How many exams do you do per shift?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

Jessica in Houston, Texas

56 months ago

Just curious what the average workload was for most people. On a day shift here it is between 8-11. On nights I usually do 5-8.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

sonicsuzie in Charlotte, North Carolina

21 months ago

I work three 12 hour shifts and in the summer can do as many as 17 exams in a day. We are a one machine, one sonographer department. The average is about 12 a day.

The other sonographers and I have been talking about we do not feel it is healthy to do that many. We all have back issues due to it.

Cathy in Brunswick County, NC

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

rvtultrasound in atlanta, Georgia

20 months ago

This is one reason why I do not have membership in any ultrasound society. When I asked for help from being over worked with almost 20 exams a day, DURING ACCREDITATION, I was pretty much told I was on my own.

It did not make any sense how the facility could pass accreditation on patient safety and care while the sonographers were being used up and spit out.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No Reply - Report abuse

dbaryosef in Las Vegas, Nevada

20 months ago

rvtultrasound in atlanta, Georgia said: This is one reason why I do not have membership in any ultrasound society. When I asked for help from being over worked with almost 20 exams a day, DURING ACCREDITATION, I was pretty much told I was on my own.

It did not make any sense how the facility could pass accreditation on patient safety and care while the sonographers were being used up and spit out.

unfortunately no one cares about quality anymore... it's all about numbers and how much money a facility can make in a day...working in this field is starting to suck big time. It feel like being a slave...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Roger in San Francisco, California

20 months ago

I cant speak for others, but I will give my experience.

With adult echo, I've seen people average about 5-6 full study echo's a day and that is with a 5-6 techs.
Pediatric echo - varies, but I try to do about 6-8 echos a day.
In vascular - the lab I trained only had 2 techs doing most of the studies, 1 tech was only doing TCDs. I've seen those 2 techs kick out about 8-10 studies each.. but again that varies as carotid studies and DVT studies didnt take that long compared to renal or other studies.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Dontbelieveit in Crazyhorse, Indiana

20 months ago

sonicsuzie in Charlotte, North Carolina said: I work three 12 hour shifts and in the summer can do as many as 17 exams in a day. We are a one machine, one sonographer department. The average is about 12 a day.

The other sonographers and I have been talking about we do not feel it is healthy to do that many. We all have back issues due to it.

Cathy in Brunswick County, NC

Same with me. One day, I had to do 28 exams. Figure that out in a 12 hour day with no breaks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

20 months ago

dbaryosef in Las Vegas, Nevada said: unfortunately no one cares about quality anymore... it's all about numbers and how much money a facility can make in a day...working in this field is starting to suck big time. It feel like being a slave...

Wow, I use that term, too, "slave". I feel like one too...me and my bad back.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

20 months ago

dbaryosef in Las Vegas, Nevada said: unfortunately no one cares about quality anymore... it's all about numbers and how much money a facility can make in a day...working in this field is starting to suck big time. It feel like being a slave...

I wish we could talk...I wish we could get a bunch of techs together and start a company. We have the knowledge.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

20 months ago

rvtultrasound in atlanta, Georgia said: This is one reason why I do not have membership in any ultrasound society. When I asked for help from being over worked with almost 20 exams a day, DURING ACCREDITATION, I was pretty much told I was on my own.

Same for Radiologists...everyone is being worked to death, but we are supposed to worry about the patients' surveys. Patients think a good exam is the FAST exam, to get in and out quickly, because that's what they are being told...

We are being treated as if we know nothing, and we are just snapping pictures. Just picture takers. Doing "scans", not exams.
Being told to work faster, do it faster. Where is the quality in this?

There was a site, a company about Ultrasound ergonomics. What are they doing? How come so many of us are being overworked and not a thing is said?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.