Yale-New Haven Hospital's School of Diagnostic Ultrasound in New Haven, Connecticut

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (30)

curious in Meriden, Connecticut

57 months ago

Hi everyone, I'm strongly considering going through the accredited Ultrasound program offered by Yale New Haven Hospital. I know it's pretty costly since it doesn't accept financial aid but I'm willing to invest it if it's worth it so I wanted to know...

Has anyone out there gone through their program? Would you recommend it to other students? Any other helpful information? Do they offer job placement assistance? Or even per diem jobs to X-ray techs enrolled in their program? The brochure was very vague. I'd love it if someone would be able to post a candid review on their experience in the program. If anyone could provide some candid information (current students or alumni) it would be greatly appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Tasha in Waterbury, Connecticut

57 months ago

I haven't been there personally, but I plan to go after I get my associates in Radiology Technology. I do know that back in 2005 the cost for the one year program (they also offer a 6 month program in echocardiography which is cheaper) was 5000 dollars. I don't imagine that it has risen too dramatically. At most I'd expect it to be 8000, but I doubt it's risen that much either. I don't really think of 5,000 dollars as being that expensive for school, though it's true the lack of aid can hurt. You can probably still get a loan (private education or just personal) to cover the costs in all liklihood. Right now YNH is one of only 2 places in CT that offer accredited education in ultrasound. I don't know how soon you were looking to go, but I'm hoping that by the time I am graduated Gateway Community College will be accredited. That way I can get the certificate there and use financial aid. Right now their program isn't accredited though.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

curious in Waterbury, Connecticut

56 months ago

Tasha,

I've been researching and working towards getting into the field for the past five years. I've done my general education requirements and will be finishing my degree in Radiologic Technology this May... Don't wait for Gateway Community College to get accredited. I was interested in entering their Ultrasound program for Fall of 2006 without doing X-ray first and was told they were pending accreditation and that they'll likely be accredited for the incoming Fall 2006 class... and now here it is, April 2010, and their program still is not CAAHEP accredited.

But back to Yale-New Haven Hospital's School of Diagnostic Ultrasound... you're right that back in 2005 the cost for the one year General Sonography program was about $5,000 and the adult ECHO program lasts 6 months and costs $2,500 (I'm assuming you saw the 2004/2005 brochure through google on the vietspan site). However, although the ECHO program is cheaper, in order to enroll in the ECHO program you must already be a registered diagnostic medical sonographer by the ARDMS or be a student currently enrolled in the last quarter/semester of an ACCREDITED general sonography program.... and well, not only is that brochure very outdated but so are the costs.... it's MUCH more than what you expected it to be now!

(...continued in the next post...)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

curious in Waterbury, Connecticut

56 months ago

(...continuation from the previous post...)

If the program still was $5,000 it wouldn't be an issue for me without financial aid--but that's not the case at all. As I type this, I have the school's application I requested to be sent to me, sitting in front of me for the General program and it clearly states: "The tuition for the class beginning in November 2010 is $15,000. Books are approximately $600. Applications are accepted year round. The deadline for applications is six weeks prior to starting classes". There's also a $20 application fee just to apply to the school. For reputable and an accredited program, it is still cheaper than FOX ($28,000).

Now here's the problem when a program does not accept financial aid... you aren't eligible for the federal low interest student loans you'd normally get at a college. And if you have no one to co-sign a private student loan for you (higher interest rate than the federal loans) OR if you cannot make a monthly payment beginning immediately as required with a personal loan (which has a cap of around $5,000 and an even higher interest rate) there are very few options available for you.

This is why I'm really hoping that someone can provide some candid information on this program from their experience--because $15,000 without financial aid IS expensive for school and I'd really like to know what I'm possibly getting myself into before I'm stuck with some high interest loans. (But hey! The $252 million dollar Powerball drawing is tonight, so maybe I'll get lucky!)

And although it's true that YNHH is one of only two accredited in the state of Connecticut, the other one at St. Francis costs slightly more than YNHH and it only teaches ECHO.

