isearch for ajob

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

hamdanmostafa in Sudan

89 months ago

i search for vet assistant job

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (12) Reply - Report abuse

Jessica Bond in Halifax, Nova Scotia

68 months ago

I'm graduating from Compu College with a Vet Assistant Diploma, does anyone on here know of any assistant jobs in the halifax area? I've noticed that no matter where I look there's no jobs to be found.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (28) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

Sara T in Niagara Falls, Ontario

68 months ago

Jessica Bond in Halifax, Nova Scotia said: I'm graduating from Compu College with a Vet Assistant Diploma, does anyone on here know of any assistant jobs in the halifax area? I've noticed that no matter where I look there's no jobs to be found.

I'm looking at taking that program...What is your oppinion of it?
The woman I spoke with told me that near the end of the program they do a 4 week co-op placement and assist in job placement. Are you looking for work in Dartmouth too? My husband and I are wanting to move our family to Halifax / Dartmouth but I need to have a decent job.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Julie in Moncton, New Brunswick

64 months ago

Halifax dartmouth area is over saturated with animal assistants and techs because there is more than one school pumping them out. it may be hard for you to find something.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

Lee-Ann in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

59 months ago

I'm taking this course at the Maritime Business College in the fall.. Whats the pay? Is it a good job? I read some of the comments. And theres no job openings?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (24) / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

lilmama21489@yahoo.com in San Antonio, Texas

58 months ago

hamdanmostafa in Sudan said: i search for vet assistant job

i am 12 i wantg to be an assistant i want to learn to be an veternarian please tell me i can please i need a offer for this summer.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

blu87 in Falls Church, Virginia

49 months ago

What makes the job so stressful?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

49 months ago

The fact that you must work in a situation where you see sick and injured animals day after day along with their worried and stressed owners. You see people and animals in situations that are far from perfect and happy on a daily basis and that is hard to deal with. People in this field also typically get attached to their patients and loosing them is hard on their veterinary caregivers, not just their owners.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Missionvet in Northridge, California

49 months ago

I think clients have no idea how hard veterinarians and technicians work and how much they care for their patients. There is also the blame part of the career. Blame is a normal stage of grief. It is very common for clients to want to blame the animal hospital, veterinarian or staff when their animal passes away. A large percentage of time they do not take in to account that the pet was hit by a car, fell off a building, in a fight, etc etc and the hospital staff did everything in their power to save the pet. I find dealing with this aspect of the job to be very stressful.

www.missionvet.com/Emergency.htm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

blu87 in Laurel, Maryland

49 months ago

Is there anything else that is stressful? Like, is there a lot going on where an assistant would need to multitask a lot? Or what about the physical parts of the job?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Missionvet in Northridge, California

49 months ago

I think the is multi tasking in most jobs.

On a regular basis I will come to work to be told that patient 1 needs x-rays and blood drawn. patient two was suppose to have surgery completed 2 hours ago and they have not had a chance to start yet. patient 3 needs IV cath, fluids, injections etc, the drug order needs to be placed, both exam rooms are full and dr wants weight, temp and cpr before he goes in, and their are people in the waiting area who are getting impatient.

www.missionvet.com/Emergency.htm

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (6) / No Reply - Report abuse

Rebecca in Omaha, Nebraska

47 months ago

I was thinking about doing an online college course for vet assisting.. is it really necessary to have this extra training?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

46 months ago

No, it is not. NO state in the US has any requirements for education or credentialing to work as a veterinary assistant. Before spending your time and money on a training program, I would recommend that you volunteer at or work at a veterinary clinic and see if you even like the work. Then decide once you have a bit of experience and knowledge under your belt if you want to take a veterinary assistant certification program knowing that it's not legally required or recognized anywhere or if you want to enroll in a college degree program which will prepare you to sit for the credentialing exams to be a veterinary technician in your state.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jimmy in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

45 months ago

Jessica Bond in Halifax, Nova Scotia said: I'm graduating from Compu College with a Vet Assistant Diploma, does anyone on here know of any assistant jobs in the halifax area? I've noticed that no matter where I look there's no jobs to be found.

I worked as a Vet Assistant for 2 years.Your best bet is to agree to volunteer for awhile at a clinic. Animal hospitals want trained assistants because it takes months to teach new graduates. The coursed does
not prepare you for working in a clinic, it is very different from sitting in a class room.It is very fast paced and stressful with long hours and little pay.Plus there is a glut of new graduates.You would have been better off to have volunteered like I did - I didn't take the course and was offered 3 jobs because of all the experince I gained.It doesn't matter if you have a vet ass. diploma because clinics want experience.I spoke with a vet who use to teach the program but who later quit because they didn't think the course prepared the students properly plus they hire employees off the street and give them the "proper" training.Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Jimmy in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

45 months ago

I worked as a Vet Assistant for 2 years.Your best bet is to agree to volunteer for awhile at a clinic. Animal hospitals want trained assistants because it takes months to teach new graduates. The coursed does
not prepare you for working in a clinic, it is very different from sitting in a class room.It is very fast paced and stressful with long hours and little pay.Plus there is a glut of new graduates.You would have been better off to have volunteered like I did - I didn't take the course and was offered 3 jobs because of all the experince I gained.It doesn't matter if you have a vet ass. diploma because clinics want experience.I spoke with a vet who use to teach the program but who later quit because they didn't think the course prepared the students properly plus they hire employees off the street and give them the "proper" training.Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

tmf1977 in Yonkers, New York

45 months ago

Rebecca in Omaha, Nebraska said: I was thinking about doing an online college course for vet assisting.. is it really necessary to have this extra training?

Hi there,

My cousin so happens to be enrolled in her final year in a Vet Assistance program. Few things...

1) Most employees frown upon "on-line schools". You will need hands on experience. The program my cousin is enrolled in has lab, medicine, and clinic. Vet assistant is a clinical, hands-on job, I can't see how an on-line program could offer lab and clinical course work;

2) The program should be AMVA accredited. Don't fall for the state not having requirements in veterinary medicine. The veterinary field does havehigh standards. If your school is not accredited by the AMVA, it may be difficult for you to market a job, especially having little experience;

3) Wholeheartedly agree with the other posters: volunteer your time at a local animal shelter to see if you really like working with animals, and continue to volunteer your time while in school if you can swing it. My cousin volunteered for the ASPCA for a year before making the jump to enroll in a vet tech program. Far too many people think they would like something, rush off and spend money, only to graduate and find that they hate what they are doing. The experience will also give you an edge when looking for a job.

All the best!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

tmf1977 in Yonkers, New York

45 months ago

Just to clarify:

Check with your state if your state requires vets and vet techs to be licensed. In NY, you need to be licensed in order to practice vetrinary care, both as a vet-doc, and vet-tech. You can obtain this info on your State's government web-site.

Good luck!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

britbrat in Clayton, North Carolina

44 months ago

hi my name is brittany gibson and im in high school. im 17 and i would actually like to ask about the veterinary industry. im woindering if i would be able to get a job assisting a vet while im in high school, in a junior and i plan to do my sesnior paper on veterinarians and zoologists, because i plan to be one some day soon.
im an eager learner and i listen to direction, i love animals and really want to help any way i can. i own two dogs and a blue and gold macaw. ive owned many pets in my life including lizards sanakes and varieouse rodents. please let me know if you can help.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Ellie Blasco in Coeur d alene, Idaho

3 days ago

Joslyn in Bridgetown, Nova Scotia said: how stressful is the job....really?

YES. But I had more stress dealing with the front desk aspects.

BUT its been hard to locate and get the job. I either don't even get a thank you note at all or they are now overstaffed.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.