the community college route avaible (to long of a wait list, impacted, etc) and are unwilling to relocate. I'd look into the SBI there.

Start with www.ripoffreport.com, and look for that location on there to see if other people have had bad experiences there.

Yahoo answers works great for locating former students of a particular campus.

And I always suggest talking to the director of Ultrasound at the school and requesting a list of hospitals they work with for your externship. You are always welcome to call them up, and find out what that hospitals clinical cordniator thinks of your potential school.

It's a lot of money no doubt. For me it's going to be by myself 60K (35k for the school, the rest for living expenses) or so to do the entire program, and live out here in TX. (I'm from Cali). But all the local schools were I'm from have 3-4 year waiting lists. And time is money.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No Reply - Report abuse

Roseleine in Atlanta, Georgia

86 months ago

Sanford Brown here in Atlanta and many other cities in the United States are on that list of rip off. I read from other forum about the school and how awful it is. You just confirm my gut feeling about Sanford Brown Institution. I might just apply to Grady Memorial Hospital here in Atlanta and try an online school that is accredited too.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Mason in Rego Park, New York

86 months ago

I'm very interested in training as an Ultrasound Technician. I live in Queens, NY. Can anyone recommend a school/program nearest me?

If it's accredited, I'll look at an online line program too.

Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (76) / No (20) Reply - Report abuse

athomemom in Jonesboro, Georgia

85 months ago

Does anyone know the price at Sanford Brown Institute in Atlanta, GA? I am interested in the sonography program but I have heard nothing good about that school. I also called and they won't give me any prices over the phone. Is it worth it to go to the school or not? Also, I'm an at home mom and I have three kids-one in school though, is the program extremely hard or is it managable?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Danielle in Rocky Mount, North Carolina

85 months ago

DeniseH in youngstown, Ohio said: I am looking at an online school in Michigan for an associate degree in Medical Sonography. Do you have any opinions regarding online schooling versus classroom setting? I work full time and have young children and find it impossible to do anything else! Will I be less employable earning my degree online? The school is an Accredited school.

What is the name of this school? I believe it is a great idea!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Yuleima Toledo in Miami, Florida

85 months ago

I'm very interested in training as an Ultrasound Technician. I live in miami, FL. Can anyone recommend a school/program nearest me?

If it's accredited
how I know this is a good school is good and I won't be waiting time and money

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (40) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Michael Compton in Camp Lejeune, North Carolina

85 months ago

I'm stationed in camp lejeune, NC and I wanted to get my associates in sonography but I cant seem to find a good acredited online college. Because i'm in the service I dont have the time to go to a nearby campus. Also, because I joined the Marines right after High school, I don't have any idea what to look for in a college to know that I'm getting a good education. Any Help would be greatly apreciated

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jen in APO

85 months ago

I don't see how you could possibly do that. My husband is in the AF and there is no way he could also go to U/S school- even online. From the very beginning I've been doing at least 32 hours of clinicals a week, I don't know how that would work with being in the Marines. Maybe if you could work @ night?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

jackie in Garden City, New York

85 months ago

Mason in Rego Park, New York said: I'm very interested in training as an Ultrasound Technician. I live in Queens, NY. Can anyone recommend a school/program nearest me?

If it's accredited, I'll look at an online line program too.

Thanks.

please let me know if u find one b/c im looking for 1 in nyc.
jacqueline241@aol.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Mason in Queens Village, New York

85 months ago

as soon as I get a response, I'll spread the word.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

jackie

85 months ago

the called me already email me for the info
25k for 16 month program its a little steep

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Wilbur in Hollywood, Florida

85 months ago

Has anyone ever heard of Washburn University? They offer Ultrasound, Vascular and Cardiac sonography programs online. www.washburn.edu/sas/ah/vascular-sonography/
Their website states that they are CAAHEP accredited. The cost is really not that much.

Wilbur

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Will in Hollywood, Florida

85 months ago

RDMS tech in Atlanta, Georgia said: If you would like to try an online ultrasound training program, consider the Institute of Medial Ultrasound in Atlanta, Georgia (USA). Their website is www.imultrasound.com to get more information.

I have been impressed with the students I have worked with who have trained there.

They are not CAAHEP accredited. I would stay away. I think you work for this school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

RDMS tech in Atlanta in Atlanta, Georgia

85 months ago

Some of the info flying out here is not consistent with the reality of job opportunities, or obtaining your RDMS. The danger of getting your knowledge from a blog is you have opinions, not necessarily based on fact.

There can be concerns about a school that is not CAAHEP accredited. However, has anyone asked does it preclude one for sitting for their registry exam? Isn't getting your education all about clinical exposure, and being able to become registered at the end of the day?

My good fellow, I don't work for the school, but I have trained their students, as well as students from Sanford Brown. They are head and shoulders above students from Sanford Brown., and we have hired their graduates over those from Sanford Brown.

Being in the field may give me an edge over your outside perspective. I have mine, and am only trying to help others in search of the same. One can go to Sanford Brown where they will get a high pressured sales pitch, yet not reveal to you that they are not CAAHEP accredited for all of their training programs........