Going To YNHH ultrasound school in Waterbury, Connecticut

56 months ago

I am currently enrolled in the YNHH school of diagnostic ultrasound. I am about 1/2 way through the program. We will graduate mid november of this year. It currently is a 13 1/2 month program, because they added a 6 week intro period. I feel that the experience you get is hands down amazing. You get to see sooo many different studies and get a ton of hands on experience. We have some new hires from other programs in CT that dont have the experience that we get as students. The cost of the school is a pain because you cannot take out traditional school loans, yet i did take out a education loan through a local credit union, and got a pretty low interest rate, just under 6%. The loan is for 10 years and my payments are 130 a month, which i did have to start paying on right away, so there is options out there. The program is def hard and stressful, alot of learning, but i feel the clinical experience i am getting is one of the best. Enrollment is revolving and a first come first serve basis. So if you plan on applying, i advise sooner is better. The program is 8-430 daily and i work a few sat a month to get some extra spending money...but luckily my husband can support us both while i am in school, it would not be possible otherwise financially doing it on my own. Good luck hope this helps!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

curious in Meriden, Connecticut

56 months ago

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide your helpful input! It's very much appreciated.

Now I noticed you said you work a few Saturdays a month for extra money. Is that because the course load is so demanding of your time? Or is it due to family? Or a combination of both? I'm not married (nor do I have any children), and will be moving into an apartment closer to the area if accepted, so I will not have that type of financial support during the program... I was planning on working every weekend during the program. Any advice on that?

Also, how many students are in your class? Thank you so much!

Going To YNHH ultrasound school in Waterbury, Connecticut

56 months ago

I dont have kids, i only work a few sats a month because personally i have the help right now and dont need to overwork myself. the course work is demanding, but some people do work every weekend and they do ok. It is just alot to go to school 40 hours and work alot on top of that...also i live in middletown, not waterbury..ha.
we have 8 students currently in our class

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Thinking about it too in Naugatuck, Connecticut

54 months ago

Curious in Meriden,

I was wondering if you ever ended up applying to their program for the Fall 2010 class? If so, did you hear anything back from them?

Going To YNHH ultrasound school in Waterbury,

Since you're in the program, what was the selection process like? Was it on a point scale? Did you go through any interview(s)? Is it hard to get selected? Thanks in advance!

Curious in Cheshire, Connecticut

54 months ago

TO: Thinking about it too

No, I did not end up applying. I simply could not find financial backing to afford it at this time. I plan on *hopefully* being able to apply next year.

...Weird, says I was in Meriden, Waterbury and now Cheshire and only one of those is correct! Ha!

Dellenmorg in Seymour, Connecticut

51 months ago

Hi There,

Thanks for all of this info, it was extremely helpful.
I was also looking into the program and need to get some prerequisites done before I apply. I have a Bachelor Degree in SW and have taken a few science classes,etc.
My concern is about being able to work as well. I was hoping to be able to work on the weekend so that I can provide some type of income to my family. I have two children so this program will be difficult for me but thank goodness it's only 13 Months and I Know I can hang in there for 13 Months with my husband's support.
It's so nice to chat with someone in the program already.

Are there any Holidays off? or Vacations from the program?
Do you have alot of homework and studying? or would you say it can be done after classes during the week?
Thanks again for all of your help, I find this extremely helpful.

What is the other accredited Program in CT? I thought Yale was the only one. Also, did someone mention the program is in Waterbury?
How many times did you have to apply to get into the program?
tHANKS again

Dellenmorg in Seymour, Connecticut

51 months ago

Going To YNHH ultrasound school in Waterbury, Connecticut said: I dont have kids, i only work a few sats a month because personally i have the help right now and dont need to overwork myself. the course work is demanding, but some people do work every weekend and they do ok. It is just alot to go to school 40 hours and work alot on top of that...also i live in middletown, not waterbury..ha.
we have 8 students currently in our class

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'd be curious to hear more from you. How many hrs a week do you do homework?ec. They only accept 8 people per session for the general program and 3 for the cardio program.
I am not a radiologist but do have my Bachelors degree so I would have to do the 500 Direct Patient Care Hours and take a few other classes. I have two younger children so I may wait until my youngest is in School F/T but may apply next year in case I don't get accepted. Do you know what they look for in a potential student? Also, how many people apply to the program do you know?
What do you do for work on the weekend? Just curious if you're in a Hospital setting or not.
Thanks again, you've been very helpfu.

