Chances for advancement as a Veterinary Assistant

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (4)

rift_in_time in Roy, Utah

61 months ago

What are the possibilities for advancement as a veterinary assistant? I know you could become a veterinary technician, but I'm not one for college, so is besides that is Veterinary Assistant a dead-end? What can I expect to top out salary wise as a vet assistant?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (26) Reply - Report abuse

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

60 months ago

Advancement opportunities will depend on the vet that hires you because the laws in Utah make little distinction between an educated veterinary technician and any other unlicensed assistant.

However, many vets, universities, etc are going to look for a degree despite the lack of laws governing veterinary technology just because a person with a degree has shown initiative, a true interest and dedication. This means that the veterinarian is more likely to end up with an employee that needs less in-depth on the job training and who is more likely to treat the job like a profession. So if you are really looking for a long-term sort of position you might want to consider getting a degree. And after working as an assistant for a while you really might WANT to know more and that degree program may look more enticing ;)

To find out about the salaries and positions you would be looking at in your state, try contacting the state veterinary medical or state veterinary technician associations. They will have better info for your specific area of the country.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Missionvet in Northridge, California

37 months ago

Most hospitals are pretty small. Your not talking big business. Even with a college degree the advancement is limited. You could work up to being an office manager or head technician. Depending on the laws of your state.
With a degree you could go to the shelter, lab medicine, teach at the college, or work for one of the drug companies as a sales rep. I worked as an outside sales rep for 10 years and it was a pretty good gig.

www.missionvet.com/vaccination.htm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

Missionvet in Northridge, California

37 months ago

There is minimal advancement for non licensed technicians. Most hospitals are not big business but small mom and pop shops. You could work up to be office manager or head technician.

If you have a degree you can go to a shelter, laboratory, drug company. I worked as an outside sales rep for 10 years and it was a pretty good gig, now I own my own hospital and I am an assistant or was and assistant. So I guess from my stand point the skys the limit. LOL

www.missionvet.com/vaccination.htm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.