SERIOUSLY, WHERE IS THE MONEY AT?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 146)
Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

ckimpton0206 in Orange County, California

78 months ago

it really depends on your experience and qualifications. a new hire w/o a registry might make $19-25 an hour. Someone w/ my experience w/ 5 + yrs exp and multiple registries makes in the mid 30's. It just depends, you have to set yourself apart from everyone else.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

bethieaa in Pennsylvania

78 months ago

Has anyone gone through the program at CCAC in Pennsylvania? I am doing my prerequisites for the program and wanted to get any information about the program. Thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Amber in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

78 months ago

CCAC very good program...I have trained many students from there! I live and work in Pittsburgh

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Beth in Jeannette, Pennsylvania

78 months ago

Where are you training the students at? Any info you can give me on ultrasound would be very helpful..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

I am an ultrasound Technologist at Childrens HOspital of Pittsburgh...We get students from CCAC all the time

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Do you have an idea of what the salary is for a tech in Pittsburgh (entry level)?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (38) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Yes...like $15 an hr! It's horrible!!!!! Go to Cali...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

What?? That's it? I thought it was way higher than that..Does it get better the longer you work?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

ckimpton0206 in Orange County, California

78 months ago

entry level in cali is no better. they wont even look at you w/o oodles of experience. honesly, you want entry level you have to hit the urban areas that will start you at $25, and train you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Not really..I have 10 years exp. and only make $20..Let me know if you find anything different in the pittsburgh area!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

78 months ago

Wow, I thought it was alot higher than that. I haven't even started the program, justing taking the prerequisites right now..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Dirk in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

78 months ago

I am a tech in Pittsburgh and make 28.00 per hour. with 10 years experience. CCAC's program is a good "accredited" program. You should do well there. If you want to make a lot of money.........MOVE to a state with few Ultrasound programs. They will throw all kinds of cash at you. Good luck!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Dirk in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

78 months ago

By the way, right across the border in West Virginia they pay 20.00 per hour right out of school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

CM in Miami FL in Hollywood, Florida

77 months ago

I am just trying to find out what is the best career to get into these days, especially with the economy so bad, you kind of have no choice but to do something that is definitely in demand. I have been pondering on becoming an Ultrasound Technician, not really my cup of tea... but, nonetheless, I am interested to know if its a good field. I hear it's good pay but eventhough I may not be 100 percent sure I want to do it, is it one of those careers that I will grow to love? I realize there will be lots of direct contact with patients, Is it stressful? Does it require lots of or minimul supervision? Does it have flexible hours? Most importantly is there some kind of comfort or easeness to this position?

Any Ultrasound Techs please reply
thanks alot

CM

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (33) / No Reply - Report abuse

rebecca in cali in Thousand Oaks, California

74 months ago

I started a tech school a month ago and now I hear that my class is not an acredited class I will have to work for a year before I can take the state exam ....Will I beable to find a job doing this if my DMS program is not acredited but the school is? Anyone? help

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Stace in Los Angeles, California

74 months ago

Amber in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania said: Yes...like $15 an hr! It's horrible!!!!! Go to Cali...

Hi There...do you know what is the entry level salary in CA? Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bobbie in Valley Stream, New York

74 months ago

VANESSA in New York, New York said: SALARY RANGE FOR NEW YORK ULTRASOUNS TECHS IS...? DOESNT SEEM LIKE SALARY.COM IS ACCURATE

Eastern Long Island Per Diem $33.40/hr
Nassau County Per Diem $29.00/hr

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Raksha in Rego Park, New York

73 months ago

I just finished my ultrasound externships and am about to take my Ob/Gyn Ardms in november.. Any tips?
What would be a good state to move into for a well paying job in this field with no past experience (entry Level)?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cynthia rambert in Hicksville, New York

73 months ago

Bobbie in Valley Stream, New York said: Eastern Long Island Per Diem $33.40/hr
Nassau County Per Diem $29.00/hr

would like to try this school

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Maya in Oakland, California

73 months ago

rebecca in cali in Thousand Oaks, California said: I started a tech school a month ago and now I hear that my class is not an acredited class I will have to work for a year before I can take the state exam ....Will I beable to find a job doing this if my DMS program is not acredited but the school is? Anyone? help

I graduated from a non accredited school for ultrasound about 3 years ago, and have been trying... diligently to get into the field. I haven't had much luck, and I can't seem to find an employer who will take me as entry level, and from a bad school. I may have to start all over again from an accredited school. I am determined to get into ultrasound. let me know if you have any luck.

