What qualifications do you need to become a vet assistant?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (1 to 50 of 351)
Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

Kate in Brisbane, Australia

78 months ago

I was thinking about being a vet assistant once out of school and would like to know the qualifications needed to become one. Also, is it required to go to university to become one or can a person just go through tafe to become a vet assistant. If anyone knows anything about what the job requires, could you please inform me. Thanks

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (692) / No (405) Reply - Report abuse

William O'Leary in Northridge, California

77 months ago

I know vet assistants that make min wage and vet assistants that make 20.00 per hour.
It depends on what you know, how hard you work, where you work and if your licensed.

www.missionvet.com

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (222) / No (237) Reply - Report abuse

Aidan Noctor in Manchester, United Kingdom

75 months ago

I was thinking about being a vet assistant once out of school and would like to know the qualifications needed to become one. also do you have to go the collage or university or can you just go and become one when you leave school,the do the people there show you what do and what the rules are.

Thank You.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (200) / No (214) Reply - Report abuse

Caroline Richardson in Manchester, United Kingdom

75 months ago

I`m a qualified Vet Nurse (VN) in the UK with 11 years experience - the qualification in the UK is supplied under The Royal College of Vet surgeons. I had to do two years at college whilst working in a practice and sat both written and practical exams in order to gain my qualification. Does anyone know if I were to move to Canada how this would compare to qualifications for vet assistants there ? Would i need to complete further study or would I already be qualified to work ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (124) / No (163) Reply - Report abuse

heather in Reading, Pennsylvania

75 months ago

i'm a veterinary assistant at an animal hospital and i didnt even start college yet. they are training me there. so no you do not need to go to school to become one.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (314) / No (140) Reply - Report abuse

Lyn in New Braunfels, Texas

75 months ago

heather in Reading, Pennsylvania said: i'm a veterinary assistant at an animal hospital and i didnt even start college yet. they are training me there. so no you do not need to go to school to become one.

how much is the starting pay if you dont mind me asking?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (135) / No (155) Reply - Report abuse

tysone in Kitchener, Ontario

75 months ago

Kate in Brisbane, Australia said: I was thinking about being a vet assistant once out of school and would like to know the qualifications needed to become one. Also, is it required to go to university to become one or can a person just go through tafe to become a vet assistant. If anyone knows anything about what the job requires, could you please inform me. Thanks

im also trying the same thing, and a vet ass. needs just an eng course and can be done from home or school in 6 to 9 months. or mature student can get you in. some places will hire you and train, but its definetley an asset to have a background in animal care or assistant. the humane society told me to have a background in some security to work with distressed animals and peoples of society.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (76) / No (115) Reply - Report abuse

Future Vet! in Martinsville, Virginia

74 months ago

Im 11.I want to be a vet when I get older. What qualifications do I need to be one?
Im very good with animals.Just now Im treating my dog with a huge cut.I plan to go to Virginia Tech,which is a great school to go to if you want to be a vet.Please help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (86) / No (140) Reply - Report abuse

Future Vet! in Martinsville, Virginia

74 months ago

To be a vet, you need lots of experience with animals.And to get into a good vet school you need very good grades, no c's,d's,or f's.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (113) / No (99) Reply - Report abuse

Elizabeth in Stuart, Florida

74 months ago

I have worked as a Veterinary Assistant in two vet clinics. You can probably start working as one as early as 16, which is when I started. Most palces are usually willing to teach you the things you need to know, especially if they know you are interested in becoming a veterinarian. You do not go to school to become a vet assistant. You can however, go to school to become a veterinary technician, it is two years of college after high school. Vet Techs are like the "nurses" to the veterinarian, whereas the Vet assistants do the dirty work like cleaning, and helping out some (but you gotta start somewhere!) You can also become a Vet Tech after working in a vet clinic for at least 2-3 years as an assistant and gaining experience. Vet assistants usually make just above minimum wage and vet techs make over $20/hr usually.

Although its tough to start out doing the cleaning work and not getting paid a lot, if you really love animals and wanna become a Vet, it will be sooooo worth it and will look gret on applications/resumes!

