do trade schools look bad even if they're certified by caahep?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (35)

Leslie in Los Angeles, California

30 months ago

ok so i want to go to school for diagnostic medical sonography in california. The only one that's closest to me is Platt College in Los Angeles, LLC - Alhambra, CA. I've checked the CAAHEP website and they are newly accredited by them. i need to go to a school that is accredited by them so i can come right out and take the ARDMS test to get registered. The only problem is im pretty sure that Platt is a trade school. Will employers look at my degree differently since its from a trade school?does it even matter because its accredited by the CAAHEP? any other input or advice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Crystal in Modesto, California

30 months ago

I am in the same boat as you. I currently have a BA in Kinesiology, but there are no jobs out there for this major other than personal training, which I don't want to do. So, I was looking into getting a degree in Sonography and found Platt College. They are an accredited trade school, but I heard trade schools are not widely respected and affect your chances in getting a job (don't take my word on that though). On their website, however, it states that Platt College is partnered with many places for externships. I don't know... still torn.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

pugster090 in Colton, California

30 months ago

well if it's new it probably isn't as well reputed as established programs. it should be on the bottom of your list of schools.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Ben in Cerritos, California

30 months ago

Leslie, Crystal

I have also been thinking of attending Platt for the DMS program. I was also worried about the credentials of the school, but they are CAAHEP accredited and I saw a site that listed the top 5 programs in California, and Platt was on the list. My aunt is a nurse and she said that at her clinic, the ARDMS credential and experience is all they cared about for sonography hires, not the reputation of the program.

Crystal- My aunt also said that having a Bachelors in addition to the A.A. is a huge bonus, as the field is starting to make ARDMS credentials mandatory. A lot of experienced and older Sonographers are being laid off because while they do have 20+ years of experience, they choose not to or are not able to pass the tests. I am hoping that my B.S. in Physiology from a good university will help in hiring, and from what I've heard from her and my friends in the field, it should.

Have either of you guys had an appointment at Platt College yet? I have an interview next Tuesday, and if you have any questions I can ask them during my interview if you'd like. Let me know if you guys have found anything else out about the school/field!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Jenn in Lenoir, North Carolina

29 months ago

I think you are good as long as its CAAHEP and you are guaranteed your clinical hours to sit for your ARDMS soon as your out of the program.

DMSs in Mountain View, California

28 months ago

Ben in Cerritos, California said: Leslie, Crystal

I have also been thinking of attending Platt for the DMS program. I was also worried about the credentials of the school, but they are CAAHEP accredited and I saw a site that listed the top 5 programs in California, and Platt was on the list. My aunt is a nurse and she said that at her clinic, the ARDMS credential and experience is all they cared about for sonography hires, not the reputation of the program.

Crystal- My aunt also said that having a Bachelors in addition to the A.A. is a huge bonus, as the field is starting to make ARDMS credentials mandatory. A lot of experienced and older Sonographers are being laid off because while they do have 20+ years of experience, they choose not to or are not able to pass the tests. I am hoping that my B.S. in Physiology from a good university will help in hiring , and from what I've heard from her and my friends in the field, it should.

Have either of you guys had an appointment at Platt College yet? I have an interview next Tuesday, and if you have any questions I can ask them during my interview if you'd like. Let me know if you guys have found anything else out about the school/field!

Hi ben, I got accepted to platt college. I am wondering if i should go or not. Do you think the school will still be accredited by the time i finish this program? I don't waste my money and time thas why im having doubts. Btw have you heard anything back from platt?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

LuckyK in Cerritos, California

28 months ago

I was studying pharmacy tech but decided to switch to medical billing or transcription. But I had the same fear that some of these trade schools are "fly by night" or aren't taken seriously by employers.

I just happen to remember that the Cal State system has a good exteneded education program. I was even able to study my field in an online program instead of in the classroom.

Check your nearest Cal State's extended education program. Also check community colleges, ROP, or school districts with an adult school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Karry in Massachusetts

28 months ago

DMSs in Mountain View, California said: Hi ben, I got accepted to platt college. I am wondering if i should go or not. Do you think the school will still be accredited by the time i finish this program? I don't waste my money and time thas why im having doubts. Btw have you heard anything back from platt?

This is from their site: NOTICE: Platt College is proud to announce its Alhambra campus was awarded initial accreditation by the Joint-Review Commission on Diagnostic Medical Sonography (JRC-DMS) in March 2012. Call today to find out more details!

