What are the best veterinary assistant qualifications and training to get ahead?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (26)

Host

What is the best training for becoming a veterinary assistant? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective veterinary assistant?

What do non-traditional career paths look like?

Reply - Report abuse

Steve in Middletown, Maryland

106 months ago

Host said: What is the best training for becoming a veterinary assistant? What types of ongoing training or certifications are necessary to be an effective veterinary assistant?

The best training for an equine Vet assistant is to have worked in a horse related field (i.e. racing, showing, etc.) for a few years...the Doc's usually like someone who has some knowledge of horse anatomy, giving shots and taking vitals and knowing how to handle a horse, especially the "cranky' ones...most of all, they want someone who is enthusiastic, doesn't mind getting dirty or putting in long hours..but the $$'s are good in return

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

utakaalexander in Lexington, Mississippi

101 months ago

I will love to work with you all and the animal's.There is notthing i can say but i love animal's.And kid's. So please give me a chance.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (15) Reply - Report abuse

Marquist in Irving, Texas

97 months ago

Hi I'm Marquist 16 years old. I want to be a veternarian assistant, if I can get a chance to help someone, I will. Give me a call at 817-416-7193

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (21) Reply - Report abuse

Erich in Chester, Virginia

92 months ago

I also would love to become a vet assistant. Ive been working at the Hope Well humane society for the past couple of weeks and I love the work and the animals i work around. But I have a question I do have a physical disability with my legs but i can still walk. Would this type of job be bad for me to do. I was wondering if there was any heavy lifting involved with being a vet assistant. If some one could answer me this that would be great.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

Bill in Northridge, California

92 months ago

Erich in Chester, Virginia said: I also would love to become a vet assistant. Ive been working at the Hope Well humane society for the past couple of weeks and I love the work and the animals i work around. But I have a question I do have a physical disability with my legs but i can still walk. Would this type of job be bad for me to do. I was wondering if there was any heavy lifting involved with being a vet assistant. If some one could answer me this that would be great.

Yes Heavy lifting is a part of the job. You have to lift every animal that comes in to the hospital. What you may want to do is start as a receptionist or try to work at a cat clinic.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Erich in Chester, Virginia

91 months ago

thank you!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (9) Reply - Report abuse

utaka_alexadner in Shreveport, Louisiana

91 months ago

Utaka Alexander in Lexington, Mississippi said: I will love to work with you all and the animal's.There is notthing i can say but i love animal's.And kid's. So please give me a chance.

I lives in newellton louisiana Not mississippi.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

utaka_alexadner in Shreveport, Louisiana

91 months ago

I dont live in misissippi.I live in newellton louisiana.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (13) Reply - Report abuse

Carolyn Knight in Topeka, Kansas

91 months ago

My name is Carolyn and my question is. I am going to school right now for Clinical Medical Assistant. I want to go in to a job to maybe be a Vet. Assistant. My classes are Medical Terminology and Anatomy and physiology and Medical Front office skills and Medical law and ethics. I just want to know if I can use this expience to work in a vets office.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

Hannah Ballard in Mobile, Alabama

82 months ago

i wont to have a job as a 13. i wont to help people.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

cindyrvt in Henderson, Texas

82 months ago

Veterinary assisting is an entry-level position in the veterinary medical field and training is generally on done on the job. There are currently no states in the US that require any sort of education or specific training to work as a veterinary assistant. There are, however, lots of veterinary assisting certification courses available. The problem is that there is no professional body that oversees veterinary assistant certification programs and many of them are taught by people with no experience or education in veterinary medicine. It is very important when choosing a veterinary assisting program that you look for one that is designed or approved by a veterinary professional organization like a state veterinary medical association or one that is taught by a college that has an American Veterinary Medical Association accredited veterinary technology program or taught by veterinary professionals.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

82 months ago

Carolyn Knight in Topeka, Kansas said: My name is Carolyn and my question is. I am going to school right now for Clinical Medical Assistant. I want to go in to a job to maybe be a Vet. Assistant. My classes are Medical Terminology and Anatomy and physiology and Medical Front office skills and Medical law and ethics. I just want to know if I can use this expience to work in a vets office.

Yes, your training will be of value in a veterinary facility however there is much that is not going to be of value because it is geared towards human medicine. You will also not have recieved any specialized training in assisting with non-human species. You would be better off to take courses specifically designed for veterinary assisting or veterinary technology if you plan to go into the veterinary medical field. Or at least take additional courses geared towards veterinary assisting on top of your medical assisting courses.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

DavidChamp83aol.com

74 months ago

Hello
My name is David Champ.I live in Woodbridge Virginia,i would be
interested in working for an equine veterinarian as an assistant
or a tech.
I worked for many years at the racetrack,with both thoroughbreds
and harness horses,I worked at a show barn for eleven years
and did a tour at the equine center in Morven park Virginia.
Am currently taking courses at Northern Virginia Community
College for a duel degree in veterinary technologyand business.
Am reliabe, strong, gentle with horses and am willing to
travel to my job.
Thanks David Champ