I got my jobs by calling up about 20 vets offices in my area and asking if they had openings. And if none of them do, you can ask to volunteer, do that for a few weeks, and then see if they will hire you.

GOOD LUCK!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (274) / No (67) Reply - Report abuse

Ronnie in Olympia, Washington

74 months ago

To become a Veterinary Assistant does not require any degree. But, that being said a lot of it is who you know, and how much you know. Most Assistants start out as (ACP's) Animal Care personel. Working there way up from the bottom. Some people do a year to 2 year certficate program.Which could really help if in the hiring process. I myself took a alternative high school course for 2 years, a "Pre-Veterinary Technician" course which taught me anatomy, physiology, Labratory procedures, microbiology, parasitology, and numerous other valuble skills and knowledge! Though, this is a pretty rare option. And most High School kids are not ready to take on the demand and pressure of being an assistant. I work in a 9 doctor Hospital, working about 45-60 hours a week. Then theres Emerg's that come in, as well as other things. I LOVE my job, though its temporary because you never stay an assistant, you have to grow, and become more, or else you'll get fired by some young buck that can do your job twice as fast and for barley above minimum wage, how most Assistant jobs are. It may be diffrent across the country, and how the AVMA decides what assistants can and cant do between each state. But my job consists of about 35% receptionist/ Client communication duties, and the rest more technical/skill demanding things. I do paperwork, make appointments, call clients, I'm the first person they see in the exam room, I get there weight, temperture, vital signs, and see whats going on in the room. Narrow down whats going on with the patient so when my doctor comes in he can get straight to the problems, cutting down on a lot of the busy exam room talk that always happens. I run diagnostic tests that they request of me, Updating my doctor on whats coming next through the day, Messages on the Voice mail. As well as help technicians with whatever they need an extra hand on. Its a mixture of many diffrent things,I also assist in surgery. Every hour,every minute is diffrentNo doubt you'lllovei

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (194) / No (53) Reply - Report abuse

shauna in Niagara Falls, New York

74 months ago

I am 13 years old and when I get older i want to become a vet. I love animals. Does anyone know of a good vet school near me? Even one far away?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (100) / No (149) Reply - Report abuse

nikita vineyard

74 months ago

I recently have been employed at a animal hospital and they say they are willing to train me as a vet tech assistant which is great because at this pooint in my life I'm looking for a career I did not graduate from high school but now this is more motivation to get my ged to become a certified vet technican and god willing in the future a vet and possible my own practice but for now I have to start at the bottem and work my way up wish me luck on this

And good luck to those out there who are in a similiar situation I know its possible if you just believe and work hard and retain as much experience and information you can.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (89) / No (70) Reply - Report abuse

Liz in Madison, Wisconsin

74 months ago

Cornell University is THE BEST veterinary school in the world, let alone the US... Tufts in Boston also has a good vet school. But if you are limited on money, you may want to look up a public institution. Just type 'Vet Schools' into google, im sure it will tell you where each one is.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (48) / No (68) Reply - Report abuse

Stephanie Deckert in Erie, Pennsylvania

73 months ago

shauna in Niagara Falls, New York said: I am 13 years old and when I get older i want to become a vet. I love animals. Does anyone know of a good vet school near me? Even one far away?

I have always wanted to be a vet too. Once i turned 25 with 2 kids i thought that my dreams had died along with my childhood but i am about to graduate from Great Lakes Institute of Technology in Erie, Pa. I will not be a Veterinarian but i will be a Veterinary Assistant. I still get to work with animals every day and enjoy knowing that it is never too late. If you are interested in checking out info on our school we have a great hands-on program

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (68) / No (59) Reply - Report abuse

ashley mcalister in Easley, South Carolina

73 months ago

i need some inforamtion on the school thing i am doing a report. i need alot so tell me any helpful information

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (26) / No (81) Reply - Report abuse

123 in Madison, Wisconsin

73 months ago

Just look it up on the internet, try aavmc.org, and look at each school's own information about it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (45) / No (53) Reply - Report abuse

