Sonography Job Shadowing Issues?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (8)

Ashlee in Lebanon, Tennessee

19 months ago

I'm interested in becoming a sonographer. The only problem is NO ONE will let me observe them. I'm shocked. I work as a pharmacy technician and have for 4 years while attending school. I've had to go through HIPAA once a year throughout that time. So the whole "HIPAA" thing was my first thought.

But I've gone in person, called and everything. I had one manager/supervisor go off on me because she said she gets calls everyday and it's frustrating her but she did not say why. She never mentioned HIPAA so I'm starting to wonder why? I had asked my advisor and she said none of her students had problems finding observation places? (I'm about to go back to her to meet and ask what to do). Out of 8 places I called/visited, 7 of them rejected me on the spot or did not return my call. I am required to have 20 hours of observation for my senior level college project in science and can't get it done.

Anyways, if anyone who is a sonographer could answer why no one will let me job shadow them I would love to know. I would hate to be a burden on someone who is trying to do their job, but at the same time how will I know whether or not I want to do the job if I can't observe? Or if I do want to do the job, which area would be something I would want to consider?

Thanks!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Karry in Massachusetts

19 months ago

Maybe call a local ultrasound program and ask what they do? My school set us up for our observing, but it was only 4 hours. I am guessing as a student now, we have to fill out tons of paperwork to do our clinical time. Maybe its just too much work. Did you try maybe OB offices or womans clinics, local health department?

Ashlee in Lebanon, Tennessee

19 months ago

It's actually the gynecologist offices that are the quickest to reject me. I found one that's general but I want to observe others to see what I may like.

I'm really surprised.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

B in Walnut Creek, California

18 months ago

Hi Ashlee,

Have you tried volunteering or obtaining hours at local hospital? They usually have a volunteer department and are almost always looking for people. If you let the volunteer coordinator know you are applying to sonography or imaging school they may be able to get you hours in a specific department.

The only down side is that they may be looking for more of a long-term commitment. There is also usually lots of paperwork, background checks, orientations and health screenings before you can begin.

B

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

bcgirl_dms in Vancouver, British Columbia

18 months ago

I'm curious to hear what sonographers working in the field have to say about this too. The sonography program I've applied too strongly discourages students from contacting clinics or hospitals for job shadowing, due to the high volume of students applying to the program. I believe liability and confidentiality are an issue as well.

It's probably just that they get so many calls asking for shadows that it would be a huge burden on the department to have people coming in all the time to observe and would interrupt their work flow...so they just say no to everyone.

That must be really frustrating though. You could try and get a volunteer position in a radiology department and then at least you could talk with sonographers and maybe they would let you observe once or twice?

Sophia

18 months ago

I agree with you bcgirl_dms....I think it has to do with slowing them down. I had a hard time getting someone to let me intern at their facility. Even though we would stay out of their way, they think we might just be more of a burden. Usually these offices have their patients planned to the minute. Do you have any tech schools in your area? Like vocational schools? they are usually nice about letting someone audit a class or sit in on a lab because they know if you like it you might potentially be a student of theirs. They might be a better choice than a hospital because theyll answer questions and you can even talk to students about the program.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Roger in Oakland, California

17 months ago

You should find a teaching hospital, they might be more willing to let you shadow. if anything, talk to the manager directly.

I also believe it depends on the procedure, if it is with kids or as you had an ob/gyn setting, it might not be as comfortable.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana

17 months ago

The reason they arent open to shadowing is everyone is working so hard and is overworked. There isn't time to do that. The tech can't get behind in the schedule.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.