Top veterinary receptionist skills needed to get the job.

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (16)

Host

What are the top 3 traits or skills every veterinary receptionist must have to excel?

Can you suggest any tips or insights to develop your veterinary receptionist expertise?

Reply - Report abuse

annehuard in Sudbury, Ontario

98 months ago

Top 3 skills I would think would be
1. people person-client communication
2. phone etiquette
3.able to multi task

Taking receptionist courses throught VSPN & VETMED

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (27) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Cortney in Grand Rapids, Michigan

87 months ago

Don't forget.. a HUGE love for animals is a must.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (10) / No (7) Reply - Report abuse

cari in Hacienda Heights, California

83 months ago

a huge love for animals is not a must, its nice though, mainly you need common sence! along with ethic and love for life in general. know what is expected of you and do it with passion! knowing you represent the medicine being practiced here and you are proud of it, be confident and care free even in stress learn to smile and you will be the best receptionist you can be.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (16) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

Jenny Gamble in Germantown, Maryland

81 months ago

1. Positive energy. As soon as the client and the animal walk through the door they want to feel comfortable. A smile does the trick every time.
2. Patience I would say is also key
3. You should also know the general tests, surgeries, and remedies administered at the clinic. The knowledge of the basic requirements for a healthy pet are essential.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (21) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Margaret Nicholson in Dundee, United Kingdom

69 months ago

annehuard in Sudbury, Ontario said: Top 3 skills I would think would be
1. people person-client communication
2. phone etiquette
3.able to multi task

Taking receptionist courses throught VSPN & VETMED

Sorry, but what does VSPN & VETMED mean?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

Laurie in Minneapolis, Minnesota

67 months ago

cari in Hacienda Heights, California said: a huge love for animals is not a must, its nice though, mainly you need common sence! along with ethic and love for life in general. know what is expected of you and do it with passion! knowing you represent the medicine being practiced here and you are proud of it, be confident and care free even in stress learn to smile and you will be the best receptionist you can be.

Having some knowledge of animal care procedure would be quite helpful. Basic awareness of when puppies and kittens start vaccinations and information on the current school of thought on when to spay/neuter your pet is a question you will probably be asked quite often. By the way common sence is spelled sense...

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (13) / No (3) Reply - Report abuse

AmandaBurnette in Deerfield, New Hampshire

64 months ago

Margaret Nicholson in Dundee, United Kingdom said: Sorry, but what does VSPN & VETMED mean?

VSPN stands for Veterinary Support Personnel Network. I'm not sure if you will be able to enroll in classes since you're in the UK, but it's worth a try. Their website is vspn.org I've taken continuing education for being a Vet Tech, and they're pretty good.

Vet Med is a website for owners and vets. It's basically an info website about what condition your pet might have, what medicine it's on, etc. www.vetmedcenter.com is their website. I would use that to get familiar with terms used in hospitals and things like that.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (7) / No (2) Reply - Report abuse

be nice in Crowborough, United Kingdom

59 months ago

gogo in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: spelling???!!! Hope your not a receptionist

Give the girl a break you guys sound so snooty and frankly this person gave the most usefull feedback to the question asked so far anyway!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

AmandaBurnette in Deerfield, New Hampshire

59 months ago

I think it's kind of funny that the girl who freaked out about spelling doesn't know the different spellings and meanings of "your" and "you're".

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (11) / No (6) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

I think its kind of funny that a forum which is supposed to be helpfull has turned into a spelling B contest.
I think you have all missed the point you must live in surrey darling.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (9) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

59 months ago

be nice in Crowborough, United Kingdom said: I think its kind of funny that a forum which is supposed to be helpfull has turned into a spelling B contest.
I think you have all missed the point

Besides Im a social worker in the uk I complete reports and risk assesments and liase with the police and the NHS most days.
The fact that I am dislexic and cannot spell very well has never been an issue.
Why because I happen to have all of the qualities and personal attributes listed in about the only helpfull answer on here.
I smile.
Im polite and compassionate.
I get the important things that matter down on paper! I think youd have to be a reall jobsworth to send back a safeguarding adults report just because Id put your and you're the wrong way around jackass

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

jyp in Camberley, United Kingdom

58 months ago

gogo in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma said: spelling???!!! Hope your not a receptionist

You can't spell either!! It's "you're" not "your". Best check your dictionary before you critisize others. (and yes, I am a veterinary receptionist!)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (10) Reply - Report abuse

krae in New Iberia, Louisiana

53 months ago

be nice in Crowborough, United Kingdom said: Besides Im a social worker in the uk I complete reports and risk assesments and liase with the police and the NHS most days.
Why because I happen to have all of the qualities and personal attributes listed in about the only helpfull answer on here.
I smile.
I get the important things that matter down on paper! I think youd have to be a reall jobsworth to send back a safeguarding adults report just because Id put your and you're the wrong way around jackass

You know that is whats wrong with the world today, people are so worried about what other people are doing wrong that they don't even take the time to look at their own life! Just keep smileing and being you and know one can change that. I've always said there is nothing more beautiful on a person than their smile. I hope this makes you feel better. P.s I use to be dislexic too. :-) Oh and for those looking to critisize I know im not the best speller so have at it lol..!!!!!!!! mmmmwwwwwaaaahh

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No (4) Reply - Report abuse

Irritated in London, United Kingdom

32 months ago

be nice in Crowborough, United Kingdom said: Besides Im a social worker in the uk I complete reports and risk assesments and liase with the police and the NHS most days.
I smile.

You really can't spell and you so appear to rate yourself which is incredibly unattractive. Your spelling of helpfull is incorrect - it's helpful. Also reall is wrong, I presume you mean real. I too live in Crowborough (small world) and I think arrogance in a social worker is pretty worrying.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (5) Reply - Report abuse

OMG in Spring Hill, Florida

32 months ago

Irritated in London, United Kingdom said: You really can't spell and you so appear to rate yourself which is incredibly unattractive. Your spelling of helpfull is incorrect - it's helpful. Also reall is wrong, I presume you mean real. I too live in Crowborough (small world) and I think arrogance in a social worker is pretty worrying.

Speaking of arrogance, get over yourself and let spelling mistakes be. Why do you people insist on making mountains out of molehills with spelling mistakes in posts? If you care to be that way then you should make sure your own post is perfect, which it isn't punctuation/sentence wise. Those who cast stones should check they are not in a glass house.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (5) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.