Maya

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ashlee in Cleveland, Ohio

73 months ago

I have decided on becoming and ultrasound tech and I read what the questions and answers all where and they are all diffrent.

I want to know how much you make in Ohio?

Sould I go For four years or two?

And is the test you have to take very diffcult?

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Dina in Cleveland, Ohio

73 months ago

Is the test hard?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Dina in Cleveland, Ohio

73 months ago

I have a couple questions.

What's the pay for Ohio?

Should I go to college for two or four years?

And is that test diffcult?

THANKS!

ano in New York, New York

73 months ago

[QUOTE who="ultranewbie in Half Moon Bay,

In NYC we have a lot of foreign doctors who choose not to take the doctor boards but become sonographers. It is very difficult to compete against them for a job. They know anatomy inside and out, have years of pathology experience and only need to learn how to scan. Very frustrating

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

ultranewbie in Half Moon Bay, California

73 months ago

yes, but that's where a person with a hospital/x-ray background has the advantage...I am on a sonography team of 5 foreign doctors..4 from Russia, 1 from Iran, but i have Navy Corpsman, x-ray, angio, and cardiovascular experience..i've worked in (Foreign) and american hospitals..we are in a "high-end" clinical setting..It's been obvious at my facility, that these doctors aren't used to really touching, working with difficult/hanicapped patients or moving patients..but they love to tell the patients "I am a doctor"..

another disadvantage of these doctors is: the hand and eye coordination with ultrasound. Plus, the physics and imaging aspects..we lost 3 doctors in our ultrasound school after the first 2 semesters..it depends on the college you attend...and the the clinical rotations..the school i attended was highly accredited in the state of CA, and tough as nails..

All 5 of these doctors came from an unaccredited school..They have several years of experience as sonographers..and i have less than one..whenever, i receive compliments from the radiologists, they don't say anything..but if one of them finds a pathology, they crowd around patting each other on the back..

Because of my training and the college i attended, I found i could work with the most difficult radiologist the moment i came on-board...(of course they didn't tell me this, the rad, did)...

Whenever there is a difficult patient, or a "hospital" type patient that comes in for a dvt, or upper extremity U/S...or a 525# lb patient, patients that are incapacitated, etc., i'm the one they call on to do the exam..and i have less than one year experience in ultrasound..but several years of hospital experience..

Many of these "doctors" have no "imaging" experience..Thus, they ask me to read the CT scans, MRI's, angio's and mammo's before they have to do a f/u case..So, you'd be surprised at how much of an advantage you actually have..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Maya in Oakland, California

73 months ago

what school did you attend in CA? Did they require prerequisites?

Anna in Middle Village, New York

73 months ago

Ashlee in Cleveland, Ohio said: I have decided on becoming and ultrasound tech and I read what the questions and answers all where and they are all diffrent.

I want to know how much you make in Ohio?

Sould I go For four years or two?

And is the test you have to take very diffcult?

Thanks

Hi Ashley. Go to www.caahep.org, type in your state and the program you are interested in to see what schools are accredited. I don't know about Ohio, but here in NY, hospitals really don't want to hire anyone who graduated from an unaccredited school. You become a liability risk to the hospital, and the problem with graduating from an unaccredited school is that you have to work full time for a full year before you qualify to sit for the ARDMS exams. Also, I've noticed that there are more and more hospitals asking for Bachelor's Degree in Science. Getting a Bachelor's Degree is never a bad idea. You will have more opportunities available to you in case you want to get into supervisor positions, etc. Good luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

i went to foothill college..the waiting list is about 4 years from what i'm hearing..it's now a 2 year college..

Certainly, not for the faint of heart..The clinical instructors are tough, plus there's the "p" word.."Politics".

you should have an x-ray or medical background before starting...especially in this school..the academia is intense, yes..but the clinical instructors expect you to know other modalities, i.e., CT, mammo,MRI and nuclear medicine..they aren't going to teach you how to read those images prior to doing an exam..

I will say this, everyone who's come into our class touting their Phd's, and MD's never made it..We had 3 psychologists, 4 marine biologist (Phd's), and 3 maybe 4 doctors from other countries..