Steph Hardy in Manchester, United Kingdom

73 months ago

Can anyone help?? I am currently wanting to take a completely new career path. I have worked in an office environment since leaving college but have always had a keen interest in animal welfare. Unfortunately, I have no clue where to begin. If anyone could give me some hints on college courses or any way of getting on the first rung of the ladder I would be very grateful.
Many thanks.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (44) / No (64) Reply - Report abuse

Brandon B. in Tecumseh, Kansas

73 months ago

I was wanting to become a vet but i am only 15. but what qualifications do i need?????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (43) / No (66) Reply - Report abuse

gail avery in Winston Salem, North Carolina

73 months ago

im so lost ben in school to be a vet receptionist and only a month and so confused need help can i get some??????

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (65) Reply - Report abuse

Felicia Maurer in Lima, Ohio

73 months ago

heather in Reading, Pennsylvania said: i'm a veterinary assistant at an animal hospital and i didnt even start college yet. they are training me there. so no you do not need to go to school to become one.

Thats axactly what a DVM told me and he wanted to hire me right away! I had already sterted school and he told me to drop out and work for him.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (64) Reply - Report abuse

jay in United Kingdom

73 months ago

look the best chance of becoming a vet or anything is to do your best at school. if you dont pass for the vet streight away you can take the nvq test up to lvl 3 in animal welfare. then you work your way up throught the grades as the nvq lvl 3 is like having high gcse's in that field of work, then take the BTEC national diploma and then the degree then train as a vet

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (46) Reply - Report abuse

Liz in Madison, Wisconsin

72 months ago

In the US, the only way you are going to get into veterinary school is to do really well in college and on your GRE (standardized test) AND to get at least 2 years working/volunteering at a veterinary clinic or other animal care business.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (42) Reply - Report abuse

holly tierney in Worksop, United Kingdom

72 months ago

hi, im from sheffield in the uk and im nerli 14 and i am an animal lover and i wont to work with them and study them in collage and university but i dont know what exacly i can do with them because i dont wont to be a vet because i dont wont to do surgical things but i do want to help them and care for them but i just dont know what....its complicated lol x

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (48) Reply - Report abuse

Lynn in North East, Maryland

72 months ago

I have no experience in the Veterinary world but I have always wanted to work with animals. I was just offered a job as a Vet Assistant @ $8.50/hr. The vet has promised me that if I work hard and learn everything I can from her, she will pay me more. This is a big pay cut and a big chance I am taking. If anyone out there has been in this situation and has some advise PLEASE send it!!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (54) / No (33) Reply - Report abuse

Micheal in Brampton, Ontario

72 months ago

Hey im 15 and im looking to become a vet technician and i was wondering what are the qualifications i need to become one. Also if you don't mind me asking how much would my starting salary be at and does any one know any vet clinics or vet hospitals near me that would be willing to hire a vet assistant at the moment. Just one more thing does anyone know any good schools to go to, to become a vet technician?
Thanks, Micheal

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (39) / No (46) Reply - Report abuse

jennifer gonzales in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma

72 months ago

what background or training would i need in oder to ce hired

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (19) / No (44) Reply - Report abuse

natasha in Fontana, California

72 months ago

Lynn in North East, Maryland said: I have no experience in the Veterinary world but I have always wanted to work with animals. I was just offered a job as a Vet Assistant @ $8.50/hr. The vet has promised me that if I work hard and learn everything I can from her, she will pay me more. This is a big pay cut and a big chance I am taking. If anyone out there has been in this situation and has some advise PLEASE send it!!

I just applied for a vet assistant job with no experience. It was a job in Los Angeles and the ad stated if you have no license the start pay is $14.65 and if you do have a license its $17 but thats in Los angeles California. I am an acute care technician so that should count for something....but i do hope i get a call back.

How did you go about getting an interview??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (23) / No (37) Reply - Report abuse

monica in Arlington Heights, Illinois

72 months ago

can anybody tell me wich school is the best in chicago area in veterinary tech programs??

