How many exams do you do per shift?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

Jessica in Houston, Texas

87 months ago

Just curious what the average workload was for most people. On a day shift here it is between 8-11. On nights I usually do 5-8.

- Was this comment helpful?
Reply - Report abuse

sonicsuzie in Charlotte, North Carolina

52 months ago

I work three 12 hour shifts and in the summer can do as many as 17 exams in a day. We are a one machine, one sonographer department. The average is about 12 a day.

The other sonographers and I have been talking about we do not feel it is healthy to do that many. We all have back issues due to it.

Cathy in Brunswick County, NC

Reply - Report abuse

rvtultrasound in atlanta, Georgia

52 months ago

This is one reason why I do not have membership in any ultrasound society. When I asked for help from being over worked with almost 20 exams a day, DURING ACCREDITATION, I was pretty much told I was on my own.

It did not make any sense how the facility could pass accreditation on patient safety and care while the sonographers were being used up and spit out.

Reply - Report abuse

dbaryosef in Las Vegas, Nevada

52 months ago

rvtultrasound in atlanta, Georgia said: This is one reason why I do not have membership in any ultrasound society. When I asked for help from being over worked with almost 20 exams a day, DURING ACCREDITATION, I was pretty much told I was on my own.

It did not make any sense how the facility could pass accreditation on patient safety and care while the sonographers were being used up and spit out.

unfortunately no one cares about quality anymore... it's all about numbers and how much money a facility can make in a day...working in this field is starting to suck big time. It feel like being a slave...

Reply - Report abuse

Roger in San Francisco, California

52 months ago

I cant speak for others, but I will give my experience.

With adult echo, I've seen people average about 5-6 full study echo's a day and that is with a 5-6 techs.
Pediatric echo - varies, but I try to do about 6-8 echos a day.
In vascular - the lab I trained only had 2 techs doing most of the studies, 1 tech was only doing TCDs. I've seen those 2 techs kick out about 8-10 studies each.. but again that varies as carotid studies and DVT studies didnt take that long compared to renal or other studies.

Reply - Report abuse

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana

51 months ago

sonicsuzie in Charlotte, North Carolina said: I work three 12 hour shifts and in the summer can do as many as 17 exams in a day. We are a one machine, one sonographer department. The average is about 12 a day.

The other sonographers and I have been talking about we do not feel it is healthy to do that many. We all have back issues due to it.

Cathy in Brunswick County, NC

Same with me. One day, I had to do 28 exams. Figure that out in a 12 hour day with no breaks.

Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

dbaryosef in Las Vegas, Nevada said: unfortunately no one cares about quality anymore... it's all about numbers and how much money a facility can make in a day...working in this field is starting to suck big time. It feel like being a slave...

Wow, I use that term, too, "slave". I feel like one too...me and my bad back.

Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

dbaryosef in Las Vegas, Nevada said: unfortunately no one cares about quality anymore... it's all about numbers and how much money a facility can make in a day...working in this field is starting to suck big time. It feel like being a slave...

I wish we could talk...I wish we could get a bunch of techs together and start a company. We have the knowledge.

Reply - Report abuse

51 months ago

rvtultrasound in atlanta, Georgia said: This is one reason why I do not have membership in any ultrasound society. When I asked for help from being over worked with almost 20 exams a day, DURING ACCREDITATION, I was pretty much told I was on my own.

Same for Radiologists...everyone is being worked to death, but we are supposed to worry about the patients' surveys. Patients think a good exam is the FAST exam, to get in and out quickly, because that's what they are being told...

We are being treated as if we know nothing, and we are just snapping pictures. Just picture takers. Doing "scans", not exams.
Being told to work faster, do it faster. Where is the quality in this?

There was a site, a company about Ultrasound ergonomics. What are they doing? How come so many of us are being overworked and not a thing is said?

Reply - Report abuse

amazingtech in idaho falls, Idaho

21 months ago

I thought it was just me. But now it's gone beyond "how many exams do you do per shift" to how many exams do you do within a 24 hour period.

Why? because they have us up all night as well as pulling a 8-16 hour shift. Scan faster, scan faster.. that's all I'm seeing/hearing/feeling.

