Bachelor programs online?

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (19)

Laura, RVT in Fort Wayne, Indiana

64 months ago

So I am really wanting to extend my education and get my bachelor degree. Mainly because I want to specialize in emergency and critical care and I'm also going to do the combined clinical and management track, for if I ever decide I want to run my own practice some day down the road.

Anywho, does anyone know of any colleges that offer the bachelor Vet Tech program, and also offer it online?

St. Petersburg College in FL has been the only one I have come across, and I wasn't sure if there were any others. I would definitely love to look into others if they exist!

Purdue does offer distance learning, but unfortunately only for the associate's degree. :(

I am currently living in Indiana and was going to the gen ed courses at my local college here and then do the veterinary courses online.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

64 months ago

There are only 20 schools in the US that currently offer a bachelor's degree in veterinary technology and to my knowledge St. Pete's is the only one that offers it online. You can find a lit of all of the colleges offering AVMA accredited bachelor's degree programs here:
www.avma.org/education/cvea/vettech_programs/bachelor_of_science_programs.asp

You can find the info on specializing in ECC here in case you haven't already looked into it: avecct.org/index

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Ben in Berwyn, Illinois

63 months ago

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas said: There are only 20 schools in the US that currently offer a bachelor's degree in veterinary technology and to my knowledge St. Pete's is the only one that offers it online. You can find a lit of all of the colleges offering AVMA accredited bachelor's degree programs here:
www.avma.org/education/cvea/vettech_programs/bachelor_of_science_programs.asp

You can find the info on specializing in ECC here in case you haven't already looked into it: avecct.org/index

Has anyone ever completed their bachelors at St. Pete's? If so, is it taken seriously?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

63 months ago

Yes, it's taken seriously. However it's also going to take you to the cleaners as the out-of-state tuition is around $300 per credit hour.

You do know that you don't have to have a bachelor's degree to specialize don't you?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

Laura, RVT in Fort Wayne, Indiana

63 months ago

I was always under the impression that you needed your bachelors to specialize, but after reading the requirements to specialize, I seen that isn't true. I'm conflicted for what I want to do now. Another reason I thought of getting my BS was for if I ever decided down the road I wanted to manage a practice, but I also seen that SPC has a certificate for veterinary office management. Not sure if that would be just as good or not.

Melissa in Houston, Texas

62 months ago

Is there a website that lists all of the available "specialities"?? I thought I heard someone say that oncebut I can't remember.... ;P

Thanks!

62 months ago

Yes, you can find a list of current specialties through NAVTA's website:
www.navta.net/index.php?pr=Specialties

SS in Pullman, Washington

58 months ago

Hey Laura,
I am attending st pete's currently and Yes it's worth the $$. And yes you can take all the gen ed credits elsewhere and transfer them (that's what I'm doing) I should finish next Spring with the mixed clinical/hospital tract. The one thing most important about education is no one can take it away from you. Once you have it, it's yours! So never let anyone tell you education is a waste of time! I am also a VTS, the BAS is not a requirement, but it doesnt hurt. Like all VTS members, advancing our profession is the main mission. No better way to do that but through education. Jumping off the soap box :)

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

58 months ago

There are definitely other options for management besides getting a BS in veterinary technology and following the management track. Though if you do want to get your BS in veterinary technology, Purdue offers one.

You can become a "Certified Veterinary Practice Manager" and it's not a cheap or useless certification program. It is a rigorous program but allows you the flexebility to earn your college credits close to home. www.vhma.org/displaycommon.cfm?an=1&subarticlenbr=214

Hopefully there will be more opportuniies for getting bachelors degrees in veterinary technology closer to home in the future.

April in Rochester, New York

55 months ago

Medaille in buffalo NY

Nicole in Brooklyn, New York

53 months ago

I initially wanted to specialize in critical care and I work at a big fancy specialty hospital with top of the line critical care. If you want to specialize, it should be for your own self benefit because chances are your employer won't care that much if you specialize. Don't get me wrong, it would look nice on your resume but I don't really think it's worth it in the professional realm because it's not widely recognized as a valuable certification. You should start with getting your license as a vet tech and work for awhile before you decide to specialize. I think most people find it's not really worth it unless you're doing it strictly for personal development as a critical care technician.