My understanding from being in the field is that ANY student who has graduated from an ultrasound school, who had a prior college degree or at least 2-years of allied health training is eligible to sit for the registry exam, and if they pass will be RDMS. This is my understanding why the admission criteria and subsequent students at IMU have fared much better than the Sanford Brown students, who may not have any college background.

So I do know a little bit more than the average candidate, and I suggest that any of you who are trying to join this club get your facts from pointed questions during your application process…..not random opinions from those not in the know.

And to be clear, I do NOT work for IMU, or any other ultrasound school.

Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Pam in Sioux Falls, South Dakota

85 months ago

Does anyone know of a school around Sioux Falls SD?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Scott in Houston, Texas

85 months ago

RDMS tech in Atlanta in Atlanta, Georgia said:

Part of the CAAHEP process is that they check the schools hospital affiliations, and rather or not they will get good clinical training there. CAAHEP also sets the minimum standard of curriculum that the program must use for all it's students to get at least a specific level of education.

I would hope the majority of people interested in the field of DMS have spoken with other sonographers in real life, as well as ones they have met in person. The majority I have spoken to, and would imagine most people have talked with already, would and should say that it's very important to go to a school in which you can sit for the exam immediately upon graduation.

Although you are entitled to your perspective, and not even so much that your wrong, you cannot generalize all programs or even cities. The reality is, you are far more likely to find work upon graduating in MOST large cities if you are RDMS. There are MANY people on this site who have gone to non accredited programs, and are struggling for months and sometimes years to find steady work just so they can sit exam. Let alone some people who have gone to non accredited programs and failed the exam many times after finally getting enough hours to sit for it. (Although, to be fair I have heard people claim that they passed it because of the experience to)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Scott in Houston, Texas

85 months ago

(Continued)

Should also note that the cost of Vocation schools rather accredited or not are the same. Roughly 36K is the going standard throughout the United States. Why pay that much for a program, that you can't even sit for the registry exam afterwards? Some would argue that paying 36k for a program that is eligible is already to much.

As for Sanford Browns CAAHEP status, if your looking for general diagnostic Medical sonography (Which the majority of people here seem to be), the Atlanta location is ARDMS. As is the Dallas, Houston, etc locations. I assume people would research the accreditations before singing up.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

busy mom in Grand Rapids, Michigan

85 months ago

DeniseH in youngstown, Ohio said: The school is accredited with Allied and I found out that they hook you up with a local company that teaches you that hands on part.

Denise,

I am also looking into a school for ultrasound tech but I can't seem to find any close to home in Michigan. What online school were you looking into? Did you start the program? Do you like it?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Jenny in Orlando, Florida

84 months ago

I'm looking for an ultrasound tech school in central fl. I recently talked to a school called central Florida institute and found out that they aren't accredited school for ultrasound.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

melva crutch in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

84 months ago

Hi everyone,
I have a BA and i decided for a career change. I was a passed nursing major, so i wanted to get back into the health careers. Im really really interested in becoming a sonographer.
Im from Ft. Lauderdale and in the next 6 mths im going to be moving to the St. Louis area. I was looking at Sandford Brown Fenton camp. but its like 36k (way to much for me). I looked at St. Louis comm. college and they have like a 2 year waiting list.
Im trying to find another accredited program in the st. louis area or a good accredited online program thats not to costly
If anyone can offer me some great, helpful advice about programs in the St. Louis area or online please respond.
Thank you
Melva

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

LizM in Dahlonega, Georgia

84 months ago

DeniseH in youngstown, Ohio said: The school is accredited with Allied and I found out that they hook you up with a local company that teaches you that hands on part.

Can you tell me what school this is so that I can look into it? Thank You!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

cece atl in atlanta, Georgia

84 months ago

I am looking into a school that is not accredited, but they say I will be able to sit for the ARDMS test after a year. Does anyone have any advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Marie in Roswell, Georgia

84 months ago

I am thinking about attending Sanford Brown in Atlanta next year. It is Caahep accredited and I think there reputaion is changing. I enquired about the school a few years ago and it was high pressure selling. None of that happened when I went there a few months ago. It has a job success rate of 90% when 3 years ago it was barely 50%. They have way more students in the program now as well. I am still worried about the cost and am worried that when going for a job that someone who went to a community college will get the job over me despite Sanford being caahep accredited. I think its bad reputation is going to take some time to go away. I also have a 1yr old daughter and going to SB will work for me because of the evening program. I just wish it wasn't so damn expensive!! I think it was around 36,000 when I went there a couple of months ago. He did mention about doing a medical assistant course first but I said no. I have the hope scholarship so I am doing the 45 college hours required. Plus, there medical assistant programs aren't caahep accredited and are a waste of money in my opinion.

melva crutch in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

84 months ago

what is the hope scholarship, what the requirements, and how much tuition does it cover

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

The hope scholarship is available to residents of Georgia that have a 3.0 and above and attend a public institution. It covers 100% of tuition.