What's even worse, is when I saw this website: "I hate my Sonographer".. It was about a pregnant female who felt as though the sonographer was rude. She didn't "oooo" and "ahh" her baby, nor did she "smile" during the exam. She wasn't "friendly" and was "impersonal" "in a hurry".. okay.. I get that.

But the patients are so self absorbed, they have no idea that the sonographer probably was up all night, no breakfast, no breaks, no time to think between cases, or probably has a 20 min time limit per patient. And what's worse, the director won't tell the patients this - they just want to make sure the patient surveys are positive. If not, spit out the sonographer, and get a fresh one.

Reply - Report abuse

burned out in Stafford, Virginia

10 months ago

I work in a high risk ob practice. We are made to scan 20-25 patients a day and almost never ever a lunch break in a 9 hour day. I have seriously thought about changing my profession as this is just a horrible way to work and live.

Reply - Report abuse

10 months ago

Just letting the travelers know that there is a place in Oregon. They ADVERTISE it as Bend, OR. Nothing can be further from the truth. The recruiters know it, but they play stupid. I had a friend that interviewed with them, because the recruiter and the post states: "Day shift with rotating call".. The director didn't know much about the type of exams that they do. And it seemed to him that as long as he had a pulse, they would take him

Here's the deal, and this is just how sad the business is becoming. It's Madras, Oregon. The recruiters will even say: "East of Portland,OR" to make it look attractive. Madras is out in the middle of NOWHWERE, and Bend, is actually about an hour away from the location.

It gets worse, according to the traveler? It's an 80 hour shift. I'm not kidding. They claim it as: 4 - ten hour shifts back to back. It's STILL 80 hours. PLUS call. Since one tech is pregnant and leaving? And they can't seem to keep travelers there - it will be call EVERY OTHER NIGHT while working the 80 yes count them 80 hour shifts. And the last tech that left there, said she was called in on her DAYS OFF.

It gets even worse..and this is not a joke. The facility also have a NEW GRAD whom they want the traveler to teach - on top of the 80 hours, plus call, 5 days off (with call). After that traveler teaches that NEW GRAD? They kick out the traveler, and use the new grad for a lot cheaper.

This position pops up quite a few times? and I was ready to grab it. I trust a tech before i'll ever trust a recruiter. So, if you see it pop up? Run!!!

Reply - Report abuse

Morkn in Knoxville, Tennessee

10 months ago

Hi AmazinTech, this is common practice in the temp u/s field. That's why a temp tech in a phone interview needs to ask very specific questions about just about every aspect of the job. I would suggest to anyone taking temp jobs to insist they get the name of the city that the temp job is in before they take any interview. Also, these type of insane working conditions is how a temp (and the temp agency) makes some crazy money. To any normal person, 80 hrs is nuts, but if you need the money and making time and a 1/2 for anything over 40 hrs- it could bring in lots of cash if you know what you're getting into and negotiate a lucrative hourly wage. The goal of a temp tech that takes this insane job is to know what they are getting into and get the most amount of money possible. I would suggest to any temp tech reading this and interested in taking this position, to ask for $38/hr. Getting the O/T might be worth it living and working in a po-dunk area with that pay.

Reply - Report abuse

10 months ago

I asked about all that, Mork. They "fix it" so that it's called a 4/10's back to back.. Some how the facility finagles it so that you're start date is on Wednesdays, and ends the following Thursday. There's no overtime, because they've made sure of it. It's a little town east of Oregon, out in the middle of nowhere apparently, so they work it, so that the facility saves money.

Overtime is when you're over 80 hours. Not the usual 40.

Apparently, folks can do the hours, but it's the CALL DURING THE 80 SHIFT that's killing people. When i talked to the male tech? He negotiated a very high price of the call-back and overtime pay. The problem? They negotiated well - but because they were paying the tech "good money" for the call back, hourly wage, as well as OT? If he so much as joked about being up all night, etc., the wonderful employees would go running back to the director, saying he "complained".. It's a VERY small town. And we all know as travelers how they treat folks. (aka "outsiders")..

He said there was one female tech that was coming in to work. She asked that they would stipulate on her contract that they would just let her know - ask her before putting her on call while she was on her days off. I've personally been in facilities (especially one in Texas where one night you're OFF and boom, there's a nurse on the phone saying "you're on the call schedule". It's not uncommon.