My school states they are accredited until 2015 when they do another review. At least is sounds like they are in the initial process. I would ask them how long until its finalized. My school renewed in 2010 so I guess its for 5 years unless they do some drastic bad things? I have no idea. GOod luck.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

DMSs in Mountain View, California

28 months ago

guest in San Mateo, California said: And Platt college has been banned from Cal Grants.

where did you find that?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

DMSs in Mountain View, California said: Hi ben, I got accepted to platt college. I am wondering if i should go or not. Do you think the school will still be accredited by the time i finish this program? I don't waste my money and time thas why im having doubts. Btw have you heard anything back from platt?

Hey DMS! Yea I have actually been accepted to Platt College as well but I decided to switch to the Respiratory Therapy program for a few reasons. However, for both RT and Sonography the school is accredited and you will be able to take the board tests right after graduation. From my nurse Ant, and a Respiratory Therapist I talked to, for either program employers don;t really care about the school you attend....they just care that you are certified and registered by passing the board certifications. That is the biggest thing BY FAR.

LuckyK- While the state schools are good too, keep in mind that for sonography or respiratory therapy, you need to attend a school that is accredited by the licensing board for that profession. In Sonography's case that is ARDMS and CAAHEP. Searching their site there aren't too many accredited schools in California, and Platt is one of them. Most importantly are the connections you make in school for landing a job after graduation, board certification and contacts in the field are what it's all about!

Remember these trade schools aren't just some trade money for getting out quick scheme. Platt is an accredited school, and it is competitive to get in. I know for sonography they have 24 spots and around 500 people apply, and for RT they have 20 spots and about 150 apply. They are FEW schools in California that qualify for the board test, and whether they are private or state schools all the ones that really matter are competitive.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Lorraine in Alhambra, California

27 months ago

Ben in Cerritos, California said: Hey DMS! Yea I have actually been accepted to Platt College as well but I decided to switch to the Respiratory Therapy program for a few reasons. However, for both RT and Sonography the school is accredited and you will be able to take the board tests right after graduation. From my nurse Ant, and a Respiratory Therapist I talked to, for either program employers don;t really care about the school you attend....they just care that you are certified and registered by passing the board certifications. That is the biggest thing BY FAR.

LuckyK- While the state schools are good too, keep in mind that for sonography or respiratory therapy, you need to attend a school that is accredited by the licensing board for that profession. In Sonography's case that is ARDMS and CAAHEP. Searching their site there aren't too many accredited schools in California, and Platt is one of them. Most importantly are the connections you make in school for landing a job after graduation, board certification and contacts in the field are what it's all about!

Remember these trade schools aren't just some trade money for getting out quick scheme. Platt is an accredited school, and it is competitive to get in. I know for sonography they have 24 spots and around 500 people apply, and for RT they have 20 spots and about 150 apply. They are FEW schools in California that qualify for the board test, and whether they are private or state schools all the ones that really matter are competitive.

Hi Ben from Cerritos,

How was your interview for Platt College? What questions did they ask you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Ashlee in Rancho Cucamonga, California

26 months ago

Hi,

Have any of you that were looking to attend Platt college for sonography, moved forward with doing so and are now taking classes? I'm considering applying to their DMS program and would greatly appreciate any information that can be provided with personal experience.

Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

LoganJohn in Los Angeles, California

26 months ago

Ben in Cerritos, California said: Leslie, Crystal

Crystal- My aunt also said that having a Bachelors in addition to the A.A. is a huge bonus, as the field is starting to make ARDMS credentials mandatory. A lot of experienced and older Sonographers are being laid off because while they do have 20+ years of experience, they choose not to or are not able to pass the tests. I am hoping that my B.S. in Physiology from a good university will help in hiring , and from what I've heard from her and my friends in the field, it should.

Hi Ben, you've been interviewed at Platt college and I was wondering did Fina helped you and did Dr. Caro interviewed you?
Did you get accepted right away or waited a few months for the acceptance call or email? The reason I'm asking is I got an interview with Fina and Dr. Caro last August and I'm still waiting for the confirmation for the February intake. I'm just anxious to get started and worried that my application will get bump if somebody with a bachelor or better comes along. I don't believe their promises that they will call me as soon as they know the outcome because they are so busy over there.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Don'tbelieveit in Phoenix, Arizona

26 months ago

You schools keep posting this stuff and giving people false impressions.
There are no jobs.