Interested in Ultrasound in Newington, Connecticut

49 months ago

I too have been looking into Ultrasound programs, but have been having a very difficult time in anyone from Yale's program getting back to me. I currently have a bachelor of science in sociology and elementary education. I am looking at a complete career change and have a lot of questions about the ultrasound program at Yale as well as St. Francis. If anyone has gone to program at Yale or St. Francis can you please reply?

Kim seeking Ultrasound advice in Trumbull, Connecticut

47 months ago

Hi, I have a B.S. degree in Special Education. I am 38 years old (married with 3 school aged children)and am currently taking pre-reqs for Yale's School of Diagnostic Imaging. I am interesed in hearing from anyone who is in or has completed the program. Would love to know how difficult it is to get into the program? What the program is like on a daily basis and what is the job outlook, right when you graduate? Do you need to pass the licensure immediately or can you work a little first? Also, I do not have patient care hours. I have read that you need more than 500 hours BEFORE you apply to the program. Any insight or advice would be SO appreciated! Thank you in advance, Kim

dellenmorg in Seymour, Connecticut

47 months ago

Hi Kim
I'm working on some of my prereq also.
I called Carolyn Deleo from Yale and she reccomended to me to do the CNA program and then work as a CNA to get your 500 hours in.
Also, they only accept 8 applicants per session which is 13 Months and it runs from Nov to Dec I believe.
I'm assuming you would need to pass the BOARDS before you can work.

Kim seeking Ultrasound advice in Trumbull, Connecticut

47 months ago

Thanks dellenmorg,

Thanks so much for your response! I really appreciate it :)

I am very busy with the pre-reqs now. When will you do the CNA program and where will you do it? Would your plan be to complete pre-reqs, then complete the program, and then work for the 500 hours? All before applying to the Ultrasound program?

Thanks! Kim

dellenmorg in Seymour, Connecticut

47 months ago

Kim,
I don't plan on applying until the Fall of 2012 so I only have 2 classroom classes, 500 pt hours and medical terminology left to take.
I want to do the CNA program in March or April.....it's a 6 week program through RED CROSS, 3 nights a week.
I wonder if we can communicate privately?

Just a heads up in Bethany, Connecticut

47 months ago

"Dellenmorg", "Kim seeking Ultrasound advice", "Interested in Ultrasound", and anyone else considering applying.

I have a bachelors in Allied Health and an A.S. in Radiologic Technology with 100+ documented hours of volunteer work in a Hospital setting. I'm a Phi Theta Kappa scholar, Dean's List student, and have a GPA well above a 3.00. I worked hard on completing the pre-reqs for several years before I could finally apply to the program. I was told by Carolyn that I interviewed very well throughout the application process... and I was not accepted into Yale's Ultrasound program.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from applying to their program by any means, but just saying do not get your hopes up thinking that just because you do the pre-reqs or take her advice for the patient care hours that you'll get in... because it's certainly not guaranteed by any means, and I'm proof. As they say, don't put all your eggs in one basket. There are other reputable programs out there, you just need to look hard for them.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Kim seeking ultrasound advice in Trumbull, Connecticut

47 months ago

Dellenmorg, you can reach me @ kimlovesthebeach@hotmail.com.

Just a heads up...Wow, that's not great news. Were you given any reason? If not, why do you think they chose others over you?

Thanks for the message...you're right, not a good idea to put all the eggs in one basket.

