Accreditation

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (7)

VTN27 in Boca Raton, Florida

80 months ago

Recently I have been looking into finally pursuing a job as a veterinary tech..unfortunately there are not many options in southern florida as far as schooling goes.
Miami-Dade college offers a vet tech program..however it has probationary accreditation. This raises a red flag for me. Is there a possibility for them to terminate the accreditation from this school?

Also-this being the case I am considering applying to the vet tech institute in Pittsburgh. Good/bad experiences?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

cindyrvt in Henderson, Texas

80 months ago

They could possibly pull their accredidation, however it's more likely that they are simply newly approved and still a relatively new program so don't have much history of student results on the National Veterinary Technician Exam. The pass rate of students on this test is assessed as part of the accredidation process.

Whatever veterinary technology program you choose, ensure that it is AVMA accredited. You may not always reside in Florida or they may change the laws governing the veterinary technology professon and an education from an accredited program will always be of benefit.

cutedoggie in Lady Lake, Florida

80 months ago

VTN27 in Boca Raton, Florida said: Recently I have been looking into finally pursuing a job as a veterinary tech..unfortunately there are not many options in southern florida as far as schooling goes.
Miami-Dade college offers a vet tech program..however it has probationary accreditation. This raises a red flag for me. Is there a possibility for them to terminate the accreditation from this school?

Also-this being the case I am considering applying to the vet tech institute in Pittsburgh. Good/bad experiences?

You can apply to St Pete for their online program

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Someone in the know.....

80 months ago

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas said: They could possibly pull their accredidation, however it's more likely that they are simply newly approved and still a relatively new program so don't have much history of student results on the National Veterinary Technician Exam. The pass rate of students on this test is assessed as part of the accredidation process.

Whatever veterinary technology program you choose, ensure that it is AVMA accredited. You may not always reside in Florida or they may change the laws governing the veterinary technology professon and an education from an accredited program will always be of benefit.

CindyRVT, if you are going to comment on accreditation standards you need to know what the AVMA says. Please read this page in its entirety and use this link when answering accreditation questions. You've got it wrong on provisional and don't understand the difference between that and probational. Probational status can mean alot of different deficiencies and unless you run or work with that program you really won't know what it is.

www.avma.org/education/cvea/vettech_programs/vettech_programs.asp

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

80 months ago

Provisional accredidation can also be pulled if the college doesn't meet the accredidation standards within a set time period...per the AVMA.

"Provisional Accreditation – New programs that have made significant progress towards meeting the Standards of Accreditation. The program will remain on provisional accreditation until achieving full accreditation, or for a period not to exceed five years. Programs with Provisional Accreditation classification may be placed on Probationary Accreditation or Accreditation Withdrawn if the program does not provide continuing evidence of progress toward meeting all Standards, or if it has been on provisional accreditation status for five years"--www.avma.org/education/cvea/cvtea_class.asp

Just looked it up..... in Dallas, Texas

54 months ago

The Veterinary Technology Program is accredited by the committee on Veterinary Technician Education and Activities (CVTEA) of the American Veterinary Medicine Association ( AVMA). The current accreditation period is October 25, 2009 to December 31, 2013.
CVTEA/AVMA
1931 N. Meachan Road, Suite 100
Schaumburg, IL 60173
off their website...I don't they would post this up there if it wasn't true...

54 months ago

Yes, it is currently accredited. The original converstaion was 2 years ago and the accredidation status at that time was different.

Accredidation can and does change based upon current conditions at a college. And must be maintained by having routine site visits and assessment of continued standards of education met by each college.

I am currently on a site visit team for one vet tech program to maintain it's long-held accreditation.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.