People thinking of going into ultrasound need to tread carefully and check out the job market.

They need to follow the jobs posted...see how long they are actually online. Some are on for years. They are just refreshed or reposted.

This was all just advertising for a school. It is really wrong to steer people into spending their money for a field with no jobs.

26 months ago

Jenn in Lenoir, North Carolina said: I think you are good as long as its CAAHEP and you are guaranteed your clinical hours to sit for your ARDMS soon as your out of the program.

Who ever heard of a medical program that doesn't include clinicals?

You people bounce around CAAHEP, but there was a time when schools weren't "accredited" and there were jobs. Now, it's all buzz.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

LoganJohn in Los Angeles, California said: Hi Ben, you've been interviewed at Platt college and I was wondering did Fina helped you and did Dr. Caro interviewed you?
Did you get accepted right away or waited a few months for the acceptance call or email? The reason I'm asking is I got an interview with Fina and Dr. Caro last August and I'm still waiting for the confirmation for the February intake. I'm just anxious to get started and worried that my application will get bump if somebody with a bachelor or better comes along. I don't believe their promises that they will call me as soon as they know the outcome because they are so busy over there.

Hey Logan and Lorrain- I did have the interviews and actually decided upon the Respiratory Therapy program, but it is very similar to ultra-sound. The process is pretty straight-forward and pretty competitive, I know Dr. Caro is pretty strict on who she lets in. I am confident that if you score well on the entrance tests, and present yourself in a cal and professional way you'll get by fine. Bachelor degrees help alot (especially with Gen Ed classes), but it does not mean you'll get bumped out. Most of the people in my program don't have their degrees.

Dontbelieveit- Every profession is getting more competitive just because there are more people and the economy is hurt. These programs (which are accredited, and only a few per state at that) are necessary in having a job in the field nowadays, and even that isn't enough. Networking is necessary and schools (in any field) provide those opportunities to connect. People in my program work in hospitals and already have their intentions known to their peers and are preparing to work in the field pretty quickly right out of the program. There are jobs but because of the hard market most won't be posted, and many job-seekers right now don't have the new credentials required.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

Ben in Cerritos, California said: Hey Logan and Lorrain- I did have the interviews and actually decided upon the Respiratory Therapy program, but it is very similar to ultra-sound. The process is pretty straight-forward and pretty competitive, I know Dr. Caro is pretty strict on who she lets in. I am confident that if you score well on the entrance tests, and present yourself in a cal and professional way you'll get by fine. Bachelor degrees help alot (especially with Gen Ed classes), but it does not mean you'll get bumped out. Most of the people in my program don't have their degrees.

Dontbelieveit- Every profession is getting more competitive just because there are more people and the economy is hurt. These programs (which are accredited, and only a few per state at that) are necessary in having a job in the field nowadays, and even that isn't enough. Networking is necessary and schools (in any field) provide those opportunities to connect. People in my program work in hospitals and already have their intentions known to their peers and are preparing to work in the field pretty quickly right out of the program. There are jobs but because of the hard market most won't be posted, and many job-seekers right now don't have the new credentials required.

Oh, you think a lot of the unemployed techs don't have the skills, eh? Is that what you schools are telling people? There is no way you could ever gauge anyone's skills to say that. Techs are not finding jobs, because there aren't jobs.

People in your program, eh? You want money, so you tell people anything. You tell them they are better than the techs out there.

No hospital hires hundreds of techs. They hire a handful at best. Most out-patient is one, maybe two. Doc offices are part time, usually mobile.

You schools think no one knows the market, you think everyone is stupid out here, because you can KEEP ON fooling people into going into a field where there are no jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

Ben in Cerritos, California said: Hey Logan and Lorrain- I did have the interviews and actually decided upon the Respiratory Therapy program, but it is very similar to ultra-sound. The process is pretty straight-forward and pretty competitive, I know Dr. Caro is pretty strict on who she lets in. I am confident that if you score well on the entrance tests, and present yourself in a cal and professional way you'll get by fine. Bachelor degrees help alot (especially with Gen Ed classes), but it does not mean you'll get bumped out. Most of the people in my program don't have their degrees.

That's it John, get them into another field with no jobs. Anything to get people suckered into a program, and get them all excited about completing it and coming on board.

