Deciding between campus or online Vet Tech courses

Get new comments by email
You can cancel email alerts at anytime.
Comments (6)

Equino in Cortlandt Manor, New York

48 months ago

I graduated in 1999 with a BS, have since been managing at various horse farms, and now would like to return to school to go for a VT license. I was looking at Penn Foster, but the comments here have scared me away. I will look into San Juan College. I had taken a course at Mercy College a few years ago before I realized I just didn't have the time to devote to my studies. How did you decide which to take, while having a job (and a mortgage to pay!)?

Also, anyone here attend Mercy in Dobbs Ferry, NY? I just can't decide which is the best route for me. Ideally, I could do online classes as well as on campus classes-I know I need a Biology and Bio-Chem class still, no idea how that would work online.

I'm still in the thought planning process, so ay advice is greatly appreciated!

- Was this comment helpful? Yes / No Reply - Report abuse

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

48 months ago

If at all possible, I would highly recommend that you go to an on-campus program. Vets tend to be more trusting of the education you recieve and you don't have to have a position at a veterinary facility in order to finish your degree.

I managed to work full-time and go to school full-time, but it requires having a job that is willing/able to work around your school schedule.

Discouraged Future Tech in Long Beach, California

48 months ago

Sounds like an on-line program is considered inferior to an on-campus program, and some people may even think it is a waste of time and money. With San Juan College's distance learning program being so highly recommended, I am now beginning to question the whole point of it.

- Was this comment helpful? Yes (1) / No Reply - Report abuse

Bud in Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

47 months ago

You would probably have to get your bio and chem pre-requisites at a local community college. Online vet tech programs are nice for people who already have busy schedules - the hardest part is finding a clinical mentor that will let you complete the hands-on portion of the curiculum at their practice. Here's a pretty good blog post about finding a clinical mentor: www.veterinary-technician.net/2010/02/03/online-vet-tech-programvi-advce-finding-a-clinical-mentor/

Bonifay in Virginia Beach, Virginia

47 months ago

All the information is very helpful so far. I was wondering why San Juan College is much cheaper than other schools? I have been enrolled in two different community colleges one in Corpus Christi, Texas with an in-state tuition of $140.00. The other school is located in Virginia Beach, VA with the in-state tuition of $280.00 per semester hour. I want to go to a good school and I feel that San Juan's tuition is too good to be true with out-of-state tuition being $70.00 per semester hour. I am very interested to attend this school. Has any one here attended San Juan College? Your imput would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Bonifay

PS I am hoping to start in the Fall 2010.

CindyRVT in Henderson, Texas

47 months ago

Bonifay,
I haven't asked Dr. Wright (the DVM who is in charge of San Juan's vet tech program) why the tuition is so much lower but I can assure you that the staff at San Juan are good and determined to turn out well-educated graduates. Dr. Wright was the director of the on-site program I attended in Texas many years ago and his two technicians were on staff there.

» Sign in or create an account to comment on this topic.