Kim

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

dellenmorg in Derby, Connecticut

47 months ago

Bethany
Did she say why you weren't chosen? Will you continue to reapply to the program?
You can always apply to the St Vincents program b/c you already have your Radiology Degree. I would not be eligible for that b/c I only have my BSW.
Tell us more about the interview process. What/Who is she looking for?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Just a heads up in Bethany, Connecticut said: "Dellenmorg", "Kim seeking Ultrasound advice", "Interested in Ultrasound", and anyone else considering applying.

I have a bachelors in Allied Health and an A.S. in Radiologic Technology with 100+ documented hours of volunteer work in a Hospital setting. I'm a Phi Theta Kappa scholar, Dean's List student, and have a GPA well above a 3.00. I worked hard on completing the pre-reqs for several years before I could finally apply to the program. I was told by Carolyn that I interviewed very well throughout the application process... and I was not accepted into Yale's Ultrasound program.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone from applying to their program by any means, but just saying do not get your hopes up thinking that just because you do the pre-reqs or take her advice for the patient care hours that you'll get in... because it's certainly not guaranteed by any means, and I'm proof. As they say, don't put all your eggs in one basket. There are other reputable programs out there, you just need to look hard for them.

Good luck!

Tiff in Milford, Connecticut

43 months ago

Just a heads up in Bethany, Connecticut said: "Dellenmorg", "Kim seeking Ultrasound advice", "Interested in Ultrasound", and anyone else considering applying.

Good luck!

I am upset that with a bachelors degree they want patient care experience...kindof annoying to be a cna...I am researching gateway but they want anatomy..which i took years ago and want me to retake..quinipiac has one too but unsure if you need an undergrad in allied health...also a new school is opening up in stamford..iamp....they do not require all the patient hours etc...its one year full time like yales....not acredited but most arent..as long as ya sit for the ardms they you are good....any schools you know of would be a great help as well during my research....thanks soooo much....

Natalee in Waterbury, Connecticut

39 months ago

Hi, I've been a LPN for 4yrs, i just got laid off and decided to go back to school. I'm interested in the ultrasound program at Gateway. Has anyone successfully completed the program and found jobs. I know they are not CAAHEP accredited, how would that affect me when i'm done with their program.
Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Off topic... in Cheshire, Connecticut

39 months ago

Natalee,

I would recommend starting a new discussion on the Ultrasound Forum to ask about Gateway's program.

You can do that here:

www.indeed.com/forum/job/ultrasound-technician.html#create_discussion

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

DM13 in Waterbury, Connecticut

34 months ago

Going To YNHH ultrasound school in Waterbury, Connecticut said: I am currently enrolled in the YNHH school of diagnostic ultrasound. I am about 1/2 way through the program. We will graduate mid november of this year. It currently is a 13 1/2 month program, because they added a 6 week intro period. I feel that the experience you get is hands down amazing. You get to see sooo many different studies and get a ton of hands on experience. We have some new hires from other programs in CT that dont have the experience that we get as students. The cost of the school is a pain because you cannot take out traditional school loans, yet i did take out a education loan through a local credit union, and got a pretty low interest rate, just under 6%. The loan is for 10 years and my payments are 130 a month, which i did have to start paying on right away, so there is options out there. The program is def hard and stressful, alot of learning, but i feel the clinical experience i am getting is one of the best. Enrollment is revolving and a first come first serve basis. So if you plan on applying, i advise sooner is better. The program is 8-430 daily and i work a few sat a month to get some extra spending money...but luckily my husband can support us both while i am in school, it would not be possible otherwise financially doing it on my own. Good luck hope this helps!

Hi, I am a student at NVCC Radiology Program and I wanted to know do you have to take any prerequisite courses for the YNHH ultrasound program? How much did it cost you, and did you alreadys have a radiologic technologist degree before going into ultrasound? Also, were you ever on the waiting list?
Thank You!!!!!