I have a Bachelor's Degree, John, but I know you'll try to say I don't have the right skills because I didn't go to your little trade school.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

It's not about CAAHEP. They want you to believe this is all about credentialing and professional blessings.

Check things out yourself, for any field you want to go in. Don't let some school tell you what the score is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jc in Cerritos, California

26 months ago

Have you guys heard any good reviews about JEM College in Corona? I have a B.S in Health Science and was thinking of going back to school as an ultrasound tech.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

26 months ago

Nice how they keep plugging the schools. There are no jobs.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

ali212 in San Diego, California

25 months ago

I have an interview with Dr. Caro this coming Monday. I have applied to others in California as well but have given an alternate spot to some Hospital based programs. Anywho, Platt is not my top school but I am getting nervous and possibly discouraged. How and what is this interview like and what should I expect? I believe Platt is on a pount system as well when choosing applicants, so does anyone know anything about that? I have a BA in Economics and have volunteered 120 hrs, done observations, recommendations, as well as pre-reqs for Sonography... Can anyone tell me how to prepare or the stats on who actually gets in? I really dont want to wait any longer and could use some help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

DMSs in Milpitas, California

25 months ago

ali212 in San Diego, California said: I have an interview with Dr. Caro this coming Monday. I have applied to others in California as well but have given an alternate spot to some Hospital based programs. Anywho, Platt is not my top school but I am getting nervous and possibly discouraged. How and what is this interview like and what should I expect? I believe Platt is on a pount system as well when choosing applicants, so does anyone know anything about that? I have a BA in Economics and have volunteered 120 hrs, done observations, recommendations, as well as pre-reqs for Sonography... Can anyone tell me how to prepare or the stats on who actually gets in? I really dont want to wait any longer and could use some help.

just gotta tell them your passion behind sonography. They accepted about 20 ppl. When is your progrm starting?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

DMSs in Milpitas, California said: just gotta tell them your passion behind sonography. They accepted about 20 ppl. When is your progrm starting?

They told me that there are roughly 5 slots left for the Feb start date. If not, then it will be for May. They have asked me to bring my personal statement in to the interview, would they be reading it in front of my face? How many questions did she ask? Curious, because I have been in 15 min interviews as well as 1 hr ones as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

ali212 in San Diego, California said: They told me that there are roughly 5 slots left for the Feb start date. If not, then it will be for May. They have asked me to bring my personal statement in to the interview, would they be reading it in front of my face? How many questions did she ask? Curious, because I have been in 15 min interviews as well as 1 hr ones as well.

Hi Ali,

How's your interview with Dr. Caro? I did mine last August and got my acce

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

ali212 in San Diego, California said: They told me that there are roughly 5 slots left for the Feb start date. If not, then it will be for May. They have asked me to bring my personal statement in to the interview, would they be reading it in front of my face? How many questions did she ask? Curious, because I have been in 15 min interviews as well as 1 hr ones as well.

Hi Ali,
I did my interview with Dr. Caro, and got my acceptance
email 1st week of november. Dr. Caro is strict on who she lets in
to the program, but if you have some pre reqs for sonography done
and your BA you will get in for sure. I'm a Limited permit xray and been
out of school for some time, her only concern for me is that my general
ed that i took before is a few years already( 10 yrs) but i was still accepted.
So, goodluck to you and if you get i might see you in february class.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

Congrats on getting in!!! Well the interview was ok. It seems like she wasnt expecting me and had no paperwork on me at all...luckily I brought extras. Dr. Caro believes February is full so im not sure with that. Fina said we will hear from her in Decemberish. I hope that I wo.t have to wait that long before I hear from them. Interview was uncomfortable because she didnt seem to focus much attention and ask difficult questions at all because she was looking for my paperwork on her emails. I thought it was quite strange. was your interview similiar but in the end with good results??? Hopefully ill see you in Feb!

25 months ago

ali212 in San Diego, California said: Congrats on getting in!!! Well the interview was ok. It seems like she wasnt expecting me and had no paperwork on me at all...luckily I brought extras. Dr. Caro believes February is full so im not sure with that. Fina said we will hear from her in Decemberish. I hope that I wo.t have to wait that long before I hear from them. Interview was uncomfortable because she didnt seem to focus much attention and ask difficult questions at all because she was looking for my paperwork on her emails. I thought it was quite strange. was your interview similiar but in the end with good results??? Hopefully ill see you in Feb!