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

brookeL in Shreveport, Louisiana

74 months ago

hi..im just trying to find a college that has vet tech programs in my area...i need to stay close to home for my son...but u would not want to do anything other than vet tech..so..if any one who knows where there is a college anywhere near me..please help me out..i cant seem to find them

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

brookeL in Shreveport, Louisiana

74 months ago

oops i ment I would not want to do anything other than that ..lol

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

willishamilton in Hamilton, Ohio

73 months ago

I worked retail for 14 years and i recently decided to follow my heart and became a vet tech. I have enrolled in an online college for vet tech and i have an appointment for orientation at a shelter to volunteer. However, my problem is all the vet offices that are hiring what someone with experience and wont give me a chance, what should i do?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

No state in the US has any educational requirements for working as a veterinary ASSISTANT. This is an entry level-position in a veterinary facility and training is generally done on the job. Because most training is done on the job it is often very cursory and lacks the depth and breadth of a formal education. There are voluntary educational opportunities, however these are not equivalent to a college degree program and are instead basic vocational training. There is no over-sight by a professional body to ensure that the majority of these programs provide adequate or correct information. There is no requirement for hands-on training and instructors often have little or no experience or education in the veterinary field. There are a handful of certification programs that are designed and approved by veterinary professional organizations or that are offered by colleges which also offer accredited veterinary technology programs and these are better choices for someone who wants to be a veterinary assistant. All of these programs offer certification as a veterinary assistant, but this certification is not legally recognized or required by any state in the US.

So, generally you would submit a resume listing all of your animal experienc (including the kinds of pets you have owned) and any work experience and hope for someone to call you. You may also want to try volunteering at local clinics because volunteer positions often lead to paid work.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (8) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

72 months ago

Brooke,
You can find a list of AVMA accredited veterinary technology programs through the AVMA website:
www.avma.org/education/cvea/vettech_programs/vettech_programs.asp

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

melissa in Leesburg, Florida

72 months ago

tell me what i need do get ahead on my classes?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Gummybears in Saint Louis, Missouri

54 months ago

I am 11 and i want to be a vet when I grow up, i got a heart listener I tested it on a my pets, i was born with pets in my life and i just want to find a good college rite now or a least be a assistant for now to see how they do it

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Emily Vine in Southampton, United Kingdom

48 months ago

I'm 11 and I really want to be a vet. I just went to PDSA and literally took all the leaflets. I also got a clip with an injured cat on it. I've read all the Lucy Daniels books and I know what FIV is. It's when an animal's immune system is weak. I read it in Lucy Daniel's book beagle in a basket. It's what happens to Martha. I hope I can get a job. Right now I don't care if it's handing out leaflets or keep the pets company.

Name: Emily Vine

Address: 2 Dundee Road, Southampton, Hampshire, SO172NB

Email: Keironemilybra@aol.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

kaithlyn in Greencastle, Pennsylvania

46 months ago

hi im 11 years old and i wnna learn alot about vets?and i think this is great for young kids

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

KAT the Dog Lover in Long Beach, California

45 months ago

Volunteering at a local veterinary clinic is a good way of getting experience; however, due to insurance purposes, there may not be many opportunities for volunteering at some private veterinary clinics or hospitals.

Nonprofits and shelters offer plenty of volunteer opportunities; however, shelters generally won't provide much clinical/medical training, unless they have on-site veterinary services and offer a volunteer program.

Spay/neuter clinics and mobile services always need extra help since they perform at high volume.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kelli in Porter, Texas

44 months ago

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas said: No state in the US has any educational requirements for working as a veterinary ASSISTANT . This is an entry level -position in a veterinary facility and training is generally done on the job. Because most training is done on the job it is often very cursory and lacks the depth and breadth of a formal education . There are voluntary educational opportunities, however these are not equivalent to a college degree program and are instead basic vocational training. There is no over-sight by a professional body to ensure that the majority of these programs provide adequate or correct information. There is no requirement for hands-on training and instructors often have little or no experience or education in the veterinary field. There are a handful of certification programs that are designed and approved by veterinary professional organizations or that are offered by colleges which also offer accredited veterinary technology programs and these are better choices for someone who wants to be a veterinary assistant. All of these programs offer certification as a veterinary assistant, but this certification is not legally recognized or required by any state in the US.

So, generally you would submit a resume listing all of your animal experienc (including the kinds of pets you have owned) and any work experience and hope for someone to call you. You may also want to try volunteering at local clinics because volunteer positions often lead to paid work.

I'm very interested in this process - could you please email me some Credied Schools please at Kellimwoodz@live.com your comment was an answered prayer for me!!! God Bless! Kelli

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Kelli in Porter, Texas

44 months ago

I'm very interested in this process - could you please email me some Credied Schools please at Kellimwoodz@live.com your comment was an answered prayer for me!!! I am 45 yrs old have always wanted to be a VET, however, little to late for that, but i do have time to get into the Love of my Life and what i feel is my purpose - God Bless! Kelli

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.