They did great with knowing pathology, but to see it on ultrasound, and trying to image the pathology, and other correlations with it...they couldn't seem to put it together..

the physics also threw them for a loop..the Phd's and 2 MD's flunked the first semester..

At the end of your education, you immediately take all 3 of the boards...

I had a tough time finding work, after i graduated...it was the politics i didn't work well with..usually, you work where you rotated..but my areas of rotation were so dysfunctional, i decided to try elsewhere...so i worked registry, then was taken on-board fulltime at another institution..but you really have to be on top of your game if you take that route..

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

ano in New York, New York

72 months ago

ultranewbie in Half Moon Bay, California said: yes, but s

This is the opposite to the situation I have experienced. Many of the doctors already scan in their own countries, they just need a formal qualification here. THe others had no trouble scanning and getting the registry. I guess there are good and bad doctors everywhere. The ones that taught us scanning were fabulous

72 months ago

Wow ano! i wish i worked with them! you're very lucky..The doctors we have here that are scanning - have been scanning in their own country for many years...They had to wait to sit for the boards because they all went to the same unaccredited school..

Also, New York is a place, i don't believe they have room for slouches as sonographers, or doctors for that matter...From what i'm gathering, you have quite a few "big name" hospitals and colleges there..

Here in California, it's pretty laid back, and i'm sure the competition isn't as high as in New York..I went there once, many years ago, and had problems just keeping up with folks just walking down the street!

NorCalMom in California

72 months ago

ultranewbie in Half Moon Bay, California said: i went to foothill college..the waiting list is about 4 years from what i'm hearing..it's now a 2 year college..

I have been trying to find information about Foothill. I guess you missed the thread I started asking if anyone went there. So, the waiting list is 4 years long? The website still says it's an 18 month program, not 2 years. How difficult is it to get in? What about the satellite program in the North Bay? Thanks for any info you can give.

ultranewbie in Hayward, California

72 months ago

yes, it's a long waiting list for foothill..and the director is very strict on entrance..if you don't have a medical background, i think you are supposed to have a masters degree in your field..

The length of the school was 15 months..but will be extended due to excessive curriculum..

it's tough to get..if you have a hospital background, especially x-ray, that is a plus!

San Jose Student in Windsor, California

72 months ago

ultranewbie in Hayward, California said: yes, it's a long waiting list for foothill..and the director is very strict on entrance..if you don't have a medical background, i think you are supposed to have a masters degree in your field..

The length of the school was 15 months..but will be extended due to excessive curriculum..

it's tough to get..if you have a hospital background, especially x-ray, that is a plus!

Foothill requires that you HAVE to have the x-ray part first, right? So, does that mean the radiology part of the program is easier to get into?
Is that also a 2 year degree, making the whole thing 4 years to get through, not including your GE? I'm not sure I understand. I'm attending De Anza College now with the intention of transferring to Foothill for this (these) course, but not sure if I will be accepted.

mymia in Houston, Texas

71 months ago

Anyone know what the actual start out pay for a Ultrasound tech is in houston texas? Salary.com is 58-65k YR ???
I have read all kinds of things it all says about that amount.... I just need to know from someone already doing this! lol

BOB in Coraopolis, Pennsylvania

71 months ago

You can't expect to make top salary out of the gate, and with your first employer. 99% of new grads, mostly from a two year school, need to pass their registry exam and gain valuable experience. UPMC in Pittsburgh, PA starts off at only 17.66 an hour. You will make money in this field only if you are willing to make it work for you. Techs making 58K a year are usually in a supervisory position or have fought in the trenches and came out on top. Usually at a different hospital. Vascular and echo always make more especially if you go private practice which most want experience. Also, shift differential plays a huge part in salary.