When you get back to work - there's the lead tech or manager saying: "you're supposed to check".. (yeah, even when you're hours away in your home, and they just mark you down on the calendar without telling you.)

Long story short, the manager, wouldn't take her because they said she sounded like "some kind of diva".. Just hearing that, i figured, i'm not taking the job, because, i certainly would like to be at least asked before i take off for the weekend or my time off.. it's a show of respect, i think?

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

10 months ago

I'm confused about the hours. If a tech works 80 hrs in a week, how are they not getting time and 1/2 for the other 40? I would suggest all temps get paid on a weekly basis, not biweekly, so how does this happen? As far as complaining about call, that's an easy fix. Don't complain about call. As a temp, you can't complain about working conditions if you know what's good for you. The majority of places that need a temp (80%) are bad working conditions. That's why they need a temp. A temp shouldn't complain about the working conditions that they accepted. I would suggest that any temp taking this particular assignment price it right. That's the biggest problem with doing temp work is there's too much supply vs demand. Techs are taking jobs that are horrible without getting the compensation that reflects the stress. As a temp, I would not accept a job I was working 80 hrs a week and not getting paid time and 1/2. but, I've been doing it a long time and have a lot of experience and money, and don't have to take bad jobs like that. If the temps would get a brain and realize what they're worth and demand it, this type of bad business wouldn't happen.

Reply - Report abuse

10 months ago

Okay..

I get it.. you're confused.. yet you're telling people what they can and cannot feel. This is not a complaint. It's a warning. Now, I find it interesting that you're more concerned about the employer - versus the tech. What is your job anyway? Most techs would just say: "Hey, sounds like slave labor, i'll pass, thanks for the warning." Cut and dry.

Instead you're taking the stance as if you're a recruiter. I hope you're not.

Let's clear the confusion for you. 80 hours = 8 ten hour days straight time at this facility. What's so hard about that? Not unless you're kind of slow, which is what i'm starting to see here. If you don't like this post, or have no idea what you're talking about? Why not just leave the post open for people to read and keep it moving?

I'll repeat the schedule for you, Wed - Thurs = 8 days. 10 hour shifts with call EVERY OTHER DAY plus CALL ON YOUR DAYS OFF.

Also, no one is complaining? Where did that come from? It's to help other travelers to not walk into the same pile of crap that recruiters are pedaling - by not giving any or enough information. This is not uncommon.

It's not about "temps having a brain".. It's about recruiters/directors being "slick" in their advertisement of their job needs.

More information this facility is not stating: You will also be training a NEW GRAD while working your 80 hours (8/10 hour shifts). They're stating that you'll be rotating with 3 other techs.

Okay, from what i'm being told by my fellow traveler, the other traveler left (I wonder why), and the pregnant full timer is leaving soon. You'll be rotating every other day on call, plus a new grad, plus 80 hours straight time.

when this traveler came on board, he saw the writing on the wall, and got the hell out as soon as his contract was up. It's never how the recruiter or facilities likes to "paint the picture".

Reply - Report abuse

10 months ago

Thus,

please ignore comments from the peanut gallery, folks..

Travelers and full timers are using the internet these days to help each other. I'm hoping this warning will help others. Or, if you're looking for those hours, take the job, but just know what you're walking into.

Reply - Report abuse

10 months ago

AmazinTech, I'm sorry, I guess I am slow as I've never run into this type of work schedule before. Please tell the peanut gallery how a temp tech isn't getting O/T for these hours. What's the time off between the Thursday they stop until the next shift they work. Also, how does a perspective temp not know these hours before they accept the assignment? Is the facility giving the temp false info about the hours needed? From experience, I've known the recruiter is the last person that has reliable info about a temp job. It's up to the temp to ask the facility during the interview all details about the potential job.

Yes
/ No
Reply - Report abuse

10 months ago

Here's my suggestion for an interview (with the supervisor) for any potential temp job. "Is the job 40 hours per week guaranteed?" "What are the hours I'll be working?" "Is there call?" "How many days will I need to be on call?" "How often do the techs get called in?" "How many exams are usually done per day?" "How many co-workers will I have?" "What type of exams will I need to do?" Simple questions like these could get rid of crazy jobs real fast. All a temp has to do is ask the basic questions; unless the hospital flat out lies.

Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.