Happy Jana in Milford, Connecticut

21 months ago

Hi, I have a Bachelor degree and refused admission at Gateway Community College. But I found this New institute in Stratford called AIHT Education. They have Ultrasound Technologist program for $18870. Its 20 Month program.
Since I have Bachelor Degree I can sit for ARDMS test right after my graduation. The school is new in Connecticut but same group has been running school in New Jersey for 9 Years and the one in New Jersey is CAAHEP approved. They have same curriculum as New Jersey. I have been told that as long as I have Bachelor Degree I can sit for ARDMS, school does not have to be CAAHEP accredited.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Think in Suffield, Connecticut

20 months ago

There are no to few ultrasound jobs in CT. I'm about to graduate from Gateway & no one has a job lined up. 4 from last years class are also without work. Think long & hard before you spend 2 years going to school. There is no indication that things will be getting better as Hospitals are cutting back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

Chozin in Milford, Connecticut

10 months ago

curious in Meriden, Connecticut said: Hi everyone, I'm strongly considering going through the accredited Ultrasound program offered by Yale New Haven Hospital . I know it's pretty costly since it doesn't accept financial aid but I'm willing to invest it if it's worth it so I wanted to know...

Has anyone out there gone through their program? Would you recommend it to other students? Any other helpful information? Do they offer job placement assistance? Or even per diem jobs to X-ray techs enrolled in their program? The brochure was very vague. I'd love it if someone would be able to post a candid review on their experience in the program. If anyone could provide some candid information (current students or alumni) it would be greatly appreciated!

Hello did u apply?

10 months ago

Hello I'm thinking about the program too. Would u recommend the program? What was it like? Did you obtain a job when you graduated?

Going To YNHH ultrasound school in Waterbury, Connecticut said: I am currently enrolled in the YNHH school of diagnostic ultrasound. I am about 1/2 way through the program. We will graduate mid november of this year. It currently is a 13 1/2 month program, because they added a 6 week intro period. I feel that the experience you get is hands down amazing. You get to see sooo many different studies and get a ton of hands on experience. We have some new hires from other proggrams in CT that dont have the experience that we get as students. The cost of the school is a pain because you cannot take out traditional school loans, yet i did take out a education loan through a local credit union , and got a pretty low interest rate, just under 6%. The loan is for 10 years and my payments are 130 a month, which i did have to start paying on right away, so there is options out there. The program is def hard and stressful, alot of learning, but i feel the clinical experience i am getting is one of the best. Enrollment is revolving and a first come first serve basis. So if you plan on applying, i advise sooner is better. The program is 8-430 daily and i work a few sat a month to get some extra spending money...but luckily my husband can support us both while i am in school, it would not be possible otherwise financially doing it on my own. Good luck hope this helps!

10 months ago

Happy Jana in Milford, Connecticut said: Hi, I have a Bachelor degree and refused admission at Gateway Community College . But I found this New institute in Stratford called AIHT Education . They have Ultrasound Technologist program for $18870. Its 20 Month program.
Since I have Bachelor Degree I can sit for ARDMS test right after my graduation. The school is new in Connecticut but same group has been running school in New Jersey for 9 Years and the one in New Jersey is CAAHEP approved. They have same curriculum as New Jersey. I have been told that as long as I have Bachelor Degree I can sit for ARDMS, school does not have to be CAAHEP accredited.

Hello. I head of that aiht school too. Did you end up attending there?

10 months ago

Think in Suffield, Connecticut said: There are no to few ultrasound jobs in CT. I'm about to graduate from Gateway & no one has a job lined up. 4 from last years class are also without work. Think long & hard before you spend 2 years going to school. There is no indication that things will be getting better as Hospitals are cutting back.

What was that program like? Were you able to find a job?

applying to YNHH in Waterford, Connecticut

9 days ago

Hey there, I was wondering if you wouldn't mind emailing me? I'm applying to YNHH ultrasound program for next year and would love some of your insight into the program and application process! My name is amber, my email is amber169261@yahoo.com

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.