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (45) Reply - Report abuse

Rose in Somerdale, New Jersey

72 months ago

You don't neccecarily have to go to collage to be a vet assistant. For a vet tech, yes. However, I go to transition school for vet assistant, and if you pass the course, they give you a full vocational certificate. Plus they offer job search help, so that can come in handy.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (30) Reply - Report abuse

Kitkat94 aka Katie in Devon, United Kingdom

72 months ago

Could someone please tell me around how much a veterinary assistant earns a year.
It is a veterinary assistant that helps in the back with the cages and the things like that isn't it. Its just i'm not to keen on blood and surgeries. And last of all what qualifications and how long at college do i need????????????????? please write back with all the info to my questions thank you.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (32) / No (35) Reply - Report abuse

faye in Bradford, United Kingdom

72 months ago

Approximately eight years (four years of undergraduate work plus four years of graduate work).
Veterinary nurses can earn between £15000 and £20000 a year, depending on experience. Senior veterinary nurses can earn £20000 to £24000.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (22) / No (33) Reply - Report abuse

Amanda in Dallas, Georgia

71 months ago

Lyn in New Braunfels, Texas said: how much is the starting pay if you dont mind me asking?

Then why in georgia are they telling me to go to school to become and if I drop out themn I cant become on?
My email is ftvkw1@yahoo.com and my name is amanda and i am 18teen

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (42) Reply - Report abuse

Amy Croslegh in Kirkcaldy, United Kingdom

71 months ago

Kate in Brisbane, Australia said: I was thinking about being a vet assistant once out of school and would like to know the qualifications needed to become one. Also, is it required to go to university to become one or can a person just go through tafe to become a vet assistant. If anyone knows anything about what the job requires, could you please inform me. Thanks

Hi Kate my name is Amy and to be a vet you have to get five straight A's so it's quite alot a want to become a vet ever since the age of five and a still do.
I hope i have helped you.
scrible back soonish. x Bye and goodluck x

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (44) Reply - Report abuse

Karie Candelario in Pennsauken, New Jersey

71 months ago

Hey.. Well i have decided to take a vet assistnat program online by penn foster because i wanna become a vet tech later on...will my certificate degree be useful when I go to become a vet tech? I was checking the classes included in becoming a vet tech and their basically the same as vet assistant! Can someone also tell me if penn foster is a good school?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (25) / No (43) Reply - Report abuse

Shannon in Lincoln, Nebraska

71 months ago

Karie Candelario in Pennsauken, New Jersey said: Hey.. Well i have decided to take a vet assistnat program online by penn foster because i wanna become a vet tech later on...will my certificate degree be useful when I go to become a vet tech? I was checking the classes included in becoming a vet tech and their basically the same as vet assistant! Can someone also tell me if penn foster is a good school?

Hey Karie!! I've started taking the Vet Assistant program from Penn Foster as well!! I like it a lot. As far as their accreditation I don't know 100 % They sound like they're a good place to learn from and from what I've learned so far I'd say even if their not accredited that the information you'll learn will help you regardless. Hope you're enjoying the program as much as I am!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (35) Reply - Report abuse

Taylor P. in Moncks Corner, South Carolina

70 months ago

well thats the problem..i dont know what you need to be a veterinary assitant. i what to..really bad cuz im in love with animals.! eversince i was like five i was in love with animals. and now im 15 and im trying my best to study on how to become a caretaker for animals. or somthing like that. i just need to know where i should go to learn more about how to become a vet. i love animals and i what to make a difference for them. i live in south carolina (hanahan).!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

Taylor P. in Moncks Corner, South Carolina

70 months ago

Karie Candelario in Pennsauken, New Jersey said: Hey.. Well i have decided to take a vet assistnat program online by penn foster because i wanna become a vet tech later on...will my certificate degree be useful when I go to become a vet tech? I was checking the classes included in becoming a vet tech and their basically the same as vet assistant! Can someone also tell me if penn foster is a good school?