Hi ALi,

My interview is kinda the same, she is kinda busy and students asking her questions while I'm there. She asked for my resume and also ask me to write an essay on the spot while she steps out and help out a student ,and while I'm waiting for her to come back there is another ultrasound instructor that is asking me questions. Dr. Caro's questions revolves around my previous general ed, if i can travel to the internship sites and if I have the funds to support myself and my school. I think she just want to make sure the students she is taking can keep up with general ed of the program which is about 5 weeks compress. I'm actually preparing more on the general ed(algebra and physics) than the core program.
Word of advice, you have to follow up with Fina because she is so busy with other admissions(vet,ultrasound, MA and graphics). Be patient with leaving messages and emails, because sometimes it will not be returned in a timely manner. This is the 1st time they are offering DMS in May, because they want to increase the intake by 100 in a year.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

I brought her my resume and she wasnt impressed that I was in the financial field and have a bachlors in economics. But I did tell her I took all required prereqs with passing grades. I wish fina wouldve had my paperwork ready with my grades for the interview to insure the interview was a little smoother. An instructor did walk in during the interview as well and asked a few questions but I wasnt sure who she was because at first, she did not introduce herself. I thougt we were just small talking before an interview starts! I mean I was really confused on what was going on, Dr. Caro said I was being quite vague but I didnt know the I.terview had begun since she was still on her computer searching fpr my paperwork and emails! thanks for the advice on Fina, ill have to check up the 1st of December. Im going to cross my fingers!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

ali212 in San Diego, California said: I brought her my resume and she wasnt impressed that I was in the financial field and have a bachlors in economics. But I did tell her I took all required prereqs with passing grades. I wish fina wouldve had my paperwork ready with my grades for the interview to insure the interview was a little smoother. An instructor did walk in during the interview as well and asked a few questions but I wasnt sure who she was because at first, she did not introduce herself. I thougt we were just small talking before an interview starts! I mean I was really confused on what was going on, Dr. Caro said I was being quite vague but I didnt know the I.terview had begun since she was still on her computer searching fpr my paperwork and emails! thanks for the advice on Fina, ill have to check up the 1st of December. Im going to cross my fingers!

Hi Ali,

I have a feeling they are not looking at grades or any transcript because I offered them mine to help them assessed me based on my credentials, but fina told me that she will only get it once i got accepted. I think they focused more on my resume and my work experience. I'm pretty sure that you will get in, your chances are better now that they increased the intake to 100.
If you have any questions just ask away, goodluck.

Karry in Massachusetts

25 months ago

This school sounds horrible, I can already tell how unprofessional it is. Id run the other way and fast.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

Karry in Massachusetts said: This school sounds horrible, I can already tell how unprofessional it is. Id run the other way and fast.

unprofessional or not it's better than waiting and wasting your time in the
other school's waiting list that could take 2-3 years. California only has 10 Caahep
accredited school, so either this private school or community college that has waiting list.
The 30k tuition fee will be worth it once you graduate and get a job compare to waiting
years in other school where you dont know when you are going to finish.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Karry in Massachusetts

25 months ago

How will you ever find a job competing with 100 graduates? This is the reason for sonography problems. It just sounds bad. Hopefully it won't be labeled as a crap program like Sanford brown or lose its accredation during your time.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

25 months ago

Karry in Massachusetts said: How will you ever find a job competing with 100 graduates? This is the reason for sonography problems. It just sounds bad. Hopefully it won't be labeled as a crap program like Sanford brown or lose its accredation during your time.

Well you can finish Radiography, Nursing or any allied health program and
still have to work your way up and compete with other graduates. Thats why
students need to be on top of their game to compete. You cant just hope and finish
the program and hope somebody will hire you, I know because I'm in allied health for
12 years now and thats how I started. Platt college might not be all professional like other
colleges but I know they pick ones with healthcare experince or the ones that has a real passion
in practicing sonography.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

kmhbeauty in Murrieta, California

19 months ago

Are any of you enrolled at Platt College now? I am thinking of going to the Ontario location for the BS in MDS program. It is no accredited but I would still be able to take my ARDMS test right after. I have an AS in business right now so I need my BS. The program is expensive, 60k expensive. Any advice would help. I know they Ontario is in the process of getting accredited but who knows when that will happen. Since LA location has been accredited for a year now, it gives me hope that this campus will also get accredited. The community colleges have too long of a wait list, running out of options.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.