71 months ago

Hi Bob in Pa...You're hospital offers shift differentials? Does that mean you have the option of working overnight? Here in NYC, the Unions prevent sonographers from working night shift on a regular basis. NY songraphers work the usual 9-5 shifts. However, there's "on-call" shifts, and then you get paid "on-call" pay, which includes "beeper time" which is usually higher than regular pay, and from what I understand, you get paid per patient you are scanning: $100 for the first patient you scan and then $25 per patient afterwards. After you're finish scanning all the people you have to, you go home and then if they call you in again, you get that $100 for that patient, and then the same $25 per patient afterwards. This is what my professors who are sonographers said is the case here in NYC. It's interesting how things change depending on the state. Also, the starting salaries here in NYC is $50k right out of our school. My professor said that the average salary for a student who graduated from my school last June was $56k, (depending on the hosptial some started at almost $60k and others started at $50K, and the rest got somewhere in between, but the lowest was $50k). But I guess that's because the cost of living here in NYC is so ridiculously high. So I guess if we compared the cost of living with NYC and Corapolis, Pa the salaries would be comparable. How long have you worked in the sonography field? I just started my program in Sept. Happy and healthy Holiday to you and everyone on this forum!!! :o)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

T in Levittown, New York

71 months ago

Anna, where do you go to school?

71 months ago

Hey T...I go to SUNY Downstate in Brooklyn. I just started there this September and am finishing my first semester. Holy cow! This semester has been a doozy! I'm only going part-time but man, oh man...it's hard! I'm hoping next semester will be easier than this one. Downstate's having an open house Monday. Call them and find out the specifics if you're interested in learning more about the school. :o)

Lys

71 months ago

Anna in Middle Village, New York said: Hi Bob in Pa...You're hospital offers shift differentials? Does that mean you have the option of working overnight? Here in NYC, the Unions prevent sonographers from working night shift on a regular basis. NY songraphers work the usual 9-5 shifts. However, there's "on-call" shifts, and then you get paid "on-call" pay, which includes "beeper time" which is usually higher than regular pay, and from what I understand, you get paid per patient you are scanning: $100 for the first patient you scan and then $25 per patient afterwards. After you're finish scanning all the people you have to, you go home and then if they call you in again, you get that $100 for that patient, and then the same $25 per patient afterwards. This is what my professors who are sonographers said is the case here in NYC. It's interesting how things change depending on the state.

Hi Anna,

Im so glad youre happy at Downstate :)!! If I got paid like that on call up here, I would take a LOT more call. My call pay goes like this...time and a half per call in, for 3 hours. If I get called to do one patient, then they say I have another one, Im still on that time and a half. That means get in, get out. If I finish those, clock out then get called back in, I get another 3 hours pay time and a half. After 4 years, its not worth it to me, honestly. Call gets old really quick. When youre new to the field and you want to make the big bucks, go right ahead. I took other peoples call who were happy to give it up. Now I am happy to give mine up to others who want it and who want the money. Its nice to know you will get a full nights sleep after a while. Now I understand when recruiters were saying "No call!!" how sweet those words are.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

abt in San Diego, California

71 months ago

Stace in Los Angeles, California said: Hi There...do you know what is the entry level salary in CA? Thanks

After only 1 year experience, the hospital I work for started me at 37 and hour. and I work nights and weekends, so it comes out to being over 40.

LAH in Griffin, Georgia

71 months ago

I am in the Atlanta area and we are a medical "meca" with several very good hospitals here and ways to get training.

I hear that sonographers with only one year under their belt and less are making over 80K. In fact I know one in Nevada (Las Vegas area) that is making 84k and she is in her first year of fetal research. Granted she took some extra training for the fetal research cert. but let's face it 84k is nothing to sneeze at!

Anyone heard of Sanford Brown Institute in Atlanta? That is where she went. I toured there and hope to start class in April 09.

Write back - anyone ??

71 months ago

Hi LAH. You're lucky, the SBI in Atlanta is an accredited program. Here in NY, none of the SBI's are. But unless you see someone's pay check stub, don't believe what people are telling you they are making. I find it very hard to believe that someone just coming out of school making $84k a year. People here in NY don't make that and we make an average of 20% higher than the national average, due to the cost of living. But if they did get that kind of salary, that's fanatastic. I know that's where I want to be when I graduate. Most people here in NY generally start at around $50k until they get experience. Either way....good luck in getting your education. :o)

confused in Fullerton, California

71 months ago

The schools that I live next to are Cypress college and Orange coast college. Does anyone have information on them? Orange coast has a 4 to 5 yr waiting list, it's first come first serve. I applied at Cypress this year and didnt' get in :( . I also have a BA in Psch. I just found a school in Delray, FL that JUST got Accredited this last month on CAAHEP. The school is called: Iamp(institute of allied health professions)..what a lame name huh? anyway, I'm willing to move there..bc getting in seems real simple(letter of intent, personal interview, two ref, high school dip) but I wonder how good they are. Not that I know about the school in southern california either. If anyone knows about Orange county schools or Fl school that I mentioned above plz help..I wanna know before I move across country for sonography!! especially drag my fiancee with me I'd feel horrible if it doesn't pan out right. I wish I could go to Foothill but I have no xray or nursing degree. I'm in total panic bc I would like to have children someday but being in my mid30's ..I feel like I have to choose between school or babies...

