What can I expect being a Unit Secretary?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (3)

Aimee in West Palm Beach, Florida

42 months ago

Today I attended a Nursing Support Open House at a local hospital and am applying for a position as a Unit Secretary. I have a background in Medical Transcription and just obtain my certification in Medical Assisting. I was told that the position is mostly clerical and will not be doing any clinical work. I am trained in phlebotomy, injection administration, EKG as well as billing, coding, and other office procedures. I was just wondering what duties are expected of me as a Unit Secretary.

Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

Scoots in Littleton, Colorado

33 months ago

Don't expect much. I have applied for U.S. jobs and I have 20+ years working in trauma(emergency department)as an ward clerk, unit secretary, CNA and then an EMT. I left the medical field full time in 1995 but stayed active in volunteering for many medical events, including mountain search and rescue. In 2008, I returned to school to return to the medical field working again with high risk patients. What I have come across is that hospitals hire people who will except lower wages and know little about medicine as a unit secretary. A friend of mine had a accident at her home and was taken to the emergency department by her daughter and was told to fill out paper work and then she would be called back. She waited over two hours and finally the pain had become to bad, she was crying. Her daughter went to find out why no one had called her back and the same unit secretary said she had not checked in even though she had given the same U.S. the paper work earlier. The U.S. told them it was not her fault that she lost the paper work and start filling it out again. One of the nurse's overheard the conversation and came out to find out what was going on. She took one look at my friend and immediately got her in the back. My friend had three broken vertebrea and a severe head injury. I have also known people who have gone to the E.D. with chest pain and told by U.S. to have a seat and fill out paper work. These people will take a low salary so my advice is work for a place that is concerned about the patient and not about hiring somebody who have no medical back ground. Good luck on your job hurting.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

notbuying it in Birmingham, Alabama

24 months ago

Scoots in Littleton, Colorado said: Don't expect much. I have applied for U.S. jobs and I have 20+ years working in trauma(emergency department)as an ward clerk , unit secretary, CNA and then an EMT . I left the medical field full time in 1995 but stayed active in volunteering for many medical events , including mountain search and rescue. In 2008, I returned to school to return to the medical field working again with high risk patients. What I have come across is that hospitals hire people who will except lower wages and know little about medicine as a unit secretary. A friend of mine had a accident at her home and was taken to the emergency department by her daughter and was told to fill out paper work and then she would be called back. She waited over two hours and finally the pain had become to bad, she was crying. Her daughter went to find out why no one had called her back and the same unit secretary said she had not checked in even though she had given the same U.S. the paper work earlier. The U.S. told them it was not her fault that she lost the paper work and start filling it out again. One of the nurse's overheard the conversation and came out to find out what was going on. She took one look at my friend and immediately got her in the back. My friend had three broken vertebrea and a severe head injury. I have also known people who have gone to the E.D. with chest pain and told by U.S. to have a seat and fill out paper work. These people will take a low salary so my advice is work for a place that is concerned about the patient and not about hiring somebody who have no medical back ground. Good luck on your job hurting.

you said all this to say what?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.