I think online certifications are inadequate. You can be a braniac nose-in the book nerd all you want but your doctor will want you to be able to place an IV catheter yesterday, intubate by yourself and run bloodwork with your toes all at the same time. At the very least, get a job as a veterinary assistant and earn yourself some hands on experience.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (3) / No Reply - Report abuse

Peggy Jennings in Dunlap, Illinois

45 months ago

I too, would like to get my Bachelors degree in Veterinary Technology but St. Petes is the only college that I can find that offers online learning. For those of who have to work full time it's impossible to go to a 4 year college. I already have my AAS,CVT from Bel-Rea but would like to further my education.

brooke in Wilmington, North Carolina

41 months ago

Peggy Jennings in Dunlap, Illinois said: I too, would like to get my Bachelors degree in Veterinary Technology but St. Petes is the only college that I can find that offers online learning. For those of who have to work full time it's impossible to go to a 4 year college. I already have my AAS,CVT from Bel-Rea but would like to further my education.

Delhi College in NY state offers a BBA in veterinary practice management. You have to already have your LVT or RVT degree, but then you can do the bachelor degree online.

brooke in Wilmington, North Carolina

41 months ago

Peggy Jennings in Dunlap, Illinois said: I too, would like to get my Bachelors degree in Veterinary Technology but St. Petes is the only college that I can find that offers online learning. For those of who have to work full time it's impossible to go to a 4 year college. I already have my AAS,CVT from Bel-Rea but would like to further my education.

Delhi College in NY state offers a BBA in veterinary practice management. You have to already have your LVT or RVT degree, but then you can do the bachelor degree online.

Courtney in Lumberton, Texas

32 months ago

I am currently working for a local clinic as a kennel assistant. I am looking to get my RVT degree but i have to do it online because there are no programs offered in my area. Does anyone know what the best accredited online program is? preferably one that isn't the most expensive.

Peggy Jennings, CVT in Chillicothe, Illinois

32 months ago

One of our assistants is taking the online course through Cedar Valley College in Lancaster Texas. She is doing very well with the course but she is an exceptional employee who is totally dedicated to obtaining her Veterinary Technician qualification. It is not an easy course and will take about 3 to 4 years to complete rather than the 18 months if you attend a technician school.

32 months ago

It can take that long, just like any of the other programs can as well if you don't carry a full course load each semester. AVMA accredited programs aren't going to be a "walk in the park" because they all must meet the same stringent requirements for the topics and skills that must be covered.

Sarah in Lehigh Acres, Florida

31 months ago

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas said: Yes, it's taken seriously. However it's also going to take you to the cleaners as the out-of-state tuition is around $300 per credit hour.

You do know that you don't have to have a bachelor's degree to specialize don't you?

It is now up to $1200 for a 3 credit course. And even though I have lived in Florida for 2 years, they will not grant me in state tuition. I have sent them everything they have asked for 6 months and they still won't. They have made me jump through hoops since October. All in vain. I wouldn't give this school a dime.

kcharn in Woodland Hills, California

3 months ago

SS in Pullman, Washington said: Hey Laura,
I am attending st pete's currently and Yes it's worth the $$. And yes you can take all the gen ed credits elsewhere and transfer them (that's what I'm doing) I should finish next Spring with the mixed clinical/ hospital tract. The one thing most important about education is no one can take it away from you. Once you have it, it's yours! So never let anyone tell you education is a waste of time! I am also a VTS, the BAS is not a requirement, but it doesnt hurt. Like all VTS members, advancing our profession is the main mission. No better way to do that but through education. Jumping off the soap box :)

I'm looking into schools and St. Pete's the only one I can find as a distance learning program that offers the BAS. I'm working as admin/vet asst full time for a mobile DVM and I'm excited to start a career. I thought I'd do BAS vs the AS program in case some time down the road I can do management, or at least have it as an option. Your response helped me feel a little more relieved about where to go. There's so many schools and you can't ever tell which one will be beneficial in the end. Glad to hear you're having a good experience with them. Thanks for the post. :)

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.