Marta in Ridgewood, New York

71 months ago

Anna
I am thinking about your school mi Brooklyn SUNY.Do you know is it hard to find job as a sonographer in NY?

krs in San Diego, California

71 months ago

confused in Fullerton, California said: The schools that I live next to are Cypress college and Orange coast college. Does anyone have information on them? Orange coast has a 4 to 5 yr waiting list, it's first come first serve. I applied at Cypress this year and didnt' get in :( . I also have a BA in Psch. I just found a school in Delray, FL that JUST got Accredited this last month on CAAHEP. The school is called: Iamp(institute of allied health professions)..what a lame name huh? anyway, I'm willing to move there..bc getting in seems real simple(letter of intent, personal interview, two ref, high school dip) but I wonder how good they are. Not that I know about the school in southern california either. If anyone knows about Orange county schools or Fl school that I mentioned above plz help..I wanna know before I move across country for sonography!! especially drag my fiancee with me I'd feel horrible if it doesn't pan out right. I wish I could go to Foothill but I have no xray or nursing degree. I'm in total panic bc I would like to have children someday but being in my mid30's ..I feel like I have to choose between school or babies...

Go to Sanford Brown Institute-Houston. I'll be there next September. I tried Cypress and OCC as well. IAMP is 45k and SBI is 38k

71 months ago

Hi Marta. You're in Ridgewood? You're just down Myrtle Ave from me. lol. I don't know what the job market is here in NY. I'm hoping that it'll be okay by the time I get out. Downstate is a very good school with excellent reputation, plus they teach you how to pass the registery exams. They had an open house this past Monday. I had posted the date a few times, and hope you saw it and had a chance to go to it. I will post the next time they have the next open house. The class size is relatively small, there's only 21 people in my class. Everyone gets to have clinical sites where they go once a week. Now the full-timers are going to go two days a week in the Spring semester. The classes are hard and unless you are blessed with a mind that doesn't forget things, you will have to study, study and study some more. Forget about having a life outside of school. But in the end, you will walk away with a bachelor's degree and hopefully pass the registries and get a job not long after graduating. Downstate is a good choice. Good luck.

jacksdad in San Diego, CA

71 months ago

abt in San Diego, California said: After only 1 year experience, the hospital I work for started me at 37 and hour. and I work nights and weekends, so it comes out to being over 40.

Did you train locally? I'm looking at a career change and I've been hearing good things about ultrasound tech positions from the few people I've run into with any knowledge of it locally. I'm currently in dialysis and desperate to get out of it.

LAH in Griffin, Georgia

71 months ago

I'm afraid Houston is a bit far for me when I have a house and family here in ATL. I'll be taking it in April at Sanford Brown in Atlanta near Perimeter mall. Are you studying sonography too?

Leslie/ LAH

Marta in Ridgewood, New York

71 months ago

Anna thank you for infornation
Is it hard to get to the program?
the scool is everyday5 days a week?
thanks again

71 months ago

Hi Marta. I don't know how hard it is to get in if you have the GPA to get in. You have to have at least a GPA of 3.0 on the prereq courses. You have to have 60 credits to get in. I had no problems getting in, but my GPA was a 3.6. If they like what they see in transcript, they will contact you to come in for a face to face interview. They will contact you if they decide to pick you to enter their program. They are looking for someone who's a serious student. I would strongly recommend taking A&P the year before you plan on attending Downstate, because their anatomy and physiology classes are HARD and very fast paced. I took A&P four years ago and I struggled through this semester,and I still don't know if I passed the class or not. I have to do a presentation tomorrow morning which counts for 25% of my final grade. Full-time is four days a week with one day doing clinical in the fall semester. Every semester afterwards will you will do one day more of clinicals and one day less of class. From what I hear from the full-timers the classes are really hard. Good luck. :o)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.