Online veterinary Technology Program

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

redtimdog in Dedham, Massachusetts

67 months ago

Has anyone enrolled in the Saint Petersburg college distance veterinary tech. program? It seems like a great program. They offer a B.A.S vet tech program as well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No Reply - Report abuse

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

67 months ago

Saint Pete's is an AVMA approved program, so I wouldn't be afraid to enroll though I haven't taken their courses. I have considered getting my bachelor's degree through them but their out of state tuition is ridiculous. For that same reason you might be better off looking at one of the other AVMA approvied online veterinary technology programs. San Juan College in New Mexico is AVMA approved and has much cheaper out of state tuition. I know the director and a couple of the instructors and wouldn't hesistate to take their program myself if I didn't already have my degree.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

redtimdog in Dedham, Massachusetts

67 months ago

Thank You cindyRVT! I looked into san juan. I here all good things about them and it is more affordable. Massachusetts vet tech assoc. has submitted legislation to License vet techs. I've been in the field at a small clinic for many years and have a degree in another field. I just started working at a large facility in Boston and they want all non cert. asst. to enroll in a AVMA program and/or apply to take the exam in Deleware. So I want to be sure that an online program is going to educated me more as a vet tech and help prepare me to take the NVTE eventually. Thx again for your info

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

67 months ago

Good luck with school!

neb2124 in Lawton, Oklahoma

64 months ago

Can anyone recommend a reputable online vet assistant program? I'm thinking of making a career change and this is where I'd like to start, but I don't know anything about vet assistant programs offered online. Thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

avmoo0801 in Cherry Hill, New Jersey

64 months ago

Does anyone have any information or feedback about an on-line program through Gatlin Education for a Veterinary Assistant? Thanks everyone for your comments!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

No state in the US has any educational requirements for working as a veterinary ASSISTANT. This is an entry level-position in a veterinary facility and training is generally done on the job. Veterinary assistants tend to do basic tasks such as animal restraint, basic care and sanitation, assist in patient monitoring, prepare instruments for use in surgeries or daily treatments, they may give medication as prescribed by the veterinarian, collect biological samples and perform basic diagnostic tests like reading fecals. They are not the equivalent of a formally educated veterinary technician.

There are voluntary educational opportunities for veterinary assistants, however these are not equivalent to a college degree program and are instead basic vocational training. There is no over-sight by a professional body to ensure that the majority of these programs provide adequate or correct information. There is no requirement for hands-on training and instructors often have little or no experience in the veterinary medical field. Therefore veterinary assisting programs are generally not well-respected by veterinarians.
If you intend to take a veterinary assisting program, you need to find one that is approved by a veterinary professional association or where the instructors are licensed vets or credentialed technicians.

JP

60 months ago

redtimdog in Dedham, Massachusetts said: Has anyone enrolled in the Saint Petersburg college distance veterinary tech. program? It seems like a great program. They offer a B.A.S vet tech program as well.

You are correct in what they offer, but...they do require you to have a Veterinarian Technician degree from an accredited AVMA VT program. Hope that helps.

SS in Pullman, Washington

60 months ago

redtimdog in Dedham, Massachusetts said: Has anyone enrolled in the Saint Petersburg college distance veterinary tech. program? It seems like a great program. They offer a B.A.S vet tech program as well.

I am currently enrolled in the BAS program at St. Pete's and would highly recommend it. I too am paying out of state tuition, but where else are you going to get a BAS on-line? I already have an AA from our state college, so this is my only option. Great program and worth the $$.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.