hey..karie im just like you im hoping for someone to help me out with what i want to be in life when i get older. i love animals and thats what i tell peple. and there like then you should do something with animals and i started looking around about being a vet. and i dont know nothing about penn foster school. sorry!..:( but hope you make it..:)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

brook42 in Statesville, North Carolina

70 months ago

Im 14 yrs old and i wonnt to become a vet when i get older but i dont know what i need to get there i need some help geting there. What should i do ?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (14) / No (34) Reply - Report abuse

vicky lines in eastbourne in Lewes, United Kingdom

70 months ago

holly tierney in Worksop, United Kingdom said: hi, im from sheffield in the uk and im nerli 14 and i am an animal lover and i wont to work with them and study them in collage and university but i dont know what exacly i can do with them because i dont wont to be a vet because i dont wont to do surgical things but i do want to help them and care for them but i just dont know what....its complicated lol x

hi you could be a kennel worker that is what i'm doin at the moment its good fun and you don't have to do any of the gross bit.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

Teara in Syracuse, New York

70 months ago

I am 12 years Old and was wondering if you know any places I could go to be an assistant or watch and learn more about Becoming a veterinarian because I want to be a veterinary when I get older.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (36) Reply - Report abuse

vicky lines in eastbourne in Lewes, United Kingdom

70 months ago

i'm a kennel worker and what i did to get the job was i sent an email to all my local vet and waited for them to get back to me thats all you can do but because you are so young thay may not allow you to join the team

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (12) / No (36) Reply - Report abuse

Christiane in Bridgetown, Barbados

70 months ago

I am 11 years old and I want to be a veterinarian when I am older and I have to write about it for school. I was wondering if anyone who is a vet or has had experience can tell me what qualifications you'd need, what a work day would be like, how much would I get paid and information along those lines. Thank you alot. =]

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (41) Reply - Report abuse

Katie in Kentucky in Eminence, Kentucky

70 months ago

i am really hoping that i will be able to get a job when i get older for being a veterinarian. I am only 14 about to turn 15 and i love to work with animals a lot. I love to help them if they are really hurt and just about anything. I am writing a I-search Paper for school and i kind of need some help on what kind of information i need that is really good.
Do any of you have anything?
♥Katie

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (40) Reply - Report abuse

diane adkins in Indianapolis, Indiana

70 months ago

I ma studing fo a veterinarian assistant program at stratford career institute it going to take me 6mths to 2yr depends on my self ..im also getting into nursing assistant.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (35) Reply - Report abuse

funmi gbolade in Hyattsville, Maryland

70 months ago

im 14 i want to be a vet when i grow up but my dad says i should start by becomiming a vetenarary assistant will it be hard wat do i do being there

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (15) / No (35) Reply - Report abuse

crystal_duhh in Duluth, Minnesota

69 months ago

Lyn in New Braunfels, Texas said: how much is the starting pay if you dont mind me asking?

$20.00 an hour

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (17) / No (37) Reply - Report abuse

crystal_duhh in Duluth, Minnesota

69 months ago

brook42 in Statesville, North Carolina said: Im 14 yrs old and i wonnt to become a vet when i get older but i dont know what i need to get there i need some help geting there. What should i do ?

you should take some courses in highschool that will help you through a medical school. like biology. any where in the biology section then attend a medical school to get your degree/license.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (18) / No (27) Reply - Report abuse

gigi in West Palm Beach, Florida

69 months ago

crystal_duhh in Duluth, Minnesota said: you should take some courses in highschool that will help you through a medical school. like biology. any where in the biology section then attend a medical school to get your degree/license.

you could even go to a high school that has vet assistant as an elective.i am in one now and we get hands on training and learn how to work with animals.and if this shows up on your resume you can get a good job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (20) / No (31) Reply - Report abuse

jackie in Portland, Oregon

69 months ago

Seriously.. You don't need to go to school to be a vet assistant? Am I just wasting my time and money?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (31) / No (60) Reply - Report abuse

Page:   1  2  3  4  Next »   Last »

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.