Professor X in Santiago, Dominican Republic

84 months ago

Yuleima Toledo in Miami, Florida said: I'm very interested in training as an Ultrasound Technician. I live in miami, FL. Can anyone recommend a school/program nearest me?

If it's accredited
how I know this is a good school is good and I won't be waiting time and money

Hello Yuleima and all other interested future ultrasound students! If you are looking for basic and advanced training in abdominal and peripheral vascular ultrasound, please keep me in mind. I can help you become prepared for the competitive world of ultrasound. The training I offer is directly with patients and can be in groups or in private- you choose what method of learning you'd like. If you have little time, I can give you crash courses in abdomen and peripheral vascular ultrasound. For more details, please reach me at charles.segovia@gmail.com.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Tab in Atlanta, Georgia

84 months ago

Roseleine in Atlanta, Georgia said: But I read some awful things about Sanford Brown. I guess I don't want to be trapped in a school that only worry about the $$. Can you also suggest any online school that is accredited to. I have a 7 month right now and I live in Buford so I know that I won't be able to make it onsite of the schools.

I went to Sanford Brown in hopes of getting into the sonography program. Only to find out that I had to be a medical assistant first. So I did that. Then after I go there for 14 mos. and finish the MA program and give them $11,000...I find out that you have to have 16 additional college credits before getting into the sonography program. Not to mention that its $35,000 and they arent even accredited!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Sanford Brown in now Caahep accredited. Go to the caahep website and you will see them listed alongside Grady, Medical college of Ga, Coosa Valley and Ogeechee technical college (may not be spelt correct). I told them I wouldn't do the medical assistant course. It is cheaper and better to just do the 45 credits at a community college than go through that course. The Medical assistant course is still the "scamming" part of Sanford Brown and I don't think it is acredited plus even if it was you can't do much with a medical assistant degree. Other accredited programs are Coosa Valley technical college, MCG, Grady and Ogeechee. (The ones listed on the caahep site.)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

Remember...not all Sanford Brown schools are accredited. The one in Atlanta is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Wasted Money in Atlanta, Georgia

84 months ago

How did you get the HOPE Scholarship if Sanford Brown is a private school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

I don't have the HOPE for Sanford Brown. I have the HOPE for a public community college that is part of the University system in GA. I am doing my 45 credits there before I apply to Sanford Brown. Sanford Brown offers no scholarships.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lauren Jones in Ontario, California

84 months ago

Hello. I am very curious about this field. I wonder, Can anyone tell me how long a typical Ultrasound program lasts? Does anyone know of a good school in, around or near Ontario, CA. that is accredited by the ARDMS?
Is there really steady work out there for an ultrasound technician?
Can I go out there and work in this profession in 1 year?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

84 months ago

If the online school is JCC in Jackson - they don't hook you up with someone local to teach you. Your clinical site teaches you and it is within a 2.5 hour drive from your house. I had to sell my house and move to the clinical site. You have no say in where you go - it is where they are able to get someone to take you. Good luck!

Caitlin in Apo

84 months ago

You CAN sit for the registry w.o a job if you have a Bachelor's degree, or an associates in allied health. I have a BA, did a non accredited (working towards accreditation) 12 month program, and passed the registry right after. 2 months after that I was hired.

84 months ago

Yes. You CAN sit... if you have a BA but most schools are allowing students to enroll not telling them that upfront.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Scanr in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania

84 months ago

I came across this post while looking for degree completion programs online- I have been a registered sonographer for almost 16 years-DO NOT use Sanford-Brown or Ultrasound diagnostic school!! It is a rip-off!! I went there 16 years ago and was very lucky to have an excellent clinical site, and they trained me and then I had to wait 2 yrs to take the registry due to the non-accreditation of the school. I was one of the lucky ones. Graduates of these schools are Not sought after! I tried several years ago to get a BA in Health Arts, but Ultrasound Diagnostic School did not have any formal records and the classes were not accredited and did not transfer. Now i am hoping that with my registries i am able to get going onto a degree program. So please, check out your community college programs. Sonography is a very demanding career, it's not all pretty babies and happy people. It is tough work that can be rewarding, but you must have the proper clinical training to do it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No Reply - Report abuse

Lauren Jones in Ontario, California

84 months ago

Thank you so much for your informative reply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Danielle in Deltona, Florida

84 months ago

I'm wondering if anyone have any information on Central Florida Institute? I see some of their programs are accreditted by CAAHEP but not DMS. They are accreditted by ABHES and they tell you that you can sit for the registry testing. The school is 20,000 and before I invest that much I wanted to know you all thoughts. Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Hjl in Dallas, Texas

84 months ago

Has anyone ever graduated from one of the online ultrasound programs (ie: Jackson community college or Mountain State University)? Did anyone have difficulty w/thier clinical sites? I'm definitely not familiar w/how colleges set up clinical sites that are not local. I'm skeptical despite their CAAHEP accredation.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kate in Apo

84 months ago

I graduated from an online school (not one you listed) and was able to get a job immediately following. I don't know about these schools- but mine ensured a clinical site before classes started. I didn't have to do much, just give them a list of possible sites, and they did all of the calling and planning. They let me know about a week later where I would be.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.