Cost of Online Vet Tech Programs

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (9)

mmarino in Saint Paul, Minnesota

53 months ago

i'm trying to find out the cost of the vet tech programs out there, i see people sayong about "hidden fees" and such... but can't really find a number on cost. i saw that Penn Foster is Roughly $6500 for the whole program, but what are thjose other fees? or how about SJC, i haven't really found a cost for that program...
if you have any info please share, it would be very much appreciated.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (4) / No Reply - Report abuse

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

53 months ago

You need to contact each college you are interested in and ask them directly what the total cost of their program is. Fees can vary greatly---for example St. Petersburg in Florida charges $300+ per credit hour for out-of-state tuition while San Juan College in New Mexico charges $70 per credit hour for out-of-state tuition.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

KAT the Dog Lover in Long Beach, California

53 months ago

SJC is increasing its tuition rates as of Fall 2010 semester. Their new out-of-state tuition will be $97 per credit ($91 per credit hour + $6 per credit hour student fee). Books and supplies are not included.

Even with the new fee schedule, the full 56-credit VT program is under $5,000 (very reasonable) and takes 2-3 years to complete, depending on how many courses a student takes each semester (Fall, Spring, Summer). AND most, if not all, VT courses are available every semester.

For the Associate in Applied Sciences (AAS/AS) degree in Veterinary Technology, students must also meet General Eduction requirements (best to take those locally and send the transcripts to SJC), for a total of 75 credit hours to earn an AAS in VT.

It's a great place to start...and an Associate degree is transferable to 4-year Bachelor degree program.

53 months ago

That's under $5,500 beginning this fall and if the rates aren't raised again in the next three years.

And financial aid (grants, scholarships, loans) is available for those who qualify. The current maximum in Stafford loans for this educational level are $6,000 subsidized and $4,500 unsubsidized annually ($10,500 max per yr). The full annual loan package is disbursed by SJC over the course of each semester taken in the loan year at full-time status (minimum 6 credit hours per semester).

Consider this: the full maximum loan amounts in one year ($10,500) can cover the cost of the entire program's tuition, books, supplies, and an inexpensive PC & printer, if budgeted well.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (2) / No Reply - Report abuse

tammie snyder in Columbia, Missouri

29 months ago

mmarino in Saint Paul, Minnesota said: i'm trying to find out the cost of the vet tech programs out there, i see people sayong about "hidden fees" and such... but can't really find a number on cost. i saw that Penn Foster is Roughly $6500 for the whole program, but what are thjose other fees? or how about SJC, i haven't really found a cost for that program...
if you have any info please share, it would be very much appreciated.

yes and no because i need the real cost and how long you have to go to college for

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No (1) Reply - Report abuse

28 months ago

Tammy:

The program at SJC is designed as a 2-year, Associate In Applied Sciences degree program. How long takes each individual student will vary depending on how many courses taken each semester and whether one takes summer courses as well. There are 4 Tier levels, and each Tier level has about 7 or 8 courses, so your semester schedule is totally up to you.

2011-12 academic year tuition for Non-Resident students (including online/distance learning students) is $115 per credit hour ($105 per credit hour - plus $10 per credit hour minimum general fee). It will probably increase for the 2012-13 academic year.

The Tiers 2-4 build from the first tier of basics, and you have to also figure in the General Ed requirements for the degree. (G.E.s may be taken at a local community/junior college, but make sure that they are transferable to SJC's requirements for the AAS degree.)

Also, the financial aid package of grants, scholarships, loans, etc., is somewhat dependent on full-time student status. But check with SJC Financial Aid office for details.

TSmith1967 in Los Angeles, California

22 months ago

I just received an information package for Penn Foster. I'm confused because it says monthly payments of $39. How long is the program?

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

Jennifer in New Cumberland, Pennsylvania

17 months ago

It ranges widely! I believe Purdue's distance learning is excess of $20k, whereas at a smaller school like San Juan you'll only pay $30-$70 per credit hour, which works out to like $2000-$5000. There's some more info here: www.veterinary-technician.net/veterinary-technician-online/

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

17 months ago

Take the info on veterinary-technician.net with a grain of salt. It's isn't completely accurate.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.