Getting a veterinary assistant job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (12)

Host

How did you get your start doing veterinary assistant work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

Reply - Report abuse

Linda

112 months ago

I just got a job as a vet assistant i just aplied and they called me! i really like it alot they teach you everything you need to know! good luck

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Shannon in Toney, Alabama

111 months ago

I was a undergraduate in the practice of pre-veterinary medicine. I interviewed and got the job. They WILL teach you all you need to know (or you will pick it up before you are fired). Be prepared for heavy lifting and being bit and/or scratched.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Diane in Port Murray, New Jersey

108 months ago

I just took a course as a vets assistant. Thank you now I know I can just go in and apply.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No Reply - Report abuse

Wendy Hopkins in Chula Vista, California

107 months ago

I got into a trade school named PIMA Medical Institute or there are programs you get free through ROP at most high schools. Within a week after graduation I had found a job in a fast paced emergency hospital. I just hit the pavement going around hospital to hospital until I found those who were hiring and left resumes with those who were looking to hire in the near future. I got plenty of interview training from the counselor at school and just pretty much wanted to feel confident in what to say, how to sell myself, and always look good in appearance. I also went for a position with multiple duties so if I were to leave I would have plenty to put in my resume for the following job, shows I'm a multitasker. Don't be afraid to take a position that you think is too much handle, it made look like alot of duties on paper but when it comes to real life it really just becomes second nature and the more you do these duties the faster you'll get. Good Luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

jericho in Tacoma, Washington

105 months ago

I am currently looking into attending PIMA in WA. Please tell me about your experience with PIMA. Did you enjoy the class? Was it hard to get into? Was it affordable? Was the teacher nice?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

AMY in Dayton, Ohio

103 months ago

Diane in Port Murray, New Jersey said: I just took a course as a vets assistant. Thank you now I know I can just go in and apply.

THAT IS NOT TRUE I HAVE GRADUATED FROM VET ASSISTING SCHOOL W/4.0 GPA AND HAVE 20+YRS EXPERIENCE WITH ALL TYPES OF ANIMALS AND ILLNESSES AND STILL HAVE YET FOUND AN ASSISTANT JOB SO NO IT IS NOT EASY AND YOU DO NEED EXPERIENCE!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (24) Reply - Report abuse

Rebecca in Victoria, Texas

102 months ago

Host said: How did you get your start doing veterinary assistant work, and what career moves did you make to get to your current position?

Do you need a particular educational background?

I am 16 and I was a veterinary assistant already. I don't believe you need any type of education. I have not even graduated high school yet. I just love animals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Tiffany in Valrico, Florida

101 months ago

To amy.....there are so many jobs for vet assistants now days...i was cert. in 2006....and ive seen lots of opening..i believe its based off where u live

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

Volturno

86 months ago

Rebecca in Victoria, Texas said: I am 16 and I was a veterinary assistant already. I don't believe you need any type of education. I have not even graduated high school yet. I just love animals.

How did you become an assistant? I am looking to become one but I don't know what steps to take? I also love animals and I am 16.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

cindyrvt in Henderson, Texas

86 months ago

Becoming a veterinary assistant doesn't require any specific education or degree program. This is an entry level position in veterinary medicine and most times vets will train new staff on the job. Be aware that a veterinary assistant position is different from that of a "veterinary technician" in many states. Veterinary assisting courses will not be sufficient to allow you to take the National Veterinary Technician Exam or be credentialed as a veterinary technician.

However, this lack of required training/education is due to the fact that there weren't veterinary assistant programs available in the past that were approved by an veterinary medical associations. There have been lots of online veterinary assistant programs for years who's curriculum and information hasn't been written, checked or approved by professionals in the field. Now there are at least a few veterinary assistant programs where the curriculum is written and approved by veterinarians and credentialed veterinary technicians. There are even a couple that count as college credits should you decide to go on with a degree in veterinary technology. If you wish to take an online certification program, choose one that is approved by a state or national veterinary medical association or through a college that also offers and AVMA approved veterinary technology program. These types of certification courses will be better recieved by potential employers.

But in general you can simply send your resume with all animal experience listed to local veterinary hospitals and try to get some interviews. Working as an assistant is a wonderful way to determine if this type of work is what you really want to do and if you should look into getting a degree in veterinary technology.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No Reply - Report abuse

Catherine 8763@gmail. com

13 months ago

I am 27 years old and got hired when I was 16 in Chesapeake, va. As a Secretary/ assistant and now I live in mobile, al. And am trying to get a job as a vet assistant and am having a hard time getting my foot in the door anywhere around here. I have my right forearm and hand covered in tatoos. I don't know if that is what is hindering me or if there is anything that I can do to help my odds. Please help if you have any advice!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.